PDA

View Full Version : The definitive Jay Bruce thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Not to pile on, but no HR's in July, 3 in June, 3 in May. .235 OBP in July, while slugging .261.

It's time to sit the kid for a few days, imo. Or, better yet, platoon him. Please. I'd like to stay in the race. This isn't the ONLY issue, but it's definitely looming large for this team.

What Rick said but I agree that in some instances it might be wise to sit him, I just would be careful not to do it alot. The other night for example I thought was one of those opportunities missed he should have been sat for Heisey. He'd been struggling alot already and a tough lefty is out there and all we need is a flyball, a Heisey specialty. Sure Heisey wasn't a lock as he has had contact issues himself but he was clearly the ideal guy at a time when we needed it (and this isn't hindsight, thought it before Jay got to the plate). I know why Dusty didn't do it (Jays confidence) but I think at this point we are sort of past that point considering the circumstances.

SirFelixCat
07-31-2010, 08:05 PM
What Rick said but I agree that in some instances it might be wise to sit him, I just would be careful not to do it alot. The other night for example I thought was one of those opportunities missed he should have been sat for Heisey. He'd been struggling alot already and a tough lefty is out there and all we need is a flyball, a Heisey specialty. Sure Heisey wasn't a lock as he has had contact issues himself but he was clearly the ideal guy at a time when we needed it (and this isn't hindsight, thought it before Jay got to the plate). I know why Dusty didn't do it (Jays confidence) but I think at this point we are sort of past that point considering the circumstances.

Absolutely Dusty should have PH Heisey for Bruce vs the tough lefty. I'll be honest, if Jay's confidence is so delicate as to him being PH for, then, well, c'est la vie. But we're in a freaking PENNANT RACE! I want wins, not coddling of players. He's 23, yadda yadda, but not only has his power absolutely disappeared the entire season, but he has regressed at the plate. Platoon him, imo.

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Absolutely Dusty should have PH Heisey for Bruce vs the tough lefty. I'll be honest, if Jay's confidence is so delicate as to him being PH for, then, well, c'est la vie. But we're in a freaking PENNANT RACE! I want wins, not coddling of players. He's 23, yadda yadda, but not only has his power absolutely disappeared the entire season, but he has regressed at the plate. Platoon him, imo.

I don't think he has regressed at all, he hit .223 last year. And his power is unchanged it's his power production that has slipped but again it's all in his approach/mechanics. And I don't believe his confidence is an issue or would be over a few shrewd moves here and there but it can become one if Dusty gives up on him altogether. Dusty needs to pick his spots wisely.

SirFelixCat
07-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't think he has regressed at all, he hit .223 last year. And his power is unchanged it's his power production that has slipped but again it's all in his approach/mechanics. And I don't believe his confidence is an issue or would be over a few shrewd moves here and there but it can become one if Dusty gives up on him altogether. Dusty needs to pick his spots wisely.

I do disagree w/ him regressing vs LHP (I should have clarified that in my previous post). And if his approach/mechanics are screwing things up, then isn't that regressing? If he's not getting better, then....

And I agree w/ you about Dusty picking his spots, but last night was definitely one of them. He should put Jay in spots where he has a good chance to succeed, not continue to struggle. I'm frustrated that he (Jay) is run out there, day-in-and-day-out vs LHP. Just stop doing it, imo.

And yes, there are other issues as big, if not bigger than this, I understand that (I'm looking at you, O-Cab), but this being Jay's thread and all....

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
I do disagree w/ him regressing vs LHP (I should have clarified that in my previous post). And if his approach/mechanics are screwing things up, then isn't that regressing? If he's not getting better, then....

Vs. LHP, perhaps he has there I haven't took a look much at his splits past and present I'm not sure he has ever hit very well against them. IMO you can't regress simply by not moving forward at least not over this span and considering age. If he were 28 and/or had 3 or 4 full season under his belt I'd start seriously worrying about him. But better hitters than him have struggled at this age and for this long or longer in the past (see Larry Walker who didn't get it until right about now and he was a far better pure hitter with less contact issues).

And I agree w/ you about Dusty picking his spots, but last night was definitely one of them. He should put Jay in spots where he has a good chance to succeed, not continue to struggle. Hence my vote for a platoon.

I wouldn't straight platoon him but yeah Heisey getting an extra day every 2 weeks there wouldn't be a bad thing. I just think Jays defense alone merits keeping him out there everyday, when he isn't out there you see a big difference in run scoring against us. Guys taking 3rd and/or going home more often.

I should add that this could be improved by putting an actual threat behind Jay in the lineup right now he is not getting much to swing at anyway.

corkedbat
08-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Vs. LHP, perhaps he has there I haven't took a look much at his splits past and present I'm not sure he has ever hit very well against them. IMO you can't regress simply by not moving forward at least not over this span and considering age. If he were 28 and/or had 3 or 4 full season under his belt I'd start seriously worrying about him. But better hitters than him have struggled at this age and for this long or longer in the past (see Larry Walker who didn't get it until right about now and he was a far better pure hitter with less contact issues).

I wouldn't straight platoon him but yeah Heisey getting an extra day every 2 weeks there wouldn't be a bad thing. I just think Jays defense alone merits keeping him out there everyday, when he isn't out there you see a big difference in run scoring against us. Guys taking 3rd and/or going home more often.

I should add that this could be improved by putting an actual threat behind Jay in the lineup right now he is not getting much to swing at anyway.

The Reds three starting OF are on course to average 16 HRs and 70 RBIs a spot with Bruce contributing 12 or 14 HRs and 60 RBIs. That way to little, even when you factor in Gomes' over-achieving 65 RBIs thus far.

Gomes is a proto-type 4th or 5th OF and RH bat off the bench who is giving his all and Stubbs is out there for his glove adding spotty -bottom-third offense. Bruce however is the former 1st round pick with the 35 HR/100+ RBI potential. He mnust pick it up.

I'm agree he's 23 and I'm not calling him a bust or saying dump him. I am saying though that I think it's going to be hard for the Reds to stay in contention if he doesn't add more over the last two months. Some of the guys that have carried the offense are likely to tail off some. Bruce is the one spot where there is the most potential for the offense to pickup a big boost.

Jay is capable of hitting 8-10 HRs a month in Aug & Sept. He's capable of carrying this team on his back, but it has to start very soon. If it doesn't they need to shake things up. I would agree with trying him at the top of the lineup, I'd start playing Heisey in his place in RF on a semi-regular basis and if need be I'd even consider sending Bruce to L'Ville for a couple of weeks when Dickerson comes back (Dickerson, Nix and Heisey splitting time in right).

Whatever the option though, things have to change. Bruce was handed the RF job and has been under no pressure all season - that hasn't worked. Maybe if a little pressure is applied he will respond and fight for the position.

If all else fails and the current level continues, the Reds are not going to be able to count on him as a middle-order force in the lineup. They will need to look for a more consistent producer in LF until Bruce finally is able to realize his potential (if he does).

Ghosts of 1990
08-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Man he's such a disappointment. It's hard for me to accept because he's such a good kid; and he plays the game the right way. He's a guy I was hoping to be able to pull for in a Reds uniform for 10-15 years. He'll always be one of my favorite people who ever wore a Reds uniform for these reasons. A class act, a good person, and a guy who played the game hard and just came up short for whatever reasons (poor luck, mental/lack of confidence, and just sheer lack of adjustment making ability at the MLB level).

I do think he's got a good career ahead of him--but he won't realize it until he has a change of scenery. He'll be 28 somewhere else in baseball and put together a huge season. And then, we'll say we knew him when he was having these puzzling seasons and if he just would have put it all together; we could have won a division title.

It's a shame. But it's not unlike so many guys I've really liked a lot in both Reds uniforms as well as other sports.

I've finally started to give in to the fact it's just not meant to work out here for the kid. Sure did start nicely, and there's been some glimpses and special moments for sure. I think 2011 is Bruce's last year in Cincinnati.

Homer Bailey
08-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Needs a change of scenery at age 23 despite being on pace to be a 2+ win player.

Sigh.

OnBaseMachine
08-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Man he's such a disappointment. It's hard for me to accept because he's such a good kid; and he plays the game the right way. He's a guy I was hoping to be able to pull for in a Reds uniform for 10-15 years. He'll always be one of my favorite people who ever wore a Reds uniform for these reasons. A class act, a good person, and a guy who played the game hard and just came up short for whatever reasons (poor luck, mental/lack of confidence, and just sheer lack of adjustment making ability at the MLB level).

I do think he's got a good career ahead of him--but he won't realize it until he has a change of scenery. He'll be 28 somewhere else in baseball and put together a huge season. And then, we'll say we knew him when he was having these puzzling seasons and if he just would have put it all together; we could have won a division title.

It's a shame. But it's not unlike so many guys I've really liked a lot in both Reds uniforms as well as other sports.

I've finally started to give in to the fact it's just not meant to work out here for the kid. Sure did start nicely, and there's been some glimpses and special moments for sure. I think 2011 is Bruce's last year in Cincinnati.

He's 23 years old and is basically a league average hitter and plus defender. He also only has 1,255 plate appearances (about two seasons worth) in the major leagues. Can we please stop acting like he's a finished product? One month ago Bruce was OPSing around .830 with an OPS+ around 115-120. He had a horrible month of July, no doubt about that, but he was well above average in the first three months. I see no reason why he won't bounce back in August and September.

11larkin11
08-01-2010, 01:55 AM
In the 4+ years I've been on this board, this board has never had such a bad case of the sky is falling. Its honestly becoming painstaking to read. And this is the best season we've had in 10 years!!!

TheNext44
08-01-2010, 02:28 AM
In the 4+ years I've been on this board, this board has never had such a bad case of the sky is falling. Its honestly becoming painstaking to read. And this is the best season we've had in 10 years!!!

Those two might be linked.

I read that people with deep seated beliefs, when presented with facts that contradict their beliefs, actually become more entrenched in those beliefs.

Ron Madden
08-01-2010, 02:31 AM

It's not everybody. I doubt it's even 25% of the active members.

And just because someone disagrees with a move made by Dusty or Walt they should not be labeled as Chicken Little.

