PDA

View Full Version : Go ahead and lock up Votto now... Howard just made 1b pretty 'spensive...

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Unreal deal for Howard just announced... If I was the Reds F.O. I'd be trying to take care of Votto now before it EVER comes close to that...

By Bailey Stephens / MLB.com

04/26/10 2:29 PM ET

First baseman Ryan Howard has signed a five-year contract extension with a sixth-year club option with the Phillies that could take him through the 2017 season, the team announced on Monday.

The deal guarantees Howard $125 million over five years and could reach $138 million over six years.

The five-year extension will pay Howard $20 million in each of the 2012 and 2013 seasons and $25 million per year from 2014-16. The club option is worth $23 million with a $10 million buyout. The extension includes awards bonuses and a limited no-trade provision.

blumj
04-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Wow, I was really, really, wrong about what it should take for the Phillies to lock Howard up now. He looked to me like the guy in the upcoming big free agent 1B class most likely to wind up having to settle for something in between DH and 1B money, and this sure isn't that.

Brutus
04-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow, I was really, really, wrong about what it should take for the Phillies to lock Howard up now. He looked to me like the guy in the upcoming big free agent 1B class most likely to wind up having to settle for something in between DH and 1B money, and this sure isn't that.

Honestly, I see this as a contract they will regret in 3-5 years. For as good as Howard is, he strikes me as a player that will suffer rapid decline in the near future. I'm sure he'll continue to hit home runs for a while, but I can see the strikeouts going way up and walks going way down as his body ages.

Tom Servo
04-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Phillies will definatly regret it 2-3 years from now.

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Honestly, I see this as a contract they will regret in 3-5 years. For as good as Howard is, he strikes me as a player that will suffer rapid decline in the near future. I'm sure he'll continue to hit home runs for a while, but I can see the strikeouts going way up and walks going way down as his body ages.

And he's not exactly as young as you would think... I don't think he made it to the majors until what? 26?

Caveat Emperor
04-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Phillies will definatly regret it 2-3 years from now.

They're winning, they're in a new ballpark, they're in one of the larger media markets, and they're selling lots of tickets.

Really -- the Phillies should be considered in the same breath as the Yankees, Sox, Mets, Dodgers, etc. They've got the cash to make deals like this and not worry about 3 years down the road.

And, if he continues to be productive at current levels for 3 of the 5 years before starting his decline, I imagine they'd be completely content with that.

RedsManRick
04-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Including depreciation ($25M in 2015 is worth less than $25M in 2010), that deal pegs him at something like a 5 win player on average over that contract. Considering he's exceeded 5 wins just once (2006), is on the wrong side of 30 and has a body type that doesn't age well, I'd say the Phils overpaid a bit.

However, the name of the game is production, not efficiency. And that sort of production is hard to replace, even if you have the money to do so.

LoganBuck
04-26-2010, 03:14 PM
OMG, What will Albert Pujols sign for?

Brutus
04-26-2010, 03:18 PM
And he's not exactly as young as you would think... I don't think he made it to the majors until what? 26?

Yeup. He turned 30 this offseason.

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM

4billion

RedsManRick
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM

I'd guess 8/240. Crazy to think he's 2 months younger than Howard but broke in to the league 5 years earlier.

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Cards fans seem to think they can get him at 27-28/year... I'm not so sure...

fearofpopvol1
04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Too early to lockup Votto in my opinion...but maybe sometime in the summer or toward the end of the season I would if he continues to do what he's done and doesn't go on the DL.

Ghosts of 1990
04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Our front office is terrible about this. And I don't get it. The last guy they locked up 'long-term' was like Brandon Phillips and that wasn't a true LTC.

Guys like Dunn and Votto should have been taken care of when the time came. That time for Joey Votto is now.

Brutus
04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Too early to lockup Votto in my opinion...but maybe sometime in the summer or toward the end of the season I would if he continues to do what he's done and doesn't go on the DL.

