PDA

View Full Version : You stay classy Philly fans

westofyou
04-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Cops: Man Purposely Vomited On Girl At Phils Game (http://cbs3.com/local/Philadelphia.Phillies.Matthew.2.1636036.html)

Police arrested a Cherry Hill man after he was accused of intentionally vomiting on a young girl at the Phillies game Wednesday evening.

The young girl's father, trying to give his daughters an unforgettable night at the ballpark, ended up getting a memory he wishes he could forget.

Cyclone792
04-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Philly is easily the worst city I've ever visited in my life. Citizen's Bank Park is pretty much the worst ballpark I've ever visited too in terms of how fans treat other fans. What makes it worse is ballpark security shrugs their shoulders (and sometimes just laugh it off).

westofyou
04-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Philly is easily the worst city I've ever visited in my life. Citizen's Bank Park is pretty much the worst ballpark I've ever visited too in terms of how fans treat other fans. What makes it worse is ballpark security shrugs their shoulders (and sometimes just laugh it off).

True, I've been to concerts at many venues all over america, only in Philly was I scared of the security... but I've never been to Hartford.

nate
04-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I would guess that alcohol was involved.

Unless they sell ipecac with the foam fingers.

In any event, rude.

Chip R
04-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I hope they got video.

Cedric
04-16-2010, 12:50 PM
When I was young my siblings and I got beer thrown on us by a fan at a Reds game. My dad almost got arrested and he hates big crowds ever since.

Irrational maybe.

westofyou
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
The perp

http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/images/410*307/Matthew+Clemmens.jpg

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Dean Wormer

Yachtzee
04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
When I was young my siblings and I got beer thrown on us by a fan at a Reds game. My dad almost got arrested and he hates big crowds ever since.

Irrational maybe.

Seems out of character for Cincinnati, the place where someone gave us 5 bucks when they spilled beer on us (in the days when 5 bucks was a lot of money) and my sister was reprimanded at a Bengals game when she said the Bengals suck (she was reprimanded for her foul language, not necessarily her statement on the quality of the Bengals' play).

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Just one more reason to dislike the Phillies IMO

Brutus
04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
We're only getting one side of the story. Obviously, if what is alleged is true, it's pretty classless. Still, I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

TRF
04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
We're only getting one side of the story. Obviously, if what is alleged is true, it's pretty classless. Still, I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

He puked on a little girl.

how many sides do you need?

reds1869
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Seems out of character for Cincinnati, the place where someone gave us 5 bucks when they spilled beer on us (in the days when 5 bucks was a lot of money) and my sister was reprimanded at a Bengals game when she said the Bengals suck (she was reprimanded for her foul language, not necessarily her statement on the quality of the Bengals' play).

I was cussed out and had a beer tossed towards me at a Bengals game because I wouldn't do the wave. Alcohol makes people do things they wouldn't normally even consider. Once those inhibitions are gone it is game on, regardless of the city.

membengal
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM

I guess I need to know if she provoked it... (j/k)

Brutus
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM

There's a big difference between someone being drunk and puking and doing it on purpose.

At best the guy was drunk and making a fool of himself. But that doesn't mean he intentionally puked on some girl. Forgive me for not joining in on the witch hunt without a little more evidence.

TRF
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
There's a big difference between someone being drunk and puking and doing it on purpose.

At best the guy was drunk and making a fool of himself. But that doesn't mean he intentionally puked on some girl. Forgive me for not joining in on the witch hunt without a little more evidence.

How about the eyewitnesses that saw him sticking his fingers down his throat?

Brutus
04-16-2010, 02:57 PM
How about the eyewitnesses that saw him sticking his fingers down his throat?

Eyewitness testimony is the least credible form of evidence. Something tells me if a loud, drunken fan vomited on a girl at a baseball game, there would be tons of people rushing to burn him at the stake just as people are doing here. I don't believe it would be hard for some people to think they saw him sticking fingers in his mouth when perhaps they really saw him covering his mouth as he was about to vomit. Point is, we can't know what they really saw or what they really even think they saw or whether it matches what they told the police.

I don't doubt the guy was drunk and being an unruly fool. But that doesn't mean he intentionally vomited on someone. If he did, I have no sympathy for him. But someone vomiting on another person in public is not exactly unprecedented. It's quite possible it wasn't intentional.

oneupper
04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Eyewitness testimony is the least credible form of evidence. Something tells me if a loud, drunken fan vomited on a girl at a baseball game, there would be tons of people rushing to burn him at the stake just as people are doing here. I don't believe it would be hard for some people to think they saw him sticking fingers in his mouth when perhaps they really saw him covering his mouth as he was about to vomit. Point is, we can't know what they really saw or what they really even think they saw or whether it matches what they told the police.

