PDA

View Full Version : Paul Keels, does he strike you as boring?

jhiller21
04-23-2010, 02:39 AM
After resenting George Grande for so long, I've actually been missing his enthusiasm a little so far this year.

Keels is okay, but his lackluster calls on big plays have been a bit of a disappointment. I like Thom and Chris, but Paul Keels has gotten a lot of on-field calls wrong, and seems to lack any passion about the game of baseball.

Several times I've heard Chris chime in for him on a big play, drowning him out.

Your thoughts?

double21d
04-23-2010, 05:39 AM
I enjoy that Keels is a genuine life-long Reds fan...so his knowledge of Reds history is great. I still need some more time for the rest of his game to grow on me.
However, I've never noticed how much of a homer Welsh is. I'm not used to announcers openly cheering like he did when Jay Bruce hit his HR during Thursday night's game.
Has he always done this and I just never noticed or is this new?

lidspinner
04-23-2010, 06:55 AM
ive been getting the impression that Chris is trying to hard to help Paul.....maybe thats just me, but its what goes through my mind.....with that said, I think I like the combo of Chris and Paul.....almost opposites and I am sure Paul will get a little more enthused as he gets more comfortable.

Moosie52
04-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Paul has a golden voice.

Cant Touch This
04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Paul does have the voice for broadcasting, but he does strike me as a bit too mellow. Welsh is such a pleasant fella - he'll do whatever he can to make Paul feel comfortable and remove any awkwardness that could exist between them.

I also appreciate his knowledge of the Reds, their history, and that he's a genuine fan. But I've heard him call other sports and baseball doesn't really seem to be his thing. Maybe he'll grow into this role and develop a little more of a personality, but for now, he's not doing much for me. He's what I call a "safe pick" I suppose.

Rockermann
04-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Yes, he's a tad sleep inducing. But, as stated, he certainly has the voice for it.

Where is Thom anyway?

scott91575
04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes, he's a tad sleep inducing. But, as stated, he certainly has the voice for it.

Where is Thom anyway?

Radio for some of the time. When I have tuned into the radio it's non stop stories of Thom as a kid. He is having fun reminiscing with his Dad.

Jerome
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Paul Keels borders on tranquilizing. He's the low fidelity voice you play at night to help you fall asleep. His banter with Chris is lame. His sense of humor is ultra-dry to the point it can no longer be considered humor. He is a company man without a personality. He might as well be a robot. I wasn't a huge Grande guy, but the man had a personality and was exuberant.

BigPoppa
04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Paul Keels borders on tranquilizing. He's the low fidelity voice you play at night to help you fall asleep. His banter with Chris is lame. His sense of humor is ultra-dry to the point it can no longer be considered humor. He is a company man without a personality. He might as well be a robot.

Soooooooo....................not a big Keels guy, then ? :D

Vottomatic
04-23-2010, 01:00 PM
They should have hired Dan Hoard.

Hoard should be the next guy hired when someone else leaves, not even debatable.

Jerome
04-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Soooooooo....................not a big Keels guy, then ? :D

What do you mean? I love Paul Keels.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
I think we are just used to him broadcasting those boring pre-season games in August with Munoz.

NorrisHopper30
04-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I dislike Keels

jmac
04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Never seen or heard Keels till this season and Yes, he is very boring. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. He sounds more like he needs to be doing commercials than baseball.

redsfan_12
04-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I personally can't stand him. Much more of a at Thom fan. I'd even go as far as saying I liked George better than Keels

mikemo14
04-24-2010, 12:33 PM
They truly need to move the Cowboy to TV fulltime and get him off of the radio. His play by play is horrible. The other night he said Leake had retired 7 in a row out of nine. Keels has a great voice and may improve with time.

Krawhitham
04-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Paul talks to hear his own voice, he has a good voice but he never shuts up

ukwazoo
04-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I'd rather have him than Mr. Negative (Thom). Dude can't even spell his first name right.

jhiller21
04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
One of my gripes with Keels is him having to constantly correct himself during calls. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but it happens a lot.

jnewm777
04-24-2010, 06:19 PM
They truly need to move the Cowboy to TV fulltime and get him off of the radio. His play by play is horrible. The other night he said Leake had retired 7 in a row out of nine. Keels has a great voice and may improve with time.

I've been listening to Keels do OSU games for 12 years and while he has a great voice trust me - he won't get better.

arkimadee
04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
I've been listening to Keels do OSU games for 12 years and while he has a great voice trust me - he won't get better.
I appreciate Thom more when he does games now. He's miles beyond Paul Keels it's not even funny. I personally wanted to see Tim Kelch do more tv. He has the Vin Scully type voice that can paint me a picture of what's going on. Paul Keels puts me to sleep. I appreciate his deep knowledge of the Reds, but he's SOOOOOO boring. I miss George Grande alot. Mark my words, he will be back by next year. I bet he gets antsy and wants to come back and FSN will get tired of all the Keels complaints.

Jr's Boy
04-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Keels is very bland.Great voice but not anything of substance.He doesn't get fired up on a HR bomb,or big play.Thom tends to over dramatize every big play,but least he show's emotion.George Grande could get under your skin,but as a whole he was always positive about the Reds.I do hope he will come back full time next year,I look forward to hearing him later on in the season doing a few games.
And no I ain't drinking as I type.

markymark69
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I have to admit that was a little disappointed in Keels at first. I think he's getting better. I also think he is more suited for radio. I don't think he cuts it on TV. I wasn't impressed with him as Bengals TV announcer either. Although I love his calls of OSU Football and Basketball. I think basketball is his best sport.

I had my issues with Grande, but generally I liked him. I guess with George Grande gone -- it's be careful what you wish for.

As far as Hoard --- he might be a little more enthusiastic than Keels --- but I was never all that geeked about him either when he was in a sub role there a few years back.

As far as Welsh cheering? Nobody ever had a problem with Joe Nuxhall being a homer to my knowledge.

One more note -- Thom is more geared for TV I think and as far as radio there is nobody than better than Marty IMO.

Eppa Rixey
04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I have always liked Keels doing OSU games. I think he has a great voice and hope he works out.

SullyGator
04-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Seems like a great guy. But it'll take me some time to get used to his style though. Personally a huge fan of Jim Kelch.

BigPoppa
04-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Keels just introduced Cliff Lee in LF for the Astros..............:D

sivman17
04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Bruce makes a sliding stop in RF and Kelch calmly proclaims, "And Bruce makes the catch." Although Bruce probably didn't need to slide/dive for it, it was a heck of a catch and Keels did not show any rise in emotion.

C'mon man!

BigPoppa
04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Keels just introduced Cliff Lee in LF for the Astros..............:D

My apologies........apparently Kelch is on the call tonight.

Krawhitham
04-27-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm liking Jim Kelch

KySteveH
05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm liking Jim Kelch

Ditto...As for Keels, I've noticed that he never gives Chris an opening or segue to give color perspective. Thom and Chris are so much better at this.