PDA

View Full Version : Yonder Alonso in left last night?

ddrone
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Any word on how Alonso looked in left field last night?

Just wondering,as I got big hopes for his bat.

membengal
04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Try checking out this thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81195

icehole3
04-09-2010, 01:30 PM
mem, thats just a game thread it doesnt answer the question, I was wondering as well if anyone was able to attend the game or saw it on tv

DntKnw
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
According to the milb.com game thread, he had two putouts. He also fielded a ground ball double and a lined single. Don't know if these were clean or misplayed.

Not much to go on.

membengal
04-09-2010, 03:45 PM
If anyone knows, it will be in threads like that, where a bunch of those guys have MILBTV packages.

muddie
04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I live near the Mudcats park and will see several games this year, beginning with the home opener. I'll convey what I see. I am especially interested in his move to left. I saw him play first base here last year when he wasn't injured.

dougdirt
04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
If anyone knows, it will be in threads like that, where a bunch of those guys have MILBTV packages.

Carolina unfortunately isn't going to be on the Milb.tv package as far as I know.

TheNext44
04-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Can Justin Smoak play LF? And I'm not trying to be cute. I really have no idea.

When Should Rangers Call Up Smoak? (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/04/when-should-rangers-call-up-smoak.html)

Smoak, who is ranked as baseball's ninth-best prospect by Keith Law and 13th overall by Baseball America, currently remains in Triple A. Let's take a look at the pros and cons of bringing Smoak to the majors in the near future.

BTW, here are his numbers through the first 10 games

.353 .500 .647 1.147

fearofpopvol1
04-18-2010, 09:04 PM
there was a pretty big contingency of folks from here that wanted smoak over alonso.

REDblooded
04-19-2010, 05:47 AM
there was a pretty big contingency of folks from here that wanted smoak over alonso.

and more yet that wanted Beckham over either...

GIDP
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
and more yet that wanted Beckham over either...

That contingency has had a huge influx in people that I dont remember seeing back in the day.

HokieRed
04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
That contingency has had a huge influx in people that I dont remember seeing back in the day.

Watch it get smaller again when Alonso comes up and tears up the NL for the Reds.

JaxRed
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I'll say it now, no matter what happens in future. Beckham made more sense for us as a power hitting infielder (SS, 2b, or 3b). And if you were going to take a 1b, I prefer Smoak over Alonso.

GIDP
04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I'll say it now, no matter what happens in future. Beckham made more sense for us as a power hitting infielder (SS, 2b, or 3b). And if you were going to take a 1b, I prefer Smoak over Alonso.

Id agree with that. I also dont think they took Alonso because he was better though. I think you have to weigh in that if Alonso produces his trade value is going to be more valuable than a guy like Gordan Beckham.

Scrap Irony
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
He'll have to be pretty valuable, then, as a power-hitting infielder-- especially at 2B or SS-- has inherently more value than a power-hitting 1B.

In other words, I'd rather have Beckham at an 850 OPS over Alonso at a 900 OPS.

And, for the record, I would have loved to have drafted Smoak over Alonso. He's a switch-hitter (something this lineup sorely needs) and has shown more power.

flyer85
04-19-2010, 11:57 AM
as the Reds found filling the middle infield positions is tougher than 1b. The Alonso pick left me scratching my head and still does ... and the Reds still don't have a competent SS.

GIDP
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
He'll have to be pretty valuable, then, as a power-hitting infielder-- especially at 2B or SS-- has inherently more value than a power-hitting 1B.

In other words, I'd rather have Beckham at an 850 OPS over Alonso at a 900 OPS.

And, for the record, I would have loved to have drafted Smoak over Alonso. He's a switch-hitter (something this lineup sorely needs) and has shown more power.

Sure but if you were going to ask me which was more likely before the Draft I would have said Alonso OPSing over .900. I still dont think Beckham is going to be a .850 bat. I kinda soured on Beckham when I started to realize he wasnt going to stick at SS.

dougdirt
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
as the Reds found filling the middle infield positions is tougher than 1b. The Alonso pick left me scratching my head and still does ... and the Reds still don't have a competent SS.

Drafting Beckham wouldn't have changed that.

dougdirt
04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Justin Smoak vs lefties in his MILB career .215/.304/.331. Sure, he switch hits.... but so far he has absolutely sucked at it.

TRF
04-19-2010, 12:45 PM

probably, but him at 3B might mean the Reds don't make that trade for Rolen.

I could have lived with that.

dougdirt
04-19-2010, 12:49 PM
probably, but him at 3B might mean the Reds don't make that trade for Rolen.

I could have lived with that.

If the Reds drafted Beckham he would still be in the minors. He would have been behind both Frazier and Francisco and probably in AA or AAA right now.

TRF
04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
If the Reds drafted Beckham he would still be in the minors. He would have been behind both Frazier and Francisco and probably in AA or AAA right now.

conjecture. behind Francisco, maybe. behind Fazier and his merry go round of positions? no. Not at 3B anyway. And more to the point, Alonso is behind both those guys right now but in LF.

