PDA

View Full Version : Clean up spot

BigJohn
04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with Hal.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/?imw=Y

redsfan_12
04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Very much agreed.

Griffey012
04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
The bigger issue is guys getting on base for Votto, Phillips, and Rolen. Joey has 3 ab's with RISP, Phillips has 5, and Rolen has 5.

By the way, that was Rolen's first hit with a RISP so far this season, it might be too early to jump on Phillips, who thus far has 4 rbi's in 5 ab's with RISP.

I personally don't mind hitting Phillips cleanup. He is a free swinger, so it is better to have him hitting guys in then guys depending on him to get on base. And last season the guy had 98 RBI's and hit .290 with RISP.

Also, I think a guy like Rolen who takes a great approach to the plate everytime and makes the pitcher work helps Phillips see some better pitching. If you put a free swinging Phillips with only Bruce behind to protect him...he will see a steady diet of tough pitches, more so than he does now.

BigJohn
04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Look at the career average RISP/2out though and Rolen is much better.

bgwilly31
04-13-2010, 01:28 PM
i say keep em the way they are for now. Its too early to start moving guys.

BigJohn
04-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Look at Rolen's Career 4 hole numbers and it is a no brainer!

texasdave
04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't have Phillips hitting cleanup. He would either be hitting 2nd or 6th for me.

BLEEDS
04-13-2010, 01:38 PM
I agree with Hal.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/?imw=Y

Me too.

Yeungling is Definitely the best beer East of the Mississipi!

Oh, and yeah, NEWSFLASH that BP is sorely mis-cast as a cleanup hitter.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Griffey012
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Look at Rolen's Career 4 hole numbers and it is a no brainer!

And that's why we had Griffey batting in the 3 hole for so long, Dusty was looking at what he did before he was over the hill.

BigJohn
04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5668/situational;_ylt=Ap3lVysaruuu0WyAlU7FCkqFCLcF?year =2009&type=Batting

Well he hit 317 in the 4 hole LAST year. I don't think he is nearly over the hill yet.

Griffey012
04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Me too.

Yeungling is Definitely the best beer East of the Mississipi!

Oh, and yeah, NEWSFLASH that BP is sorely mis-cast as a cleanup hitter.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Yeungling is fantastic.

I agree BP is not a cleanup hitter, but as the problem has been the whole time, we really dont have a cleanup hitter. Hopefully, Bruce gets tagging the ball, then we can slide everyone up 1 spot and get BP to 6th or 2nd. But for the immediate time being until Bruce shows he can produce day in and out I think it just makes more sense to leave BP in the 4 spot between 2 patient patient hitters.

Stubbs
BP (switches to SS so he can bat here)
Votto
Rolen
Bruce (when Bruce starts steamrolling)
LF'er
Ramon
OCab (switches to 2b)

And Dusty keeps the LRLR in the middle of the order.

BigJohn
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
We Really do! You heard the Reds picked up Scott Rolen, Right?

big boy
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
If Rolen was batting 4th yesterday, he would have laid down the sacrifice bunt to get Votto to second. Then Phillips would have grounded out to short.

BigJohn
04-13-2010, 02:55 PM
LOL! OK, you got me on that one BB!

Ghosts of 1990
04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
What do you guys think of leaving a 23 year old hitter (who there is quite an investment in) alone on an island with little protection behind him in the 6th spot to develop? Is this any way to usher in a young career?

IMO, they haven't given Bruce much an opportunity to succeed.

Kingspoint
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
The bigger issue is guys getting on base for Votto, Phillips, and Rolen. Joey has 3 ab's with RISP, Phillips has 5, and Rolen has 5.

By the way, that was Rolen's first hit with a RISP so far this season, it might be too early to jump on Phillips, who thus far has 4 rbi's in 5 ab's with RISP.

I personally don't mind hitting Phillips cleanup. He is a free swinger, so it is better to have him hitting guys in then guys depending on him to get on base. And last season the guy had 98 RBI's and hit .290 with RISP.

Also, I think a guy like Rolen who takes a great approach to the plate everytime and makes the pitcher work helps Phillips see some better pitching. If you put a free swinging Phillips with only Bruce behind to protect him...he will see a steady diet of tough pitches, more so than he does now.

Good post.

Kingspoint
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Again, through April and May, I'm more interested in "watching" how Dusty handles things than to suggest that he might do something differently.

There's a real learning process that goes on with how he'll "shape" the 2010 season. Everything he does has multiple reasons behind it, rarely just the obvious.

GIDP
04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Phillips should have been hitting in front of Votto last year when they acquired Rolen. Rolen isnt the greatest of fits there but on this roster Id rather have him and Votto going back to back than Phillips just because of his GIDPs.

BigJohn
04-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Glad I inspired BP to hit like a #4 hitter last night!
:)

Mr Larkin
04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I like Rolen, a lot, but he is not an ideal 4th hitter either. Bruce could one day be a 4th hitter in the line-up, but obviously not yet. Phillips is fine there for now, but he is not a clean-up hitter.

Perhaps Dusty could tell him he's just batting 4th but he doesn't want him to think of himself as a clean-up hitter. Phillips does better when he is not swinging for the seats.