PDA

View Full Version : Ondrusek Optioned to Louisville, Fisher called up

redsmetz
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Just saw this tweet from the Reds:

CincinnatiReds: Reds optioned RHP Logan Ondrusek to Louisville, recalled RHP Carlos Fisher from Louisville. Batsí opponents went 1-for-24 vs Fisher.

TRF
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
excellent move, but also an obvious one.

Entertain me Walt!

_Sir_Charles_
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Had to see that one coming.

I do like Logan though. The kid will be back.
Now show me that you care about this team and move Janish to the starter & Hanigan to the starter.

fearofpopvol1
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
It's the right move. Fisher has had a good start in Louisville too.

I think Ondrusek has potential, but he has got to spot his pitches better.

yab1112
04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
It's a start.

RedsManRick
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Funny how that works. Guys don't tend to suddenly get better than their colleagues over the winter. Really speaks to the caution we should take regarding Spring Training performances.

Kc61
04-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Funny how that works. Guys don't tend to suddenly get better than their colleagues over the winter. Really speaks to the caution we should take regarding Spring Training performances.

Fisher missed a lot of spring training.

Blitz Dorsey
04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
'Bout time. I actually like Ondrusek when I think about his future, but he's clearly not quite ready for prime time (or even businessman's specials).

MississippiRed
04-22-2010, 03:58 PM
That's it? Where's that Hitler video?

VR
04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
'Bout time. I actually like Ondrusek when I think about his future, but he's clearly not quite ready for prime time (or even businessman's specials).

I completely agree. For all the hype, he looked like a career minor leaguer at best out there. This was my first time seeing him pitch, but he had 'meh' written all over him, even when he did throw strikes.

VR
04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
That's it? Where's that Hitler video?

"everyone who wanted to bring Fisher north out of spring training, please leave the room" :D

HokieRed
04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Makes sense. Hope Logan makes it back. We need another move quick, though.

Guacarock
04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Ondrusek wouldn't have come north with the team except for Fisher and Burton being out of commission. Fisher has certainly come back strong from his bout with flu that severely limited his outings during spring training.

Burton's status seems more mysterious. He hasn't pitched for Louisville and there's been no word on when we might see him. If Masset continues to implode, we'll need Burton back and on track, hopefully sooner, not later.

nate
04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Ondrusek wouldn't have come north with the team except for Fisher and Burton being out of commission. Fisher has certainly come back strong from his bout with flu that severely limited his outings during spring training.

Burton's status seems more mysterious. He hasn't pitched for Louisville and there's been no word on when we might see him. If Masset continues to implode, we'll need Burton back and on track, hopefully sooner, not later.

He was on the 7 day DL with some sort of odd malady.

membengal
04-22-2010, 04:33 PM
They were checking a thyroid issue was the one report I saw. So it may be some time. In any event, I don't think Burton is available to help the big club for awhile.

Will M
04-23-2010, 02:01 AM
I am not sure whether Fisher is a decent middle reliever or a AAAA arm. he pitched ok but not great in 2009. time will tell. clearly Ondrusek needs to work on some things.

traderumor
04-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Ondrusek was getting good major league hitters out, then would walk the Ronny Paulinos and Jamey Carrolls of this world on four pitches. Next thing you knew, flood gates opened, ERA skyrocketing. ADD?

Regardless, Fisher is an upgrade for middle relief.

Chip R
04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Ondrusek was getting good major league hitters out, then would walk the Ronny Paulinos and Jamey Carrolls of this world on four pitches. Next thing you knew, flood gates opened, ERA skyrocketing. ADD?

Regardless, Fisher is an upgrade for middle relief.

Or, he could be just, you know, young and inexperienced. Not everyone has instant success when they first come up in the big leagues. Lots of star pitchers get hit like pinatas when they first come up. I don't know if Ondrusek is going to be a star but I think we should be a little more patient with these young pitchers.

11larkin11
04-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Just a reminder, when people talk about the future of the pen, don't forget we have Arredondo next year.

camisadelgolf
04-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Just a reminder, when people talk about the future of the pen, don't forget we have Arredondo next year.
My prediction: Arredondo gets taken in the rule five draft before getting a chance to play for the Reds.

OnBaseMachine
04-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Yep. He was one of the most dominant relievers in the game in 2008 before suffering injuries in 2009. If he's healthy next year he has a chance to be a huge part of the Reds bullpen.

HokieRed
04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
My prediction: Arredondo gets taken in the rule five draft before getting a chance to play for the Reds.

Not sure why this would be the case. Do we have that many new players needing to be protected? I don't think it will happen because if this team does not contend, there will be a lot of people gone, IMO.

dougdirt
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Not sure why this would be the case. Do we have that many new players needing to be protected? I don't think it will happen because if this team does not contend, there will be a lot of people gone, IMO.

2006 High Schoolers (or sooner) will need to be protected, as well as 2007 college guys (or sooner). The 2006 high school crop only has 1 guy with evena chance, Josh Ravin. He has the arm, but he will have to put up a real good season this year to get someone to take a chance on him as a bullpen arm. College wise though, Todd Frazier, Zack Cozart and Matt Klinker need protecting and to lesser extents Carroll, Jeffords and Krebs/Partch. That doesn't count any international guys, though I need to read some more on the rules for those guys before coming up with a list for them.