GAC
08-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Needs a change of scenery at age 23 despite being on pace to be a 2+ win player.

Sigh.

Yeah, I never understood this logic unless there was something really glaring or obvious going on that a change of scenery would somehow correct. When people make this contention I wish they'd be more specific as to what "tangible" is present in Cincy that is holding Bruce back and keeping him from being the player they want him to be. Is it the clubhouse environment? the coaching? Just the fact of being in Cincy? What is it?

westofyou
08-01-2010, 12:27 PM
It's not everybody. I doubt it's even 25% of the active members.

And just because someone disagrees with a move made by Dusty or Walt they should not be labeled as Chicken Little.

No, they shouldn't but the beating that Bruce takes is hilarious. Especially when the guy loading the cannon has his name on his posts.

That is a great example of irony, and has me shaking my head in laughter.

Ron Madden
08-01-2010, 01:04 PM
No, they shouldn't but the beating that Bruce takes is hilarious. Especially when the guy loading the cannon has his name on his posts.

Agreed.

nate
08-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Yes.

Ron Madden
08-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Are you outta your mind?

HokieRed
08-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Prediction: Bruce will come on from now until the end of this year, be the regular right fielder and put up good solid numbers next year, and then get better again in 2012. He's a very young player, and this is a tough game. Too much projection from stats and focus on comps obscures that.

Falls City Beer
08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Prediction: Bruce will come on from now until the end of this year, be the regular right fielder and put up good solid numbers next year, and then get better again in 2012. He's a very young player, and this is a tough game. Too much projection from stats and focus on comps obscures that.

I think Bruce will mash against Pirates' RHPs.

guttle11
08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Definitely hard to watch him right now. He seems so beaten mentally, almost like he's just giving up on ABs. I don't pretend to know what's going on in his head, but his body language displays zero confidence in himself.

Falls City Beer
08-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Definitely hard to watch him right now. He seems so beaten mentally, almost like he's just giving up on ABs. I don't pretend to know what's going on in his head, but his body language displays zero confidence in himself.

Then it's Dusty's job to give him a day or three off.

Ghosts of 1990
08-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Yup, we'll have to wait another day for him to set the world on fire and break this puzzling long homerless streak.

cincrazy
08-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Agreed. I think he's a bit shaken right now and could use some rest. I was at the Nationals game that was delayed almost three hours by rain, and I was sitting in right field after the game resumed. After Mike Morse cleared the bases with his shot into the rightfield corner, Bruce caught some flak from a jackass sitting in the front row. It was unnecessary, but not that much different from anything you'd normally hear. But Jay turned around and fired back at the guy while walking towards him.

Now, I certainly didn't get the impression that Bruce was going to go Ron Artest and rip the guy's head off. But a player more confident in his abilities would have ignored the fool.

Bruce will be FINE. The Reds are just simply asking him to do too much right now. He's not developed enough to be the third best hitter on this team. In time, yes. Now, no. Not his fault.

mdccclxix
08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Here's a question I had during the game today that some of you who played at advanced levels might be able to answer.

If Bruce is always pulling that outside pitch to the second basemen because he's early, would it help for him to move forward in the box a few inches? Seems simplistic, but maybe it would help him drive the ball up the middle more often and keep those bombs fair instead of foul in right field.

Ghosts of 1990
08-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Here's a question I had during the game today that some of you who played at advanced levels might be able to answer.

If Bruce is always pulling that outside pitch to the second basemen because he's early, would it help for him to move forward in the box a few inches? Seems simplistic, but maybe it would help him drive the ball up the middle more often and keep those bombs fair instead of foul in right field.

Very hard to be successful when you're pulling the outside pitch. It isn't a matter of going up or back in the box. Hitters at a young age are taught to hit the pitch outside the other way. In fact, you'll see more mature hitters hit the pitch down the middle the other way or up the middle when they could easily pull it. He has to use left field on the outside pitch. There's just nothing else he can do in the way of adjustments. Wait on it, and hit line drives. Use all fields. No one exbihibits it better then Mr. Votto.

alloverjr
08-02-2010, 12:20 AM

He just seems to be incable of pitch recognition right now IMO. Scared to get beat inside so he opens up a little. Cheats a bit on the fastball. Gets slow slop on the outer half. Any or all of these could explain the weak groundouts to 2nd and the lack of power to left. Moving up in the box would probably make his current problems worse. I agree he needs a mental break for his own good. For the team, I don't think it matters right now as whoever starts - Nix and Heisey today - seems to take an 0-fer. He'll be fine in time, it's unfortunate that his problems are magnified by the Reds being in contention and half the starting 8 offensive black holes right now. Can't hide him.

oregonred
08-02-2010, 12:27 AM
woy - You are the best. LOL

Ghosts of 1990
08-02-2010, 12:44 AM

Well it's obvious that I care a lot about the kid's performance. He was all the rage around when I found these forums and I guess I Couldn't think of a nickname so I just went with it. I guess I have a lot of passion about Bruce, he's an easy guy to root for. When rough patches hit, I tend to get more frustrated with him then I do other guys. I admit it.

Ghosts of 1990
08-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Found this on another Reds forum I lurk on.

Topic: Why can't Bruce hit for power anymore?

Bruce's reduction in power is indeed caused by a reduction in bat speed but the reasons are not because of an "offensive' or "defensive" swing. The problem is he is overstriding -an affliction that usually occurs in amature or low minor league players. Major league hitters while they sometimes stride, they get their front foot down very quickly and therefore hit from a solid base- two feet on the ground.

Bruce lunges with his front foot and by doing so changes his eye level and as a result it looks like he is "feeling" for the ball rather than smashing it. I saw a video on Josh Hamilton a few weeks ago and it talked about how he has gone to a no stride swing and the difference it has made in his power. Look at Votto. He doesn't stride either. He simply lifts his right leg to start his momentum but both feet are firmly on the ground and he is in perfect balance when he swings.

The best way to make a hitter reduce his stride is to spread out more in the batter's box. Again, like Phillips, Votto and Hamilton. It's really incredible that the Reds' coaching staff has allowed Bruce to maintain these bad habits during a pennant race. Bruce needs a month in Louisville to straighten out this flaw.

By the way, this is not my idea. I learned this "over striding" issue from playing with Jose Cardenal for six years (former Reds' coach) and Bruce is a classic example of what can happen to a hitter that falls into that habit...if he doesn't correct it, he will risk his career because the pitchers know what he is doing and will simply over power him with fastballs that he can't catch up with.

westofyou
08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
They oughta tie his feet together and make him chase chickens, that will straighten out his footwork.

CTA513
08-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Stop sitting on the couch in the clubhouse and everything will be fine.

Brutus
08-04-2010, 12:36 AM
That OPS is really starting to take a brutal hit. It's becoming harder to justify leaving him in the lineup with this extended slump he's in. He looks lost out there.

I don't like relying too heavily on monthly splits, but since July 1, Bruce has been about as bad as one can be:

20-of-102 (.196)
0 HR / 6 RBI
6 BB / 31 K
.241 / .255 / .496 OPS

Slumps happen, and perhaps that's mostly all there is. Right now, though, the Reds sure aren't getting much from Bruce (or much of their outfield, for that matter).

Marc D
08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
0-5 tonight with 2 K's

33 K's, 20 hits, 6 BB in his last 114 PA's

uncle

OnBaseMachine
08-04-2010, 01:05 AM
The whole outfield is a mess right now. Gomes/Stubbs/Bruce are all struggling mightily. The outfield better turn it around soon or this team is going to be in trouble.

SirFelixCat
08-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Well...

I do really, REALLY want the kid to succeed. But the fact is, the Reds are knee deep in a pennant race and I simply have no wish to see him playing everyday anymore. I don't know what it's going to take for him to find 'it' again, but running him out there every day is just hurting this team.

Bring up Dickerson, send Stubbs down so he can get AB's every day, start CD in CF and Heisey in RF. Give more starts to Francisco in LF and go from there. But enough is enough. I don't give a hoot that he's 23. We're in a pennant race and having Bruce in RF isn't helping this team win. Plain and simple.

CTA513
08-04-2010, 01:13 AM
I think the 800 pound gorilla might be able to hit for more power.

:D

OnBaseMachine
08-04-2010, 01:14 AM
If the Reds send Bruce and Stubbs down then what do they do with Gomes? Send him down too or release him? He's an even bigger problem than Bruce and Stubbs.

SirFelixCat
08-04-2010, 01:17 AM
If the Reds send Bruce and Stubbs down then what do they do with Gomes? Send him down too or release him? He's an even bigger problem than Bruce and Stubbs.

I never advocated sending Bruce down, but that definitely has merit, imo. And as to your point about Gomes...there is always Nix or Francisco.

The Operator
08-04-2010, 01:18 AM

Agreed. The entire outfield is a mess.

That being said, I think Gomes is here to stay. He's a liability, but he has 65 RBI and that's gonna keep him in Dusty's lineup.

nemesis
08-04-2010, 01:21 AM
You could go with Heisey, Dickerson and Nix for a couple games just to shake up the Line Up and give Bruce and Gomes about 4 or 5 games off. Regarless, Gomes needs to go back to a platoon situation in LF with Nix at the least.

SirFelixCat
08-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Personally, I'd love to see what Francisco could do playing a few games in LF. Yes his defense isn't great, but neither is Gomes and the kid is en fuego right now.

nemesis
08-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Personally, I'd love to see what Francisco could do playing a few games in LF. Yes his defense isn't great, but neither is Gomes and the kid is en fuego right now.

I just can't see Dusty giving him that much playing time over "proven" guys at this point. I fear he is going to rot on the bench as a pinch hitter.

reds44
08-04-2010, 01:24 AM
At this point, I think you have to play Heisey everyday and play Dickerson against RHP. That seems clear, IMO. What you do with Gomes/Bruce and CF against LHP is going to be tough. Ideally the Reds can swing a deal for Damon or even *GASP* Manny. That would be a huge lift for this team.

Dickerson coming up more than likely gets Janish out of the 2 hole, which can only be good as well.

