PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Hudson Believes Racism Is Why Jermaine Dye's Unemployed

fearofpopvol1
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/04/13/orlando-hudson-believes-racism-part-of-jermaine-dyes-unemployme/

Will M
04-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Jermaine Dye is unemployed because he would rather stay home & pout than accept market level payment for what his current services are worth. Not because of the color of his skin.

Brutus
04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
What idiotic comments by Hudson. Complete garbage.

TRF
04-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Jim Edmonds was unemployed last year.

Orlando Hudson is kinda dumb.

RichRed
04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Hudson is right - Kenny Williams hates black people.

pedro
04-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I don't believe he is correct but as I have never personally had to experience racial discrimination I'm not going judge someone who very likely has.

I'll just say I don't agree with him on this matter.

TRF
04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I've experienced it sight unseen. I have a Hispanic last name, but I am also half Irish. I've been hired because of my last name, and fairly certain I was not considered because of it.

That said, in this economy, that was as dumb a statement as I have ever heard. Lot's of guys, older guys, coming off big contracts weren't offered jobs. Their skin has nothing to do with it. It's all about the Benjamins.

Now if he wanted to make a collusion claim, I could see that. Maybe.

pedro
04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
TRF, I believe you mean you "haven't" been hired. I'm sure a lot of that goes on.

reds44
04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Hasn't he turned down like 4 contract offers?

Bumstead
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
If Jermaine Dye wanted to play, he would be playing. He wants money that teams were unwilling to give to anybody else. Why would they give it to him? Why does the O-Dog have his panties all in a bunch anyway? Jermaine Dye hasn't even said much about it other than he wanted more money or he wasn't playing...this is where the term "horsehockey" could be used correctly! :p:

Bum

reds44
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
I still think the Reds should sign Dye.

Brutus
04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Hasn't he turned down like 4 contract offers?

At least that.

TRF
04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
TRF, I believe you mean you "haven't" been hired. I'm sure a lot of that goes on.

No have. I once was hired because I put hispanic on federal forms.

They were being investigated by the FCC for minority hiring.

blumj
04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
It is understandable that some players prefer not to recognize that it's too late to build a great team in 2003.

Redlegs
04-13-2010, 06:29 PM
The race card is the end all/cure all crutch for someone of color or another minority group when things aren't going their way. It's the "old reliable". That song has played out and all it does these days is cause a rolling of the eyes rather than a raising of the eyebrows.

It also does a disservice to those who have endured some crazy stuff in our country's history.

westofyou
04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
The race card might be mis-played here but suggestion that anytime it's played it's a crutch is IMO weaker claim than one makes when playing the race card.

Brutus
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
The race card might be mis-played here but suggestion that anytime it's played it's a crutch is IMO weaker claim than one makes when playing the race card.

Not really. There's a tendency to play that angle up anytime it involves minorities. It gets played entirely too often without merit.

pedro
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
The race card is the end all/cure all crutch for someone of color or another minority group when things aren't going their way. It's the "old reliable". That song has played out and all it does these days is cause a rolling of the eyes rather than a raising of the eyebrows.

It also does a disservice to those who have endured some crazy stuff in our country's history.

Perhaps overplayed, yet racism is clearly not dead in this country and probably never will be. Alas, that's really not a topic for this board.

TRF, I'm sure that happens at times as well.

My take is while it's fine to discuss whether or not people think his claim is true or not (I happen to think he's wrong myself), making a value judgement about it or extrapolating it into a commentary about what a particular racial subset does or doesn't do, probably is best left for someplace else.

westofyou
04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Not really. There's a tendency to play that angle up anytime it involves minorities. It gets played entirely too often without merit.

Are you white?

if so then you really our not the guy I'll look for any guidance on the subject from

Brutus
04-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Are you white?

if so then you really our not the guy I'll look for any guidance on the subject from

Who cares whether someone is white or black? That's silly. So you're saying that only a black person can say whether they are the victim of a racially-motivated incident? And that their accusation is automatically true?

Silly logic, putting it nicely.

I'll say it again: a majority (not all) of these accusations are a cop-out.

westofyou
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Who cares whether someone is white or black? That's silly. So you're saying that only a black person can say whether they are the victim of a racially-motivated incident? And that their accusation is automatically true?

Silly logic, putting it nicely.

I'll say it again: a majority (not all) of these accusations are a cop-out.

The majority eh?

talk about silly

Brutus
04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
The majority eh?

talk about silly

52% of Americans just voted for a black president, despite being further from center than arguably in any candidate in our history.

Yes, the majority.

Prejudice will always linger. That will unfortunately will never change. But the people making race an issue now are making more out of it than the actual people making decisions based on race.

Seriously, time to let the mistakes of the past go. Time for people to start earning things on their own merits and not hiding behind race relations.

mbgrayson
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
52% of Americans just voted for a black president, despite being further from center than arguably in any candidate in our history.

Yes, the majority.

You claim the majority of racism charges are false. You say this with no proof, no studies, no nothing but your own opinion (and maybe Rush Limbaugh's). Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

And where is your proof that 'Obama is further from center' than any other president. You are baiting and spewing right wing garbage.

Lets close this thread. It has now descended into political BS.