PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America Hot Sheet - Sam Lecure

dougdirt
04-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Lecure didn't make the list, but was on the 'blast from the past' section.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2010/269874.html

Sam LeCure, a fourth-round pick out of Texas back in 2005, has been on the slow climb to the majors. He spent two years in Double-A Chattanooga before getting the promotion to Triple-A Louisville. He's now on his second tour of duty with the Bats. Along the way, he slipped out of the Reds Top 30 Prospects list (he peaked at No. 12 in 2007) as the Reds added more starting pitching depth. LeCure doesn't have the stuff to dominate—he succeeds with three average pitches and a feel for how to use them. LeCure, 26, allowed only two hits and no walks while striking out nine in eight scoreless innings in his only start of the week. LeCure has been as effective as anyone in the Reds' Triple-A rotation (2-0, 2.08 in three starts this year), but he still faces an uphill battle to make the big leagues. The other four members of the Bats' rotation include uber-prospect Aroldis Chapman, lefty Travis Wood (who was second in the minors in ERA last year) and a pair of starters, Matt Maloney and Justin Lehr, who have had some success in the majors.

Will M
04-25-2010, 03:31 AM
LeCure looks like one of those guys who could be AAAA material or a decent but not great BOR starter or middle reliever. Certainly if he keeps pitching like he has we will see him in Cincinnati this year.

Does anyone recall how he pitched this spring against major league players?

camisadelgolf
04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
lecure looks like one of those guys who could be aaaa material or a decent but not great bor starter or middle reliever. Certainly if he keeps pitching like he has we will see him in cincinnati this year.

Does anyone recall how he pitched this spring against major league players?

w l era g gs cg sho sv svo ip h r er hr hbp bb so
0 0 3.68 4 0 0 0 0 0 7.1 10 6 3 1 0 1 4

HokieRed
04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
A guy who knows how to use three average pitches ought to be able to find a place on our staff, at least in the pen.

Benihana
04-25-2010, 01:19 PM
LeCure looks like one of those guys who could be AAAA material or a decent but not great BOR starter or middle reliever. Certainly if he keeps pitching like he has we will see him in Cincinnati this year.

Agreed. This is a guy that would have been our #2 or 3 starter in the JimBo years. Sam LeCure, meet Josh Hall, Bobby Basham, Lance Davis, and Jose Acevedo.

I like that he's doing well, but I'm not sure he could ever be more than a long reliever at the major league level. And we already have Micah Owings (and Matt Maloney, for that matter.)

dougdirt
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Agreed. This is a guy that would have been our #2 or 3 starter in the JimBo years. Sam LeCure, meet Josh Hall, Bobby Basham, Lance Davis, and Jose Acevedo.

I like that he's doing well, but I'm not sure he could ever be more than a long reliever at the major league level. And we already have Micah Owings (and Matt Maloney, for that matter.)

I am curious to see Lecure as a reliever. I think he is a guy who could get a little extra on the heater out of the bullpen.

lollipopcurve
04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I am curious to see Lecure as a reliever. I think he is a guy who could get a little extra on the heater out of the bullpen.

I agree. And I think he can find a secondary pitch to complement it, though I don't know what his best choice is, curve or slider.

dougdirt
04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree. And I think he can find a secondary pitch to complement it, though I don't know what his best choice is, curve or slider.

I think his slider is a pretty solid pitch when he can locate it. If he can also add a MPH or two to it out of the pen it likely makes it that much better too.

lollipopcurve
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I think his slider is a pretty solid pitch when he can locate it. If he can also add a MPH or two to it out of the pen it likely makes it that much better too.

Good point. Hadn't considered the notion that he could bump the velo on the slider too. I really hope they try a conversion with Lecure -- I don't think he's got a great shot as a starter, but he does have enough stuff and command that the switch could make him able to help the big club in relatively short order.

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I've mentioned this before but when I was in Florida for Spring Training last March, Sam Lecure pitched out of the bullpen in a game I attended and he surprised me with how hard he threw. He was popping the mitt and had to be throwing around 94/95. From that point on I thought he would be a good candidate for the bullpen.

RED VAN HOT
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I'd like to see LeCure get a shot in the pen in place of Fisher.

GOYA
05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I see no reason to move LeCure from the starter's role. He's doing it and doing it as effectively as anyone on the Bats' staff. If any Bats' starter is moved to the pen, I'd like to see Lehr moved. He's done quite well in the pen before and if that makes room for Klinker to come back up, all the better.

Benihana
05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I see no reason to move LeCure from the starter's role. He's doing it and doing it as effectively as anyone on the Bats' staff. If any Bats' starter is moved to the pen, I'd like to see Lehr moved. He's done quite well in the pen before and if that makes room for Klinker to come back up, all the better.

With all due respect, I think you are looking at it from a Bats perspective and not a Reds perspective. I think most people realize that LeCure has no future on the Reds as a starter, and while he is a great starter for the Bats, they should do what will ultimately be best for the major league team and the player's major league career.

fearofpopvol1
05-05-2010, 03:31 AM
I'd like the Reds to sell high on this guy if they can while they can.