I don't doubt the guy was drunk and being an unruly fool. But that doesn't mean he intentionally vomited on someone. If he did, I have no sympathy for him. But someone vomiting on another person in public is not exactly unprecedented. It's quite possible it wasn't intentional.

BTP Are you a defense lawyer? If not, you'd make a good one. I mean that in a good way, please don't sue me.

reds1869
04-16-2010, 03:23 PM
But someone vomiting on another person in public is not exactly unprecedented. It's quite possible it wasn't intentional.

It happened to me when I was in elementary school. The girl standing behind me at the third grade Christmas concert got nervous and let it loose all over me. :D

George Anderson
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
It happened to me when I was in elementary school. The girl standing behind me at the third grade Christmas concert got nervous and let it loose all over me. :D

I did the exact same thing to a kid in first grade.

He still to this day brings it up when I see him.

HeatherC1212
04-16-2010, 03:38 PM
"I actually heard the individual behind me say, 'I'm gonna get sick', then I couldn't believe what I saw. He actually had his fingers down his mouth and into his throat to make himself vomit. He vomited and lurched forward and it was hitting my daughter," Vangelo explained.

That's directly from the article. I don't need much more evidence to know the guy was being a tool than hearing about it from the dad who saw it with his own eyes. Horrible behavior. :thumbdown

And people wonder why I don't drink much and have no real desire to ever drink much at baseball games or other sporting events. It's not that I don't trust myself; I don't trust the people around me. :eek:

kbrake
04-16-2010, 03:46 PM
People like that give drunks a bad name. I've had way too much to drink at games before and never have I had a problem being a tool to people. Well at least nothing like that. When I was 21 or 22 I had plenty of nights at the ballpark with too much to drink doesn't mean you have to be a tool.

Brutus
04-16-2010, 04:09 PM
That's directly from the article. I don't need much more evidence to know the guy was being a tool than hearing about it from the dad who saw it with his own eyes. Horrible behavior. :thumbdown

And people wonder why I don't drink much and have no real desire to ever drink much at baseball games or other sporting events. It's not that I don't trust myself; I don't trust the people around me. :eek:

How is that evidence? It's an allegation from an upset father who's daughter was exposed to rude fan behavior. Surely you can see how an upset father would possibly exaggerate a story -especially one that knows the law.

Chip R
04-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm sure he gave his daughter a lasting memory.

Brutus
04-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I need to add: I'm not defending the guy being a drunken idiot at a baseball game. Lord knows there are too many of those folks and it seems a disorderly conduct charge probably warrants itself. Clearly he vomited so he no question had too much to drink.

However, there's no 'evidence' in that article that this idiot purposely vomited on someone. The only account if from a father who, in reality, is probably not the most credible witness as to what may have happened.

HeatherC1212
04-16-2010, 05:03 PM
A Longer Article with More Details about the Incident (http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2010/04/police_capt_michael_vangelo_re.html)

It sounds like there are plenty of people who may be willing to stand up for that cop and what he witnessed at the game. This story really makes me sad for those girls who didn't get to enjoy the game that night. :(

Team Clark
04-16-2010, 05:25 PM
My question is??? Why doesn't he have TWO black eyes?

Brutus
04-16-2010, 05:33 PM
His remarks kind of make my point: that he is talking in this article about wanting to punch the guy if not for his kids being around and that he'd get fired, it comes across like he would have a motive to exaggerate the story. He found a legal alternative to get back at the guy.

I'm not buying the story, honestly. I do think the guy was a drunk who deserved to be kicked out of the game. But I find a little bit of a bigger leap to assume he purposely did this. There's nothing more than an irate father making an allegation. And given the mugshot, someone appeared to land a hard right that wasn't accounted for in the story.

I hate this kind of behavior. I really do. But all I see is some guy who was mouthy and puked all over the place on account of being drunk. Because a kid was unfortunately in the area, people are ready to burn the guy without benefit of knowing what exactly happened.

westofyou
04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Where there's smoke there's fire, I smell smoke.

Not BS

Brutus
04-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm not so sure. For all the talk in the second article about restraint, avoiding hitting the drunk, someone sure landed a pretty good one to the guy's left eye. If the father is responsible for that, it rather taints his account pretty good.

westofyou
04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not so sure. For all the talk in the second article about restraint, avoiding hitting the drunk, someone sure landed a pretty good one to the guy's left eye. If the father is responsible for that, it rather taints his account pretty good.