WVRedsFan
08-04-2010, 01:26 AM

Good point and well taken. This whole argument (a sane argument, if you will) comes about because we are getting no production from our outfield. Gomes, Stubbs and Bruce are all floundering at the plate. You can send Bruce and Stubbs down to get their confidence up, but who do you replace them with? Nix, Dickerson, and Heisey? My concern is with that philosophy, you break up the chemistry of the team. As I mentioned in the game thread, Bruce is suffereing from a lack of confidence and poor mechanics. Don 't start him every game and platoon him with Heisey. Same with Stubbds. The pressure on Stubbs and Bruce is tremendous. Adding Dickerson in (and I beleive that you must pick your spots when he plays) is a good strategic move. Play Stubbs, Bruce Dickerson, and platoon Gomes and Nix for now. Mix it up. But if they need to send Bruce and/or Stubbs down, do it for the right reasons.

Right now Bruce is almost worthless as a hitter. The same could be said for Gomes and Stubbs. Experiment and see what works. But don't put the pressure on these kids. Bruce was excpected to be the next Junior Griffey. He's not yet. Watch his body language. He bites his lip like a junior high player. He's failed before he gets to the plate. Same with Stubbs. Too much pressure too soon. Some can handle it and some cannot. Whatever route they take, I just want to win and now none of these three are helping us win. Time to make some changes.

And, yeah. I miss Josh Hamilton. Why oh why?

reds44
08-04-2010, 01:29 AM
LF: Heisey vR, Gomes vL
CF: Dickerson vR, Stubbs vL
RF: Bruce vR, Heisey vL

is ideally what I'd like to see right now. There's only one problem with that, we're not going to get rid of Nix and you can only carry 25. That means either Stubbs is in AAA or you send JF back to the minors.

WVRedsFan
08-04-2010, 01:30 AM
LF: Heisey vR, Gomes vL
CF: Dickerson vR, Stubbs vL
RF: Bruce vR, Heisey vL

is ideally what I'd like to see right now. There's only one problem with that, we're not going to get rid of Nix and you can only carry 25. That means either Stubbs is in AAA or you send JF back to the minors.

Sad, but Dickerson is the odd man out, but otherwise, i totally agree. And as for Nix, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him go. He's not the future.

reds44
08-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Sad, but Dickerson is the odd man out, but otherwise, i totally agree. And as for Nix, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him go. He's not the future.
Him and Heisey are the only two OFers who can hit the ball right now, though.

Ghosts of 1990
08-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Bruce looks like a guy who might just decide to quit the game altogether at year's end and not come back. I swear he's never going to hit again.

KronoRed
08-04-2010, 01:48 AM
I don't think it would be the end of the world for the 23 year old Bruce to head down to AAA for a few weeks and remember how to hit and that the game is supposed to be fun.

fearofpopvol1
08-04-2010, 02:08 AM
I've been real patient with Bruce...and I still am for the longterm. And I do love his defense...a LOT.

But it's hard to watch him at the plate right now. If a pitcher throws a breaking pitch either down and/or away...Bruce rarely makes contact. Same problem for Stubbs. Love his defense, but he can't hit breaking pitches.

One thing is absolutely clear...Heisey is delivering and he should be playing everyday until he cools off, whether that's in LF, CF or RF.

I don't know what the answer is other than playing Heisey more (because Gomes has been bad too), but Dickerson is knocking on the door right now, and pretty hard.

The Operator
08-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Bruce looks like a guy who might just decide to quit the game altogether at year's end and not come back. I swear he's never going to hit again.

Step back from the ledge. He will live.

mdccclxix
08-04-2010, 02:26 AM

Nix CAN play CF, so the alignment above can still work without CDick.

westofyou
08-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Step back from the ledge. He will live.

Yes, I've done the research he's not the 1st guy to experience a slump or retrograde.

Al Kaline 1960 and Johnny Bench 1973 say howdy.

Ron Madden
08-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Yes, I've done the research he's not the 1st guy to experience a slump or retrograde.

Al Kaline 1960 and Johnny Bench 1973 say howdy.

Agreed.

Al Kaline 1960 and Johnny Bench 1973 got to play through their slumps without a certain HOF Broadcaster fanning the flames and turning the great majority of the fan base against them.

Not saying Jay Bruce will ever have a career close to those of Kaline or Bench but there are similarities. Baseball is a difficult game, more often than not youngsters will struggle. You can't give up on a kid with that kind of talent, let him live and learn.

Homer Bailey
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Marty made the comment the other day, and I thought it was ridiculous at the time, but after watching Bruce last night, he may be spot on. It seems like everyone of Jay Bruce's swings looks exactly the same. Wherever the ball is, the bat goes through the zone at the same point on every swing. While this is a slight exaggeration, he isn't too far off. It seems like Bruce sees a pitch he likes, and swings the bat. It does not look like he's trying to actually hit the ball, or drive it a specific direction.

I've been very patient all year with Jay, but it's hard to continue that. He looks so bad at the plate right now. I have no idea what the Reds should do with him. None.

membengal
08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Didn't we have a "predict Jay Bruce's stats" thread in spring training? Perhaps those most upset with his year are the ones who expected things from him that they are not getting.

Chip R
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd like to see scouting reports on him and see how they pitch him.

bucksfan2
08-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Throw the ball over the plate and have him swing right through it.

I was listening to the Reds game on the radio last night and when Bruce was at bat Marty said "Bruce waives at a breaking ball". Brantley then made a comment that they needed to tape him saying that in order to save his voice. Unfortunately Bruce has been waiving at way too many pitches.

medford
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
A month+ ago, shortly after Jay hit his 10th homerun, someone questioned if Joey could get to 40, and if rolen would get to 30 dingers. I made the statement then that it wouldn't surprise me to see Jay continue his strong pace (at that recent point) and get to 30 dingers by seasons end. A month+ later and I'm still waiting for #11.

Dickerson is due off his rehab assignement, I believe they said he had a death in the family (don't know how close) and may be heading back to Cali for a few days, but after that I assume he's coming up and Stubbs is going back down (perhaps the death was expected a bit and the reason why Dickerson has remained in Louisville for his full rehab assignement). When Dickerson gets back, lets assume for the Cards series, I wonder if Gomes, Dickerson & Heisey will start to be the regular outfield until a change is needed.

I get all the Bruce is only 23 argument, but for someone that so many people thought was going to be a sure-fire multiple all star, he sure is struggling 1,200+ at bats into his career. Are there any decent comps out there to someone that has struggled this much early on and went on to fulfill the promise we once had? At least he still plays great defense.

Razor Shines
08-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Well I've avoided this thread for a while because it was starting to get redundant. Jumped back in today and it's pretty much the same.

-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Hilarious observation from WOY.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Jaybruce32 writes what appears to be the real Jay Bruce's Obit.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Hilarious observation by WOY.

Did I miss anything?

And by the way he's 23.

fearofpopvol1
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Well I've avoided this thread for a while because it was starting to get redundant. Jumped back in today and it's pretty much the same.

-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Hilarious observation from WOY.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Jaybruce32 writes what appears to be the real Jay Bruce's Obit.
-Bruce sucks.
-He's 23.
-Hilarious observation by WOY.

Did I miss anything?

And by the way he's 23.

Not at all. I've seen very few people say "he sucks." And I haven't seen too many people talk about his age either. Maybe you should actually read.

Razor Shines
08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Not at all. I've seen very few people say "he sucks." And I haven't seen too many people talk about his age either. Maybe you should actually read.

Take it easy, it was a joke. I know no one has actually said he sucks and I've read pretty much every post.

BTW, you haven't seen too many people talk about his age? In this thread?

fearofpopvol1
08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Take it easy, it was a joke. I know no one has actually said he sucks and I've read pretty much every post.

I was joking as well.

Earlier in the thread more people talked about his age...but the last few pages, I haven't seen as many people talking about it.

bucksfan2
08-04-2010, 12:52 PM

I hear Bruce is 23 in my dreams because it is brought up over and over again.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I get all the Bruce is only 23 argument, but for someone that so many people thought was going to be a sure-fire multiple all star, he sure is struggling 1,200+ at bats into his career. Are there any decent comps out there to someone that has struggled this much early on and went on to fulfill the promise we once had? At least he still plays great defense.

I don't know, but I'm starting to wonder if Jay Bruce will be more Austin Kearns than Larry Walker. Nothing wrong with that. It just might be the case.

His career is really starting to remind me of Kearns, but at least Kearns had Ray King sitting on him as an excuse for not taking it to the next level.

westofyou
08-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I hear Bruce is 23 in my dreams because it is brought up over and over again.

Probably because the list of guys with 1000 ab's at that age is a pretty small list.

medford
08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't know, but I'm starting to wonder if Jay Bruce will be more Austin Kearns than Larry Walker. Nothing wrong with that. It just might be the case.

His career is really starting to remind me of Kearns, but at least Kearns had Ray King sitting on him as an excuse for not taking it to the next level.

That's kind of been my thought, though Kearns had a rumored lack of work ethic question hanging over his head that I haven't seen pop up w/ Bruce. This lineup really needs his bat and power that we all (or I guess many of us anyways) thought was a given.

Mario-Rijo
08-05-2010, 10:08 AM

AVG VS. RH VS. LH
Fastballs .268 .288 .217
Curves .263 .268 .257
Sliders .163 .169 .157
Change Ups .221 .238 .083
Other .125 .125 .000

Since I can't transfer it I'll have to explain his hitting zone box, you know the one with 9 quadrants which represent the inside, middle and then outside portions of the plate while simultaneously giving you up, heart of and lower part of the strikezone. It's his batting average in these quadrants. We also have the % of pitches chased in these same quadrants outside the zone which I'll add on to the end of the #'s.