He's eligible for arbitration after the season. No reason not to start now.

fearofpopvol1
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
He's eligible for arbitration after the season. No reason not to start now.

Is it really wise to pony up a big salary if he hits the DL in a few weeks? I'd like to see him play for a few months at least without any DL trips before significant money is shelled out.

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Is it really wise to pony up a big salary if he hits the DL in a few weeks? I'd like to see him play for a few months at least without any DL trips before significant money is shelled out.

because his injury history is scaring you?

Ghosts of 1990
04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
What happened to the days of showing your other young players that if you are successful, and you are young and part of the future; you'll be rewarded? Where did that get lost in our franchise?

That happens virtually everywhere but us and Pittsburgh. I'll also put Oakland in there as well.

Brutus
04-26-2010, 04:26 PM

An extension does not have to mean he gets paid big money right away. It could start next year, it could start the year after. Either way, if the Reds believe this guy is the future of the franchise at that position, or at least, 1B or LF - one of the two - then lock him up now for much cheaper than market price, buy out arbitration and get him as a fixture for the next several years.

Always Red
04-26-2010, 04:33 PM

I agree; given his history, I wait and see how he does this year before committing to huge dollars. At least through half the season.

I love Joey, but he has a track record. If I am running the Reds, I think it's best to see if he is healthy, or if he turns into Khalil Greene.

blumj
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
The longer you wait, the more it costs.

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Prime example... Evan Longoria.

RedsManRick
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM

True, but that's not just a function of time. The earlier you sign the deal, the less evidence you have that the player will earn the money you're about to pay him. Additionally, that money is guaranteed no matter what. If the player gets hit by a bus, you still owe him the money.

Though there is certainly a lot of value to be had with these types of contracts. Let's not ignore, or merely underestimate the downside possibilities -- and one could argue that you stand to lose a lot more than you stand to gain.

Is saving a few million bucks each year worth the possibility of losing 10's of millions? I think it's rare that a player is signed to a Longoria like contract where the upside value so clearly dwarfs the downside risk.

Do the Diamondbacks still think CF Chris Young worth 5 years/$28M? How about the better Joey Votto comp, OF Nick Markakis at 6 years/$66M. Imagine if the Reds went long term with Austin Kearns in early 2004 before he got sat on by Fat Toad.

Short of a true superstar, no-weakness type guy like Longoria, I'd hesitate to commit big dollars to anybody with just 1 great season under their belt. If Votto puts up another .900ish OPS this year, I'd start looking at that 5-6 year deal. But let's say he hits .280/.370/.460. How would you feel about a big contract then?

osuceltic
04-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Not if he's Sean Casey or Austin Kearns. Everyone wanted a Vegas wedding with those two as well. Sometimes long engagements are a good thing.

KronoRed
04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Except the Reds DID give Sean Casey a ton of cash and a long term deal.

TheNext44
04-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Concerning the Howard deal.

It really is a huge overpay, but then again so was the Ibanez deal and the worked out great for them. And the Polanco deal seems like an overpay, and that is working out so far. I think RMR hit it on the head. The Phillies don't have to worry about being smart with their money, they just have to worry about getting the right players.

HokieRed
04-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Best argument I've seen for not trading Alonso.

fearofpopvol1
04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
because his injury history is scaring you?

What he went through last year, while i'm sympathetic to on a personal level, was kind of scary as a Reds fan. I truly hope and I'm even optimistic that it was an anomaly, but I'd like to see it play out one more season. As RMR states...I'd like for him to have another great season before we shell out big(ger) bucks.

Chip R
04-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Who has an easier job than Pujols' agent?

I think that's fine that the Phils signed Howard to that extension. It just means StL is either going to have to pay Pujols way more than that and they won't have as much to spend on other players or he's going to leave StL.

And I'd re-sign Votto if he put up some seasons like Howard and Pujols have. I love Joey but he has to produce consistently like a top level player to get paid like one.

