PDA

View Full Version : Joe Morgan to be introduced as Reds special advisor

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

MORGAN TO BE INTRODUCED AS REDS SPECIAL ADVISOR

At a press conference this afternoon, Hall of Famer Joe Morgan will be introduced as the Reds' Special Advisor to Baseball Operations.

Morgan and Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty will be available in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park at 4:30 p.m. ET.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/04/morgan-to-be-introduced-as-reds-special-advisor.html

Chip R
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

MORGAN TO BE INTRODUCED AS REDS SPECIAL ADVISOR

At a press conference this afternoon, Hall of Famer Joe Morgan will be introduced as the Reds' Special Advisor to Baseball Operations.

Morgan and Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty will be available in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park at 4:30 p.m. ET.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/04/morgan-to-be-introduced-as-reds-special-advisor.html

I hope he can advise Drew Stubbs how to get on base.

Spring~Fields
04-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Ut Oh. Where have we seen "special advisor" before?

Is Mr. Castellini hiring him?

Does Joe want to GM or manage?

I did not think so.

George Anderson
04-21-2010, 01:42 PM
I loved Little Joe as a player, but he would drive me nuts if I had to sit in on meetings with him.

He talks to damn much.

BRM
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Does he have to give up his gig as an analyst for ESPN?

Unassisted
04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Fay tweeted that Johnny Bench once held the same role. I don't think we need to worry about Joe being involved in a prominent way in the day-to-day.

RedsManRick
04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I was actually shocked by how reasonable Joe sounded on the opening night (Sunday) broadcast with Jon Miller. I'm guessing this is basically a "He has to be employed by the team in order to be allowed to attend certain events/meetings" type of thing.

lollipopcurve
04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Like the move. This was a player with an unrelenting competitive drive to win every single confrontation on the field -- pitch by pitch, at bat by at bat, base by base. I hope that's what rubs off.

redsmetz
04-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Does he have to give up his gig as an analyst for ESPN?

From John Fay's tweet: Just spoke to ESPN, new gig won't impact Morgan's role on SNB. He will not be involved day to day with Reds. Reds aren't skedded on SNB

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2010, 04:19 PM
From John Fay:

Just spoke to ESPN, new gig won't impact Morgan's role on SNB. He will not be involved day to day with #Reds. Reds aren't skedded on SNB

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Ron Madden
04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
It's a PR move nothing more.

When the fanbase is dissatisfied with the product on the field divert their attention with The Power Of Tradition. ;)

KronoRed
04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
One of the best players and one of the worst analysts.

BRM
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
From John Fay's tweet: Just spoke to ESPN, new gig won't impact Morgan's role on SNB. He will not be involved day to day with Reds. Reds aren't skedded on SNB

Thanks.

redsfandan
04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Nice move to further connect to one of the great Reds of the past. But, I'm not going to read too much into what this means cuz I really don't think it means all that much.

Always Red
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
From Hal:

At one point during the press conference, Morgan paused for nearly 30 seconds and tears were close, before he continued.

Why so emotional?

“Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez, George Foster, Dave Concepcion - I had some of the best times of my life here,” he said. “I’ve never really left Cincinnati. Just physically. But I’ve always been a Reds fan.”

M2
04-21-2010, 08:08 PM
I've always thought Morgan would make a great instructor. He understands the detail work involved in playing the game. It causes him to lose the forest for the trees as an analyst, but he's always come across to me as the kind of guy who can spot a small flaw and show a player how to correct it.

Don't know that the Reds will utilize him in that fashion, yet standing on the field with Joe Morgan has got to help your game more than hurt it.

Chip R
04-21-2010, 08:14 PM
From what has been reported, he's going to be involved in getting African-Americans more involved.

Unassisted
04-21-2010, 08:22 PM
There's a lot of animosity toward Joe coming out on the Reds Facebook site (http://www.facebook.com/Reds). Makes RedsZone's criticism of him seem tame by comparison. It'll probably get edited out to avoid offending the new employee, so go see the trainwreck if you're "a fan." ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-22-2010, 12:49 AM
From John Fay's blog:

Joe Morgan will do some games as a guest broadcaster. He also advise Walt Jocketty on baseball matters.

But his biggest role will be helping the Reds promote participation by African Americans in the game.

Morgan called Reds COO Phil Castellini about the role.

“It’s easy to talk about not having African American participation,” Morgan said. “But I want to be part of the solution, not just a guy on TV talking about what’s going down. That’s basically why I made the phone call. I was very pleased that Phil felt it was a good thing to do.”

read the rest here:
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/04/21/morgans-biggest-role-will-in-community/

OnBaseMachine
04-22-2010, 12:58 AM
From C. Trent:

Jocketty said Morgan's voice would be heard within the organization.

"I look forward to picking his brain about difference situations and players, I want him to help us bring back the culture of the Big Red Machine and what better way than to bring in a guy like Joe?" Jocketty said. "I'll lean on him ... to talk about the direction we're going and if he can help a guy in the minor leagues with baserunning or whatever, he'll be able to do that from time-to-time. Having the opportunity to bring in someone with Joe's credentials is huge for this organization, both on the business side and the baseball side."

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/morgan-re-joins-reds-001810/

Nasty_Boy
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
This sounds like a PR move... The Reds have made all kinds of front office, broadcast, community moves, etc. the last few years... They just haven't made enough moves to improve the team. It seems like they do everything to try and win fan support except putting a good product on the field.

nate
04-22-2010, 10:59 AM
How does this affect the scheduled stopping of the losing?

:cool:

I liked Joe on the broadcast last night.

VR
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I thought he did a great job on the broadcast last night explaining his interest and role w/ the club.

He also laid out the purpose for the chicken wing....which I hadn't heard before.