And if Alonso can play a passable defense in LF, He's got to get past them to supplant Gomes, whereas Beckham would have to get past the same two guys to replace EE. six of one...

Beckham was in a better position to force management's hand. If the Alonso LF experiment fails, he's behind Dorn, who is killing the ball at Louisville and Votto. Steep hill. His bat is working, but have we gotten a report on the defense yet? I know he has thrown a runner out, so the arm is accurate. How strong was the throw? How is he on reads? Routes?

Bumstead
04-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Justin Smoak vs lefties in his MILB career .215/.304/.331. Sure, he switch hits.... but so far he has absolutely sucked at it.

To be fair Doug, Smoak has developed faster than Alonso and is rightfully rated ahead of him at this point in their respective careers. Neither player has hit LHP very well as of yet, but Smoak has outhit Yonder so far. Having said that, I still like Yonder in the long run but I think both players will be very good at the MLB level.

Bum

HokieRed
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Alonso, IMHO, is not behind anybody. He's just learning to play till he takes over and moves other people.

dougdirt
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
To be fair Doug, Smoak has developed faster than Alonso and is rightfully rated ahead of him at this point in their respective careers. Neither player has hit LHP very well as of yet, but Smoak has outhit Yonder so far. Having said that, I still like Yonder in the long run but I think both players will be very good at the MLB level.

Bum

Alonso out hit Smoak last season, though both guys dealt with injuries and were at different levels. But the whole point was that Smoak being a switch hitter isn't really a bonus, because he can't hit lefties. Or at least hasn't yet.

TRF
04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Switch hitters that don't hit from a certain side are like "if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, who gives a crap?"

nemesis
04-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Id agree with that. I also dont think they took Alonso because he was better though. I think you have to weigh in that if Alonso produces his trade value is going to be more valuable than a guy like Gordan Beckham.

A team like the Reds shouldn't be concerned with trade value as much as positional value. This franchise needs to draft for future value. We had a young guy at 1B who had been productive throughout his minor league career. I think he was MVP of the Southern League and Rook of the Year in AAA back to back years. We had no clear SS of the future and knew how expensive Phillips was going to become in 2011. So why take Alonso over Beckham? Beckham could have solved the SS issue at least as a stop gap and moved over to 2B next year. Heck he could make the conversion over to LF easier than Alonso probably.

The FO needs to draft based on contract futures and even need somewhat vs PBA. The draft is a crapshoot. Heyward was passed on by 10 - 15 teams and he will probably turn out to be the best player in that draft class...

dougdirt
04-19-2010, 02:12 PM
A team like the Reds shouldn't be concerned with trade value as much as positional value. This franchise needs to draft for future value. We had a young guy at 1B who had been productive throughout his minor league career. I think he was MVP of the Southern League and Rook of the Year in AAA back to back years. We had no clear SS of the future and knew how expensive Phillips was going to become in 2011. So why take Alonso over Beckham? Beckham could have solved the SS issue at least as a stop gap and moved over to 2B next year. Heck he could make the conversion over to LF easier than Alonso probably.

The FO needs to draft based on contract futures and even need somewhat vs PBA. The draft is a crapshoot. Heyward was passed on by 10 - 15 teams and he will probably turn out to be the best player in that draft class...

You can never draft based on needs because as you say, its a crapshoot.

HokieRed
04-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Only one way to draft: BPA, and for once in 2008 we got him. Just give him time.

Kingspoint
04-20-2010, 06:43 PM
If anyone wants to reminisce about the possible drafting of Beckham, here's a June 4th thread from right before the draft:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68972&highlight=gordon+beckham

kpresidente
04-21-2010, 06:28 AM
You can never draft based on needs because as you say, its a crapshoot.

If it's a crapshoot, then there's no such thing as BPA, as all bets are equally slim.

Of course, the thing is, Alonso wasn't the BPA. Every draft board I saw had Beckham higher than Alonso, and if my memory serves, Smoak as well. I think the highest I saw Alonso was like 12th.

GIDP
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
If it's a crapshoot, then there's no such thing as BPA, as all bets are equally slim.

Of course, the thing is, Alonso wasn't the BPA. Every draft board I saw had Beckham higher than Alonso, and if my memory serves, Smoak as well. I think the highest I saw Alonso was like 12th.

BPA for the Reds might not be the same as someone just ranking them.

flyer85
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
I have no doubt he could play SS better than Cabrera

ddrone
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey,I got a question.

Any one see Yonder Alonso in left last night?

dougdirt
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM

You take the BPA according to your scouts. Our scouts must have thought Alonso BPA.

TRF
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
You take the BPA according to your scouts. Our scouts must have thought Alonso BPA.

Joe Mauer says hi. So does Scott Kazmir.

You know that doesn't always happen. And these guys make mistakes.

