PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to see "blank" comeback and manage the Reds

icehole3
04-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I think Eric Davis could handle it. http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

What former Red would you like to see comeback and manage the Reds?

George Anderson
04-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Barry Larkin

Just a hunch.

westofyou
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Red Faber or maybe someone from a team with a winning tradition?

dabvu2498
04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
None.

There's a certain "inbredness" that exists within the organization that will just continue to perpetuate itself until it is driven out.

That's why I wasn't too displeased with Baker's hiring, though he may not be nor might not have been the best guy. At least he was somebody DIFFERENT.

I'm all for drawing on the cultural and historical knowledge of the past when it comes to the success of the past, but the faces and brains at the head of the orgainization need to be progressive.

TRF
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Davey Johnson.

He managed them, so that makes him a former Red.

nate
Earl Weaver.

:cool:

IowaRed
Norm Charlton

Slyder
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Jack McKeon best manager we had since Sparky and best manager of the last 15 years.

Benihana
04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Red Faber or maybe someone from a team with a winning tradition?

I'd say Larkin has been on a few teams with a winning tradition. 1990, 1994, 1995, and 1999 all come to mind- as do all the second place finishes of the late 1980s.

I'd at least like to see him as a hitting (or fielding) coach. While I love Eric Davis and would like to have him around, not sure the image of him waving at shoulder-level fastballs is what I have in mind for a hitting coach.

Slyder
04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
One more name Chris Chambliss. You can pay him to be hitting coach and manage :D.

RedsBaron
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Probably Sparky Anderson, although I would give consideration to Pat Moran, Bill McKechnie and Fred Hutchinson.

Benihana
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Davey Johnson

westofyou
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I'd say Larkin has been on a few teams with a winning tradition. 1990, 1994, 1995, and 1999 all come to mind- as do all the second place finishes of the late 1980s.

I'd at least like to see him as a hitting (or fielding) coach. While I love Eric Davis and would like to have him around, not sure the image of him waving at shoulder-level fastballs is what I have in mind for a hitting coach.

Yeah I think I remember those teams, how about somebody that didn't play for the Reds?

The Reds inbred nature of hiring is well documented, I say they try another path.

westofyou
04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Jack McKeon best manager we had since Sparky and best manager of the last 15 years.

That's like saying Burger King is the best fast food place out there.

Guacarock
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Devil's advocate...Pete Mackanin.

TRF
That's like saying Burger King is the best fast food place out there.

A complete falsehood as long as you can drive to a Whataburger.

Oh, that's your point. :)

Tom Servo
Jerry Narron.

No. But to be serious, I think I would at least give Pete Mackanin an interview.

Chip R
04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Bill McKechnie

mace
04-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Bingo.

OnBaseMachine
04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I'd like to see someone brought in from the Cardinals organization. Like maybe Josť Oquendo?

Big Klu
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Not sure I buy the "inbred" argument. Reds managers in my lifetime:

Sparky Anderson -- outsider
John McNamara -- outsider
Russ Nixon -- Cincinnati native, but never played in Reds organization
Vern Rapp -- outsider
Pete Rose -- current/former Reds player, Cincinnati native, BRM legend
Tommy Helms -- former Reds player
Lou Piniella -- outsider
Tony Perez -- former Reds player, BRM legend
Davey Johnson -- outsider
Ray Knight -- former Reds player, but closely associated with Davey Johnson's Mets as well
Jack McKeon -- outsider
Bob Boone -- outsider
Dave Miley -- long-time Reds minor-league player and manager
Jerry Narron -- outsider, coached a couple of years with Reds before getting job
Pete Mackanin -- outsider
Dusty Baker -- outsider

westofyou
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Not sure I buy the "inbred" argument. Reds managers in my lifetime:

Sparky Anderson -- outsider
John McNamara -- outsider
Russ Nixon -- Cincinnati native, but never played in Reds organization
Vern Rapp -- outsider
Pete Rose -- current/former Reds player, Cincinnati native, BRM legend
Tommy Helms -- former Reds player
Lou Piniella -- outsider
Tony Perez -- former Reds player, BRM legend
Davey Johnson -- outsider
Ray Knight -- former Reds player, but closely associated with Davey Johnson's Mets as well
Jack McKeon -- outsider
Bob Boone -- outsider
Dave Miley -- long-time Reds minor-league player and manager
Jerry Narron -- outsider, coached a couple of years with Reds before getting job
Pete Mackanin -- outsider
Dusty Baker -- outsider

Sparky, Rapp had both managed in the Reds system.

