PDA

View Full Version : Coco signs with TBS

Brutus
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Conan O'Brien surprised everyone and announced he's signed a deal with TBS - not Fox.

O'Brien will join TBS late night (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/04/12/conan-obrien-signs-with-tbs-to-host-talk-show/)

I think this is a good fit for him.

Caveat Emperor
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm guessing FOX couldn't get enough of their affiliates on-board with the idea of giving up an hour of local time to get a deal done. Not too shocking -- most FOX affiliates do very well in the 11pm-12am programming block, and it's all local spots (all local revenue).

TBS seems like a strange fit. Too much re-run programming to build any sort of brand awareness or audiance. The show will probably sink or swim on the backs of Conan's loyal fans -- which, for cable, might be enough.

Spazzrico
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
This sucks for me. No cable and little desire to subscribe.

Reds Fanatic
04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I am sure his new show will be heavily promoted during the playoffs in October. Baseball is really the only time I ever watch TBS for anything.

KronoRed
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I am sure his new show will be heavily promoted during the playoffs in October. Baseball is really the only time I ever watch TBS for anything.

Oh yeah, get ready for ads in the middle of innings and the announcers bringing it up every 5 seconds.

If TBS was the best Conan could do right now he should have passed.

Brutus
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah, get ready for ads in the middle of innings and the announcers bringing it up every 5 seconds.

He said they're paying him an awful lot of money, though.

It's true that TBS is rerun programming, but they do pretty well with their ratings since it's got some great shows (Friends, Seinfeld, The Office, Family Guy, etc.). I actually watch TBS almost as much as any other channel.

KronoRed
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Can't argue with boatloads of cash :D

Eric_the_Red
04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't see this working. Jon Stewart has a big audience at 11, and I wonder if it is the same audience that would watch Conan if he were on later. I think Conan at midnight after Stewart/Colbert would be the perfect lineup and a ratings win (for basic cable).

I just don't see this working on TBS, especially at 11.

Will M
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Count me as one who doesn't think any of these late night talk shows hosts are funny with one exception: Craig Ferguson. i work 2nd shift so i'm always up when he's on at 12:30-1:30. the show has no budget. its just Craig doing a monlogue & viewer email for ~30 minutes followed by a guest for ~30 minutes. no band. no out of studio gags. mainly just Craig. plus the guests tend towards the weird. the other night Betty White was on ostensibly pushing the iPad but mostly makeing jokes about it & jokes about Craig.

Jay, Dave, Conan, John Stewart, Kimmel - i don't find any of these shows funny.

GIDP
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
His Career is already over why not bury it as far as he can. Hope hes making a ton of money.

yab1112
04-12-2010, 06:18 PM
This sucks for me. No cable and little desire to subscribe.

Ditto. I guess I'll be watching on Hulu a day later :thumbdown

TBS currently has George Lopez at 11 and his ratings have been pretty good. His show will be moving to 12 but between Conan and Lopez I think they'll easily capture the younger demographic.

It was reported somewhere that heavy promotion during the NBA and MLB playoffs was a big part of TBS' pitch to Conan.

BCubb2003
04-12-2010, 06:36 PM
TBS currently has George Lopez at 11 and his ratings have been pretty good. His show will be moving to 12 but between Conan and Lopez I think they'll easily capture the younger demographic.

So Conan is forcing a popular late-night host to move his show to a new time?

GIDP
04-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Lopez supposedly talked to Conan into signing

yab1112
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017595.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

According to TBS, talks began in earnest just last week -- and after "Lopez Tonight" star George Lopez personally gave O'Brien a call.

"I can't think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in," Lopez said. "It's the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy."

BCubb2003
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Never mind on the "I'm With George" T-shirts, then.

Razor Shines
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll probably give Conan a try, I cannot stand Lopez though.

MWM
04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I'll probably give Conan a try, I cannot stand Lopez though.

Lopez tonight is really growing on me. I've found myself looking forward to it recently. I think Lopez is a great fit for a more edgy late night show.

Kingspoint
04-14-2010, 05:34 PM

It's better than just having a Twitter account. (per Conan's own joke).