PDA

View Full Version : My challenge trade proposal - Harang for Meche

Tom Servo
04-17-2010, 05:30 PM
So of course many are calling for the head of Aaron Harang after he got knocked around good in his last start. The Reds should be open to trading him, as they should be to any scenario where they could improve their team, but while we all love prospects Harang wouldn't bring back any of particular value. Obviously they could just try a straight salary dump, but I had a different idea.

My proposal would be a swap of Aaron Harang to the Royals for Gil Meche. Harang has struggled over the last two years while Meche had a bad 2009 along with injury problems, and is currently being knocked around this season. Harang is owed $12.5 million for 2010 and, if he's traded, a $14.5 million mutual option for 2011. Meche is owed $12 million in 2010 and $12 million in 2011. Obviously Harang's a bit higher but the Royals could cut ties with him after this year by declining their end of the option, something they couldn't do with Meche.

Meche would be going to the NL for the first time in his career and a change of scenery could do him good. Harang would also be getting a change of scenery and would pitch in a ballpark that isn't such a bandbox.

Thoughts/Criticisms/Concerns?

Redsfan320
04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Doesn't sound too bad for me. I'd be willing to take a chance with him, especially if we can get rid of Harangatang.

Joseph
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
i wouldn't want to be on the hook for 12 million for Meche next season. If it was two expiring contracts I might we willing to take a shot in the dark, but no, not if it costs me 24 million to get rid of 12.5 million.

bucksfan2
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I was actually thinking about a Harang for Oswalt deal. Harang would pretty much be a contractual wash with Oswalt with Harang's contract expiring after this season. Oswalt is under contract until 2011 with a 2012 option. I read Richard Justice on MLB radio talking about Oswalt's record last seaosn and the poor run support he got. I think he could still be a good pitcher into atleast next season. The Reds would have to take on additional payroll but IMO at this point Oswalt > Harang. I don't know if Houston is looking for prospects or salary relief, or both.

Redsfan320
04-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I was actually thinking about a Harang for Oswalt deal.

I'd do it. Oswalt's on the decline, but not as much as Harang...

Will M
04-17-2010, 07:59 PM
i have been thinking of two types of deals the Reds could make.

1. Harang for a position player with fading numbers & a similar fat deal.
How about someone to platoon in LF with Gomes? (with Dickerson getting more ABs in CF).

2. Bailey for a failed prospect (a position player). this is the ole change of scenery deal. i wouldn't do it now but Bailey is also on a short leash.

Both of these deals would involve Wood, Maloney or Chapman coming up from AAA & joining the rotation. thats why the deals are for a position player.

Ghosts of 1990
04-18-2010, 12:45 AM
I'd do it. Oswalt's on the decline, but not as much as Harang...

Oswalt has shown he still has a lot left. He threw seven scoreless innings tonight and got a win. He's a lot more valuable then Harang even with some mileage on him. I don't see any reason why Houston would move him for someone like Harang who's been hit like a snare drum for three years, even if their contracts are similar.

mth123
04-18-2010, 04:50 AM
Oswalt has shown he still has a lot left. He threw seven scoreless innings tonight and got a win. He's a lot more valuable then Harang even with some mileage on him. I don't see any reason why Houston would move him for someone like Harang who's been hit like a snare drum for three years, even if their contracts are similar.

Obviously the Reds would need to sweeten the pot. Houston is awful and their farm system is thin. Probably need to package some guys with Harang. Alonso, Wood and Sulbaran or something along those lines. ITs a long shot that anything like that would happen. Not sure the Astros are even interested in dealing Oswalt.

OldXOhio
04-18-2010, 11:09 AM

If Houston has any sense, they'll wait until July, let the BOS and NYY of baseball bid it up and then trade him for a deal akin to what we've seen for other #1's in recent years.

cincinnati chili
04-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I like the idea of trading Harang, but hate the idea of Meche as a target. Considering that Volquez is (hopefully) back this year and Chapman might be ready this year, I would look to trade him for a hitting prospect rather than another overpaid veteran pitcher. Maybe there's a decent shortstop prospect of who could step in next year or perhaps even this year if Cabrera gets hurt. Just to throw a name out there, how about Reese Havens of the Mets organization? He's not going to get to the majors at shortstop in the Mets organization (Reyes), 3 of the Mets' top 10 prospects are shortstops, he gets on base, the Mets need starting pitching badly and their GM is in a desperate situation where he'll likely mortgage the future (again) given the opportunity, I'm not a big believer in Cozart, and none of us should be a believer in Janish.

The Oswalt idea strikes me as a pipe dream.

_Sir_Charles_
04-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Do we really want to trade Harang when his value is at an all-time low? Seems kind of shortsighted to me. Heck, by letting him walk at the end of the year, the draft picks would be better...right? Or is that not how it works. I can never remember the ins and outs of contract stuff.

Benihana
04-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I was actually thinking about a Harang for Oswalt deal. Harang would pretty much be a contractual wash with Oswalt with Harang's contract expiring after this season. Oswalt is under contract until 2011 with a 2012 option. I read Richard Justice on MLB radio talking about Oswalt's record last seaosn and the poor run support he got. I think he could still be a good pitcher into atleast next season. The Reds would have to take on additional payroll but IMO at this point Oswalt > Harang. I don't know if Houston is looking for prospects or salary relief, or both.

Agree that Oswalt > Harang. The Reds would have to throw in a pretty serious prospect to get that deal done, and even then Oswalt would have to approve it. I'd imagine Yonder Alonso would be pretty attractive to Houston.

Harang and Alonso for Oswalt? Not sure I love it, but if the Reds are serious about contending this year, they have to at least consider it. Not sure it solves the offense problem though.

klw
04-18-2010, 01:27 PM
The way you get Oswalt for Harang without including a propect is to me it Harang for Oswalt and Carlos Lee. Houston may even need to throw in a prospect for the Reds to take on 18 million a year for Lee.

Benihana
04-18-2010, 01:36 PM
The way you get Oswalt for Harang without including a propect is to me it Harang for Oswalt and Carlos Lee. Houston may even need to throw in a prospect for the Reds to take on 18 million a year for Lee.

And while I'd love it, that's about as likely as ______.

flyer85
04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
whats the point, likely better options at AAA

camisadelgolf
07-28-2010, 12:39 AM
bump

Cedric
07-28-2010, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't want Meche in the rotation if he made minimum. Having him in the rotation at 12 million makes me sick.

camisadelgolf
07-28-2010, 12:48 AM
For those who didn't know, Meche is getting season-ending, career-threatening shoulder surgery done soon.

mth123
07-28-2010, 12:52 AM
For those who didn't know, Meche is getting season-ending, career-threatening shoulder surgery done soon.

That makes this trade more appealing. KC takes Harang and deals us Meche and money to cover all but the minimum of his salary. The Reds get payflex to make actual moves to improve the team.

I know it won't happen and I'm joking, but if that deal were available the Reds should do it.

Tom Servo
07-28-2010, 01:25 AM
I figured someone would do this. I REGRET NOTHING.