Single puncher theory seems moot.

"A group of other fans are able to come over right next to me. About five of us knock this guy down and hold him. As we're holding him, he's vomiting on these other fans -- on their shoes, on their pants. It was disgusting."

If he cracked him one then all I have say is, Hey man nice shot.

TheNext44
04-16-2010, 06:15 PM
His remarks kind of make my point: that he is talking in this article about wanting to punch the guy if not for his kids being around and that he'd get fired, it comes across like he would have a motive to exaggerate the story. He found a legal alternative to get back at the guy.

I'm not buying the story, honestly. I do think the guy was a drunk who deserved to be kicked out of the game. But I find a little bit of a bigger leap to assume he purposely did this. There's nothing more than an irate father making an allegation. And given the mugshot, someone appeared to land a hard right that wasn't accounted for in the story.

I hate this kind of behavior. I really do. But all I see is some guy who was mouthy and puked all over the place on account of being drunk. Because a kid was unfortunately in the area, people are ready to burn the guy without benefit of knowing what exactly happened.

I agree with you that there's no proof that the drunk vomited on the girl on purpose, but the father is a cop. I seriously doubt he would risk lying to the media when there dozens of witnesses to this incident. It would ruin his career if he was found out to be lying, especially when there are charges pending against the drunk.

cincinnati chili
04-17-2010, 03:24 AM
If he did what he's accused of doing, it's a vile act. But $36,000 bail? Why? Are they afraid he going to serially run around and barf on people.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5098407

WOY is right that where there's smoke there's usually fire. It's also true that where there's Philly cops and public servants, there's graft and corruption. I'm leaning toward Brutus' take that this is not what it seems.

redsfan1966
04-17-2010, 07:25 AM
"Nothing like fun at the old ballpark!"

Team Clark
04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Single puncher theory seems moot.

"A group of other fans are able to come over right next to me. About five of us knock this guy down and hold him. As we're holding him, he's vomiting on these other fans -- on their shoes, on their pants. It was disgusting."

If he cracked him one then all I have say is, Hey man nice shot.

Filed under "incidental contact." Oooops, sorry your honor, I didn't realize I hit the guy that hard. :D

M2
04-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I grew up in the Philly area and I was amazed the first time I went to a sporting event and it didn't feature numerous fist fights, non-stop vulgarity being shouted from the stands and vomit all over the place. My cousin was telling me recently that the "in" thing these days is women getting in fist fights while guys stand around and cheer.

It's a classy town.

Oh, and the black eye. That's standard issue when you get arrested in Philly. I once saw a Philly cop punch a guy in the face (this was down on South St.) and then break out his club to wail on the guy because he bled on the cop.

RFS62
04-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh, and the black eye. That's standard issue when you get arrested in Philly. I once saw a Philly cop punch a guy in the face (this was down on South St.) and then break out his club to wail on the guy because he bled on the cop.

He was asking for it.

traderumor
04-17-2010, 03:16 PM
How is that evidence? It's an allegation from an upset father who's daughter was exposed to rude fan behavior. Surely you can see how an upset father would possibly exaggerate a story -especially one that knows the law.Maybe you could show your support and post bail for the fine young man.

TeamBoone
04-17-2010, 11:23 PM
It was NOT a Phillie fan that puked on a Phillie fan... it was a NY fan that puked on the Phillie fan. I read this account on Facebook. A totally disgusting act.

Cherry Hill is in New Jersey.

jojo
04-18-2010, 12:09 AM

That's a lot of supposition-on your part.

Meanwhile there is a guy who was clearly blitzed and clearly behaving badly. Then there was a girl wearing his puke.

SandyD
04-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Could the $36000 bail be because he is not a resident of PA? Jurisdictional concerns?

Chip R
04-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Could the $36000 bail be because he is not a resident of PA? Jurisdictional concerns?

It may be in another state but Cherry Hill is a suburb of Philly. It'd be like if someone in Covington committed a crime in Cincinnati.

JaxRed
04-18-2010, 12:48 PM
He better hope the judge has nice hair

jojo
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm3gE76BEgU&feature=player_embedded

M2
04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
It may be in another state but Cherry Hill is a suburb of Philly. It'd be like if someone in Covington committed a crime in Cincinnati.

Exactly. In fact, Cherry Hill is where a lot of pro athletes in Philly take up residence.

