PDA

View Full Version : Reds are 2nd in the majors in Ks (#1 in the NL)

fearofpopvol1
04-16-2010, 12:31 AM
It sure doesn't help when you have 14 of them in 1 night, like they did tonight!

OBP is 2nd worst in the majors (just ahead of the Astros) at .298 for the season. Slugging they are 23/30 in the majors. 24/30 in walks. 22/30 in team batting average.

If there is any bright spot, they are 9 out of 30 in home runs. They are also tied for 3rd place in the majors in steals.

As for pitching, ERA is 25/30 in the majors. They've given up the 2nd most hits in the majors (just barely behind the Pirates), they've given up the 4th most ER in the majors, they have given up the 8th most HRs in the majors, they have walked the 6th most number of batters in the majors as well.

If there is a bright spot, they are tied for 5th in the majors in Ks.

WMR
04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
.298 OBP, good lordy. :eek:

KronoRed
04-16-2010, 12:39 AM
.298 OBP, good lordy. :eek:

No base clogging problem here.:thumbup:

Spring~Fields
04-16-2010, 12:57 AM
No base clogging problem here.:thumbup:

Well, they are kind of speedy!! :all_cohol

They are also tied for 3rd place in the majors in steals.

Probably be in 1st place if they could steal first base. :runawaycr

Will M
04-16-2010, 01:04 AM
the weak spots heavily outweigh the strong spots despite the 5-5 record.
43 runs scored & 55 runs allowed. thats actually terrible. extended over 162 games the pythag is something like 61-101. we are lucky to be 5-5. time to start playing a lot better.

Ron Madden
04-16-2010, 02:55 AM
We have to look deeper than the strike outs.

Truth is this club has trouble avoiding outs of any kind.

OnBaseMachine
04-16-2010, 03:16 AM
I don't care about the strikeouts, it's the lack of plate discipline and poor OBP that worries me.

I miss having Adam Dunn in the lineup. He's exactly what this lineup needs - a guy who will make the pitcher work, get on base at a high clip, and hit 35-40 homers.

TheNext44
04-16-2010, 03:23 AM
I don't care about the strikeouts, it's the lack of plate discipline and poor OBP that worries me.

I miss having Adam Dunn in the lineup. He's exactly what this lineup needs - a guy who will make the pitcher work, get on base at a high clip, and hit 35-40 homers.

Well, according to Jayson Stark...

If we had to take a guess, we'd guess the Nationals would be more likely to trade Adam Dunn before the deadline than negotiate an extension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings100415

fearofpopvol1
04-16-2010, 03:27 AM

I tend to agree with this...but when you're striking out 14 times in a night, that's downright embarrassing. I haven't seen all the data from tonight, but there were a lot of swinging strikes beyond the Ks.

I'm starting to wonder if this team is contact challenged.

TheNext44
04-16-2010, 03:28 AM
We have to look deeper than the strike outs.

Truth is this club has trouble avoiding outs of any kind.

The absolute truth. If this team doesn't increase it's OBP, it will be another long season.

But cutting down on K's usually does lead to making less outs. Putting the ball in play usually increases the chances you will get on base.

Ron Madden
04-16-2010, 03:30 AM
I tend to agree with this...but when you're striking out 14 times in a night, that's downright embarrassing. I haven't seen all the data from tonight, but there were a lot of swinging strikes beyond the Ks.

I'm starting to wonder if this team is contact challenged.

This team is allergic to avoiding outs (of any kind) and getting on base.

Homer Bailey
04-16-2010, 09:31 AM
The absolute truth. If this team doesn't increase it's OBP, it will be another long season.

It's going to be a long season. Honestly can't believe there were people on this board predicting 90 wins for this team.

top6
04-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Wait, what?! You hire a manager who openly mocks the concept of on base percentage, and then the team ends up having a terrible on base percentage?!?!? What a shock!

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2010, 10:17 AM

I said it last night. We never should have let him walk out of town. How can people not see that? He would have been a bargain for what he gae our lineup.

Brutus
04-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I said it last night. We never should have let him walk out of town. How can people not see that? He would have been a bargain for what he gae our lineup.

He wasn't going to sign... at least for any sort of affordable price. Bronson Arroyo said that before he was traded that everyone in the clubhouse knew he was asking for $100 mil.

Anyhow, focusing on the present...

People should care about strikeouts. There are so many k's right now, it's eliminating a ton of on-base opportunities by merely putting the ball in play.

mbgrayson
04-16-2010, 11:19 AM
It sure doesn't help when you have 14 of them in 1 night, like they did tonight!