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Who has an easier job than Pujols' agent?

I think that's fine that the Phils signed Howard to that extension. It just means StL is either going to have to pay Pujols way more than that and they won't have as much to spend on other players or he's going to leave StL.

And I'd re-sign Votto if he put up some seasons like Howard and Pujols have. I love Joey but he has to produce consistently like a top level player to get paid like one.

Nobody said you have to pay him like a top level player... BUT... The longer you go without locking him up long-term, and the more he develops, the more expensive he becomes...

Chip R
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Nobody said you have to pay him like a top level player... BUT... The longer you go without locking him up long-term, and the more he develops, the more expensive he becomes...

Good thing we didn't lock Kearns up long term.

Will M
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
comps for Mr Howard: Mo Vaughn & David Ortiz. IMO this extension is not only bad it is colossally bad. Heck, add a couple pounds and his swing gets just a little slow and by the end of his current deal in 2011 he could be on the downhill slide.

klw
04-26-2010, 09:49 PM
And somewhere Adrian Gonzalez's accountant read of this signing and smiled and the odds he (gonzalez not the accountant) gets traded just went up.

kaldaniels
04-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I've just finally come around to the fact that you just can't get too attached to any of these young players...especially the good ones.

If the Reds were sensible (this won't be popular) they need to trade Joey Votto for 2 or 3 Joey Votto-type prospects in 2 or 3 years. Then hope one of them blooms into Votto V2.0.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Sorry, but with the Reds payroll discrepancies between them and the Cards/Cubs...they will have to operate this way to compete on a semi-regular basis.

So I say ride Votto as far as they can afford him (I wouldn't get too caught up in just buying out arb years), than ship him out for a good return.

Ron Madden
04-27-2010, 04:00 AM
I love everything about Joey Votto but I also have my doubts about the present braintrust of this organization. This may sound silly but I really wouldn't trust their judgement with any long term decisions.

Homer Bailey
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I think that what makes this more interesting is what happens to Jayson Werth. I've said for years that the Reds should be targeting him, and I'd love to see them sign him, although I severely doubt they will.

Ghosts of 1990
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I've just finally come around to the fact that you just can't get too attached to any of these young players...especially the good ones.

If the Reds were sensible (this won't be popular) they need to trade Joey Votto for 2 or 3 Joey Votto-type prospects in 2 or 3 years. Then hope one of them blooms into Votto V2.0.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Personally I don't like this thinking. It's bad for the game.

What happened to the days of keeping a guy who came up through your system that delivers at the MLB level? I hate organizations that don't let their fan base get attached to a player because they ship everyone out when it's time to pay the piper a fair amount. I feel that in the case of a Votto or a Bruce or a Stubbs if they pan out you do what it takes to keep them and build around them.

It drives long time fans away I think. Just my two cents. When you have a sure bird in the hand it's foolish to trade for two or even three maybes because as we've seen the maybes rarely pan out.

kaldaniels
04-27-2010, 12:55 PM

What happened to the days of keeping a guy who came up through your system that delivers at the MLB level? I hate organizations that don't let their fan base get attached to a player because they ship everyone out when it's time to pay the piper a fair amount. I feel that in the case of a Votto or a Bruce or a Stubbs if they pan out you do what it takes to keep them and build around them.

It drives long time fans away I think. Just my two cents. When you have a sure bird in the hand it's foolish to trade for two or even three maybes because as we've seen the maybes rarely pan out.

It drives me crazy too. But if Votto,Leake,Chapman,et al. all pan out Cincy can't afford them all. I'd love to keep all our homegrown stars...but if ownership doesn't increase payroll...not possible.

Caveat Emperor
04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
If this deal sets the value for Howard at $25m per, then you have to assume that Pujols is going to be expecting significantly more money than that -- possibly up in the $28-$30m per range.

