PDA

View Full Version : We didnt lose Balentin

GIDP
04-14-2010, 01:55 PM
IF Aaron Miles cleared waivers and has been released. OF Wladimir Balentien cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Class AAA Louisville. Both were designated for assignment on Opening Day.

Great news because that guy still has a ton of promise and being in AAA is a very good place to be for him right now. I still have a lot of hope for him.

Griffey012
04-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I am thrilled, and glad to see he accepted the assignment. I think he ends up with the club later in the year and sticks as a 4th OF'er. Most likely either Dickerson, Nix, or Stubbs don't stick the whole season. If Stubbs gets hitting Dickerson becomes expendable in trade, or if Nix keeps hitting .230 like last year he is expendable. Let Balentien get a good 200 AB's in AAA before anything is done with him though.

ILoveWilly
04-14-2010, 02:33 PM
He just seems like an AAAA player to me. The guy should tear it up for the Bats though, which is great.

Knightro28
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I am glad this happened as well. He should get some reps down in AAA. Louisville is simply a stockpile of talent.

nemesis
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
He just seems like an AAAA player to me. The guy should tear it up for the Bats though, which is great.

I disagree. He handled the bat well in his short stint here last season and had a great spring. I think the key to him is he cant hit LHP at all. As odd as it seems its his problem. He hits RHP relatively well. But Dusty is a old school right vs left kinda guy which plays against his strengths. If he was used well he would have been a better option than Nix IMO...

nemesis
04-14-2010, 03:33 PM
I am glad this happened as well. He should get some reps down in AAA. Louisville is simply a stockpile of talent.

Heisey, Frazier, Francisco, Dorn, Balentien are all capible of hitting 20+ HR's this season in AAA. With Cozart and Valakia capible of going for 10 to 15 as well. Love to see that lineup every night. The Reds have depth in spades and young depth too. Oldest player in that group is 26.

Kingspoint
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
IF Aaron Miles cleared waivers and has been released. OF Wladimir Balentien cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Class AAA Louisville. Both were designated for assignment on Opening Day.

Great news because that guy still has a ton of promise and being in AAA is a very good place to be for him right now. I still have a lot of hope for him.

Plus. Plus.

CRedsLarkin11
04-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Saw this yesterday on the MLB Network. I like Balentien and he still has some upside...definitely more than Laynce Nix and probably more than Chris Dickerson

markymark69
04-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Saw this yesterday on the MLB Network. I like Balentien and he still has some upside...definitely more than Laynce Nix and probably more than Chris Dickerson

Agreed. I was somewhat surprised someone didn't take a chance on him. He's still fairly young, inexpensive (in baseball circles) and has potential. His numbers with the Reds were not that bad last year or in spring training. My personal feeling is that they kept Nix to give them some left-handed pop off the bench, which they really do not have - unless you keep Francisco on the team the entire year. It was a numbers game, IMO and when he didn't have options left, this was the only thing they could do.

Glad he's still in the organiaztion.

Kingspoint
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
My personal feeling is that they kept Nix to give them some left-handed pop off the bench, which they really do not have -

That was definitely it. Almost a given going into Spring Training.