PDA

View Full Version : Baker refuses post game media meeting

Ron Madden
04-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Dusty Baker refuses to meet with the media for post game interview after lack luster game today.

Don't remember any Reds Manager ever doing this.

HeatherC1212
04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't blame him. Even me, one of the more optimistic people on this board, had it with most of the Reds players during the game today and I hope he let them have it during their post game meeting. :rant:

alloverjr
04-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Dusty Baker refuses to meet with the media for post game interview after lack luster game today.

Don't remember any Reds Manager ever doing this.

Bush if you ask me. Meida has their job to do too.

I've said before, I feel sorry for Baker. This may be his last year managing and he has crap for a roster. It's got to be killing him and I would bet it starts to show outwardly.

Caveat Emperor
04-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I was at the game today -- it was like watching a tune-up game for some huge D1 football program early in the season. The Reds looked lost, mildly disinterested, and completely talent deficient. It was fairly pathetic. I'd decline to meet with the media too after a game like today.

guttle11
04-24-2010, 06:44 PM
It's ok. I've been declining to hear or read his words for many, many games now.

BoydsOfSummer
04-24-2010, 07:11 PM
It's ok. I've been declining to hear or read his words for many, many games now.

+1

jojo
04-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Given that interfacing with the media is a big part of a manager's job description, this is fairly unforgivable.

kbrake
04-24-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm sure its just his way of sending a message to his team I really don't see a problem with it. This team might not have 90 win talent but the way they have played so far has been pathetic. And while I know Dusty is far from perfect the majority of this roster has played like crap. People need demoted the teams needs to be shaken a little bit.

pedro
04-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I have no problem with it. As others said, it's a way of sending a message.

dougdirt
04-24-2010, 09:29 PM
People need demoted the teams needs to be shaken a little bit.
Problem is, the guys behind them in AAA are also looking like they need demoted 3 weeks in. Heisey isn't hitting. Neither is Frazier. Neither is Francisco. The starters in AAA all have question marks surrounding them so far or in Maloney's case, on the DL.

cumberlandreds
04-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I think Dusty knows his time is short now and doesn't really give a darn what the media or anyone else thinks. It's certanly not all his fault but he knows firing the manager is he easiest step Reds management can take to make it look like they are trying.

VR
04-24-2010, 09:52 PM
I hope it was because he was busy addressing his team....not hiding in his office drinking white zinfandel.

Ghosts of 1990
04-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I hope it was because he was busy addressing his team....not hiding in his office drinking white zinfandel.

Does Dusty like wine?

jojo
04-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Ignoring the media isn't much of a consequence.

"Either play better or I won't talk about base cloggage..."

I'm sure that'll make Phillips run out a double play ball now....

It's probably closer to the truth that Dusty has smelled this aroma before and he was in his office surfing priceline.com and wondering if he'll get a phone call before this upcoming roadtrip...

Ghosts of 1990
04-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Ignoring the media isn't much of a consequence.

"Either play better or I won't talk about base cloggage..."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Spring~Fields
04-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Maybe he was simply tired and did not feel well.

Ron Madden
04-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Given that interfacing with the media is a big part of a manager's job description, this is fairly unforgivable.

Agreed. Post game interviews are part of a Managers job.

WVRedsFan
04-25-2010, 02:54 AM
Well...

It's hard to blame Dusty at this point. I know, playing Caberra a short and Gomes in left are problems, but to tell you the truth, it's more the roster than Dusty. The pitching has been simply horrible. That has to change. No one is hitting outside of Votto and Rolen (and some spark from Hannigan and Janish). And we faced the Dodgers and Padres and they are hot. Sometimes it gets tiring to say the same thing over and over again. I've been there. My guess is that he is so disgusted that talking only makes it worse. Seeing Harang, Cueto, Bailey, and Arroyo get their rears handed to them night after night and the rookie not being spectacular is too much with the anemic offense not helping. What can you say?

It's Dusty's last stand. The Reds will soon send him out to pasture for another mistake. They'll hire another manager with the same players. Failure personified. They have placed their hopes on Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips, Lance Nix, Jonny Gomes, and others. Also Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Mike Lincoln, and others who simply are not premium MLB players (I fully admit that Bruce and Cueto have potential but that and a buck will buy you a coffee at a conveniece store).

So what is Dusty to do? I heard a guy on the radio today say that the only road to success is buying free agents. I agree. You can grow your own, but, our own simply seem clueless at the plate and on the mound. I'm no Dusty fan, but I'm giving him a break. The personnel, though better than the O'Brien and Krivsky years, is simply mediocre. That's the problem. And will continue to be for as long as I live unless they get serious and bring in some players that make a difference. They did it with Scott Rolen. They need to continue.

Ron Madden
04-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Managers often have to do things they really don't want to do.