If that's the case, can we be expecting the Cardinals to sell off Pujols at the deadline to try and bring back something from him before he runs off to the Bronx this offseason?

Brutus
04-27-2010, 01:13 PM
If this deal sets the value for Howard at $25m per, then you have to assume that Pujols is going to be expecting significantly more money than that -- possibly up in the $28-$30m per range.

If that's the case, can we be expecting the Cardinals to sell off Pujols at the deadline to try and bring back something from him before he runs off to the Bronx this offseason?

Everyone assumes the Yankees will get him, but they have Teixeira so they're unlikely to pay that kind of money for someone they don't necessarily need (not that they don't have precedent for doing so).

But what about the Mets? They have a nice, cozy first base spot that is unoccupied by anyone of consequence. I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Pujols with all their might. Ike Davis is most certainly replaceable, as is Daniel Murphy.

Chip R
04-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Everyone assumes the Yankees will get him, but they have Teixeira so they're unlikely to pay that kind of money for someone they don't necessarily need (not that they don't have precedent for doing so).

But what about the Mets? They have a nice, cozy first base spot that is unoccupied by anyone of consequence. I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Pujols with all their might. Ike Davis is most certainly replaceable, as is Daniel Murphy.

They could just sign Pujols and have him be the world's most expensive DH. Or put him at 1st and trade Teixeira for spare parts.

In reality, there are only going to be a few teams that will even be able to afford to get him. I think he's going to have to accept a below market deal to stay in StL. Probably a little more than what Howard is making. He's going to get a lot of heat from the Players' Association if he does that but he may like StL that much. While StL brings in quite a bit of revenue, it's a finite amount compared to the Yankees, Sox and Mets. Carpenter and Wainwright are going to get paid and Holliday is already getting paid a lot. La Russa's no spring chicken anymore and he may up and retire one of these years taking Duncan with him. StL may have to make a decision on players to keep if they re-sign Pujols. Perhaps they trade Holliday. They can only increase their ticket prices so much since they are in the Midwest and draw regionally.

KronoRed
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM

It sure is but it's MLB today, teams like the Reds hang out in the bottom feeder area, they need luck and a lot of cheap young players to win anything, that can't buy it or hold onto it when it becomes expensive.

Will M
04-27-2010, 06:14 PM
I think this deal is worse news for the Cards (Pujols) & the Brewers (Fielder) than the Reds.

#1 Joey is our best player but it is not clear yet if he is going to be in the elite class or just very good

#2 he is further from free agency than those guys

#3 i don't see Joey as the super greedy Boras client type. plus the team has some goodwill in the way they treated him last year.

HokieRed
04-27-2010, 10:25 PM
The hard question is going to be how much do you pay Joey for the difference he'll provide versus the alternatives. You can think of this in comparison to Alonso, for instance, but also just in relation to what you can get in the market at 1b--say a Jorge Cantu, just to pick a name. No doubt Votto's better, but how much better? And how much are you willing to pay for that difference knowing that the amount of money involved cannot be spent on other priorities? Personally I'm very dubious about a team like the Reds spending a high number on a first baseman because I think you can always get pretty good productivity there for comparatively little. Fortunately I think Alonso will make this decision relatively easy.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Philly way overpaid on this. What they failed to realize is that in 2012...Adrian Gonzalez, Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Howard were all due to become free agents. And the Yankees would not have been bidding on any of them (at least most likely). They set the market for themselves when they didn't have to.

redsmetz
04-28-2010, 08:10 AM
comps for Mr Howard: Mo Vaughn & David Ortiz. IMO this extension is not only bad it is colossally bad. Heck, add a couple pounds and his swing gets just a little slow and by the end of his current deal in 2011 he could be on the downhill slide.

But you leave out Willie McCovey and Fred McGriff. Looking at the list of comparable players, it's a coin toss.

