PDA

View Full Version : U-Haul (Or other moving truck) Discounts???

Grounds_Crew
04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm moving on May 1st. I'm looking to save some money on a truck rental. I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone possibly works for U-Haul (or any other truck rental company), or if you know some tricks to getting a better deal!

let's hear it!!!

Revering4Blue
04-12-2010, 09:17 PM
http://www.uship.com/

Grounds_Crew
04-12-2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.uship.com/

Ummmm...I dont want someone to move FOR me.

Im trying to save money, remember?

GIK
04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
When moving in the past, I've used Penske. They have a pretty good discount policy with AAA.

Grounds_Crew
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
When moving in the past, I've used Penske. They have a pretty good discount policy with AAA.

An ex g/f of mine used them and I drove the truck. However, I just did the online quote and it was over $350. U-haul is quoted at $160.

Redhook
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
U-Pack thru ABF is pretty good. I used it when I moved from Orland to Cincy. They drop off a pod or two, you fill it up, and then they move it to your city. Good price too. Check it out!

redsmetz
04-13-2010, 08:11 AM
U-Pack thru ABF is pretty good. I used it when I moved from Orland to Cincy. They drop off a pod or two, you fill it up, and then they move it to your city. Good price too. Check it out!

ABF has been offering this service some time, using either the pods or their 24 ft. Pup Trailers. R&L Carriers in Wilmington are also offering this same type service. I was surprised when I heard R&L advertising on the Reds radio broadcasts. I've been in the trucking business for over 35 years and have never heard an LTL (less than truckload) carrier use radio advertising.

When my daughter moves to DC, I've told her to plan on moving her things up there with ABF. I agree their prices have been very good for this service.

savafan
04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I moved in December and used Penske. They called me after I did the online quote. I told them they were higher than I could afford, and we haggled over the phone down to $91

Yachtzee
04-13-2010, 01:01 PM
I've gotten good prices with Penske when dealing with them directly. I'd check to see whether there are any hidden costs with U-Haul. I haven't used them in almost 20 years, but the last time I did, I seem to recall a bunch of charges I didn't expect (Claiming I went over the allowed mileage for moving my stuff to the neighboring town). They gave me a ginormous truck to move a studio apartment that wouldn't fit in complex's parking lot ("It's all we have").They also tried to tack on a fuel charge even though I returned the truck full.

Last time I used Penske, they gave me a good deal on a weekend rate with unlimited mileage and allowed us to move my stuff from Bowling Green to the west side of Cleveland and then we were able to move my brother from Cleveland to Chicago using the same truck. No surcharges.

hebroncougar
04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
UHaul wanted to charge me for 2 days for anything over an 8 hour period. I went with Penske, got the truck for 24 hours, and paid about $20 less than what UHaul wanted to charge for the 8 hour period. UHaul was awful to try and work with.

paintmered
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I've had good luck with Budget and found them to be cheaper than U-Haul.

Deepred05
04-15-2010, 01:22 AM
whoever you use, quote a price from a competitor. they will always beat it or at least match it

Driver62
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I've had my best luck with renting from Ryder. I'd stay away from U-Haul. As a former truck driver, I've seen many of their trucks broken down on the side of the road. I've also heard good things about Penske.

klw
04-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I having moved house 6 times in the past 2.5 years have had unfortunately too much experience with UHaul and Budget. I generally found the UHaul trucks to be a bit newer but Budget was cheaper. I did not have breakdowns with any of them but may have had a suspension issue with a Budget truck. UHaul has a program where you can hire a crew for 3 hours to help you load or unload. Budget has a coupon code which you can use if you order over the phone which saves you 15% on a future rental.