PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff: Micromanagers managing to make games maddening

flyer85
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/13256696/power-rankings-micromanagers-managing-to-make-games-maddening?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer

Then there's Jerry Manuel. Thanks to inspired strokes like "Mike Jacobs, cleanup hitter," he rarely gets out-dumbed by one of his peers. On Saturday, however, he managed to come across as Casey Stengel, despite having asked one of his top-of-lineup hitters to bunt against a non-pitcher. Meanwhile, you just watch: Francisco Rodriguez will fissure in the wake of being asked to warm up and sit down multiple times on Saturday -- nine times, by my count.

This, to me, has been the story of the season's first two weeks: Managers running stupidity clinics on a night-in, night-out basis. In Cincinnati, you had Dusty Baker inking Miguel Cairo's name into the fifth spot in the batting order. In Kansas City, you had Trey Hillman somehow failing to get his one capable reliever, Joakim Soria, into a game where the bullpen was called upon to protect a five-run lead. In Texas, you had Ron Washington reinforcing his rep as the Mahatma of moron when he demoted Frank Francisco from the closer role ... then brought him into a tie game in the ninth inning the next night.

Chip R
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
In Texas, you had Ron Washington reinforcing his rep as the Mahatma of moron when he demoted Frank Francisco from the closer role ... then brought him into a tie game in the ninth inning the next night.

And all the Texas fans get to say, "What was he, on crack?" ;)

Tom Servo
04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I think even better for the Mets than "Mike Jacobs - Cleanup hitter" was 2 days ago when there was "Frank Catalanotto - Cleanup hitter". I mean, really.

mth123
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Neither Catalanotto nor Jacobs hitting 4th is as bad as Miguel Cairo hitting 5th.

nate
04-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Neither Catalanotto nor Jacobs hitting 4th is as bad as Miguel Cairo hitting.

Made an edit there.

:cool:

Will M
04-20-2010, 07:51 PM
its funny & its not funny.

last year about midseason i stopped watching the Reds. why? because Dusty was playing Taveras & Gonzalez and batting them 1-2. i decided the team's chances to win games was very low & i wasn't going to waste my time watching them. i was actually lucky. i missed the entire midseason mega swoon. i started watching again in August after the callup of Stubbs & the insertion of Janisch at SS.

i have never been a Dusty basher. however, this year he has worn out my patience. i cannot blame him if Bruce is unlucky, Rolen's back stiffens up or Cueto/Bailey/Harang stink. i also try not to nitpick every decision he makes (for example i would have pulled CoCo saturday when he walked the bases loaded). however, there are two issues that i have major problems with Dusty.

#1 in 13 games Cairo has 13 PAs. his OPS+ is -18. this is not bad luck. its a complete lack of skill. batting him 5th is absolute managerial malpractive.
i cannot see a single reason for him to play unless he are down by 15 runs & he pitches to save the pen. seriously. Walt & Castellini are also to blame here by not giving the manager a real 25 man roster.

#2 a 2nd issue with Dusty is his use of Cabrera to start nearly every game at SS. its plain to me as a fairly knowledgable fan that Orlando Cabrera can't play SS. he has no range. yet guess who plays every day? thats right: the guy who can't play one of the two most important defensive positions.
this just can't happen & yet it does.
yes our pitching has been poor but it doesn't help if routine grounders to SS go for 'hits'.

am i going to pay my hard earned cash to go to GABP or waste 3 hours of my life six days a week for this? no. i'll watch Stubbs struggle, Bruce struggle, Leake struggle,etc. they might improve. i'll watch guys like Gomes, Dickerson, DRH, Owings & Hanigan. i like guys with limited talent who work hard.
i don't expect them to be all stars & i hope the manager can use them in situations where they have better chances to succeed.
i will not watch is a team that starts players on a daily basis who can't field their position.
i will not watch a team that sends out players who have no business on a major league field & no chance of improving.
i will not watch guys like Harang, Bailey & Cueto stink up the joint game after game after game.

besides the kids getting off my lawn what would make me happy?
#1 start Janish at SS. Cabrera becomes the IF backup. the 2009 team played well down the stretch when the defense improved. now its 2010 & we are back to sacrificing defense for 'offense'. i use the term loosley considering Cabrera's lifetime ops+ of ~90.
#2 release Cairo & replace him with anyone who has a chance to contribute in a major league game
#3 inform the pitchers who aren't producing that they are not guaranteed 32 starts this year. if they continue to stink they will be released (Harang), traded (Bailey) or moved to the pen (Cueto) and replaced by Chapman, Wood or Maloney.