Looking at Howard's contract history, he won his first year of arbitration (2008 - $10M), and then signed a three year deal avoiding arbitration 2009. That contract was $54M with next year @ $20M. This extension carries that $20M over 2012 & 2013, then a $5M raise for the ensuing three years. It drops to an option year of $23M or a $10M buyout.

Certainly some players similar to Howard have declined considerably over this period, but some haven't.

I wouldn't characterize this deal for the Phillies as "unreal." It's strikes me as about what the market calls for.

As for Votto, I understand what folks are saying about locking him up, but if we follow Howard's history, it's a little premature, although there is something to be said to locking up a star player at an advantageous rate.

Roy Tucker
04-28-2010, 08:25 AM

i.e. don't name your farm animals.

westofyou
04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Utterly ridiculous contract, just brutal

blumj
04-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't know if anyone else will find this interesting, but the Phillies payroll obligations for 2011 are now already just a few million shy of their 2010 OD payroll, and they are supposedly working on extending Werth as well.

osuceltic
04-28-2010, 11:17 AM
It probably is a bad contract, but you have to consider the big picture. By all accounts, Howard wasn't settling for any kind of hometown discount. In fact, he had made it clear he expected a landmark contract. Part of his reasoning is that the Phillies kept him in the minors so long; thus he's only getting one shot at the big contract.

Anyway, the Phillies had two choices. Pay him or let him walk. This is a team built to compete for World Series championships over the next three years -- but not with some relpacement-level guy at 1B. If they win another World Series with a happy Howard, the deal is worth it -- even if he's struggling on a non-contender four or five years from now. If they win two, it's an absolute bargain.

Sometimes overpaying is just the cost of doing business. Let's put it this way -- I'd rather overpay for Ryan Howard and go for it than order off the budget menu and hope for .500.

bucksfan2
04-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Sometimes overpaying is just the cost of doing business. Let's put it this way -- I'd rather overpay for Ryan Howard and go for it than order off the budget menu and hope for .500.

The issue becomes is it better to overpay for Howard or go after a guy like Pena, Gonzales, or Fielder in free agency?

hebroncougar
04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
The issue becomes is it better to overpay for Howard or go after a guy like Pena, Gonzales, or Fielder in free agency?

Where you'll overpay for their services as well................even moreso in free agency.

bucksfan2
04-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Where you'll overpay for their services as well................even moreso in free agency.

I don't see either of Gonzales, Pena, or Fielder being paid the 2nd highest contract in MLB.

dougdirt
04-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Overpay for a younger guy. Always (assuming similar skillsets).

WVRed
04-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I remember when Philly overpaid for Jim Thome in his latter years. He broke down in the middle of the contract, was replaced by the same Ryan Howard, and was ultimately shipped off to the ChiSox.

osuceltic
04-28-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't see either of Gonzales, Pena, or Fielder being paid the 2nd highest contract in MLB.

They aren't as good as Howard, either. The minute you start down that "he's not quite as good, but he's cheaper" path, you end up where the Reds are.

I'm not saying you have to go Red Sox/Yankees and spend like drunken sailors, but when you find a guy you love, who is a perfect fit for your team, and you have a team in position to win the whole thing -- don't screw it up by going cheap.

dougdirt
04-28-2010, 01:17 PM
They aren't as good as Howard, either. The minute you start down that "he's not quite as good, but he's cheaper" path, you end up where the Reds are.

I'm not saying you have to go Red Sox/Yankees and spend like drunken sailors, but when you find a guy you love, who is a perfect fit for your team, and you have a team in position to win the whole thing -- don't screw it up by going cheap.

Adrian Gonzalez and Prince Fielder are every bit as good as Ryan Howard, if not better.

bucksfan2
04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Adrian Gonzalez and Prince Fielder are every bit as good as Ryan Howard, if not better.

