PDA

View Full Version : Thought on Joe Morgan as Reds manager?

mattfeet
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
This may or may not pan out to be true, but it seems quite interesting that the Reds are in a slump, everyone is baggin' on Dusty (who is in the last year of his contract), and then Joe Morgan is brought in as a "Special Advisor".

Do you guys think he could do the job? Good or bad? I for one am not sure, I know he knows the game, and very well at that, but I never thought of him as managerial material. Maybe he'd be great...I dunno.

Your thoughts?

:beerme:
Matt

TC81190
04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, here's a thought.

It's not gonna happen.

mattfeet
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Cool, thanks for adding to the conversation.

A+ for a really insightful post.

TC81190
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Cool, thanks for adding to the conversation.

A+ for a really insightful post.
What more is there to be said? The board is reading between the lines when there aren't any lines there in the first place. It's a PR move, that is all.

mattfeet
04-22-2010, 11:13 AM
What more is there to be said? The board is reading between the lines when there aren't any lines there in the first place. It's a PR move, that is all.

As someone else said, they also brought in Jocketty as a special advisor. Im not saying this is going to happen, it's just like speculation...like every single other post on this forum...

-Matt

GIDP
04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7569411

Watch the press conference.

texasdave
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes, because we can take every announcement in sports at face value. And things never change. Was Joe Morgan brought in specifically to take Dusty's place should things continue on the way they are? No. Would I be surprised if that is what eventually happens? No.

Vottomatic
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Morgan has never managed in his career, correct?

mattfeet
04-22-2010, 12:00 PM

You can say that for every manager before they got their first managerial job, correct?

BigPoppa
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM

managed or coached, to my knowledge

TC81190
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, because we can take every announcement in sports at face value. And things never change. Was Joe Morgan brought in specifically to take Dusty's place should things continue on the way they are? No. Would I be surprised if that is what eventually happens? No.
it has nothing to do with the move at face value, it's the logistics of it. He would be one of the older managers in the game, as a rookie manager. He's not going to be working with be club everyday. He's working to get African Americans more involved with the game. He is not carrying a significant role in the operations of the club.

Unequivocally no. Joe Morgan is not going to manage the Cincinnati Reds.

Red in Atl
04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
I would love to see Joe as the manager, but I can't imagine at 66 you'd step into that role for the first time. Dusty will finish the year, no matter what. You don't bring Joe in as a special adviser to promote African-American participation in the sport and then fire the African-American manager.

flash
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I would love to see Joe as the manager, but I can't imagine at 66 you'd step into that role for the first time. Dusty will finish the year, no matter what. You don't bring Joe in as a special adviser to promote African-American participation in the sport and then fire the African-American manager.

That is exactly what you do to avoid charges of racism.

texasdave
04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Unless you replace him with another Afro-American manager, right? So as long as Joe is around the Reds are going to have to keep naming a black as there field manager. That is crazy.

The Operator
04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Joe's not a good managerial candidate, anyway.

Ever listened to his broadcasts? He's said many times he'd take a guy who went 16-8 with a 4.90 ERA over a guy who went 7-11 with a 2.90 ERA... because the guy with the better record "finds ways to keep his team in the ballgame". Never mind that whole run support thing.

He's also shown distain for OBP before and he loves a speedy guy at the top of the lineup. This is also well documented.

If you think Dusty drives you nuts, you'd be begging for him back after a few months of Little Joe.

Krawhitham
04-22-2010, 07:51 PM
he would be worse than Dusty

texasdave
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I could envision a scenario where Dusty gets fired around the all-star break and Joe steps in on an interim basis under the guise of evaluting the talent.

Kingspoint
04-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Bad idea of Joe Morgan being a Manager for any ballclub.