Hot Zone
Cold Zone

Up and In Hitting .205 - O-Zone 26% pitches chased
Middle In Hitting .172 - O-Zone 28%
Low and In Hitting .152 - O-Zone 26%

Up and heart of the plate - .419 - O-Zone 55% chased
Middle heart of the plate - .368
Down heart of the plate - .353 - O-Zone 31% chased

Up and outside part of the plate - .292 - O-Zone 28% chased
Middle outside part of the plate - .354 - O-Zone 15% chased
Down outside part of the plate - .155 - O-Zone 25% chased

To take it one step further here is his spray chart:
LF - 21%
Leftside of IF - 6%

CF - 14%
Center of IF - 5%

RF - 26%
Rightside of IF - 28%

What that all tells me is mostly what we already know. He is too aggressive and when he fixes that he will fix alot of these issues. How some think that means he needs to "fix his swing" I don't know. He needs to settle down at the plate just watch him he is chomping at the bit up there, when he seems a little less animated he does much better. Only time fixes that IMO.

Always Red
08-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Fay checks in:

"Wily Mo Pena never saw a slider. They were all fastballs to him" -- stat guru Bill James

CHICAGO - Wily Mo Pena's inability to recognize pitches put him in a place Reds manager Dusty Baker calls No Man's Land. It's a place no hitter wants to be. It's where a hitter gets stranded between fastball and breaking ball.

"You're behind the fastball and ahead of the breaking ball," Baker said. "Or your body's not in position to do anything about what you've recognized. Your body is out front or too far back. You've got to keep your body in the proper position to combat whatever he's going to throw."

"Anybody's who's played has been there. The great ones only visit it for a few days. The rest of us are assigned there for a time."

Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs have set up camp in No Man's Land.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100805/SPT/8060365/Bruce-Stubbs-stuck-in-No-Man-s-Land

That's really a great quote by Dusty, and proof to me that he is the de facto batting coach for this team.

And it describes, to a "T" what I am seeing when Bruce and Stubbs both are at the plate these days. Total indecision in their eyes, their manner, and the way they approach the plate.

Ghosts of 1990
08-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Fay checks in:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100805/SPT/8060365/Bruce-Stubbs-stuck-in-No-Man-s-Land

That's really a great quote by Dusty, and proof to me that he is the de facto batting coach for this team.

And it describes, to a "T" what I am seeing when Bruce and Stubbs both are at the plate these days. Total indecision in their eyes, their manner, and the way they approach the plate.

Great writing by Fay (did I just type that?) Nice use of the quote by the Duster.

All I can do is just keep on hoping that the kids come out of it, along with Gomes. The great thing about baseball is with every new day there is hope.

REDblooded
08-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Bruce is 23

cincrazy
08-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't worry about Bruce much in the long term. But short term, he's KILLING this team. Yes, he brings great defense to the plate. But he's a blackhole in the lineup right now. Long term, I love what Bruce brings to the table. In terms of this year, this pennant race... I'd rather see him in AAA or the bench if he can't figure it out quickly. The time to develop players in Cincinnati in August and September has passed.

REDblooded
08-06-2010, 01:00 AM
I REALLY just think he's hitting in the wrong spot... Right now, Bruce should be hitting 2nd for a few weeks... see what happens...

Ghosts of 1990
08-06-2010, 01:21 AM
I REALLY just think he's hitting in the wrong spot... Right now, Bruce should be hitting 2nd for a few weeks... see what happens...

Dusty won't do it. Doesnt seem to trust him.

KronoRed
08-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Also can't have Bruce in the 2 spot because having two left handers in a row will cause pandemonium.

REDblooded
08-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Also can't have Bruce in the 2 spot because having two left handers in a row will cause pandemonium.

Unless you're a casual fan and can notice that Votto doesn't have an extreme l/r split...

KronoRed
08-06-2010, 04:33 AM
Unless you're a casual fan and can notice that Votto doesn't have an extreme l/r split...

Pfft, stats, two lefties can't be in a row..it's the law :D

cincrazy
08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't worry about Bruce much in the long term. But short term, he's KILLING this team. Yes, he brings great defense to the table. But he's a blackhole in the lineup right now. Long term, I love what Bruce brings to the table. In terms of this year, this pennant race... I'd rather see him in AAA or the bench if he can't figure it out quickly. The time to develop players in Cincinnati in August and September has passed.

Always Red
08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

that's true....

how did Ruth and Gehrig get away with it all of those years??:D

Mario-Rijo
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Much worse than that, it'd be downright pandelirium!

bucksfan2
08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Yea it makes total sense to give more at bats to a guy who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Right now I don't care if he is 23 or has a bright future. The Reds are in the midst of a playoff chase and the Cards don't care if Bruce is just 23. Every time he strikes out I don't find any solace in him being 23. Right now to me a see a 23 year old who is lost but has options. USE THEM.

Kc61
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Votto has a 1.141 OPS against righty pitching.
Votto has a .803 OPS against lefty pitching.

Hitting Bruce/Votto back to back makes no sense in a lineup that has no other lefty bats. The Reds have such a lineup. It just makes it very easy for opposing managers to match up.

However hitting them together would be a possibility if you platoon Bruce and hit for him against lefties. Then it might make sense to hit them together and just pinch hit for Bruce if a lefty reliever comes in.

Given how Bruce is hitting against lefties, a platoon situation would make sense for now.

Nasty_Boy
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
So you're going to make a lineup based on a situation that may or may not happen during the 7th inning of the game?

KronoRed
08-06-2010, 04:47 PM
So you're going to make a lineup based on a situation that may or may not happen during the 7th inning of the game?

Previously Reds managers have, Dusty certainly would as well, it's old school.

Ghosts of 1990
08-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Is it possible to change your screen name or handle in the forums? I'm being serious

membengal
08-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Is he good again?

And still 23?

Tommyjohn25
08-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Is he good again?

And still 23?

How fun was that to watch?? Freakin' awesome!

membengal
08-27-2010, 10:18 PM
How fun was that to watch?? Freakin' awesome!

Three bombs, each one off a lefty?

Can't get enough of it.

The Voice of IH
08-27-2010, 10:20 PM
can you imagine if he does this everyday ;)

Brutus
08-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I think tonight is the reason why these threads exist... he shows such enormous talent, it can be frustrating seeing his extreme inconsistency. He has games like tonight where he just clobbers anyone in his path. Then he'll go two weeks with nary a wimper.

I think the "he's 23" aspect is very, very fair considering he's not remotely in his prime. I also think the frustration is fair. But boy if he ever puts it together... lord help the rest of the league!

REDblooded
08-27-2010, 10:21 PM
I think tonight is the reason why these threads exist... he shows such enormous talent, it can be frustrating seeing his extreme inconsistency. He has games like tonight where he just clobbers anyone in his path. Then he'll go two weeks with nary a wimper.

I think the "he's 23" aspect is very, very fair considering he's not remotely in his prime. I also think the frustration is fair. But boy if he ever puts it together... lord help the rest of the league!

A line-up featuring Bruce at 2/3's of his potential, and Votto maximizing his would be enough to beat just about every team in baseball...

Homer Bailey
08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm starting to think that we should have given Bruce a little more rope to recover from his wrist injury. Once he hit that one year mark, he's been goin nuts.

Brutus
08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
A line-up featuring Bruce at 2/3's of his potential, and Votto maximizing his would be enough to beat just about every team in baseball...

That would be a lot of fun. And add in the upside of Drew Stubbs and who knows what some of these prospects could turn into... that's a fun lineup. I wish they could get Alonso's bat (or more appropriately his glove) in left.

RedsManRick
08-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Up to .270/.339/.452, .790 OPS as of the middle of the 8th.

FWIW, only 2 players in the majors this year age 23 or younger have an OPS of .800+ and are qualified for the batting title -- Rasmus and Heyward.

In 2009, 4: Butler, Longoria, Sandoval, Upton
In 2008, 1: Longoria
In 2007, 6: Pedroia, HanRam, Tulowitzki, B.J. Upton, Markakis
In 2006, 9: Cano, Fielder, Mauer, HamRam, Reyes, Sizemore, Wright, Zimmerman, Cabrera

A recent study by BP showed that the 2005 class was among the best rookie classes of all time, so that 2006 group is a bit unusual. These guys don't grow on trees and this doesn't happen as a fluke. Every single player listed there is an above average player.

I know .800 OPS doesn't seem like much, but when you're this young, it's a very good sign.

HeatherC1212
08-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Nights like this are why I didn't drop Jay from my fantasy team during any of his struggles this year. Awesome! :p:

Mario-Rijo
08-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Nights like this are why I didn't drop Jay from my fantasy team during any of his struggles this year. Awesome! :p:

Good for you Heather way to support your guys. Is Votto on that team by any chance...maybe Brian Roberts also?

Mario-Rijo
08-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm starting to think that we should have given Bruce a little more rope to recover from his wrist injury. Once he hit that one year mark, he's been goin nuts.

That and the fact he is stayin' back more and more consistently.

westofyou
08-27-2010, 10:52 PM

"we" been giving him lots of rope.:p:

HeatherC1212
08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Good for you Heather way to support your guys. Is Votto on that team by any chance...maybe Brian Roberts also?

Jay, Joey, Brandon, and the Reds pitching staff are all part of my fantasy team and all of them have been pretty solid. Jay's been streaky but he's had enough good moments that I never thought of dropping him. I had Brian on there at the start of the season but he missed so much time with his back injury that I had to drop him. :( I couldn't pick him up when I knew he was coming back either because some other guy got him and stashed him away. If Brandon wasn't doing so well I'd be more annoyed by it but I'm tolerating not having Brian on my team all right....well, for the most part, LOL ;)

Back to the Jay gushing.....three HRs in one night! WOOT! :D

jojo
08-27-2010, 11:00 PM

Seriously.

Homer Bailey
08-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Very true :beerme:

REDblooded
08-27-2010, 11:03 PM

And then there are those that went to site admin to have their screen name changed due to falling out of love...

I have a feeling Mr JayBruce32 will one day feel like the guy who dumps the good girl hot-chick in hopes that he can land a naughty girl hot-chick only to discover that the one he left develops into the most desirable girl in the history of the universe...

jojo
08-27-2010, 11:07 PM
I think sometimes fans get very greedy.

wheels
08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
And then there are those that went to site admin to have their screen name changed due to falling out of love...

I have a feeling Mr JayBruce32 will one day feel like the guy who dumps the good girl hot-chick in hopes that he can land a naughty girl hot-chick only to discover that the one he left develops into the most desirable girl in the history of the universe...

Jay Bruce is that guy's "Great White Buffalo".

