View Full Version : 4/8/10 vs Cards...hoping to avoid sweep

Pages : 1 [2]

HeatherC1212
04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump:

Nice win today guys. Let's kick some Cubbie behind this weekend! :D

Will M
i said to myself "why not pinch hit Dickerson for Gomes? what are odds Gomes will hit a walk off vs a RHP? lets try to get a guy on base. or maybe pinch hit Nix or Francisco since they hit left handed? they certainly have a better chance to hit a HR than Gomes."

I humbly acknowledge that I have been outsmarted by Dusty Baker.

Go Reds!

REDblooded
Good job Baker...

Strikes Out Looking
Tony outsmarted himself right there. Motte basically threw nothing but fastballs to Gomes and the last one was a high fastball that was a no doubter once it left the bat.

Good to have number 1.

lollipopcurve
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Does Arroyo get special credit for pitching a great game early in the year against the Cards?

Jonny Jackit Gomes turns around a mid-90s heater to win it. Can't wait to see the replay.

camisadelgolf
If I were Motte, I might throw something other than a fastball the next time I see Gomes.

dougdirt
Gomes can't hit RHP.

Booyah.

Here is how my converation went with my friend

Me - So we get a RHP who only throws fastballs and we left Francisco on the bench for Gomes? (expletives deleted) Shows what I know!

My friend - Does that mean you have to apologize to Dusty now?

Edd Roush
04-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Big win!! Now let's carry that momentum into the weekend and sweep the Cubs! I like all three of our match-ups over the weekend.

Ron Madden
04-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm very happy that the Reds resigned Gomes. :)

Spring~Fields
04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
St. Louis 1, Cincinnati 2 :clap:

Scoring Summary
Bot 5th: Cincinnati
- B. Arroyo singled to shallow center, R. Hanigan scored

Top 7th: St. Louis
- M. Holliday homered to deep left center

Bot 9th: Cincinnati
- J. Gomes homered to deep left center

Cincinnati AB R H RBI BB SO
Stubbs, CF 3 0 0 0 1 1
Cabrera, SS 4 0 1 0 0 1
Votto, 1B 3 0 2 0 1 0
Phillips, 2B 3 0 0 0 1 0
Rolen, 3B 4 0 0 0 0 1
Bruce, RF 4 0 0 0 0 1
Gomes, LF 4 1 2 1 0 1
Hanigan, C 3 1 2 0 0 0
Arroyo, P 3 0 1 1 0 0
Cordero, P 0 0 0 0 0 0
Totals 31 2 8 2 3 5

Reds Batting
2B - R Hanigan (1, B Penny).
HR - J Gomes (1, 9th inning off J Motte 0 on, 1 Out).
RBI - J Gomes (1), B Arroyo (1).

Reds Fielding
E - O Cabrera (1, field); S Rolen (1, field).
DP - 1 (B Phillips-O Cabrera).

Pitching

IP H R ER BB K HR
B. Penny 7.0 6 1 1 2 0
M. Boggs 1.0 1 0 0 1 1 0
T. Miller 0.1 0 0 0 0 0 0
J. Motte 0.0 1 1 1 0 0 1 (L, 0-1)

Cincinnati
B. Arroyo 8.0 4 1 1 3 6 1
F. Cordero 1.0 0 0 0 0 2 0 (W, 1-0)

Pitches-strikes - T Miller 2-2; J Motte 6-4; B Penny 100-70; M Boggs 23-13;
B Arroyo 109-75; F Cordero 14-8.

Ground balls-fly balls - T Miller 0-1; J Motte 0-1; B Penny 13-4; M Boggs 2-1;
B Arroyo 9-9; F Cordero 1-0.

Batters faced - T Miller 1; J Motte 1; B Penny 27; M Boggs 5;
B Arroyo 31; F Cordero 3

guttle11
04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
So I can continue to camp out for playoff tickets, right?

SirFelixCat
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
1-0 when starting game thread...and dramatic at that! :thumbup:

redsmetz
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Way to Go-mes!

:clap::clap::thumbup: Very nice.

edabbs44
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm very happy that the Reds resigned Gomes. :)

He should see plenty of time this year until proven otherwise.

Sea Ray
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Let's hope they can win when they're on TV too. Only winning these non televised games won't lead to a banner year...

redsfan30
04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Nothing will shake off the winter blues like hearing Marty call a walk-off homerun!

Homer Bailey
04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
MY BOY!!!!