I prefer someone not from the last 2 decades myself

jmcclain19
Sparky Anderson - most overrated Reds manager in the last 100 years. How hard is it to write five HOF players names on the lineup card every day?

Honestly I just want a manager who won't harm the Reds - since most are cut from the same cloth anyway.

Dusty's been bad but certainly not as awful as Bob Boone or Dave Miley.

Ghosts of 1990
Davey Johnson from 1986

dabvu2498
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Sparky, Rapp had both managed in the Reds system.

I prefer someone not from the last 2 decades myself

Yeah. That's what I had in mind when I used the "inbred" term.

klw
04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Frank Robinson

Ron Madden
04-19-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd like to have a Manager who realises it's 2010 and doesn't manage like it's the 1960's /1970's. ;)

RedsManRick
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Davey Johnson

IowaRed
04-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I'd like to have a Manager who realises it's 2010 and doesn't manage like it's the 1960's /1970's. ;)

Prince would manage like it's 1999, close enough?

Chip R
04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Prince would manage like it's 1999, close enough?

Can you get him away from the basketball court though? ;)

BCubb2003
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Fred Blank. Pitched one game for the Reds in 1894. But he'd be 116 years old now.

Homer Bailey
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Ken Griffey, Jr.

Only half kidding.

macro
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see "blank" comeback and manage the Reds.

I assume you're referring to pitcher Fred Blank (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/blankfr01.shtml), who pitched eight innings and allowed five hits and four runs in his only Major League start, in 1894 for the Reds?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Anyone now why Blank didn't have a longer career, given his fairly impressive debut? I know some on this board surely saw him pitch (not calling any names).

macro
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Fred Blank. Pitched one game for the Reds in 1894. But he'd be 116 years old now.

Dang it, Cubb. You beat me to it. (See the above post.) :bash:

JaxRed
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Pete Mackanin

Benihana
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah I think I remember those teams, how about somebody that didn't play for the Reds?

The Reds inbred nature of hiring is well documented, I say they try another path.

Well, by nature of the question "I'd like to see _____ come back and manage the Reds" it kind of implies that the person was here at one point or another.

George Anderson
04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Sparky Anderson - most overrated Reds manager in the last 100 years. .

While I don't necessarily agree with this I think in general whoever is manager of a professional team is for the most part overrated. This is MLB baseball with grown men who are professionals. No matter what strings a manager pulls it isn't gonna make that much of a difference unless the talent or personnel is there.

It wouldn't matter if the Reds brought in Sparky Anderson, Casey Stengel, Miller Huggins, Gene Mauck or Barry Larkin. If the talent or the personnel isn't there then it won't matter.

KronoRed
04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I have no names, but how about no former players or Reds.

Pick from one of those 10 guys :D

icehole3
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Well, by nature of the question "I'd like to see _____ come back and manage the Reds" it kind of implies that the person was here at one point or another.

I couldnt fit my whole question in the title, but the question is what former red so it would be coming back Benny

RedsManRick
04-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I couldnt fit my whole question in the title, but the question is what former red so it would be coming back Benny

Ah, I didn't get that either...

If we're talking about former Reds managers, I'll stick with Davey.

If we're talking about former Reds, put me down for Larkin. I like the history angle, the tone of professionalism he'd set and his (presumed) demand for intelligent baseball. I'd also like to get somebody on the younger side who is more likely to be open to sabermetric principles, even though from what I've heard on MLB Network, he's still operating from the "what I was taught" perspective.

I considered saying Soto just to get him on the staff full-time...

RedEye
04-19-2010, 05:31 PM

In fairness, I don't think the way a player hits during his career has much to do with his ability to teach hitting. Just because Davis swung at a few high ones doesn't mean his charges would do the same.

MississippiRed
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I've been wishing for him for a while (about 3 years?). I just think he understands the game.

steig
04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I'd like to see Joe Morgan

Hap
04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Ron Oester....he probably needs money

I doubt that Barry Larkin or Joe Morgan or Eric Davis needs the money.

GADawg
04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Sparky Anderson - most overrated Reds manager in the last 100 years. How hard is it to write five HOF players names on the lineup card every day?

Honestly I just want a manager who won't harm the Reds - since most are cut from the same cloth anyway.