RANDY IN INDY
04-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I think that before it is over, Morgan will have the itch to get back on the field.

BCubb2003
04-22-2010, 06:27 PM
I think that before it is over, Morgan will have the itch to get back on the field.

Well, he's probably lost a step or two, but we could always move Brandon Phillips to short.

IowaRed
04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
on the front page of Redszone, when this thread is at the top, it just says "Joe Morgan to be introduced ........." and then it runs out of room. Just for a second I had a joyous flash, as I had forgotten about seeing this thread yesterday, that this was a new announcement and that the next word would be manager.

Jpup
04-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Dusty's contract is up soon. Beware.

westofyou
04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Old guys (and Joe qualifies) that have never managed/coached/run a team are not welcomed.

I want the Reds to recognize the past yet, not return to it as it was a well that never stopped giving, because if that's the case I want to know where the last 14 years have gone.

Joe Morgan is a great Reds player from the past, he could teach some guys some things, I want nothing to do with him managing.

If Joe wanted to do that then he should have done it when his career was in the rear view mirror a tad larger.

Yachtzee
04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Joe own the trademarks on the Big Red Machine? I wonder if his new found association with the team will involve some sort of deal allowing the Reds use of "Big Red Machine" and associated marks.

jmcclain19
04-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Joe's had 20 years to scratch that coaching/managing itch. I highly doubt now is the time he gives that a try.

This is a ceremonial position - nothing more. He'll slide into the Johnny Bench role of commenting on how close certain draft pick's breaking balls are better than Tom Seaver's. And drift into the night come April 1st.

George Anderson
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Joe own the trademarks on the Big Red Machine? I wonder if his new found association with the team will involve some sort of deal allowing the Reds use of "Big Red Machine" and associated marks.

If that is true then I bet ol' Pete is kicking himself that he didn't think of it.

Dom Heffner
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Joe Morgan is probably in the top 20 best baseball players of all-time, and the great irony is that if he had to explain to you why that is, he couldn't.

Ron Madden
04-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Joe Morgan is probably in the top 20 best baseball players of all-time, and the great irony is that if he had to explain to you why that is, he couldn't.

:laugh: There's a whole lot of truth in that statement.

RANDY IN INDY
04-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Joe Morgan was as smart and technically proficient as a ballplayer as anyone I have ever watched. He did things correctly in every phase of the game. The only weaknesses that I ever saw was that he didn't have a real strong arm and he couldn't hit John Candelaria. I think Morgan could have been a really good manager, but his time has probably passed. I really don't have a problem with his commentary on TV. I think he gets a bad rap.

mth123
04-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Joe Morgan was as smart and technically proficient as a ballplayer as anyone I have ever watched. He did things correctly in every phase of the game. The only weaknesses that I ever saw was that he didn't have a real strong arm and he couldn't hit John Candelaria. I think Morgan could have been a really good manager, but his time has probably passed. I really don't have a problem with his commentary on TV. I think he gets a bad rap.

Agreed.

RFS62
04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
How does this affect the scheduled stopping of the losing?

:cool:

That's awesome.

Joe's had 20 years to scratch that coaching/managing itch. I highly doubt now is the time he gives that a try.

This is a ceremonial position - nothing more. He'll slide into the Johnny Bench role of commenting on how close certain draft pick's breaking balls are better than Tom Seaver's. And drift into the night come April 1st.

Yeah, I can't see him wanting to be a manager. The travel and time involved in managing is far more than what he's used to the last few years as a broadcaster.

He has the perfect gig already. This is just gravy.

RANDY IN INDY
04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I think you are right, RFS62. The competitive fire has probably subsided into the comfort zone.

RichRed
04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I can't see him wanting to be a manager. The travel and time involved in managing is far more than what he's used to the last few years as a broadcaster.

He has the perfect gig already. This is just gravy.

Not to mention, he turns 67 this year. When's the last time someone got his first managerial gig in his late 60s?

Paging WOY...

westofyou
04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Not to mention, he turns 67 this year. When's the last time someone got his first managerial gig in his late 60s?

Paging WOY...

Less Moss was 55 when he got the call by the 1979 Tigers, Hank O'Day was 50 when he got the job in Cincinnati in 1912

paulrichjr
04-26-2010, 07:00 PM

It is my understanding that he does own it. Wasn't it something like Marge was too cheap to pay for the renewal or something to that effect?

westofyou
04-26-2010, 07:04 PM
It is my understanding that he does own it. Wasn't it something like Marge was too cheap to pay for the renewal or something to that effect?

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/02/13/loc_radel13.html

Chip R
04-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Less Moss was 55 when he got the call by the 1979 Tigers, Hank O'Day was 50 when he got the job in Cincinnati in 1912

I think Paul Owens was 59.

westofyou
04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I think Paul Owens was 59.

Yes, he did manage 80 games in 1972 and 83 was a save a franchise move. THEN he was a manager for a full year, The freak is the old guy who gets to the salt lick right before he dies. Most of them are failures as managers, most of them are pure baseball men, like Alex Grammas, age 50 Brewers manager 1976

Chip R
04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes, he did manage 80 games in 1972 and 83 was a save a franchise move. THEN he was a manager for a full year, The freak is the old guy who gets to the salt lick right before he dies. Most of them are failures as managers, most of them are pure baseball men, like Alex Grammas, age 50 Brewers manager 1976

I know Bob Lemon managed in Chicago but how old was he when the Yankees hired him? How old was Roger Craig?

westofyou
04-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I know Bob Lemon managed in Chicago but how old was he when the Yankees hired him? How old was Roger Craig?

Common fault in this exercise, forget the first team and multiple it by how freaking old the weathered player looks.

Craig, Padres age 48

Lemon Royals 49

westofyou
04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Danny Ozark came late to the party (49)