PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to restructure the rotation ...

ILoveWilly
04-11-2010, 11:40 PM
What would you do?

Here's my thoughts ..

- Leake and Chapman really seem like the future here. This isn't Hopey-dope fanboy bull, they honestly do, even though they're polar opposites of each other.

- Over the next year there's probably going to be some major reshuffling for the better and restructuring of the rotation. Honestly this is what I can see happening:

1) Volquez gets back to form and returns to the rotation

2) This is Harang's last year here, one way or another. I think he has a better year than his last two, a solid year but not going to set the world on fire.

3) Homer Bailey really has to turn it on. It can't be the same song and dance of working 5 innings with a high pitch count anymore. If he can't improve this year, I think he should be given a shot at closer if we can move Cordero's ridiculous contract for something.

In the end, I think the rotation looks like this:

- Arroyo
- Volquez
- Cueto
- Leake
- Chapman

With potentially a return for Harang if he has a decent year and we try to trade him for some offense, and this strategy would present an opportunity to get around $20 million off the books to actually sign some offensive pop.

UPRedsFan
04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I like the thinking, they need to clear the way for Chapman, and maybe Volquez later in the year. But I don't see Homer as a closer. He doesn't have the control for it. And his upside is still too high for that. How do we know Chapman won't get up here and be a 5 inning starter as well until he harnesses more control? For that matter you can lump Cueto into the same category (i.e. too many pitches, can't make it past 6 innings)

I think we'll see Harang traded for offense to clear the way for Volquez. But that will tax the pen. Harang and Arroyo are the only 2 starters you can depend on for 7 innings.

You never know what can happen. Someone may come down with an injury to get Chapman up here. Whoever is struggling may have a hang nail that requires rehab in AAA so they can get Chapman some starts.

Roush's socks
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
When was the last time the starting pitching went a season without injuries? Sooner or later someone will have a minor or major injury and Chapman and Wood will get some starts. They shouldn't need to rush Volquez back.

nemesis
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I think your more likely to see Volquez moved to Closer than Bailey. He might return as a bullpen guy this year anyways. Just to keep the innings and stress down on his arm. If the teams falls out of contention by the trade deadline expect to see Arroyo, Harang, Cordero, Cabrera, Phillips and Rhodes to be shopped and possibly moved. Creating a hole at either Closer or Set up if Massett is moved into the closer role.