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2010, 11:52 PM
I still think as highly of Jay Bruce as I did the day he was called up - he's a future superstar, IMO. A .790 OPS makes him an above average hitter, now factor in his Gold Glove defense and he becomes a valuable player. Jay Bruce entered tonight with a 2.6 WAR. He's on pace to be a 3+ win player during his age 23 season. I'll take that.

reds44
08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Anybody see his postgame interview? They showed it on Sportscenter, the kids got a great head and his shoulders and he's got all the talent in the world. There's no reason to believe he won't be a really good/great player. There's nothing on the baseball field that he can't do.

Not only were all three of his homers off lefties, they were all ropes too.

redsfandan
08-28-2010, 12:26 AM

Makes me wonder if there's a rule about how many times you can change your screenname. :p:

Ron Madden
08-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Jay Bruce is a Ballplayer, It would be wise to give him as many plate appearances as possible.

fearofpopvol1
08-28-2010, 04:24 AM
Now is the time to lock him up while he is still cheap

nate
08-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Good one!

RFS62
08-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Yeah, no kidding.

ProzacZone, however......

:cool:

BCubb2003
08-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Now is the time to lock him up while he is still cheap

Thursday was the time. Today is too late.

jojo
08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Thursday was the time. Today is too late.

The Reds should probably demote him to Louisville and not promote him again until he kicks down the door...

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Jay Bruce by month:

April - .263/.333/.500 - .833 OPS
May - .270/.387/.440 - .827 OPS
June - .307/.339/.485 - .824 OPS
July - .200/.245/.263 - .508 OPS
August - .319/.392/.623 - 1.015 OPS

Bruce has been a very productive player in four of five months this season. Unfortunately, his July was so awful that he brings his overall numbers down. After last night, Jay Bruce has been a 3 win player so far this season. That's pretty impressive to do that at age 23.

VR
08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Jay Bruce by month:

April - .263/.333/.500 - .833 OPS
May - .270/.387/.440 - .827 OPS
June - .307/.339/.485 - .824 OPS
July - .200/.245/.263 - .508 OPS
August - .319/.392/.623 - 1.015 OPS

Bruce has been a very productive player in four of five months this season. Unfortunately, his July was so awful that he brings his overall numbers down. After last night, Jay Bruce has been a 3 win player so far this season. That's pretty impressive to do that at age 23.

He's a very special talent out in right field as well. He does so many things that will never show up in any of the current defensive metrics.....but to think what it used to be like w/ Griffey out there, we have a privelege watching this guy play the outfield.

jojo
08-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Jay Bruce is a national treasure. It needed to be said.

Raisor
08-28-2010, 05:06 PM

He's Abe Lincoln and George Washington rolled into one.

westofyou
08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
He's Abe Lincoln and George Washington rolled into one.

He's the omnipotent leader of everything that ever existed in the solar system and extracts of his dna are being used now to solve all the riddles of science.

Raisor
08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
He's the omnipotent leader of everything that ever existed in the solar system and extracts of his dna are being used now to solve all the riddles of science.

That was an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation. Commander William T Riker, played by Jay Bruce, before he was born.

Homer Bailey
08-28-2010, 05:54 PM

That was #10,000. Congrats!

jojo
08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
That was #10,000. Congrats!

If I had a dime for every time I posted something at redszone, i'd be rich by 17th century standards... Speaking of the 17th century, Jay Bruce beat the Mayflower to America and he actually meant to land at Plymouth (though he wasn't a fan of the indians and used cardinals and baby bears for target practice) ...

Brutus
08-28-2010, 06:18 PM
If I had a dime for every time I posted something at redszone, i'd be rich by 17th century standards... Speaking of the 17th century, Jay Bruce beat the Mayflower to America and he actually meant to land at Plymouth (though he wasn't a fan of the indians and used cardinals and baby bears for target practice) ...

Jay speaks fluent French... in Russian.

Even his enemies list him as their emergency contact.

His reputation is expanding faster than the universe.

He even had an awkward moment once just to see how it feels.

He is... the most interesting man in the world.

Playadlc
08-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Jay speaks fluent French... in Russian.

Even his enemies list him as their emergency contact.

His reputation is expanding faster than the universe.

He even had an awkward moment once just to see how it feels.

He is... the most interesting man in the world.

Jay's charm is so contagious, vaccines have been created for it.

Screwball
08-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Jay's actually right-handed, but bats and throws lefty out of good sportsmanship.

BCubb2003
08-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Chuck Norris posts facts about Jay Bruce.

Raisor
08-28-2010, 07:30 PM
The only person cooler then Jay Bruce is Cyclops, Leader of the X-Men, and he's a fictional character.

REDblooded
08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
On a serious note... WHAT A NIGHT!?!?!??!?! Seriously? 3 HR's all off of lhp's? Just unreal. And not one "maybe it'll get out" shot amongst them... This kid is about to do VERY special things... I just hope the Reds recognize it, and lock him up ALA Evan Longoria before the price is wrong bob.

jojo
08-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Barry White models his voice after Jay Bruce's swing....

YouTube - Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love Baby. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw&a=GxdCwVVULXdaAoNgKc78vfduRaArBHfq&playnext=1)

Degenerate39
08-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Jay Bruce went to the Virgin Islands and after he left they just called them the Islands

_Sir_Charles_
08-28-2010, 08:32 PM
The "next big thing" shows us again why he should get the RF gold glove this year.

REDblooded
08-28-2010, 08:39 PM
The "next big thing" shows us again why he should get the RF gold glove this year.

Isn't there just 3 OF gold gloves and not a RF/CF/LF?

Ron Madden
08-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Yes. I believe three CFers won Gold Gloves last season.

REDblooded
08-28-2010, 08:47 PM
2009 AL: Hunter/Ad Jones/Suzuki (how did Guttierez get shut out?)
2009 NL: Bourn/Kemp/Victorino

RFS62
08-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Jay Bruce doesn't sleep. He waits.

Jay Bruce CAN believe it's not butter.

And I'm pretty sure he's only 23 years old.

WVRedsFan
08-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Didn't we do this with Denorfia. You know what happened next. I'm not superstitious, but...

Big Klu
08-28-2010, 11:08 PM
If I had a dime for every time I posted something at redszone, i'd be rich by 17th century standards...

You would be a thousandaire!

BCubb2003
08-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Didn't we do this with Denorfia. You know what happened next. I'm not superstitious, but...

Jay Bruce is the Jim Coombs that Chris Denorfia could never be.

But you're right. This is going to get old fast.

Patrick Bateman
08-28-2010, 11:19 PM

Denorfia I think was like 39 years old when he was pimped.

Bruce is still a kid.

11larkin11
08-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Jay Bruce is the Jim Coombs that Chris Denorfia could never be.

But you're right. This is going to get old fast.

That how this thread goes...

"Is he officially a superstar yet?"

2 weeks later

"I think he could use some seasoning in the minors."

2 weeks later

"IIRC, isn't Jay Bruce's middle name God?"

2 weeks later

"How much longer do we have to pretend that Jay Bruce will pan out? Him and Stubbs to the minors!"

2 weeks later

"Chuck Norris fears Jay Bruce."

Just wait til he has a hitless game.

jojo
08-29-2010, 02:19 AM

If he ever does have a hitless game, it'll be just because he wanted to see how it feels...

Ron Madden
08-29-2010, 03:15 AM
That how this thread goes...

"Is he officially a superstar yet?"

2 weeks later

"I think he could use some seasoning in the minors."

2 weeks later

"IIRC, isn't Jay Bruce's middle name God?"

2 weeks later

"How much longer do we have to pretend that Jay Bruce will pan out? Him and Stubbs to the minors!"

2 weeks later

"Chuck Norris fears Jay Bruce."

That's not true.

Most of us who have been supporting Bruce have been consistent in this thread. There are very few folks in this thread who have acted anything like you suggest in your post.

GAC
08-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I don't think 11larkin11 was simply referring to this thread alone, but an attitude that has pervaded this forum for quite some time... one day we're on the band wagon, and the next day it's "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" LOL

bi-polarism

BuckeyeRedleg
08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't think 11larkin11 was simply referring to this thread alone, but an attitude that has pervaded this forum for quite some time... one day we're on the band wagon, and the next day it's "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" LOL

bi-polarism

Maybe it's two seperate groups of posters. One group saying "off with his head" and the other riding on Bruce's bandwagon. And maybe the "off with his head" posters don't post as much when he's doing well, and the bandwagon riders don't post as much when he's not doing well.

I don't see any specific posters doing 180's.

Chip R
08-29-2010, 09:55 AM
That's not true.

Most of us who have been supporting Bruce have been consistent in this thread. There are very few folks in this thread who have acted anything like you suggest in your post.

Actually, it is true. Maybe not everyone has been so schizophrenic with their opinions but many have.

membengal
08-29-2010, 10:04 AM
This kind of non-specific discussion about the discussion is seldom fruitful without naming names. Frankly, blaming the Redszone monolith as if this board speaks with one voice is generally unhelpful.

If the charge being levied by GAC is specific to some posters, I think GAC should go ahead and highlight those posts and have that specific discussion. At least then we don't have to debate what "Redszone" does as if this board speaks of one mind.

nate
08-29-2010, 11:03 AM
This kind of non-specific discussion about the discussion is seldom fruitful without naming names. Frankly, blaming the Redszone monolith as if this board speaks with one voice is generally unhelpful.

If the charge being levied by GAC is specific to some posters, I think GAC should go ahead and highlight those posts and have that specific discussion. At least then we don't have to debate what "Redszone" does as if this board speaks of one mind.

We are not Borg.

BCubb2003
08-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry for messing up a fun thread. I just know that when Jay Bruce slumps again, the funny lines will seem like mockery.

In former Soviet Russia, Jay Bruce idolizes you!

mth123
08-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll step up. I'm one of Jay Bruce' biggest supporters. I think that one year he'll put up a season better than the one Votto is putting up now. But when he was completely useless around the All Star break, I thought a couple weeks in AAA to get his stroke down while the Reds took a look at a hot hitting Heisey was a good idea. If we went back in time and it played out the same way, I'd say the same thing.