Of that bunch I would rank Gonzales #1, Fielder #2, Howard #3, and Pena #4. I actually think Howard is an over rated ball player and think if Gonzales would play in a hitters ball park or in a better offensive lineup he would be an absolute monster.

osuceltic
04-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Fielder is close, but apparently carries more than a little baggage. Gonzalez, we'll have to agree to disagree on -- I think Howard is the better player.

nate
04-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Verily. I'm not sure it's even close either. I think over the past three years or so, it's:

Gonzales
Fielder

Howard

Fielder is the best hitter out of them. Howard is the best fielder and Gonzales is the best all-around.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2010, 03:19 PM
You're forgetting that Pujols might be available too. No guarantees he'll sign an extension without testing FA, though he might. I think 8 years/$30M per (maybe even less) would have gotten it done with Pujols BEFORE the Howard contract, which they could definitely afford. Can you imagine how ridiculous the Phillies would've been if they had landed Pujols?!?

bucksfan2
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Fielder is close, but apparently carries more than a little baggage. Gonzalez, we'll have to agree to disagree on -- I think Howard is the better player.

While I don't necessarily like OPS+ it is useful in comparing these two because Howard plays in an extreme hitters park while Gonzales plays in an extreme pitchers park.

Gonzales OPS+
2009 166
2008 139
2007 126

Howard OPS+
2009 140
2008 124
2007 144

Throw in the fact that Gonzales has won the last two GG it should swing the debate as well. I think Howard is living off of reputation more and more these days. Since his MVP season of 2006 it looks like the league has made adjustments and Howard hasn't come close to putting up those types of numbers again. To me Howard is a slightly better version of Adam Dunn at the plate. He has more HR's as well as better OBP guys in front of him to get him more RBI's. Walks and K's are the same he just plays on a vastly superior team and gets the job done in the clutch, if there is such a thing.

Will M
04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
But you leave out Willie McCovey and Fred McGriff. Looking at the list of comparable players, it's a coin toss.

Looking at Howard's contract history, he won his first year of arbitration (2008 - $10M), and then signed a three year deal avoiding arbitration 2009. That contract was $54M with next year @ $20M. This extension carries that $20M over 2012 & 2013, then a $5M raise for the ensuing three years. It drops to an option year of $23M or a $10M buyout.

Certainly some players similar to Howard have declined considerably over this period, but some haven't.

I wouldn't characterize this deal for the Phillies as "unreal." It's strikes me as about what the market calls for.

As for Votto, I understand what folks are saying about locking him up, but if we follow Howard's history, it's a little premature, although there is something to be said to locking up a star player at an advantageous rate.

by comps i am thinking of the 'heavy set' 1rst baseman who gains a couple of pounds or a couple of years & goes quickly downhill. McGriff was always in good shape. I don't know about McCovey.

Howard will be 32 years old when the contract starts. i just think this has disaster written all over it for Phillies fans.

westofyou
04-30-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/13319072/leave-it-to-the-fools-to-question-howards-extension

Naturally, people think this was a stupid move.

The Phillies aren't stupid. People are. People like Keith Law of ESPN.com, and anyone out there who thinks like Law --

Tom Servo
04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Didn't Ned Colletti say something similar to the critics when he signed Juan Pierre to a $44 million dollar deal? Not saying they're the same situation, but the 'baseball people are always right and you're wrong' arguement is incredibly lame.

blumj
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I've never once heard Ryan Howard compared to Jorge Posada or Paul Konerko, neither of whom I've ever seen described as being worth $20+M a year, either. And every young star in MLB has to wait to get paid big, I wonder why the MLBPA goes along with that?

kaldaniels
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I've never once heard Ryan Howard compared to Jorge Posada or Paul Konerko, neither of whom I've ever seen described as being worth $20+M a year, either. And every young star in MLB has to wait to get paid big, I wonder why the MLBPA goes along with that?

I would guess that the MLBPA has a heavy veteran influence on it and they are looking out just for themselves. If the youngins salary goes up...guess whose drops.