Roy Tucker
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM

If someone is loud, drunken, unruly, puking all over creation, and harassing kids at a ballgame, I just don't have a lot of sympathy for him nor do I really give a crap what happens to him.

westofyou
05-25-2010, 01:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-vomitingfanarrested

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—A 21-year-old New Jersey man has pleaded guilty to intentionally vomiting on a man and his 11-year-old daughter in the stands during a Philadelphia Phillies game.

Matthew Clemmens of Cherry Hill, N.J., pleaded guilty to simple assault and other charges Tuesday.

Police say Clemmens stuck his fingers down his throat and vomited on Easton police Captain Michael Vangelo and his daughter during an April 14 Phillies-Nationals game after his companion was ejected from the park.

Sentencing is set for July 30.

Assistant District Attorney Patrick Doyle says sentencing guidelines call for Clemmens to get probation. He says the Vangelo family is satisfied by the plea.

Public defender Richard Hark says Clemmens accepts responsibility for his actions.

Eric_the_Red
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
So, he plead guilty. Brutus, you may continue defending this clown now. ;)

westofyou
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
When it rains it pours.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-phillies-tot-beerbottle

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—A video snippet from a Philadelphia Phillies broadcast appears to show a little boy in the stands taking a drink from a beer bottle, but the team thinks it was probably empty.

The fuzzy video making the rounds online shows the child putting the bottle to his lips at Sunday’s Phillies-Padres game at Citizens Bank Park. No one nearby appears to be paying attention to him when he does. It’s not clear whether the bottle has anything in it.

Phillies spokeswoman Bonnie Clark says the team hasn’t been able to identify the boy. She says it appears to be “a very brief event, probably involving an empty bottle.”

Police say they are not investigating.

Phillies fans have brought unfavorable publicity to the ballclub this year. In April, a drunken fan intentionally vomited on an 11-year-old girl. In May, a police officer used a Taser on a teenager who ran onto the field.

Brutus
06-08-2010, 01:18 PM
So, he plead guilty. Brutus, you may continue defending this clown now. ;)

I once pleaded guilty to a seat belt violation when I was not in violation of it. The cop alleged I had put the seat belt on before he got out of his cruiser.

I pleaded guilty because I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of defending myself.

This kid is getting probation for what happened. Pleading guilty may have seemed like the easiest thing to do.

This doesn't change my opinion one way or another. If he intentionally did vomit on the girl, then boo on him. That he's pleading guilty, in these circumstances, really does not prove anything.

TheNext44
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
When it rains it pours.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-phillies-tot-beerbottle

Most friends of mine with kids have a pic or two of their kids drinking from an empty beer bottle or can. Kids see a bottle and are thirsty. Happens all the time.

Still makes for funny pics.

marcshoe
06-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Most friends of mine with kids have a pic or two of their kids drinking from an empty beer bottle or can. Kids see a bottle and are thirsty. Happens all the time.

Still makes for funny pics.

I still remember when I was a kid, back in the dark ages when fast food places put generic squeeze bottles of ketchup and mustard on the table, seeing a toddler at McDonald's pick up a ketchup bottle and go to town. His parents didn't notice him for a while, then when they did, one of them took the bottle away and put it on a nearby table.

I don't know if the next customer got a little slobber with his fries...:eek:

Roy Tucker
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I remember when I was about 6 or 7, a group of us were sitting on a neighbor's driveway eating some popcorn. The neighbor's dad was sitting in the garage drinking beer.

He went in the house for a few minutes so one of the kids went and got his bottle of Blatz. We sat there eating popcorn and passed the beer around the group of kids.

I remember taking that first sip and thinking "say, this is good". The proverbial fatal glass of beer.

The dad came out and found out what was going on and took the beer and yelled at us and beat his kid.

This was all about 1957 so such things were commonplace.

TRF
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I once pleaded guilty to a seat belt violation when I was not in violation of it. The cop alleged I had put the seat belt on before he got out of his cruiser.

I pleaded guilty because I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of defending myself.

This kid is getting probation for what happened. Pleading guilty may have seemed like the easiest thing to do.

This doesn't change my opinion one way or another. If he intentionally did vomit on the girl, then boo on him. That he's pleading guilty, in these circumstances, really does not prove anything.

Yes, because a seatbelt charge and deliberately vomiting on a small child are so similar. If the guy really didn't do it, he'd fight it as NO ONE wants to be known as the guy that puked on a little kid intentionally.

Brutus
06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes, because a seatbelt charge and deliberately vomiting on a small child are so similar. If the guy really didn't do it, he'd fight it as NO ONE wants to be known as the guy that puked on a little kid intentionally.

