PDA

View Full Version : Did not know this....

George Foster
04-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Was watching the baseball highlights tonight. I feel I know a lot about baseball, especially the rules. I saw something tonight that I did not know, this is why baseball is the greatest game.

During the Seattle-A's game, a A's player lays down a good bunt down the third base line, the 3rd baseman attempts to pick the ball up but missed it..runner safe a first. The Seattle catcher picks up the ball in fair territory with is catchers mask. The runner is awarded 2nd base. Wow...did not know that the catcher could not do this. Did YOU know this rule??

Farnsie
04-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Uhmm... No. Seems like a kinda weird rule.

Newport Red
04-09-2010, 08:49 AM
I did not know this. Possible something I'll never see again.

BigJohn
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
in high school it is 3 bases!
http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001186

CySeymour
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Yep, just like a fielder cannot use his hat to catch a ball.

scott91575
04-09-2010, 11:02 AM
It is a really, really old rule. In fact I think it goes back to some of the first rules in baseball. In the old days (and I am talking 1800's) some players actually used their hats to catch fly balls. They created a rule to eliminate the use of hats and other equipment to field the ball. It's also in place to prevent players from throwing their equipment around to stop a ball.

bgwilly31
04-09-2010, 12:50 PM
At first the way you worded it i thought you meant the catcher filed the ball with his mask still on his head and that was against the rules.

Yeah i knew you werent aloud to obstruct the ball with your equipment.

Your not aloud to take your glove off and throw it at a homerun ball in a attempt to knock it down either.