Dusty's been bad but certainly not as awful as Bob Boone or Dave Miley.

don't remember 5 hof'ers on the Tigers roster...besides if you're gonna use that reasoning then Bobby Cox is just as overrated....and Leo Mazzone of course...btw not saying I completely disagree

Captain Hook
04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I doubt that Barry Larkin or Joe Morgan or Eric Davis needs the money.

Too bad that didn't keep Dusty Baker from coming back to manage.

Unassisted
04-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Another vote for Pete Mackanin. If this were a poll, I think he'd be winning. ;)

I really don't want to see a manager get hired because of his credentials as a former Red. Been there. Done that and done with that. Furthermore, there hasn't been a large enough sample size across MLB to convince me that it's a good idea to hire any former player who was paid more than $1 million/season. Joe Girardi and Ozzie Guillen do not constitute a large sample.

mth123
04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Adam Dunn. Just to liven this board up a bit.

RedsBaron
04-19-2010, 10:31 PM

Joe McCarthy was belittled as a "push button" manager who won merely because he had DiMaggio, Gehrig, Dickey, et al.
I once read someone belittle Walter Alston by writing "how hard is it to remember to start Koufax and Drysdale every fourth day?"
No manager wins for long without quality players. Sparky Anderson is merely the most successful, and probably the best manager, in the history of the Reds.

Yachtzee
04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Joe McCarthy was belittled as a "push button" manager who won merely because he had DiMaggio, Gehrig, Dickey, et al.
I once read someone belittle Walter Alston by writing "how hard is it to remember to start Koufax and Drysdale every fourth day?"
No manager wins for long without quality players. Sparky Anderson is merely the most successful, and probably the best manager, in the history of the Reds.

Managing has more to it than just filling out a lineup card and making the right decisions. I think what made Sparky great was his ability to manage all those HOF egos.

BCubb2003
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Sparky invented the modern bullpen, and he turned around the Tigers.

15fan
04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Paul O'Neill.

Because baseball is so much more entertaining when water coolers fly on a regular basis.

Jose Rijo comes back as pitching coach and serves as de facto manager when O'Neill gets tossed by the middle of the game each night.

Guacarock
04-19-2010, 11:41 PM
I assume you're referring to pitcher Fred Blank (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/blankfr01.shtml), who pitched eight innings and allowed five hits and four runs in his only Major League start, in 1894 for the Reds?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Anyone now why Blank didn't have a longer career, given his fairly impressive debut? I know some on this board surely saw him pitch (not calling any names).

As one of the RedsZone Methuselahs, I can't recall watching Fred Blank pitch his one and only game for the Reds on June 20, 1894. To refresh my fuzzy memory, I consulted Greg Rhodes and John Snyder's REDLEG JOURNAL but found the book mentions Blank only in the index of players, without any commentary on his shortlived career. Still, in a blurb on the team's July 20, 1894 game, REDLEG JOURNAL offers a few salient clues as to why players of that era might have been leery about hanging around the ballpark too long. Here's the scoop:

"Aided by zealous bleacherites, the Reds pull out a dramatic 7-6 win over the Pirates at League Park in the ten innings. Pittsburgh scored in the top of the tenth to take a 6-5 lead, but a homer by Farmer Vaughn tied the game and then Germany Smith followed with another ball into the bleachers. According to the ground rules of the day, Pittsburgh left fielder Elmer Smith was permitted to jump into the stands to retrieve the ball and attempt to retire the Cincinnati baserunner on a throw back to the infield. Several overzealous fans held Smith down, and center fielder Jake Stenzel rushed to his teammate's defense. The outfielders slugged their way free, but vacated the premises in a hurry when a fan displayed a revolver hidden in a coat pocket, and threatened to use the weapon if the Pittsburgh players continued their pursuit of the elusive horsehide."

Interestingly enough, the Enquirer termed the incident "excusable." Opined the paper, "It would be a poor fan indeed who would not turn a trick to help out the home team...They would not have been loyal Cincinnati rooters had they acted any other way."

Guacarock
04-19-2010, 11:54 PM
One other funny tidbit about Reds baseball, circa 1894. That was the year the term "fan" began to come into vogue. Up until then, spectators were more commonly known as "cranks."

If you ask me, the word "cranks" is ripe for its own comeback, especially for that sub-stratum of "fans" who frequent RedsZone. ;)

cincinnati chili
04-20-2010, 03:12 AM
John McGraw, Rush Limbaugh, or Kate Gosselin.

