PDA

View Full Version : Should Mike Leake be pitching in the majors right now?

Benihana
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I think now after Sunday's dazzling debut is as good of a time as any for this poll. I'd like to see where most people on this board stand in terms of the Mike Leake decision. Keeping in mind what happened to Homer Bailey in the Summer of 2006, I want to know definitively right now if you think it is a good decision to have Mike Leake beginning his career in the major leagues.

This poll will close in 10 days, so Leake will have 1 more opportunity to show his stuff before you must decide.

Please include explanations below.

RedEye
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Where's the poll?

Brutus
04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
He most certainly passed the "look" test on Sunday. He looked like he belonged in the majors based on his approach against certain hitters and movement on his pitches.

Degenerate39
04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I think he would've benefitted a little from a few minor league games but for the most part I believe he was ready. If it wasn't for Volquez getting hurt he'd be in the minors right now.

Bumstead
04-13-2010, 04:42 PM
He was given the opportunity to compete for the job, he competed and won the job. Let him have the job he won. Let someone else try and take it from him. I think he is a tough kid that won't be hurt by being up at this point in his career.

Bum

Redsfan320
04-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Absolutely yes. This team needs something to shove them over .500 and he may be it. After Sunday, there's not a doubt in my mind he should be with the Reds right now.

Homer Bailey
04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Although I was happy with his first start, I don't think I'm as blown away as others. Obviously the 7 BB's jumps out at you. However, I think most would agree that he typically has solid control, and that we shouldn't expect that going forward. However, I think we would all be singing a different tune if the Cubs were actually able to take advantage of the 7BB's, which is what major league teams will do to you.

Maybe I should explain my answer, as I'm the only one that has voted for the 2nd option. Maybe the question was meant to be answered this way, but I voted guessing that he would not spend the entire year in the rotation. I think he is going to see some bumps in the road, and that is totally to be expected. I think Chapman is going to beat down the door for the majors, and once Volquez is back, I see Leake being the odd man out of the rotation. After re-reading the question, it would appear as if I answered incorrectly. For now, I think he is obviously the best choice for the rotation, but I’d be surprised if he spent the entire year in the rotation.

Also, I considered the fact that as the fifth starter, he may get skipped a few times. Would the Reds rather move him down to AAA to keep him on a regular schedule? Not sure.

pedro
04-13-2010, 07:04 PM
If the Reds feel he is one of the five best candidates for the rotation then yes.

Edd Roush
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I vote yes. The 7 BBs are alarming, but considering his past performance both this spring and at Arizona State, I do not see it as too much of an issue. Remember, a couple of those walks were intentionally unintentional walks. They count the same either way, but I did not really come away thinking, "man, that guy could not find the plate." I think a little could be attributed to nerves, a little attributed to a small zone and a little to avoiding the tough spots of the line-up. Let's see how he does over 10-15 starts. I am in no way ready to say he is a future ace, but I am interested to see how he will do a couple times through the division.

TheNext44
04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I voted yes, but I could see the Reds sending him down and shutting him down at some point this season to save his arm and delay his Free Agent clock.

SirFelixCat
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Absolutely he belongs and has earned the #5 spot. The 7 BB's, while in a vacuum look bad. He got insanely squeezed on a ton of borderline pitches. Didn't get a single one called a strike.

I have no doubt that is the aberration and not the norm.

Tom Servo
04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
What happened to Homer in the Summer of 2006?

klw
04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I thought about giving a snarky answer that no he should not be pitching in the majors right now because it is Tuesday and he just threw 100+ pitches on Sunday. Instead I will go with yes. It seems like he has a good sense of how to pitch and good control. Coddle his arm but if he knows how to pitch then just let him get on with it.

RedEye
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Does Leake remind anyone else of Bronson Arroyo? Not in terms of pitching, but in terms of looks and demeanor?

