PDA

View Full Version : Baseball is weird

Hoosier Red
04-26-2010, 10:42 AM
The Pirates sweep the Reds before losing six consecutive, including being outscored 38-1 by the Brewers who were then swept by the Cubs and were outscored 25-4.

The Reds went 3-3 on a homestand even though they were outscored 47-34

Every team in the NL is between 11-7 and 7-11.

Falls City Beer
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
The Pirates sweep the Reds before losing six consecutive, including being outscored 38-1 by the Brewers who were then swept by the Cubs and were outscored 25-4.

The Reds went 3-3 on a homestand even though they were outscored 47-34

Brewers, Pirates, Cubs, Reds have a lot of complementary weaknesses. All are of the same ilk. In a division that is generally weak, this is a particularly soft bunch.

LincolnparkRed
04-26-2010, 11:12 AM
The cards are and will be the class of this division until one of the other 5 decides to put it together in more than one area

Brewers hit / no pitching
Cubs older regressing players as a core
Pirates lots of young talented guys who will show flashes
Astros really have Berkman and nothing else but still can be dangerous to other teams

then there is the Reds, bad pitching, weak hitting too many mental errors but only a few games out.

will be an interesting summer

Spring~Fields
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
The cards are and will be the class of this division until one of the other 5 decides to put it together in more than one area

Brewers hit / no pitching
Cubs older regressing players as a core
Pirates lots of young talented guys who will show flashes
Astros really have Berkman and nothing else but still can be dangerous to other teams

then there is the Reds, bad pitching, weak hitting too many mental errors but only a few games out.

will be an interesting summer

Victory by default, the new paradigm shift in Reds baseball. If you can’t rise to their levels, join them and beat them, hope for them to falter and fall so that the Reds might be able to claim the conciliation prize, king of the bottom feeders after all, a decade of champions.

Too many mental errors that brought and manifested the bad pitching and weak hitting.

The mental errors, various and many cumulative, from the front office to the players on the field and especially in between is the weakest element in the list above. Those mental errors if not adapted, adjusted and modified will show their value and weight at the end of another 162 games gone by and carry over.

westofyou
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
"Baseball is Heaven's gift to mortals."

George Will

macro
04-26-2010, 12:37 PM

I hadn't had the heart to even look at the standings for a few days, so I was surprised to find out that the Reds are only 3.5 games from having the best record in the National League.

:party:

Tornon
04-26-2010, 11:36 PM
I guess the Brewers own the Pirates.. 17-2 today in the 8th

Brutus
04-26-2010, 11:40 PM

Yeah that's amazing. They now lead the season series 53-3.

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2010, 11:40 PM

The Brewers have outscored the Pirates 53-3 in four games this season. Wow.

dougdirt
04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Twitter stat of the day:
Brewers are +50 against Pittsburgh and -35 against the rest of the league.

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
It's sickening to think the Reds got swept by the Pirates, with two of the losses being walkoffs. Win just one of those games and the Reds are only one game under .500 instead of three.

Brutus
04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
It's sickening to think the Reds got swept by the Pirates, with two of the losses being walkoffs. Win just one of those games and the Reds are only one game under .500 instead of three.

Even the best teams have an occasional series like that. The trick is to not let it become the norm. Every baseball team, the Pirates against Brewers excluded apparently, is capable of sweeping a series against another team. It's disappointing, but sickening is probably not a fair adjective.

Sea Ray
04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Too many mental errors that brought and manifested the bad pitching and weak hitting.

That seems to describe the Astros from what I've seen so far. If Berkman's not hitting they're a bad team. I'm not impressed and I wonder how long George and Barbara Bush can continue to watch it...