I do think at the point the reds drafted, 8th, that the talent pool becomes muddied a bit. Beckham, Smoak and Alonso probably were considered similar talent for overall production. Then you can add need, ability to fast track to BPA.

It isn't black and white and it shouldn't be. I don't mind the Alonso pick. I hope he tears it up while playing at least average LF defense. But I won't be upset if he's packaged for a player that helps the 25 man roster either.

flyer85
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
the funny thing is I have no doubt Beckham would be a better SS than Alonso will be a LF.

The Reds currently have 3 infielders(Frazier, Alonso, Francisco) playing at least some OF in AA/AAA because they are blocked at their infield positions.

At some point someone is going to have to go. Hopefully this time the resources will be used to attempt to solve a long term issue.

bubbachunk
04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey,I got a question.

Any one see Yonder Alonso in left last night?

Same, it would be nice to know if anyone has heard any reports on his defense vs the same old rehash of Alonso vs Beckham vs Smoak

dougdirt
04-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Joe Mauer says hi. So does Scott Kazmir.
Joe Mauer was the #1 overall draft pick?

You know that doesn't always happen. And these guys make mistakes.
Of course they make mistakes. I just don't get the idea where the Reds have already completely failed that pick like some talk about. It isn't like we drafted Kyle Skipworth that season.

Boss-Hog
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Same, it would be nice to know if anyone has heard any reports on his defense vs the same old rehash of Alonso vs Beckham vs Smoak
Agreed - can we please start a separate thread for the 'Who should the Reds have drafted in 2008' discussion?

Bumstead
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I have no doubt he could play SS better than Cabrera

Based on what? No scouting director or General Manager in 2008 thought Gordon Beckham would ever play SS in MLB. Every single one of them knew he would turn into a 3B or 2b or even a 1B when he it MLB. Cabrera has played SS in MLB for how long? C'mon.

TRF
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Based on what? No scouting director or General Manager in 2008 thought Gordon Beckham would ever play SS in MLB. Every single one of them knew he would turn into a 3B or 2b or even a 1B when he it MLB. Cabrera has played SS in MLB for how long? C'mon.

and played it poorly last year, and worse so far this year.

nmculbreth
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
the funny thing is I have no doubt Beckham would be a better SS than Alonso will be a LF.

The Reds currently have 3 infielders(Frazier, Alonso, Francisco) playing at least some OF in AA/AAA because they are blocked at their infield positions.

At some point someone is going to have to go. Hopefully this time the resources will be used to attempt to solve a long term issue.

In fairness, I think the decision to try Francisco in the OF has far more to do with his inability to play 3B rather than him being blocked at the big league level.

In regards to the Red's decision to try Alonso in LF, I like the move by the organization. I don't like his chances of sticking in LF long term, but even if he were able to play a decent LF for a few years he could be a huge boost for the big league club. If nothing else it would buy the Reds a couple more years to evaluate both he and Joey Votto and determine who best fits in the organization's long term plans.

Bumstead
04-21-2010, 06:04 PM
and played it poorly last year, and worse so far this year.

Maybe. Pretty small sample for this season...My point is that Cabrera has been a legitimate MLB SS while Beckham was never going to play there. I'm still amazed that people continue to bring him up as a SS when none of the 30 MLB teams scouts and GM's would even have considered him a SS when he was drafted. The choice to take Alonso takes undue abuse on this board; these picks haven't even had a reasonable amount of time to develop. The expectations around that pick is ridiculous; what has Beckham done anyway? Nothing overly fantastic...it's not like he's Lincecum... :rolleyes:

camisadelgolf
04-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Maybe. Pretty small sample for this season...My point is that Cabrera has been a legitimate MLB SS while Beckham was never going to play there. I'm still amazed that people continue to bring him up as a SS when none of the 30 MLB teams scouts and GM's would even have considered him a SS when he was drafted. The choice to take Alonso takes undue abuse on this board; these picks haven't even had a reasonable amount of time to develop. The expectations around that pick is ridiculous; what has Beckham done anyway? Nothing overly fantastic...it's not like he's Lincecum... :rolleyes:
Uh-oh. Not that can of worms . . . :eek:

TRF
04-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Jermaine Dye was a "legitimate" LF last year and is unemployed this year.

And how large was last year's sample?

And I never said he was the absolute wrong pick. I think it could have been him, Beckham or Smoak.

But hey keep bringing up the Stubbs/Lincecum thing because I mention Lincecum all the time. (In fact, I haven't in quite a while, probably not since 2008, but don't let that stop you.)

fearofpopvol1
04-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Agreed - can we please start a separate thread for the 'Who should the Reds have drafted in 2008' discussion?

:eek:

Did anyone in this thread even read boss' post? It sure doesn't seem like it!!

reds44
04-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Joe Mauer was the #1 overall draft pick?

Of course they make mistakes. I just don't get the idea where the Reds have already completely failed that pick like some talk about. It isn't like we drafted Kyle Skipworth that season.
Mauer wasn't the BPA.