PDA

View Full Version : Question about Harang

malcontent
04-10-2010, 08:40 PM
What exactly does he throw? Whenever I watch him pitch, I never see anything but 2 pitches...90-93-mph fastball and something he tosses around 82-mph that has downward movement ("bite" would be an exaggeration).

Is that other pitch the slider that once actually had some bite? Is it a changeup? I've read that he throws a curve but I've never seen it.

Why do I only ever see Harang throw 2 pitches, and how does he even survive with those?

GIDP
04-10-2010, 09:32 PM
He throws fastball and slider a lot, but he also throws a curve and a change. Most pitchers get by with 2 pitches and a 3rd or 4th they throw rarely.

kfm
04-10-2010, 10:14 PM
He has thrown more and more curveballs the last couple of years. I think Fukodome hit a curveball out. His slider used to be his best pitch. His changeup actually looks pretty good. He throws a lot of fastballs. With his reworked mechanics his velocity has come back and it looks like his command is coming back as well. If the bite on his slider comes back he will be nasty again. Today was very encouraging as was his first start. Seven innings and seven strikeouts, he was ahead of most batters which is more like the old Harang. I don't know how any intelligent reds fan can not be cautiously optimistic about what Harang has done so far this year.

malcontent
04-10-2010, 11:20 PM
He has thrown more and more curveballs the last couple of years. I think Fukodome hit a curveball out. His slider used to be his best pitch. His changeup actually looks pretty good. He throws a lot of fastballs. With his reworked mechanics his velocity has come back and it looks like his command is coming back as well. If the bite on his slider comes back he will be nasty again. Today was very encouraging as was his first start. Seven innings and seven strikeouts, he was ahead of most batters which is more like the old Harang. I don't know how any intelligent reds fan can not be cautiously optimistic about what Harang has done so far this year.
I wish I could tell the difference. Honestly, I can't. It all looks like the same pitch to me.

I'd like to be optimistic about him. Quality individual. He always has a great K/BB ratio, and decent K/IP ratio, but gets hurt by the longball more than anybody. I know he was feeling sick with something today and still had a pretty good game. His stuff just seems so...pedestrian. I'm always half-amazed that he doesn't simply get shelled.

Ghosts of 1990
04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
He throws three fastballs: 2-seam, cut fastball, and a 4-seamer.

He also throws a curve and change.

No slider, as the cutter does a little bit what the slider does.

Vottomatic
04-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I'd like to see him come inside more often. Seems like he works the outside edge and that's it.

BLEEDS
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
He throws three fastballs: 2-seam, cut fastball, and a 4-seamer.

He also throws a curve and change.

No slider, as the cutter does a little bit what the slider does.

Where did you get this info, specifically the part about the slider - or lack thereof?

From all accounts, his slider was his "money" pitch, and when it was off as it was over parts of the last few years, he really suffered in a number of his peripherals.

Maybe he's stopped pitching it until he get the feel/nastiness back from it, but saying he has "No slider" is incorrect, I believe.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

kfm
04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Where did you get this info, specifically the part about the slider - or lack thereof?

From all accounts, his slider was his "money" pitch, and when it was off as it was over parts of the last few years, he really suffered in a number of his peripherals.

Maybe he's stopped pitching it until he get the feel/nastiness back from it, but saying he has "No slider" is incorrect, I believe.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bleeds you are right. He does throw a slider. I have heard him talk about his slider, so maybe he thinks he throws a slider but he really doesn't:) JB32 you are right about the other fastballs as he does throw a two seamer and a sinking fastball.

Mr Larkin
04-11-2010, 06:54 PM
He has thrown well enough to be a top of the rotation guy for the Reds for 5 years. Does he deserve it now - probably not. I think he still deserves our respect and appreciation.

His pitches do not move as much as they did when he was in his prime, but he is still a respectable pitcher.

malcontent
04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
OK. Did anyone see anything even resembling a third pitch last night?

On Sportsline I only saw fastball/slider (through the first two IP).

swaisuc
04-16-2010, 10:40 AM
^

He threw back to back curveballs with the bases loaded and a full count to Cody Ross.

I actually think Harang is and will continue throwing LESS fastball this year after it got knocked around the last 2 years. He got a lot of people out with his breaking pitches last year and he has no choice but to transition his game more in that direction as his fastball gets more hittable.

malcontent
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
He got a lot of people out with his breaking pitches last year and he has no choice but to transition his game more in that direction as his fastball gets more hittable.
But they (and the gun) say that he's back up to 93-94 MPH, at least on occasion.

It's the lack of movement on everything he throws that warrants concern, IMO.

Maybe he should drop down a little, say to 3/4 instead of over-the-top?

Vottomatic
04-16-2010, 03:41 PM
What exactly does he throw?

He throws it right down the pipe. It's called a home run pitch.

malcontent
04-17-2010, 05:10 AM
He throws it right down the pipe. It's called a home run pitch.
I can't argue with that.

MotownRed
04-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I agree. Total lack of movement. Especially, on his fastball. This is why he gives up so many HRs.