PDA

View Full Version : should the Reds make a player move tomorrow

Will M
04-13-2010, 11:25 PM
IMO the Reds should make a player move tomorrow. Send Ondrusek to AAA & bring up the best rested reliever down there. CoCo seems to have pitched 6 games in 7 days. it seems like all of our relievers could use some rest. we have had several extra inning games on top of our starters going 5-6 innings. Honestly, if there are two rested pitchers in AAA I'd send Ondrusek & Cairo to AAA just to help the team short term.

kbrake
04-13-2010, 11:31 PM
A fresh arm wouldn't hurt. If Bailey struggles in start 2 the way he did in start 1 we could find a way to get Paul Janish some playing time tomorrow night.

VR
04-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Lincoln and Masset are rested, DRH has a rubber arm, Rhodes only threw 8 easy pitches tonight. Heck, even Coco threw 11 easy pitches.

Don't want to have to go there....but it's not like they are over taxed quite yet.

BearcatShane
04-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Coco, Owings and Ondrusek probably won't pitch tomorrow. But Lincoln, Masset, Herrera and Rhodes should be good to go. I bet they go into the game tomorrow with Masset as the closer.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2010, 11:56 PM
From Fay:

The Reds bullpen is pretty spent after going five innings two days in a row. Dusty Baker and Walt Jocketty discussed adding an arm.

It won’t before tomorrow’s game.

“We’ll see after tomorrow,” Jocketty said.

more from Fay, including an update on Jared Burton:
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/04/13/bullpen-help-on-the-way-burton-update/

Captain Hook
04-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Fisher's on the 40 man and has 3IP 0ER but did pitch an inning tonight.He'd still be the obvious answer to who we'd call up but like VR pointed out there are still options tomorrow.

I'm hopping that Bailey gives the team 7 or 8 strong innings and this doesn't become an issue on Thur. with Leake starting for only the second time in his professional career.

Will M
04-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Fisher's on the 40 man and has 3IP 0ER but did pitch an inning tonight.He'd still be the obvious answer to who we'd call up but like VR pointed out there are still options tomorrow.

I'm hopping that Bailey gives the team 7 or 8 strong innings and this doesn't become an issue on Thur. with Leake starting for only the second time in his professional career.

i thinks its Harang thursday & Leake friday.

its worth noting though that we do play on thursday. no off day for the weary.

HeatherC1212
04-13-2010, 11:59 PM

Leake doesn't pitch until Friday. Harang goes on Thursday night.

Captain Hook
04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Leake doesn't pitch until Friday. Harang goes on Thursday night.

Thanks.Although I'm not sure if that makes me feel any better about Thur. if things don't go well tomorrow.

Strikes Out Looking
04-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok, I have to be the first to sound like a cranky old man.

Aren't these professional athletes? Why couldn't Cordero pitch two innings last night? Are these guys that fragile? It's only April--where's Pedro Borbon when we need him?

reds1869
04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Ok, I have to be the first to sound like a cranky old man.

Aren't these professional athletes? Why couldn't Cordero pitch two innings last night? Are these guys that fragile? It's only April--where's Pedro Borbon when we need him?

No need to spend their innings this early in the season so that their arms are dead come crunch time. Yes, they are professionals. But so am I, and I wouldn't be asked to work four consecutive shifts with no rest.

flyer85
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
there really isn't a reason to have both Janish and Cairo on the roster.

lollipopcurve
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Yes -- soon, if not today. And Baker needs to realize that others beside Cordero can get a save every now and then.

membengal
04-14-2010, 09:28 AM
But who, last night? Masset was gassed, he had already used Rhodes.

I do hope Cordero is mothballed for today's game. And that Bailey pitches a complete fame 10-0 shutout throwing 105 pitches.

Where do I place that order?

lollipopcurve
04-14-2010, 09:30 AM
But who, last night? Masset was gassed, he had already used Rhodes.

Not last night -- tonight, if the situation dictates, and in similar stretches throughout the season.

membengal
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
I fully agree that Masset should be the closer tonite if the need arises and that Cordero should not pitch. If not Masset, then Rhodes. In any event, give Cordero the night off.

Bumstead
04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes -- soon, if not today. And Baker needs to realize that others beside Cordero can get a save every now and then.

Uh...not going to happen. Remember Rod Beck? Was it 7 or 9 days in a row Dusty ran him out there to get the save? Cordero is the closer all day everyday for Dusty.

Bum

savafan
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Uh...not going to happen. Remember Rod Beck? Was it 7 or 9 days in a row Dusty ran him out there to get the save? Cordero is the closer all day everyday for Dusty.

Bum

Not to mention, imagine how much extra money Masset could get down the road in arbitration if he has saves to his credit... The Reds need to be thinking about these financial scenarios! ;)