PDA

View Full Version : Juan Cruz

Phhhl
04-24-2010, 02:39 AM
I would like to see the Reds pick this guy up. The Royals thought enough of him 2 winters ago to give him a two year deal, and he was a solid middle reliever for the Snakes for a couple of years before migrating to the AL. So, I don't think enough time has elapsed to dismiss him as a potentially effective reliever. I have always liked his makeup, and as long as he still has good velocity I think he could possibly help our disentegrating bullpen situation. We just sent down Ondrusek for Fisher, and Masset has been getting torched. So, our late inning relief is in pretty dire straights right now. This could be a good pickup right now, I think. At least, a decent gamble. What do the Reds need to do to get this done? Does he need to be claimed, dealt for... etc...?

I can't believe the Royals just dumped him.

Tom Servo
04-24-2010, 03:22 AM
I think the Royals outright released him, meaning whoever wants him just has to sign him. He'll probably have his choice of teams.

Phhhl
04-24-2010, 03:48 AM
I think teams will be lining up, don't you? This guy is much better than the 11th or 12th pitcher on a staff for a ton of teams right now. I bet the Cubs jump in. Arizona too, if only because they know the guy. Qualls and Gutierrez have been getting hammered mercilessly, so you know they have a sense of desperation. Milwaukee just saw Todd Coffey get rolled, and they have no idea how they can get a close ballgame to Trevor Hoffman, who is no guarantee in his own right. Belisario and Kuo just got off the dl for a team that keeps wrecking games before it even enters Broxton's zip code, and they are carrying a rule 5 pitcher who has not reached AAA baseball and cannot hit 90 mph on the radar gun. It is foolish to think that a Juan Cruz has no value in this environment. I feel strongly enough about other areas of this team to think we may do significantly better by buttressing this troubled bullpen as soon as absolutely possible. Let's not stand around being spectators.

TheNext44
04-24-2010, 12:01 PM
He dropped off mightily last season, but seemed to have picked things up early this season. Normally, if he was released this early, I would be suspicious, but it is the Royals, so who knows.

He would be an improvement over what the Reds currently have, but one thing to consider, he walks a ton of guys. When he's good he K's a ton of guys too, but be prepared for a lot of long innings with him on the mound.

RedsManRick
04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
The guy can still miss bats, he just can't throw strikes with any reliability. I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere, but we don't need a who walks a ton and is a flyball pitcher.