I don't see that as being Schizophrenic at all. Had they done that, maybe the hot streak would have come along sooner and Heisey would have produced and this thing would be all over with by now. We'll never know.

jojo
08-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I'll step up. I'm one of Jay Bruce' biggest supporters. I think that one year he'll put up a season better than the one Votto is putting up now. But when he was completely useless around the All Star break, I thought a couple weeks in AAA to get his stroke down while the Reds took a look at a hot hitting Heisey was a good idea. If we went back in time and it played out the same way, I'd say the same thing.

I don't see that as being Schizophrenic at all. Had they done that, maybe the hot streak would have come along sooner and Heisey would have produced and this thing would be all over with by now. We'll never know.

Jayzilla is alive and well... and mlb is planning nuclear testing near his underwater stomping grounds....

GAC
08-29-2010, 01:22 PM
If the charge being levied by GAC is specific to some posters, I think GAC should go ahead and highlight those posts and have that specific discussion.

One doesn't need to specify, or call-out, certain posters when all one was doing was express their opinion about a general "atmosphere" that pervades this forum AT TIMES when it comes to certain topics and players.

Besides - I don't want have the time. I plan on retiring before age 65. :D

membengal
08-29-2010, 02:13 PM
One doesn't need to specify, or call-out, certain posters when all one was doing was express their opinion about a general "atmosphere" that pervades this forum AT TIMES when it comes to certain topics and players.

Besides - I don't want have the time. I plan on retiring before age 65. :D

Yeah, but c'mon, GAC, without being specific, it is kind of a formless observation. This is a 44-page thread spanning four months and largely dealing with one poster's particularly unreasonable expectations. I guess I don't see, unless you are specific, how what you said has happened in this thread.

redsfandan
08-29-2010, 02:32 PM
On a serious note... WHAT A NIGHT!?!?!??!?! Seriously? 3 HR's all off of lhp's? Just unreal. And not one "maybe it'll get out" shot amongst them... This kid is about to do VERY special things... I just hope the Reds recognize it, and lock him up ALA Evan Longoria before the price is wrong bob.
I wish.

2009 AL: Hunter/Ad Jones/Suzuki (how did Guttierez get shut out?)
2009 NL: Bourn/Kemp/Victorino
Not enough offense. lol

Scrap Irony
08-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Bruce absolutely deserves a Gold Glove for his play this year.

Ghosts of 1990
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
With his home run today, and 4 home run series against the Cubs, he becomes the first Reds player to hit four in a series since Adam Dunn.

edabbs44
08-29-2010, 07:59 PM
With his home run today, and 4 home run series against the Cubs, he becomes the first Reds player to hit four in a series since Adam Dunn.

I know many want him stricken from the record, but Gomes did it last year.

_Sir_Charles_
08-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Yeah, I know. Its frustrating that they give it to CF'ers all the time. But is there a RF'er more worthy than Jay right now? If there is, I sure haven't seen him.

Ghosts of 1990
08-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I know. Its frustrating that they give it to CF'ers all the time. But is there a RF'er more worthy than Jay right now? If there is, I sure haven't seen him.

Fwiw, Fay thinks JB has an outside shot to win it.

GAC
08-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Yeah, but c'mon, GAC, without being specific, it is kind of a formless observation. This is a 44-page thread spanning four months and largely dealing with one poster's particularly unreasonable expectations. I guess I don't see, unless you are specific, how what you said has happened in this thread.

You want me to QUANTIFY it for you? :mooner:

jojo
08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
You want me to QUANTIFY it for you? :mooner:

This really is just a minor point.

Frankly even this thread misses the more important question which is, "Should Bruce take time away from Cabrera?".

TheNext44
08-30-2010, 11:52 PM
After tonight's game, I was wondering if it was possible to change my username. Does anyone known if JayBruce32 is taken? :cool:

REDblooded
08-30-2010, 11:55 PM
After tonight's game, I was wondering if it was possible to change my username. Does anyone known if JayBruce32 is taken? :cool:

Just took a quick look, and it appears to be available... Could have sworn it was taken, but it looks like somebody wrote it off as failed... Reminiscent of the English approach vs. the American colonials.

reds44
08-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Mmmmmmm Bruce.

Homer Bailey
08-31-2010, 12:04 AM
He's such a disappointment.

cincrazy
08-31-2010, 12:20 AM
As an unbiased observer, I think you guys are going a little too far with your poking and prodding. Can't we just enjoy Bruce's breakout without taking the time to rip into another poster at every available opportunity?

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 12:21 AM
.807 OPS + Gold Glove defense. I'll take it. He's been very good in four of five months. Unfortunately, his July was so bad it brought his overall numbers down quite a bit.

Tommyjohn25
08-31-2010, 12:25 AM
As an unbiased observer, I think you guys are going a little too far with your poking and prodding. Can't we just enjoy Bruce's breakout without taking the time to rip into another poster at every available opportunity?

Agreed. Let up guys.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
No mind here. I'm happy to have him playing well and such; I'll happily take the ribbing I probably deserve.

Bruce is riding the wave right now. Very neat that he's playing his best baseball right now. It's really helping the Reds pull away. Loving it.

WVPacman
08-31-2010, 12:40 AM
I think Jim Edmonds is a huge reason why Bruce has started hitting again.The announcers said about two weeks or so ago that Edmonds worked with him and how to approch every single atbat.I don't know what Edmonds done but I think he is a huge reason why Bruce is hitting the ball like he is.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 04:05 AM
Here's the radio and TV call of Bruce's walk-off hit.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11557657

nemesis
08-31-2010, 04:13 AM
I think Jim Edmonds is a huge reason why Bruce has started hitting again.The announcers said about two weeks or so ago that Edmonds worked with him and how to approch every single atbat.I don't know what Edmonds done but I think he is a huge reason why Bruce is hitting the ball like he is.

This.

If for no other reason this made the Edmonds trade worth every penny.

Sometimes there is more benefit to a trade than production alone.

Ron Madden
08-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Just took a quick look, and it appears to be available... Could have sworn it was taken, but it looks like somebody wrote it off as failed... Reminiscent of the English approach vs. the American colonials.

Oh no! We shouldn't call anyone out.

It's more polite to just read the last page of every thread, shake our butts and place the blame on RedsZone as a Whole. ;)

Captain Hook
08-31-2010, 04:45 AM
I want to change my signature to jaybruce32.Is that taken?

redsfandan
08-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Lol. Ya know, I was tempted to say something but ...

good point. Maybe we can rip into the Cards instead! :)

medford
08-31-2010, 09:28 AM

I caught some highlights during vacation 2 weeks back, before Edmunds got hurt. In the package, they showed how Edmunds hit a home run, then in the dugout, was pointing out something about the pitcher and the location to Bruce. Jay hit a home run his next at bat (I think, it was the next highlight, I assume Edmunds hit 2nd, Bruce 6th that game) They showed a similar thing later in the game, followed by another Bruce hit.

I wonder if they've considered bringing Edmunds back as a bench bat next year as the wily veteran off the bench. I assume Cairo will get replaced by Valiakia or Frasier next year and it seems like Walt/Dusty always like to have a vet on the bench that can pinch hit.

bucksfan2
08-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Im glad to see Jay get hot and start to hit with some power like many of us expected him to do. His at bats look better than any time in the past and he isn't just waiving at pitches. I hope he continues this hot streak into the last weeks of the season. Having Bruce get hot could propel this team into Oct.

redsfandan
08-31-2010, 09:37 AM
I caught some highlights during vacation 2 weeks back, before Edmunds got hurt. In the package, they showed how Edmunds hit a home run, then in the dugout, was pointing out something about the pitcher and the location to Bruce. Jay hit a home run his next at bat (I think, it was the next highlight, I assume Edmunds hit 2nd, Bruce 6th that game) They showed a similar thing later in the game, followed by another Bruce hit.

I wonder if they've considered bringing Edmunds back as a bench bat next year as the wily veteran off the bench. I assume Cairo will get replaced by Valiakia or Frasier next year and it seems like Walt/Dusty always like to have a vet on the bench that can pinch hit.
Edmonds might be planning on retiring after the season.

The Voice of IH
08-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Time out, can we really point to Edmonds as Bruce's saving grace, I am not buying it

medford
08-31-2010, 09:46 AM
A month+ ago, shortly after Jay hit his 10th homerun, someone questioned if Joey could get to 40, and if rolen would get to 30 dingers. I made the statement then that it wouldn't surprise me to see Jay continue his strong pace (at that recent point) and get to 30 dingers by seasons end. A month+ later and I'm still waiting for #11.

Dickerson is due off his rehab assignement, I believe they said he had a death in the family (don't know how close) and may be heading back to Cali for a few days, but after that I assume he's coming up and Stubbs is going back down (perhaps the death was expected a bit and the reason why Dickerson has remained in Louisville for his full rehab assignement). When Dickerson gets back, lets assume for the Cards series, I wonder if Gomes, Dickerson & Heisey will start to be the regular outfield until a change is needed.

Well perhaps that 30 homerun isn't quite as much of a longshot at it looked a few weeks ago. Sure would be nice to see Jay continue this hot streak thru October.

bucksfan2
08-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Time out, can we really point to Edmonds as Bruce's saving grace, I am not buying it

I think Edmonds has been helping Bruce on his swing ever since he got here. It makes sense because they are both similar type left handed hitters. Edmonds may have said something to Bruce that clicked and helped him out. It may be nothing, but there also may be something there.

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2010, 09:56 AM
I posted this in the game thread, but it probably fits better here. I thought Larkin's comments were important in regards to Jay's turnaround.

I'm not sure who was watching MLB Network, but right after the game, they switched crews to add Lark & Casey and they were both gushing over the Redlegs. But Barry said something about Bruce that I found interesting. He said he was talking to Jay and that Jay mentioned that the Reds were considering using him in a platoon in right (when he was struggling in the second half). Lark told him to step it up. Boy has he ever. Jay turns it on when he's risking losing his job. Stubbs does the same. It's kinda nice to light a fire under these kids and see them respond they way they have (of course it would be nice if we didn't have to light the fire to begin with...but they ARE kids after all).

medford
08-31-2010, 09:57 AM

maybe? Its not that far fetched that Edmonds said a thing or two to Jay that just clicked, perhaps the same things Dusty and Jacoby have said all year, but Jim said it in a way, or showed in the cage what he meant and it clicked in with Jay.

