PDA

View Full Version : cold remedy

Hoosier Red
04-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Alright my cold has moved to an unacceptable stage. I was at the doctor today who assures me that aside from cough suppressant there's not much I can do.
I'm sitting down with a) Soup, b) a giant mug of tea and expect to load up on codeine laced robitussin(thanks doc) later tonight.

My question is does anyone have any good home remedies I can use so that when I wake up tomorrow, I'll actually be able to breath?

Redsfan320
04-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Halls cough drops (or any, as long as you make sure they have menthol) should work, albeit temporarily.

Hoosier Red
04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks. I'm stuck with a cough + athsma + allergies = sucks to be me.

The other good thing is I have a steroid I can start taking tomorrow. On Sunday I'm replacing Cairo in the lineup.

Redsfan320
04-16-2010, 08:40 PM
allergies

Benadryl for nose and throat, Visine if your eyes get bad like mine!

KoryMac5
04-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Fluids, Fluids, Fluids. Best thing in the world for colds. As far as home remedies for nasal congestion. Steam has always helped me, nice long hot shower will help. Maybe getting a humidifier might be helpful as well. Spicy food can help clear your congestion as well as excercise. If your trouble is mainly while your asleep raise the head of your bed.

I get head colds pretty constantly and these steps have been lifesavers for me.

Hoosier Red
04-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm just realizing that Codeine does not in fact make me tired. Instead I'm hyper like I'm on speed. Should have taken it before I tried to work on my class project last week.

I'm now drinking theraflu. One more glass of tea after this and I should be ready for bed.

jimbo
04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
I started using a Neti Pot about a year or so ago and it has helped me a lot during allergy season and whenever I get a cold or sinus infection. If you've never heard of it, it's a nasal irrigation device that you can find in any drugstore.

gilpdawg
04-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I started using a Neti Pot about a year or so ago and it has helped me a lot during allergy season and whenever I get a cold or sinus infection. If you've never heard of it, it's a nasal irrigation device that you can find in any drugstore.

Yeah, I use a homebrew method of doing the same thing. It works.

TylerScottDavis
04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
1 tablespoon of Braggs' Organic and Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with an 8 oz glass of pure 100% cranberry juice 3 times a day for 2 days.

*drink it through a straw*

/end cold, flu, etc...

REDblooded
04-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Multi-Vitamins... EmergenC is decent too...

GAC
04-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Alright my cold has moved to an unacceptable stage. I was at the doctor today who assures me that aside from cough suppressant there's not much I can do.

Sorry to hear about that Hoosier. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Is it the common cold or a flu, meaning viral? Both are treated differently.

Hoosier Red
04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks GAC,
I am doing much better.

It was a weird combination of allergies, regular asthma, and a head cold which led to all the problems. The doctor said that there wasn't anything building in my chest which confused me because I could feel the constriction and had a terrible cough.

But she prescribed a steroid to help my chest, had me double up on my albuterol, and now my allergies seem to be back in control so I'm way better than on Friday.

Cedric
04-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Multi-Vitamins... EmergenC is decent too...

Just please people don't ever use Zicam of Airborne. You'd be amazed how many people buy these and I tell them not too everyday.

goreds2
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Pasta with added garlic helps me.

REDblooded
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Just please people don't ever use Zicam of Airborne. You'd be amazed how many people buy these and I tell them not too everyday.

lol... it'll get rid of your cold, but you'll lose your sense of smell! enjoy!

Rojo
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Pasta with added garlic helps me.

Hey that's my remedy too. At the very least, all that pasta will put you down. And that's the best thing in the world for a cold.

Falls City Beer
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
On the food tip, order some exceedingly spicy Thai food and drain some of that crap out of your head. Plus, the spices temporarily numb your sore throat.

TeamCasey
04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Sleep, sleep, sleep - and hot showers.

TRF
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Tequila.

You won't care about the cold for very long.