OBP is 2nd worst in the majors (just ahead of the Astros) at .298 for the season. Slugging they are 23/30 in the majors. 24/30 in walks. 22/30 in team batting average.

If there is any bright spot, they are 9 out of 30 in home runs. They are also tied for 3rd place in the majors in steals.

As for pitching, ERA is 25/30 in the majors. They've given up the 2nd most hits in the majors (just barely behind the Pirates), they've given up the 4th most ER in the majors, they have given up the 8th most HRs in the majors, they have walked the 6th most number of batters in the majors as well.

If there is a bright spot, they are tied for 5th in the majors in Ks.

What is really amazing is that at this point, the Reds are 5 wins, 5 losses.

If those stats marginally improve, as I expect, they may still win more than 80 games.

RedsManRick
04-16-2010, 12:34 PM
You gotta be aggressive to score runs. Dusty told me so.

Caveat Emperor
04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
The major issue is that this team is just beyond poor when it comes to pitch recognition, and the majority of the batters go to the plate with no discernable gameplan in mind.

With the exception of Rolen, everyone goes to the plate looking to hack early. With the excpetion of Rolen, everyone is fooled by stuff low in the zone (see the inordinate number of ground balls being hit to opposing shortstops).

I'm rare to single out a position coach or a bench coach, because generally they don't make a lot of difference, but I honestly don't know why Jacoby still has his job. The team looks unprepared in the batters box, and that falls directly on the coaching staff.

Spring~Fields
04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
You gotta be aggressive to score runs. Dusty told me so.

Mr. Baker and Mr. Jocketty are a team.

I think that Mr. Baker's boss deserves credit here also, being culpable as having been a collaborator in this creation, while all along having the power to make some suggestions or changes of his own to this date and to enforce them, that could still serve the team well this season, yet.

I think that WJ is empowered to eaily implement, some of your suggestions over the past 2008, 2009, and the early 2010 season, which would help.

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
The major issue is that this team is just beyond poor when it comes to pitch recognition, and the majority of the batters go to the plate with no discernable gameplan in mind.

With the exception of Rolen, everyone goes to the plate looking to hack early. With the excpetion of Rolen, everyone is fooled by stuff low in the zone (see the inordinate number of ground balls being hit to opposing shortstops).

I'm rare to single out a position coach or a bench coach, because generally they don't make a lot of difference, but I honestly don't know why Jacoby still has his job. The team looks unprepared in the batters box, and that falls directly on the coaching staff.

I couldn't agree more. I think Jacoby is responsible for the digression of so many of our young hitters through the years. People always want to blame the player but they have no idea the lack of teaching and instruction that we have in this area. Jacoby is 1/1 with a guy like Randy Ready (Phillies hitting coach I believe). He's just a guy. Some people might say "how do you know how he is as a coach" and I do not know how he is at it because he isn't my hitting coach. But to get someone reputable in there would be so great for these guys. A guy like a Don Mattingly. Someone who has mastered the art of hitting. Someone who was at least a .300 hitter. Jacoby had one year where he hit .300 on the dot. that's it.

I just see guys continually regress the past few years. The list goes on and on. Even Joey Votto's approach is different this year. Guys are more complete hitters in the minor leagues. I'd feel better with Mr. Baker himself acting as the manager/hitting instructor. I wonder why a guy like Barry Larkin or Eric Davis wouldn't be available for this position. Jacoby must go.

Falls City Beer
04-16-2010, 02:13 PM
While the offense is poor right now, there's simply no denying that 4 principal hitters are well, well below their career norms. FWIW.

nate
04-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I couldn't agree more. I think Jacoby is responsible for the digression of so many of our young hitters through the years. People always want to blame the player but they have no idea the lack of teaching and instruction that we have in this area. Jacoby is 1/1 with a guy like Randy Ready (Phillies hitting coach I believe). He's just a guy. Some people might say "how do you know how he is as a coach" and I do not know how he is at it because he isn't my hitting coach. But to get someone reputable in there would be so great for these guys. A guy like a Don Mattingly. Someone who has mastered the art of hitting. Someone who was at least a .300 hitter. Jacoby had one year where he hit .300 on the dot. that's it.

I just see guys continually regress the past few years. The list goes on and on. Even Joey Votto's approach is different this year. Guys are more complete hitters in the minor leagues. I'd feel better with Mr. Baker himself acting as the manager/hitting instructor. I wonder why a guy like Barry Larkin or Eric Davis wouldn't be available for this position. Jacoby must go.

How does one isolate the batting coach's influence on hitting performance?

Especially after less than two weeks of play.

I say the Reds simply don't have many good contact hitters and the lovechild of Walt Hriniak and Charlie Lau couldn't fix it.