PDA

View Full Version : Fielder seeking $180 Mil as a starting point

nemesis
04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Now why I am a huge advocate against spending that kinda money on just one player... Fielder is one of them I'd be inclined to spend it on.

He is 26 years old. Has had over 30 doubles and basically 30 HR's all 4 years. He has OPS'd over 1.000 twice in 4 years. This is also the kind of player that you could move Joey to LF for and Joey wouldn't feel as put off by the move because of the caliber of player Fielder is.

Milwaukee might not be as inclined to trade with a division opponent so the pot would have to be rich and certain prospects would have to increase their trade value with solid seasons.

I would think it would take a package of:

Alonso
Massett
Bailey
Heisey
Maloney

to make it work.

They need starters to replace Bush and Davis - Bailey and Maloney
A closer to replace Hoffman - Massett
A OFer to replace Edmonds- Heisey
A 1B to replace Fielder - Alonso

With Gomes, Cabera, Arroyo, Harang, Rhodes coming off the books this year that frees up roughly $27 Million next year. Find a trading partner for Phillips and Cordero you free up another $21 Million to extend Votto, Volquez and Cueto next year.

Team would look like this:

1B Fielder
2B Frazier
3B Rolen
SS Cozart/Janish
LF Votto
CF Stubbs
RF Bruce
C Hernandez

Rotation of:

Volquez
Cueto
Chapman
Leake
Wood

Bench would be a mish-mash of

Sutton, Valakia, Hanigan, Castillo, Dorn, Nix, Francisco, FA Veterans...

Bullpen would be a rebuild but if there is one strength in our system it's a plethora of quality bullpen arms thru the minors...

It'll never come to be but we have the system and play flex to go out and get the guy if we really wanted to...

GIDP
04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Votto is better than fielder. Why would we move him off 1st?

nemesis
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Votto is better than fielder. Why would we move him off 1st?

Fielder is the better hitter and no way can he play any position other than first... You'd rather have Dunn in CF than him in LF...

GIDP
04-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Fielder is the better hitter and no way can he play any position other than first... You'd rather have Dunn in CF than him in LF...

Huh? What does that Dunn comment mean. Votto is better player yes.

nemesis
04-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Huh? What does that Dunn comment mean. Votto is better player yes.

Fielder cannot play any position other than 1B. To big, to slow. I was saying you'd rather see Adam Dunn in CF than Fielder in Left. Joey is athletic enough to make the switch and might be open to do it for a guy like Fielder if he knows it'll make the team better. As much as I love Joey. No. He is not yet better than Fielder. Fielder Averages 40 HR's 120 RBI's over 4 a year period in a ballpark not as hit friendly as GABP. Someone will pay $200 Million for Fielder no way Joey gets half that right now all things being equal.

GIDP
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Id rather not mess with moving Votto unless he came to the Reds about it. Fielder is a better home run threat but as a pure hitter? Im taking Votto. He has a better body and if I'm going to spend a bunch of money on a 1st baseman its going to keep Votto around or go and get Pujols. Votto is a more valuable player.

Oxilon
04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry, but Prince Fielder's next contract is going to make Albert Belle's contract look worth while.

mroby85
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Prince Fielder is not a person I would want to give a long term lucrative deal. His pear shaped body says something about his work ethic, and that will catch up with him at some point.

aodaniel
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Prince Fielder is not a person I would want to give a long term lucrative deal. His pear shaped body says something about his work ethic, and that will catch up with him at some point.

My thoughts exactly.