WebScorpion
04-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Yes, I think he's ready for the Show. He showed incredible poise for a kid who just went straight from college to the Major Leagues...I'm sure he'll cut down on the walks in his next start. My only hesitation with Leake is that he's never pitched a full minor league season, much less a 162(+, hopefully) Major League schedule. I hope they have the good sense and courage to shut him down about the time Volquez is ready. :pray:

BearcatShane
04-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Eh, he probably should have had 15 starts in the minors but what the heck, if the Reds brass feel he can help the team and he has a good enough head on his shoulders to learn if he fails why not? Were going for it this year I think, right? Go get em kid.

Caveat Emperor
04-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Nope - he needed at least a month or two of minor league seasoning. But, he's here now -- I'm hoping he can build on his first start instead of regressing like so many Reds pitching prospects seem to do after their ML debut (see: Bailey, Homer).

BearcatShane
04-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Nope - he needed at least a month or two of minor league seasoning. But, he's here now -- I'm hoping he can build on his first start instead of regressing like so many Reds pitching prospects seem to do after their ML debut (see: Bailey, Homer).

But how do you know he needed that seasoning? Just because 99% of all other pitchers needed it? Because he was facing Pac 10 hitters at this time last year? I don't know, I just don't feel the Reds' decision makers are as stupid as some people think. Just maybe they know exactly what there doing? Maybe Mike Leake will start a new trend? Maybe he is that special.

jmcclain19
04-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Does Leake remind anyone else of Bronson Arroyo? Not in terms of pitching, but in terms of looks and demeanor?

Absolutely does. A shorter version. Much like Arroyo, the guy doesn't have a single pitch that's straight. Which can be a good thing or a bad one. Arroyo had to bounce around a couple of organizations as a swing guy for a few years before finally settling down with the Reds.

I guarantee Leake will go thru a stretch in the very near future in which he'll be throwing opposition BP - everyone loves souvenir day at the ballpark.

Question will be how he snaps himself out of it. Seems so far that he has his head on straight.

And Jocketty has shown a pretty astute (but not 100% successful attempt) eye of putting the best 25 guys on the roster, regardless of salary or service time.

Just three years ago - guys like Aaron Miles and Kip Wells would leave ST as potential starters for the Reds. In 2010 - they are scraping for work in the Atlantic League.

Caveat Emperor
04-14-2010, 09:27 AM
But how do you know he needed that seasoning? Just because 99% of all other pitchers needed it? Because he was facing Pac 10 hitters at this time last year? I don't know, I just don't feel the Reds' decision makers are as stupid as some people think. Just maybe they know exactly what there doing? Maybe Mike Leake will start a new trend? Maybe he is that special.

Yup. If 99.9% of guys need time in the minors, I'm not going to spend a minute of time deciding if I've got the .1% on my roster -- he can go to the minors and get adjusted to professional life. At worst, it's a 2 month delay to the start of a good major league career. And, if he's not that .1%, you've given him extra time to refine himself and your organization a chance to evaluate what kind of timetable he needs to be on.

But, that's just a philosophical issue I have with player development. Err on the side of caution when you're talking about young pitchers you've made multi-million dollar (and high draft pick) investments in.

TRF
04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
He's here. I thought for a variety of reasons that it should have been Wood, but sending him down now would be a mistake.

mth123
04-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Today is the scenario that made me want to give Leake some time in AAA getting used to the 5 man routine. Its Leake's first start in that routine. He went 106 pitches in his last start. In his first start after that on the new routine, I think the team needs to back off a bit on his pitch count. But, the major league team is coming off of 4 relatively short starts in a row with some extra innings mixed in. The long man went two innings last night. This looks like a spot where the starter needs to go out there and give 7 innings or take one for the team if he doesn't have it. Not the best scenario in Leake's first outing in the new routine. Not sure how big the health risk, but even a slight increase in the risk isn't worth it IMO.

I'd rather Leake was getting used to it in AAA where he could be controlled while he breaks in while some one like Lehr be the guy left in to take one for the team. In June or so, after the adjustment is complete, Leake could be brought in, but I'd rather that adjustment was made in the minors.