Benihana
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I'd like the Reds to sell high on this guy if they can while they can.

x2

GOYA
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
With all due respect, I think you are looking at it from a Bats perspective and not a Reds perspective. I think most people realize that LeCure has no future on the Reds as a starter, and while he is a great starter for the Bats, they should do what will ultimately be best for the major league team and the player's major league career.

Respect accepted and sent right back to you.

Can you tell me why LeCure has no future as a Reds' starter?

dougdirt
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Respect accepted and sent right back to you.

Can you tell me why LeCure has no future as a Reds' starter?

Fringy stuff and is at best, 9th or 10th on the Reds SP depth chart. Given his age, he just isn't going to get a legit shot at this point without some crazy things happening.

Joseph
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Chapman
Wood
LeCure
Maloney
Lehr

Thats how i'd rank em in terms of value to the Reds as a pitcher. I'm admittedly down on Maloney as an option. I just didn't like all the loud outs he gave up last season and his tendency not to miss bats in the bigs.

flash
05-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Where does Klinker fit into all of this. He has been outstanding everywhere he has been, yet the Reds demoted him this year.

camisadelgolf
05-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Where does Klinker fit into all of this. He has been outstanding everywhere he has been, yet the Reds demoted him this year.
The 'demotion' was merely a numbers game. The Reds have plenty of pitching depth, and Klinker--probably due to his lack of seniority--got the short end of the stick.

TRF
05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Chapman
Wood
LeCure
Maloney
Lehr

Thats how i'd rank em in terms of value to the Reds as a pitcher. I'm admittedly down on Maloney as an option. I just didn't like all the loud outs he gave up last season and his tendency not to miss bats in the bigs.

you mean in all 7 of his MLB games? where he posted a 6.2 K/9?

Bailey didn't get north of 7 K/9 until his 4th season... this season.

Maloney has missed bats his entire professional career. He's got an out pitch, and he's developed a sinker. He's going to be in someone's rotation soon. I think he'll do well.

top6
05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Fringy stuff and is at best, 9th or 10th on the Reds SP depth chart. Given his age, he just isn't going to get a legit shot at this point without some crazy things happening.

Well fortunately for Lecure, crazy things always happen to this franchise, so he should be starting in the majors by 2011.

j/k. I think. Anyway, thanks for the information, and actually all your posts in general. They are a great source of info on the Reds' minor league teams for me.

HokieRed
05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Chapman
Wood
LeCure
Maloney
Lehr

I'd put Maloney above LeCure and Lehr but below Klinker.

Will M
05-22-2010, 09:39 PM
The Reds have a couple of guys in AAA that seem to have nothing left to prove there: Lecure & Maloney.

Are they going to get a shot in Cincinnati? if not it seems like they should be moved as part of a trade. they aren't future Hall of Famers but it seems like either could be a servicable starter. i'm not sure exactly what value they have but if i was a pitching thin last place team i'd love to try either one in my rotation.

Kingspoint
05-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Should be nothing but a blast watching Louisville games right now.

Kingspoint
05-22-2010, 10:29 PM
The Reds have a couple of guys in AAA that seem to have nothing left to prove there: Lecure & Maloney.

Are they going to get a shot in Cincinnati? if not it seems like they should be moved as part of a trade. they aren't future Hall of Famers but it seems like either could be a servicable starter. i'm not sure exactly what value they have but if i was a pitching thin last place team i'd love to try either one in my rotation.

The Major League Club has been fortunate that there haven't been any injuries yet this year. A normal year, we would have already tried our 8th Starter by now. Sometimes guys just have to stay in AAA and wait.

Things always have a way of opening themselves up.

DntKnw
05-22-2010, 10:41 PM

Look at this quote from Lecure after his one-hitter tonight -

"The more economical you are, the deeper you're able to pitch in ballgames," LeCure said. "I don't project as a future ace, so I want to go out there and consistently throw 200 innings. That's a really important thing. Teams want guys like that."

Sounds like a guy looking for a trade and a shot.

mdccclxix
05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Look at this quote from Lecure after his one-hitter tonight -

"The more economical you are, the deeper you're able to pitch in ballgames," LeCure said. "I don't project as a future ace, so I want to go out there and consistently throw 200 innings. That's a really important thing. Teams want guys like that."

Sounds like a guy looking for a trade and a shot.

Yeah a trade of Harang or Arroyo would work too!

GIDP
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Im not trading Harang or Arroyo if im replacing them with Lecure. Sorry just not doing it.

HokieRed
05-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Guy's pitching himself into serious starting contention for us, IMHO. I don't see how we can just ignore what he's doing, though I've tended to think of him as somebody whose future is relief.

Kingspoint
05-22-2010, 11:24 PM
For me, Harang only has two more starts to be "blah" as a Starter. If he doesn't turn it around after that (starting in June) and start consistently posting Game Scores of 55+, I want him replaced. I don't care how.

fearofpopvol1
05-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Now more than ever is a time to sell high on LeCure. In my opinion, the guy isn't going to be a great major leaguer. I could be wrong of course.

malcontent
05-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Disappointed it wasn't Maloney.

:(