Mario-Rijo
04-20-2010, 03:28 AM
I've been wishing for him for a while (about 3 years?). I just think he understands the game.

Not to mention he has been the bench coach on the defending 2 time NL champions. I think he really should get a shot, but wouldn't. Who gets let go for a big name guy and then turns around and replaces him, not many.

Griffey Sr. is in the organization. Maybe he could take over for Jacoby midseason.

Degenerate39
04-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Rick Sweet

Ron Madden
04-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Marty Brennamen. He knows all and he's never wrong. ;)

KronoRed
04-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Marty Brennamen. He knows all and he's never wrong. ;)

Thom the hitting coach and Brantley the pitching coach..you have a 162-0 stew cooking.

Woo!

mth123
04-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Thom the hitting coach and Brantley the pitching coach..you have a 162-0 stew cooking.

Woo!

And think of the tomatoes they could grow out in the bullpen.

RedsBaron
04-20-2010, 07:42 AM
As one of the RedsZone Methuselahs, I can't recall watching Fred Blank pitch his one and only game for the Reds on June 20, 1894. To refresh my fuzzy memory, I consulted Greg Rhodes and John Snyder's REDLEG JOURNAL but found the book mentions Blank only in the index of players, without any commentary on his shortlived career. Still, in a blurb on the team's July 20, 1894 game, REDLEG JOURNAL offers a few salient clues as to why players of that era might have been leery about hanging around the ballpark too long. Here's the scoop:

"Aided by zealous bleacherites, the Reds pull out a dramatic 7-6 win over the Pirates at League Park in the ten innings. Pittsburgh scored in the top of the tenth to take a 6-5 lead, but a homer by Farmer Vaughn tied the game and then Germany Smith followed with another ball into the bleachers. According to the ground rules of the day, Pittsburgh left fielder Elmer Smith was permitted to jump into the stands to retrieve the ball and attempt to retire the Cincinnati baserunner on a throw back to the infield. Several overzealous fans held Smith down, and center fielder Jake Stenzel rushed to his teammate's defense. The outfielders slugged their way free, but vacated the premises in a hurry when a fan displayed a revolver hidden in a coat pocket, and threatened to use the weapon if the Pittsburgh players continued their pursuit of the elusive horsehide."

Interestingly enough, the Enquirer termed the incident "excusable." Opined the paper, "It would be a poor fan indeed who would not turn a trick to help out the home team...They would not have been loyal Cincinnati rooters had they acted any other way."
Hilarious story. Now we know why the current Reds have not been winning. Reds fans are not "overzealous" enough. ;) Geez, a fan "displayed a revolver" and threatened to use it against a Pittsburgh player? I've heard that Phiilies fans are rough, but wow.

Roy Tucker
04-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Chico Ruiz

cumberlandreds
04-20-2010, 08:55 AM
When I read the title of the thread the first person who came to mind was Gene Rayburn. :)

elfmanvt07
04-20-2010, 08:57 AM
I think that any possible candidate would have to bring a very positive attitude. I know that if I were in that dugout at the moment, I wouldn't be too confident. Postulating that there are multiple ways to get to that goal, I'm going to throw out a pair of names: Casey and Larkin. Plus, I think both would help put butts in the seats (which, as much as I hate to admit it, is very important at this phase of the team-building process).

Big Klu
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
When I read the title of the thread the first person who came to mind was Gene Rayburn. :)

"Dumb Dora is so dumb...."

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/Gene_Rayburn.jpg

cumberlandreds
04-20-2010, 09:40 AM

"That she became the Reds manager." :)

westofyou
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I think that any possible candidate would have to bring a very positive attitude. I know that if I were in that dugout at the moment, I wouldn't be too confident. Postulating that there are multiple ways to get to that goal, I'm going to throw out a pair of names: Casey and Larkin. Plus, I think both would help put butts in the seats (which, as much as I hate to admit it, is very important at this phase of the team-building process).

No one, not even Cincinnati fans comes to see the manager manage.

No one.

RedsBaron
04-20-2010, 11:09 AM
No one, not even Cincinnati fans comes to see the manager manage.

No one.

IIRC Bill James wrote an article years ago about the belief that Casey Stengel's presence as the Mets manager in the 1960s caused the Mets to draw fans to their home games. The conclusion of the article was that it did not. My guess is that if the Reds hired Barry Larkin or Sean Casey or Eric Davis or Joe Morgan or Johnny Bench or any other former player as manager it would boost attendance for that person's first game as manager, but that would be about it.

top6
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Darren Baker.