Dusty has been avoiding a few things he needs to do. (IMHO)

redsfan1966
04-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Glad I missed today's debacle (was at OSU spring game)...I think the post game manager's musings are usually overrated and fall into cliche for the most part....however, there could be something to Dusty figuring he isnt much longer for Cincy and just figured the heck with it...

LINEDRIVER
04-25-2010, 04:07 AM
What was he afraid of? The media folks covering the Reds don't ask tough questions anyway.

GAC
04-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Does Dusty like wine?

You misspelled "whine". :cool:

This may be his last year managing and he has crap for a roster. It's got to be killing him and I would bet it starts to show outwardly.

Well...

It's hard to blame Dusty at this point.

Even as the anti-Dusty, I can easily say the blame is not entirely his. He's not out there on that playing field stinking it up.

As far as "crap for a roster" though - the manager has no influence or input (with the GM) as to who is brought in, and the construction of that roster? He is faultless?

Then I guess we need a "Fire Jocketty" thread huh? :p:

I think Baker demonstrated that he does have that kind of influence when we saw ex-Cubs like Patterson and Hairston brought in last year. And possibly even the Taveras signing. Don't know that for sure though.

I still believe that this 2010 is not a bad as they have been playing. And yeah, it's pretty bad right now.

But if a team is out on that field acting like they are "going through the motions" or in la-la land, then shouldn't that be directed at the manager and coaching staff?

Finally.... does the way this pitching staff has been performing exonerate Dick Pole to a degree? Other then veterans Harang and Arroyo, is it, with Bailey, Cueto, and Leake...

simply an issue of youth and inexperience, having to show some patience to a degree in that learning curve to see if they have what it takes to succeed at the major league level?

lack of talent to begin with?

the coaching, and methodology in how they are being taught to pitch?

And I guess we could ask the same with the hitting (plate approach) too.

Guacarock
04-25-2010, 06:33 AM
If Baker's snubbing of Fay spurs Phillips to perform, then this one managerial pique was worth its weight in gold.

If not, then we'll still be left with Fay and with Phillips, but maybe not with Dusty. I can understand his frustration.

TheNext44
04-25-2010, 10:41 AM

A much bigger part of his job description is to motivate the team to win. If he feels this is the best way to do it, I think John Fay will get over it.

And Baker not answering questions gives the media a much bigger, better and more talked about story than if he gave the standard answers to the standard questions after an embarrassing loss. Trust me the
media is loving this.

If Baker simply retreated I to his office and sulked over this loss, that's unforgivable. But as long as be used the time he wasn't talking to the media to chew out his team, that's exactly doing his job.

jojo
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
A much bigger part of his job description is to motivate the team to win. If he feels this is the best way to do it, I think John Fay will get over it.

Why are we assuming this is meant to be motivational?

TheNext44
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Why are we assuming this is meant to be motivational?

I'm not. I am also not assumng it was because he just didn't want to.

Like I said, if it was because he was tired, inexcusable, reason to be fired. But if it's because he wanted to motivate his team, he just doing his job. I won't condemn the man until I know the facts.

jojo
04-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm not. I am also not assumng it was because he just didn't want to.

Like I said, if it was because he was tired, inexcusable, reason to be fired. But if it's because he wanted to motivate his team, he just doing his job. I won't condemn the man until I know the facts.

No one is condemning him. It's a smart move for him to be surfing priceline.com.

As for motivational tactics... if this is the best he's got at this point... ruh-roh...

Also as an aside.... the best way to send the message "that acting professionally and doing your job is important and things need to change immediately" is to, uh...not do your job? That'll teach 'em!!!!!

The most likely explanation is the Reds are stinking and Dusty prefers the reporters talk about him while the Reds are in town rather then how stinky the Reds are playing (yah for Dusty). I just don't like being told that's rain hitting my leg.

Spring~Fields
04-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Even as the anti-Dusty, I can easily say the blame is not entirely his. He's not out there on that playing field stinking it up.

As far as "crap for a roster" though - the manager has no influence or input (with the GM) as to who is brought in, and the construction of that roster? He is faultless?

2003 CubsDB 88 74 .543 $ 79,868,333 2003 Reds $ 59,355,667
2004 CubsDB 89 73 .549 $ 90,560,000 2004 Reds $ 46,615,250
2005 CubsDB 79 83 .488 $ 87,032,933 2005 Reds $ 61,892,583
2006 CubsDB 66 96 .407 $ 94,424,499 2006 Reds $ 60,909,519
2008 RedsDB 74 88 .457 $ 74,117,695
2009 RedsDB 78 84 .481 $ 73,558,500
2010 RedsDB 7 11 .389 $ 71,761,542
7 Yr Total 481 509 .486 $ 571,323,502

You and I would be upset too if that was our record for the past seven years over two organizations. While we saw our record going into the tank for the past five years we managed.

Maybe the Reds ownerships needs to spend more money, though it doesnít seem to have helped the Cubs organization, except a couple of years. As Reds fans we would take a couple better years, 10 or 11 more wins would look great about now.