Let's drop the pretense that this was some violent crime. It's more of a disgusting, disrespectful issue than one resembling assault.

For goodness sakes... it's vomit. Being vomited on is most certainly unpleasant but come on.

Further, as evidenced by people in this thread, people are convinced he's a baby-killer and should be hung in effigy. So what's the point of going through the trial? Plead guilty, go on probation and get on with his life. Seems like the best thing to do at this point.

durl
06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Several years ago I was at a minor league game here in town and noticed a dad and his probably 4-year old son a few rows down and on the aisle. (Not a huge crowd so easy to see.) The dad had had several beers and eventually went across the aisle and began a conversation with someone that it appeared he knew. Anyway, the boy was VERY interested in that bottle on the ground by daddy's chair. He would inch toward it and eventually got up the courage to pick it up. About then the dad finally paid attention to him again and got it away from him before he could take a drink.

I'm basing it on my personal experience only, but I can't help but think that this kind of thing happens a LOT at sporting events.

TRF
06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Let's drop the pretense that this was some violent crime. It's more of a disgusting, disrespectful issue than one resembling assault.

For goodness sakes... it's vomit. Being vomited on is most certainly unpleasant but come on.

Further, as evidenced by people in this thread, people are convinced he's a baby-killer and should be hung in effigy. So what's the point of going through the trial? Plead guilty, go on probation and get on with his life. Seems like the best thing to do at this point.

Vomit on me intentionally, there would be fists thrown. Vomit on my daughter intentionally, go to the hospital. Fluids CAN be a deadly weapon, if he had a communicable disease.

But that isn't the point, which you have now drifted from: guilt. If he didn't do it intentionally, he'd have fought it. Either way, win or lose, its a misdemeanor, so why have that stigma associated with you? This isn't not wearing a seatbelt. He yakked on a little girl. What woman would ever want to date him? That has to be a thought in his tiny brain. And yeah, it will get around. He plead guilty probably because he wants it gone. less press. And he's probably worried its on some security camera. He's pleading for fear that video does turn up.

I can't believe you are defending the guy.

Brutus
06-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Vomit on me intentionally, there would be fists thrown. Vomit on my daughter intentionally, go to the hospital. Fluids CAN be a deadly weapon, if he had a communicable disease.

But that isn't the point, which you have now drifted from: guilt. If he didn't do it intentionally, he'd have fought it. Either way, win or lose, its a misdemeanor, so why have that stigma associated with you? This isn't not wearing a seatbelt. He yakked on a little girl. What woman would ever want to date him? That has to be a thought in his tiny brain. And yeah, it will get around. He plead guilty probably because he wants it gone. less press. And he's probably worried its on some security camera. He's pleading for fear that video does turn up.

I can't believe you are defending the guy.

I'm not defending the guy, I'm just sick of the hyperbole and blowing everything out of proportion. The witch hunts in this country have to stop.

What he did was disgusting, but it certainly isn't something hurts anyone - even if by chance it was done on purpose (which as I said, we have absolutely no proof that it was nor will we ever.)

Case in point: now no woman will ever date him? That's the kind of hyperbole I'm talking about. It's ridiculous.

He was a drunken fan that did something disgusting. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else is just the typical victim speak that this country has become.

westofyou
06-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Looks to me like the only victims here were the folks that got puked on, hard to paint them as crying about something when the guy who PUKED on them confessed to actually being guilty of the event.

Either way it's gross, uncalled for and completely non-defendable, even if one feels the world is full of people crying wolf... in this case the wolf barfed up on them

TRF
06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
What he did was disgusting, but it certainly isn't something hurts anyone - even if by chance it was done on purpose (which as I said, we have absolutely no proof that it was nor will we ever.)

He admitted it.

Case in point: now no woman will ever date him? That's the kind of hyperbole I'm talking about. It's ridiculous.

He was a drunken fan that did something disgusting. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else is just the typical victim speak that this country has become.

"Hi my name is BLANK. What? am i the guy that yakked on a little girl? errr... look! something shiny!" *runs away*

Eventually he'll get past it sure, but right now, every girl that knows this doof KNOWS he admitted to intentionally throwing up on a little girl. That just screams sexy huh.

Danny Serafini
07-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Looks like he won't be going back to the ballpark any time soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5423356

Slyder
07-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Wow should have thrown the book at this bastard. 1-3 months in jail? Thats just disturbing. You scar a child emotionally in a way like this and get convicted you should get the max period. End of discussion.