Or maybe not, I'll have to go on is the highlights I saw of Edmonds & Jay in 1 game. Since that time, Jay has been on fire, even driving the ball the other way a little more. Perhaps Jay was just due to come out of his slump. No matter the reason, this team needs Jay on top of swing come playoff time. The more threats they have in the lineup, the more chances they'll get to knock off an oppossing ace and advance to the next round.

I(heart)Freel
08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Since that time, Jay has been on fire, even driving the ball the other way a little more.

This. A million times... this!

The homer that led off the game last night AND the single to win the game were both the opposite way.

That, more than anything else, will be what ultimately vaults Bruce into the next strata as a hitter. What a great time for him to discover that!

And who knows... Edmonds could have pointed that out?

lollipopcurve
08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
The much-needed, awaited breakthrough appears to be at hand.

Bruce using the whole field, sometimes with power? Check.

Bruce hitting lefties? Check.

Baker moving Bruce to leadoff against those lefties strikes me as a stroke of genius. Not saying that is the sole cause of Bruce's breakthrough, but I do think it had a catalyzing effect.

I feel much better about Bruce now. Much.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Baker moving Bruce to leadoff against those lefties strikes me as a stroke of genius. Not saying that is the sole cause of Bruce's breakthrough, but I do think it had a catalyzing effect.

He's getting fastballs to hit. They're not wanting to pitch around him. Having guys like Rolen, Votto, etc. behind you rather than Janish, Hanigan, Stubbs, and Hernandez is a world of difference. Many of us have been begging Dusty to hit Bruce in the 2 spot all year because of this principle.

Hopefully when Phillips comes back, Baker does Bruce/Phillips 1 and 2 in some order.

Chip R
08-31-2010, 10:25 AM

Very happy to see Jay on a hot streak. He's a great kid and an A+ defender in RF. But, before I start putting him into the HOF, I'd like to see him do it on a consistant basis. I certainly don't expect him to put up numbers for the whole season that he's put up over the last 4 days but it would be great if he were more consistant over the course of the season. What's going to happen when Jim Edmonds isn't around next year?

lollipopcurve
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
But, before I start putting him into the HOF, I'd like to see him do it on a consistant basis. I certainly don't expect him to put up numbers for the whole season that he's put up over the last 4 days but it would be great if he were more consistant over the course of the season.

Of course. Consistency is the goal and the bugaboo of most young players. The areas where Bruce is showing growth now -- using the whole field and hitting lefties -- have been major deficiencies for him. In my opinion, this may be more than a hot streak. It may signal a breakthrough that, over time, will allow his overall production to bump up a level.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
In case you were wondering (because I did) his splits vs. LHP & RHP:

Versus LHP (145 at bats)
9 HR, .262/.337/.497/.834 17 BB 39K

Versus RHP (312 at bats)
9 HR, .279/.346/.449/.794 33 BB 80 K

lollipopcurve
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
In case you were wondering (because I did) his splits vs. LHP & RHP:

Versus LHP (145 at bats)
9 HR, .262/.337/.497/.834 17 BB 39K

Versus RHP (312 at bats)
9 HR, .279/.346/.449/.794 33 BB 80 K

Go back to before the Cubs series, and the #s vs. lefties look a lot worse.

dougdirt
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Go back to before the Cubs series, and the #s vs. lefties look a lot worse.

Sure, but at the end of the day it all counts and it seems that this season is the one where Jay Bruce is starting to hit lefties like he did in the minors.

Scrap Irony
08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
He's getting fastballs to hit. They're not wanting to pitch around him. Having guys like Rolen, Votto, etc. behind you rather than Janish, Hanigan, Stubbs, and Hernandez is a world of difference. Many of us have been begging Dusty to hit Bruce in the 2 spot all year because of this principle.

Hopefully when Phillips comes back, Baker does Bruce/Phillips 1 and 2 in some order.

You'd think that, but it's not been the case since he's been moved up.

Bruce has seen almost as many breaking balls as he has fastballs. Part of that is the pitchers he's been hitting against. Part of it is his reputation as a fastball hitter.

One reasons he's been hot is that he's hitting the breaking pitches.

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Bruce scratched from today's game due to a pain in his side. Precautionary apparently. If anybody gets an update on this...please...update us.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Bruce scratched from today's game due to a pain in his side. Precautionary apparently. If anybody gets an update on this...please...update us.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/22658550257

RT @DiamondHoggers: @johnfayman is Bruce in the dugout or not at the park?//In dugout. Looks fine.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
My first thought was appendicitis. But people are usually pretty sick with that, and he'd be headed to the hospital. That would be worst case scenario. I guess if I'm a reporter, I ask "where at in the right side" and dig a little deeper, do a little discovery so I can do a better job of reporting. After all, it's interesting because guys don't typically get scratched minutes before game time with "right sided pain".

*I just saw Bruce in the dugout in uniform but with tennis shoes on, FWIW.

Big Klu
08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Lower right side could be appendicitis.

Higher up, near the ribcage, could be a gall bladder problem.

Of course, I'm not a doctor. But I do play one on TV.

http://open.salon.com/blog/rahul_k_parikh/2008/07/28/files/robertyoungmarcuswelby1216943428.jpg

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Could be a strained oblique, which would be very bad. Could be gas.... who knows.

westofyou
08-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Could be a strained oblique, which would be very bad. Could be gas.... who knows.

Dehydration causes wicked cramps in ones side.

Raisor
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
killer bees

Mario-Rijo
08-31-2010, 10:39 PM

Perhaps a post game walk off drubbing even....:confused:

Homer Bailey
09-01-2010, 12:29 AM
ctrent

#Reds Bruce said he felt something in BP and was just being cautious. Said he's fine. Also, Cairo said he expects to play tomorrow

C trent is killin it tonight.

marcshoe
09-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Probably kidney stones. 'course with me, every pain turns out to be kidney stones, so I'm not likely the best source.

jojo
09-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Kryptonite?

RFS62
09-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Kryptonite?

He sprinkles that on his corn flakes.

chicoruiz
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm guessing it's not considered to be too serious, or we'd have seen Balentien up here instead of Alonso.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 04:06 PM
He's out again tonight.

Hoosier Red
09-01-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm guessing it's not considered to be too serious, or we'd have seen Balentien up here instead of Alonso.

They'd have to clear a spot on the 40 to bring up Balentien, but you're right they'd probably have had him take Springer's spot instead of Corky if they needed an OF right away.

nemesis
09-01-2010, 04:20 PM
He sprinkles that on his corn flakes.

LMAO. Greatest. Line. EVER.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
They'd have to clear a spot on the 40 to bring up Balentien, but you're right they'd probably have had him take Springer's spot instead of Corky if they needed an OF right away.

Concerning that Bruce is out again though. He'll probably end up on the DL like Nix; after leaving us shorthanded for a few games.

The Operator
09-01-2010, 04:38 PM
He'll probably end up on the DL like Nix; after leaving us shorthanded for a few games.I doubt it, but you never know.

The Reds have been cautious this year about bringing guys back too soon. Thus far, it's paid dividends.

bucksfan2
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
My first thought was appendicitis. But people are usually pretty sick with that, and he'd be headed to the hospital. That would be worst case scenario. I guess if I'm a reporter, I ask "where at in the right side" and dig a little deeper, do a little discovery so I can do a better job of reporting. After all, it's interesting because guys don't typically get scratched minutes before game time with "right sided pain".

*I just saw Bruce in the dugout in uniform but with tennis shoes on, FWIW.

Guy misses a day or two and now he has appendicitis? Really? Good lord the rampant speculation on the worst case scenario has gone overboard here on RZ. Over the course of a 162 game schedule players will be sore and dinged up. Nothing else, just the wear and tear of a long season. No reason to speculate that it is anything worse than that.

membengal
09-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Concerning that Bruce is out again though. He'll probably end up on the DL like Nix; after leaving us shorthanded for a few games.

Please stop.

membengal
09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Guy misses a day or two and now he has appendicitis? Really? Good lord the rampant speculation on the worst case scenario has gone overboard here on RZ. Over the course of a 162 game schedule players will be sore and dinged up. Nothing else, just the wear and tear of a long season. No reason to speculate that it is anything worse than that.

The appendix stuff was courtesy of Marty Brennamen last night during the radio call. Hopefully, that was Marty talknig out of his rear end, but that's where it has bubbled up.

BoydsOfSummer
09-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Probably fatigue from torquing balls into the stands.

bucksfan2
09-01-2010, 04:56 PM
The appendix stuff was courtesy of Marty Brennamen last night during the radio call. Hopefully, that was Marty talknig out of his rear end, but that's where it has bubbled up.

I am not a doctor nor to I pretend to be one. But I have always been under the assumption that a appendicitis and a ruptured appendix (confirmed by wikipedia) is very serious and potentially fatally. If Bruce had a problem with his appendix he wouldn't be at the stadium.

But that really isn't my point. My point is Bruce being held out of the game because of a pain in the side is just that. No need to speculate beyond that. At the same time isn't about time that we start giving this current (I say current) organization the benefit of the doubt? Earlier this season Votto had a tweak in his neck. There was speculation that it was anxiety issues coming back. Depression coming back. There is no way that a tweak in the neck can keep you out for more than a game or two. Heck people were calling him soft. What was wrong with Votto? A tweaked neck. This season there was alot of anguish about Rolen not being placed on the DL with a hammy issue. What were the Reds doing playing short handed? As Dusty and Walt mentioned if Rolen hadn't been able to play the game he was back he was going to be placed on the DL. Not placing Rolen on the DL brought him back 5 games earlier.

This isn't like the previous regime where a player who was boarder line DL was used to pinch hit. This new regime knows what they are doing. No need to speculate, for the worse, beyond what they tell you.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
I am not a doctor nor to I pretend to be one. But I have always been under the assumption that a appendicitis and a ruptured appendix (confirmed by wikipedia) is very serious and potentially fatally. If Bruce had a problem with his appendix he wouldn't be at the stadium.