Tough week for the O-Cab/Gomes haters.....

nate
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
MY BOY!!!!

Tough week for the O-Cab/Gomes haters.....

I'm not sure anyone here "hates" either of them.

Maybe it's a "tough week" for hyperbolists.

REDblooded
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I typically follow reds vs. cardinals games on a STL based site's game threads.... More fun to pick fights with those guys and say what you want to say than play friendly and speak PG here... (just for Cards games)...

They HATE Motte... Said he's lost a few ticks off of his fastball after losing weight in the offseason, and that it's NEVER had movement, and he still has no breaking pitch... Explains why Gomes finally had success vs. the righty.. The match-up was perfect... Sit on fastball, and know they're all gonna be straight as an arrow... It's like a batting cage.

Eric_the_Red
04-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Or the worst week in the history of man for hyperbolists.

edabbs44
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Maybe he was using "hater" in the Jersey Shore sense rather than the literal sense.

redsmetz
04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I typically follow reds vs. cardinals games on a STL based site's game threads.... More fun to pick fights with those guys and say what you want to say than play friendly and speak PG here... (just for Cards games)...

They HATE Motte... Said he's lost a few ticks off of his fastball after losing weight in the offseason, and that it's NEVER had movement, and he still has no breaking pitch... Explains why Gomes finally had success vs. the righty.. The match-up was perfect... Sit on fastball, and know they're all gonna be straight as an arrow... It's like a batting cage.

My son just called and said he got a text from my sister-in-law saying, "Reds got lucky today." He disagreed, noted Bronson outpitched them and we won. She went on about how this pitcher's mechanics are all messed up etc. We both said, "So?" - it happens, you lose games.

Wait, no she texted back and clarified. She meant Arroyo's delivery was all messed up and he'd never succeed in the Majors. Oh dear me, my sister-in-law, God love her. Oh well.

PuffyPig
04-08-2010, 03:45 PM
i said to myself "why not pinch hit Dickerson for Gomes? what are odds Gomes will hit a walk off vs a RHP? lets try to get a guy on base. or maybe pinch hit Nix or Francisco since they hit left handed? they certainly have a better chance to hit a HR than Gomes."

I humbly acknowledge that I have been outsmarted by Dusty Baker.

Go Reds!

And for good reason.

Goomes had 15 HR last year v., RH pitching, the exact same number that Nix did.

But Goomes did his in 180 AB's, Nix 277.

nate
04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Or the worst week in the history of man for hyperbolists.

Indeed.

Which is saying something!

:cool:

reds44
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
My brother called the Gomes walkoff. Thank God, getting the first W feels good. Now get 2 of 3 from the Cubs before we head out on the road.

Gomes destroyed that ball.

Ltlabner
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Got to hear bits and pieces of the game.

Lowlights: Still a lot of first pitch swinging into easy outs and a couple of defensive miscues from the left side of the infield.

Highlights: Sounds like Bronson was 100% totally on his game and cruising. Dusty using the leverage pitcher in the leverage situation instead of following the book. Of course, Gomes with the "confidence booster" to win the game.

I love being able to hear day games via the miracle of baseball in space.

edabbs44
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Dusty wasn't using the "leverage" pitcher in the "leverage" situation...he was using his closer in the 9th b/c there were no more save situations to be had since Cincy was at home.

If it was a road game, Cordero wouldn't have been in the game.

HeatherC1212
04-08-2010, 04:39 PM
My son just called and said he got a text from my sister-in-law saying, "Reds got lucky today." He disagreed, noted Bronson outpitched them and we won. She went on about how this pitcher's mechanics are all messed up etc. We both said, "So?" - it happens, you lose games.

Wait, no she texted back and clarified. She meant Arroyo's delivery was all messed up and he'd never succeed in the Majors. Oh dear me, my sister-in-law, God love her. Oh well.

If she knew that Bronson had pitched pretty well in the AL and actually has a world series ring to his credit, would her head explode from all that information? :laugh:

Sea Ray
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Bronson is arguably the most durable pitcher in MLB. Anyone who claims he has bad mechanics is over his head

redsmetz
04-08-2010, 04:47 PM
If she knew that Bronson had pitched pretty well in the AL and actually has a world series ring to his credit, would her head explode from all that information? :laugh:

Actually my son figured out it was her husband who was once an athletic trainer for the Rangers. We don't agree on much, so this is just one more thing... I'll take Bronson's "lousy mechanics" every day of the week if that's what they look like it. Brantley said one of his pitches (change up? slider? can't remember now) was as good as he's ever seen it.

reds1869
04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I sat in the front row in right-center today. I really enjoyed the perspective, I've never sat there before. When Gomes crushed that ball I knew immediately it was gone; it was a real no doubter. He is a wonderful player to have on your roster and I'm glad the Reds resigned him. I left GABP with a spring in my step and can't wait to make the Cubs miserable!