TheNext44
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
No one is condemning him. It's a smart move for him to be surfing priceline.com.

As for motivational tactics... if this is the best he's got at this point... ruh-roh...

Also as an aside.... the best way to send the message "that acting professionally and doing your job is important and things need to change immediately" is to, uh...not do your job? That'll teach 'em!!!!!

The most likely explanation is the Reds are stinking and Dusty prefers the reporters talk about him while the Reds are in town rather then how stinky the Reds are playing (yah for Dusty). I just don't like being told that's rain hitting my leg.

considering how much Dusty loves talking about anything, and considering how he has always been one of the most accessable managers in the game, I'm betting that he wasn't running away from tough questions.

westofyou
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
When he does it for a whole series let me know, otherwise much to do about nothing, this isn't the NFL, the managers are not required to talk to the press post game.

jojo
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
considering how much Dusty loves talking about anything, and considering how he has always been one of the most accessable managers in the game, I'm betting that he wasn't running away from tough questions.

Cincy's media doesn't ask tough questions so that's not the point.

Roy Tucker
04-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I'd like for Dusty to talk to the media after the game so we paying fans get to hear what Dusty thinks of what's going on. Even if its a very watered-down version of it.

But its not the end of the world and not a big deal if its a one-time thing. If it goes on for a while, then I'll beef.

I don't think it was a motivational thing. I can't quite see the connection. Moreso, he was just hacked off and disgusted as to what he saw and didn't think it would be constructive to talk to the media. I can understand that.

yab1112
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't become a recurring thing, and there's no reason to suspect it will.

I understand it's his responsibility to talk to the media but it's really not such a big deal if he skips one post game every once in a blue moon - especially if, in his eyes, it's for the benefit of the team.

UKFlounder
04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Dusty explains why he skipped it and apologizes.

Sorry about yesterday. I donít like to talk when Iím angry,Ē Baker said.

More at the link:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100425/SPT04/304250034/1055/NEWS/Dusty+tells+media+he+s+sorry+for+Saturday+s+snub

westofyou
05-01-2010, 01:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5148731

Mistakes in today's game are as common as 4-3 ground outs, and they're not always accompanied by consequence. It is the frequent refrain of veteran managers and instructors every day: Young players today are bigger, stronger, faster and more talented than ever, but some of them, if not a majority, don't know how to play the game.

Never was that more clear than Saturday, a day that normally would have set the game back 20 years, but sadly, that day has happened many times in the past 20 years. Here's what the Cincinnati Reds did: In the bottom of the third inning, pitcher Johnny Cueto, who was on first base, thought the third out had been made at first base, so he jogged around second and was tagged out halfway to third. In the next inning, baserunner Brandon Phillips was caught leaning off first by San Diego Padres pitcher Wade LeBlanc. The next inning, the same thing happened to the Reds' Jonny Gomes. The next inning, Reds center fielder Drew Stubbs forgot how many outs there were, and, after catching a fly ball for the second out of the sixth inning, threw the ball into the stands. Four straight innings, four mental errors. After the game, Dusty Baker, the Reds' old-school manager, closed the clubhouse door and screamed at his team.

VR
05-01-2010, 01:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5148731

Saw that today, as my brother sent it to me. The last 10 years has been tough to not only follow the Reds, but to endure the heckling of my family and friends who know I am a die hard.

I do like the fact that they've been on a 4.5 game winning streak since said meeting.

WVRedsFan
05-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Saw that today, as my brother sent it to me. The last 10 years has been tough to not only follow the Reds, but to endure the heckling of my family and friends who know I am a die hard.

I do like the fact that they've been on a 4.5 game winning streak since said meeting.
It's funny how trivial things like following a sports team can change your attitude and your day. They say I was a fan from birth and my mother once told me that Dad held me on his knee when I was a baby while listening to Waite Hoyt on the radio. My destiny was following the Reds apparently. The years since the Griffey acquisition have been tough. Following that soap opera here with Gallagher and others who constantly heckled the Reds and gloried in their demise was a little much. Then there was the lost decade where losing was the rule rather than the exception. Wearing my Reds hat to my son's high school baseball games was a challenge (I won't repeat what I was told about the Reds not being a real baseball team). Every loss cut to my soul and I got bitter and posted stuff here I'm embarrassed about. Boone, Narron, Miley--just cut at my heart. Seeing Uncle Carl take this team to new lows with players that shouldn't even wear a MLB uniform. It made me hate to be a Reds fan on the surface, but still in my heart, i couldn't look away. As much as it hurt.

I still think this team has too much garbarge on it. I still feel like we are too cheap and don't spend our money wisely, but I have to feel we're heading in the right direction. Dusty drives me nuts, but he's better than many managers. For once, I feel confident. Now if we just beat the flipping Pirates. That sticks in my craw.