But that really isn't my point. My point is Bruce being held out of the game because of a pain in the side is just that. No need to speculate beyond that. At the same time isn't about time that we start giving this current (I say current) organization the benefit of the doubt? Earlier this season Votto had a tweak in his neck. There was speculation that it was anxiety issues coming back. Depression coming back. There is no way that a tweak in the neck can keep you out for more than a game or two. Heck people were calling him soft. What was wrong with Votto? A tweaked neck. This season there was alot of anguish about Rolen not being placed on the DL with a hammy issue. What were the Reds doing playing short handed? As Dusty and Walt mentioned if Rolen hadn't been able to play the game he was back he was going to be placed on the DL. Not placing Rolen on the DL brought him back 5 games earlier.

This isn't like the previous regime where a player who was boarder line DL was used to pinch hit. This new regime knows what they are doing. No need to speculate, for the worse, beyond what they tell you.

I agree with you, I just find it frustrating that he looks like a Major Leaguer for a week and then after the game-winning hit; suddenly has a phantom pain that everyone is real vague no. Kind of feels like "of course he does, now what" type of deal. Just hope that he avoids a DL stint and is ready for the cardinals.

batsfan
09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
From John Fay's twitter:

Bruce is out at least a few days. He said it's near his ribs. Wasn't sure if it's an oblique. getting treat, no baseball activity. #reds

nate
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I wonder if he's getting a lollipop or ice cream "treat."

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Bruce is out at least a few days. He said it's near his ribs. Wasn't sure if it's an oblique. getting treat, no baseball activity. #reds

... of course he is. As I feared, sounds like a DL stint.

membengal
09-01-2010, 05:07 PM

That's a fine lecture. Perhaps you should send it to Marty Brennamen. I was simply letting you know where the appendix stuff came from.

bucksfan2
09-01-2010, 05:10 PM

... of course he is. As I feared, sounds like a DL stint.

Where does a few days mean 15?

No need to DL Bruce when the rosters have been expanded anyways.

Cedric
09-01-2010, 05:12 PM
That's a fine lecture. Perhaps you should send it to Marty Brennamen. I was simply letting you know where the appendix stuff came from.

In all honesty I don't see why people care that message board posters have worries.

Who cares if someone thinks Jay Bruce is on his deathbed or not?

jojo
09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Can arsenic be ruled out? A big series is coming up.... Also has he traveled in Africa or the jungles of South America within the last 12 months.... Could be a parasite.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
That sucks. Hopefully it heals quickly, it would be nice to have him back in the lineup by Saturday.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Where does a few days mean 15?

No need to DL Bruce when the rosters have been expanded anyways.

oblique stuff lingers anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks to 2 to 4 months.

Just when he was putting it all together. In light of all the funnies and inside pokes, if we're realistic it's at the very least; frustrating. Fair to call a spade a spade I think. It's always something with this kid.

RichRed
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Could be a parasite.

Leave Tony LaRussa alone.

Jpup
09-01-2010, 05:25 PM
It's always something with this kid.

:confused:

Raisor
09-01-2010, 05:26 PM

for crying out loud.

Cedric
09-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Just when he was putting it all together. In light of all the funnies and inside pokes, if we're realistic it's at the very least; frustrating. Fair to call a spade a spade I think. It's always something with this kid.

I'm beginning to think this is a shtick.

jojo
09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm beginning to think this is a shtick.

"Ghosts of FCB".... :eek:

The Operator
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Are you really implying he could have somehow prevented this?

Brutus
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Your concerns: fair.

But it's fitting you ditched your screen name because now you're sounding a bit too much like a jilted ex-lover.

traderumor
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree with you, I just find it frustrating that he looks like a Major Leaguer for a week and then after the game-winning hit; suddenly has a phantom pain that everyone is real vague no. Kind of feels like "of course he does, now what" type of deal. Just hope that he avoids a DL stint and is ready for the cardinals.Maybe he won't look like a major leaguer against the Cards, so the injury will actually be a good thing, if I were to put any stock in your comments.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Just hope he doesn't end up on the DL, lets leave it at that. Go Reds

Big Klu
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
There's no point to putting a player on the 15-day DL after September 1, because the player that you would call up to take his place has to be on the 40-man roster, which means you can call that replacement up anyway.

After September 1, the only options are to sit an injured player, or put him on the 60-day DL (to open a spot on the 40-man roster).

nate
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Can arsenic be ruled out? A big series is coming up.... Also has he traveled in Africa or the jungles of South America within the last 12 months.... Could be a parasite.

Call this guy:

http://a.imageshack.us/img146/7184/002h6rkyf6.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/i/002h6rkyf6.jpg/)

TRF
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Once, in little league, Jay Bruce threw out two runners on one play. He got Ken Griffey Junior as a Mariner in 1999, and Honus Wagner. His throw traveled forward in time and space to get Jr, then as we all know, time is a loop, so the ball ended up in the past getting Wagner in 1904.

That ball is now its own singularity, occupying space in multiple times. Anyone touching it other than Jay Bruce will implode the universe on itself destroying everything.

Except Jay Bruce.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Ctrent said last night after the game Bruce said he was fine and it was just precautionary. Now he is out indefinitely.

Raisor
09-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Ctrent said last night after the game Bruce said he was fine and it was just precautionary. Now he is out indefinitely.

the whole "it's always something with this kid" line makes it sound like it's his fault. It's an injury. They happen.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 06:45 PM
the whole "it's always something with this kid" line makes it sound like it's his fault. It's an injury. They happen.

Meant it more in terms of having tough luck.

westofyou
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Big picture view:

It's always 'something' with one poster about this 'kid'

That's pretty much where the intrigue begins and ends.

reds44
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Everybody relax, from Fay:
Jocketty said the trainers told him Bruce could be a available this weekend. #reds

CTA513
09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Maybe he was hanging out with Chan Ho Park?

YouTube - Chan Ho Park answers his critics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIEHPGj9sI)

cincrazy
09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Even if Bruce has to miss more than a week (which I would guess is unlikely), we have a CUSHION in the division right now. Feels weird to say that, but it's true. Main thing is to not rush him back, even if he does feel 100%.

Ron Madden
09-02-2010, 03:43 AM
Big picture view:

It's always 'something' with one poster about this 'kid'

That's pretty much where the intrigue begins and ends.

Yep, I agree. The sad part is some members read this stuff from one poster then start whining and accusing the entire community of RedsZone of excessive negativity.

nate
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Yep, I agree. The sad part is some members read this stuff from one poster then start whining and accusing the entire community of RedsZone of excessive negativity.

We should just ban Redszone, it's the cause of all these problems!

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Now let's be realistic. When he hit .200 for almost two months without homering I was hardly the only one not happy about it. At the end of the day I still bleed red and when Bruce struggles of course I hate it. Let's remember that.

We should just ban Redszone, it's the cause of all these problems!

Cause of what problems? I'm talking baseball. More potshots are taken by some here than in a kindergarten class. No reason for that in my opinion from an adult. It's nothing personal, we're talking about baseball. Why don't we get back on track of doing that rather than the potshots?

_Sir_Charles_
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Now let's be realistic. When he hit .200 for almost two months without homering I was hardly the only one not happy about it. At the end of the day I still bleed red and when Bruce struggles of course I hate it. Let's remember that.

Cause of what problems? I'm talking baseball. More potshots are taken by some here than in a kindergarten class. No reason for that in my opinion from an adult. It's nothing personal, we're talking about baseball. Why don't we get back on track of doing that rather than the potshots?

:thumbup: Absolutely right. The pile-on gets tired quickly.

membengal
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM

There is no good way to respond to this. If you can't see how your behavior has been less than ideal in this thread, despite gentle and then pointed attempts from a lot of people to address it, then you just don't get it.

Would a compendium of your greatest hits from this thread in one post be sufficient? Would it be permissible? No one here wants to come off as "attacking" a poster and running afoul of site rules, so it's hard to know how to respond to your question.

The "talking baseball" part has been out the window for some time with respect to your posts, as you seem to be demanding an immediate gratification from Bruce that is out of whack. Woy, somewhere in this monster thread, even quantified how it was historically out of whack, and I don't know if you ever looked at that or thought about it. So it's hard to know how to "talk baseball" with you about Jay Bruce, when so much of what you appear to need is hand holding reassurances that he will become the next Babe Ruth rather than accepting that his growth is not linear and there are no guarantees as to what he will be. But that what he is in the near-term is awfully darn good.

nate
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM

My comment had nothing to do with you.

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 10:46 AM
There is no good way to respond to this. If you can't see how your behavior has been less than ideal in this thread, despite gentle and then pointed attempts from a lot of people to address it, then you just don't get it.

Would a compendium of your greatest hits from this thread in one post be sufficient? Would it be permissible? No one here wants to come off as "attacking" a poster and running afoul of site rules, so it's hard to know how to respond to your question.

The "talking baseball" part has been out the window for some time with respect to your posts, as you seem to be demanding an immediate gratification from Bruce that is out of whack. Woy, somewhere in this monster thread, even quantified how it was historically out of whack, and I don't know if you ever looked at that or thought about it. So it's hard to know how to "talk baseball" with you about Jay Bruce, when so much of what you appear to need is hand holding reassurances that he will become the next Babe Ruth rather than accepting that his growth is not linear and there are no guarantees as to what he will be. But that what he is in the near-term is awfully darn good.

Point well-taken. I apologize. But I wasn't trying to talk something that didn't belong in the forum. I was talking about baseball, albeit my opinions might have been unique and even wrong. We all learn, grow and get better. I'm no different.

membengal
09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Point well-taken. I apologize. But I wasn't trying to talk something that didn't belong in the forum. I was talking about baseball, albeit my opinions might have been unique and even wrong. We all learn, grow and get better. I'm no different.

Cool. I was delighted with his recent hot streak like all Reds fans were, I am certain, and also disappointed that he tweaked his side.

I am also glad, though, that he had the maturity to tell Dusty and take a few days off rather than tough it out in some manner and make it worse.

This team benefits from that maturity.