RBA
04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
MY BOY!!!!

Tough week for the O-Cab....... haters.....

I guess we can enjoy the "E" next to his name in the box score. :rolleyes:

reds1869
04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I guess we can enjoy the "E" next to his name in the box score. :rolleyes:

In fairness, Phillips could have had one as well if not for the infield fly invocation. Pujols almost botched a routine popup and he is as sure as they come. The wind was really whipping today so I can't place too much blame for an error on a foul ball.

RBA
04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
In fairness.

There is no 'fairness' in hate. ;)

Hoosier Red
04-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I sat in the front row in right-center today. I really enjoyed the perspective, I've never sat there before. When Gomes crushed that ball I knew immediately it was gone; it was a real no doubter. He is a wonderful player to have on your roster and I'm glad the Reds resigned him. I left GABP with a spring in my step and can't wait to make the Cubs miserable!

I've sat in the outfield seats and generally don't like them. But on home run balls there's a different perspective whether its coming to your side or not that you just don't have in a lot of the seats in the bowl around the stadium.

My favorite is when I'm in the outfield seats and a home run ball is coming at me. There's a moment where you really have to judge, 1) how hard is this ball coming, 2) how big of a whole will it leave in me if I try to get in front of it.

vaticanplum
04-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Time to skin some baby bears now. Oooooh I love this time of year.

Caveat Emperor
04-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Just because it can't be repeated enough -- Arroyo's effort today was exactly what the team needed.

I know that there's going to be an inevitable Bronson Meltdown Game™ where he doesn't even make it out of the 2nd inning, but if he can throw more games like this in the first half of the year, it'll go a long way towards keeping the Reds interesting.

Spring~Fields
04-08-2010, 11:00 PM
but if he can throw more games like this in the first half of the year, it'll go a long way towards keeping the Reds interesting.

Absolutely it will, and it can become contagious too, acting in a manner of a group or team synergy toward really fun and interesting outcomes throughout the other individual players and team as a whole.

He did a super nice job today. The other's have it within to do it too.

Sea Ray
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Of course he'll have his meltdown games but you gotta love his going 8 innings on a sore calf and protecting this fragile bullpen in order to give his team a shot at its first win. All in all we know what we'll get out of Bronson year in and year out and I'm now seriously considering that he's not overpaid and that they ought to consider picking up his option for next yr.

WVRedsFan
04-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Maybe it was my present mental state (which is not good) or maybe it was just my old age that got to me, but I totally forgot about today's game. Wandered through a tough day at work unaware and headed to the net at about the end of the day to see what time the game started. To my surpise, the Reds won 2-1. Nice. Nicer still was seeing Gomes won the game in a walk off and all was well with the world. Still, there are concerns.

Watching the first two games of the season, it seemed as if it was a lost cause. The OD game where the bullpen and teh lineup just sucked, the second game where after a good start by Cueto, Dusty makes a big mistake by putting an unproven pitcher into the game and the result was disaster, I was in a funk. Sure, we faced their two best pitchers, and I'm still cussing the league for allowing us to have to face these two at the start of the season, but we looked horrid. The shortstop looked slow, the offense seemed anemic (and still does), and the pitching looked overwhelmed.

One swing from Gomes made everything right. It may be fool's gold, however. So far, the shortstop looks old, the right fielder looks overwhelmed, and the other two outfield spots seem undetermined (though I like Stubbs in center and Gomes in right with Dickerson as the fourth outfielder). The starters have combined for 19 innings of 14 hits and only 5 earned runs. A 2.36 ERA. The bullpen has failed so far along with the offense. So far, the team has averaged less than 4 runs. That will be the problem. Too many early swings, even if against three of the league's best.

My high hopes are alive, but what evil force would pit the Reds against the two strongest teams in the division? To start the season? No respect.

Ron Madden
04-09-2010, 03:35 AM
I couldn't put into words just how much I'd love to see the Reds sweep the Cubs but I'd settle for two outta three.