RBA
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Danny Graves

TRF
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
How about, if we are limiting this to former Reds or employees of the Reds we pick someone smart?

Lenny Harris. I maintain pinch hitters are smart.

Chip R
04-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Tom Emanski

westofyou
04-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Lenny Harris. I maintain pinch hitters are smart.

Probably because they hide when anything in the game is needed aside from a hitter and when a hitter is needed they are sitting next to the manager with a bat in their hand and a helmet on their head.

TRF
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Probably because they hide when anything in the game is needed aside from a hitter and when a hitter is needed they are sitting next to the manager with a bat in their hand and a helmet on their head.

As i stated. smart. :)

macro
04-20-2010, 02:26 PM

That microphone has GOT to be in a museum or hall of fame somewhere!

Unassisted
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
or Kate Gosselin.
Can we put Kate in the booth with Brantley when Marty retires? That would be comedy gold! :D

Chip R
04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Can we put Kate in the booth with Brantley when Marty retires? That would be comedy gold! :D

Put her in there with Marty. She'll go running back to Jon. :eek:

Caveat Emperor
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Scott Hatteberg.

StillFunkyB
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Rick Sweet

That's my vote.

TRF
04-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Rick Sweet

whither Dave Miley?

smells the same to me.

mth123
04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Scott Hatteberg.

Not a bad idea really.

Cicero
04-21-2010, 12:37 AM
I may get roughed up a bit for this but Tony Perez would be my pick. He got a very raw deal from Marge. I would liked to have seen what he could do over the course of even just a season.

cincinnati chili
04-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Bernie Stowe... or for reals, what's Larry Dierker up to?

Ron Madden
04-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Would love it if Larry Dierker replaced Dusty Baker. That will never happen though.

GAC
04-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Bernie Stowe... or for reals, what's Larry Dierker up to?

He hasn't updated Larrydierker. com since 2008. :cool:

Found this on him though....

http://www.loc.gov/folklife/Symposia/Baseball/bios.html

Dierker has written a regular baseball column for the Houston Chronicle, and produced a series of approximately five hundred three-minute radio vignettes for Astros radio pre-game shows. He has written two baseball books, It Ain't Brain Surgery, which detailed his baseball career as a pitcher and a manager, and My Team, in which he ruminated on the greatest players he knew in his years of baseball. He currently works as a freelance writer, speaker and broadcaster, and his projects include a baseball-themed musical.

I read an article a couple years back where Dierker stated he will never manage again. And part of that reason may be health too. But a big part of it is because he enjoys what he's doing now. Less pressure, more fun.

Raisor
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
, what's Larry Dierker up to?

:luvu:

kaldaniels
04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Back in the day Ronnie Oester's name was brought up but I seem to recall him taking some heat on RZ. I enjoyed him as a bench/base coach and wouldn't mind seeing him back here...I just can't remember why so many disliked him.

Yachtzee
04-25-2010, 05:44 PM
He hasn't updated Larrydierker. com since 2008. :cool:

Found this on him though....

http://www.loc.gov/folklife/Symposia/Baseball/bios.html

Dierker has written a regular baseball column for the Houston Chronicle, and produced a series of approximately five hundred three-minute radio vignettes for Astros radio pre-game shows. He has written two baseball books, It Ain't Brain Surgery, which detailed his baseball career as a pitcher and a manager, and My Team, in which he ruminated on the greatest players he knew in his years of baseball. He currently works as a freelance writer, speaker and broadcaster, and his projects include a baseball-themed musical.

I read an article a couple years back where Dierker stated he will never manage again. And part of that reason may be health too. But a big part of it is because he enjoys what he's doing now. Less pressure, more fun.

I have to think that part of it is also that he probably hasn't seen any opportunities where the FO shares his philosophies. If the right opportunity presented itself, I would think Dierker might consider it. However, I don't know if the Reds would be the right opportunity.

GAC
04-26-2010, 06:16 AM
I have to think that part of it is also that he probably hasn't seen any opportunities where the FO shares his philosophies.

That may be true Yachtzee, but I find it hard to believe that that there isn't a FO out there that doesn't share his approach and philosophy. The guy is a proven winner as a manager. Maybe that's it. ;)

I think it's all Dierker not wanting to re-enter the high pressure rat race.