PDA

View Full Version : Reds need a manager with some FIRE in their BELLY!

alexad
04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I think what the Reds need is a manager who spits fire. Dusty is a nice guy, not an emotional in your face type of guy. Just look at the history of the Reds and notice when the manager is a Wuss, we get a Wussy team. When there is FIRE, the teams goes after them.

Jack M was a fire pistol, Reds win, Johnson was hard nosed with fire and the Reds won, LOU well we know how he is and the Reds won it all. Sparky Anderson was fire and guts and the Reds won all the time. Even Johnny Mac had fire in his eyes in 79 and the Reds were winning.

Too much baby footing has taken place since Jack took us to the playoffs. WHo do you remember the most as manager, Boone or Jack. Narron or Johnny Mac.

We have to go out and get a a guy with passion and not afraid to go get him and get in your face with attitude.

Any suggestions on who this person might be? It does not have to be a big name. Just some Heart, Soul, Passion and Attitude.

Homer Bailey
04-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Reds need good baseball players.

dougdirt
04-27-2010, 12:18 AM

And smart people making baseball decisions who understand that you can't win playing the game like it was played in the 1970s (for the most part).

Homer Bailey
04-27-2010, 12:22 AM
And smart people making baseball decisions who understand that you can't win playing the game like it was played in the 1970s (for the most part).

I'm the biggest Dusty hater around, and want him gone for sure. But I don't think anyone could win with this team.

REDblooded
04-27-2010, 12:32 AM
I think there are a LOT of obvious decisions that would certainly enhance the squads prospects though... Phillips not hitting in the 4 hole is one... Moving Bruce up (probably to 2) is another... Being flexible with the lead-off role, proper management of the staff... I could go on.

dougdirt
04-27-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm the biggest Dusty hater around, and want him gone for sure. But I don't think anyone could win with this team.

Win or go to the playoffs? I think some guys could win (83-84 wins). Don't think anyone is taking the team as constructed today to the playoffs though.

Eric_the_Red
04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Ray Knight had some fire, right? Let's bring him back since the first go round worked so well.

kaldaniels
04-27-2010, 12:38 AM
I think there are a LOT of obvious decisions that would certainly enhance the squads prospects though... Phillips not hitting in the 4 hole is one... Moving Bruce up (probably to 2) is another... Being flexible with the lead-off role, proper management of the staff... I could go on.

"Enhance" is a vague term. What lineup changes would you do, and how many runs would it be worth. What staff changes would you do, and what do you suppose the bottom line would be for this team.

Given the way everyone on the team has played so far, the Reds could have had the perfect lineup and perfect pitching rotation/bullpen use, and they'd still be sub-500.

Baseball is a very individualized game when it is all said and done...very few players involved in each play for the most part. When your pitchers have the 15th best ERA and your batters are 12th or worse in most categories...you are going to have a losing team.

pedro
04-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Screaming is not a solution to anything.

dougdirt
04-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Screaming is not a solution to anything.

What is the problem is that the person you are trying to talk to is far and can't hear you at a normal vocal range and getting closer to them is not an option?

savafan
04-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Lee Elia... is he still alive?

westofyou
04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Vern Rapp had fire, Don Hefner had fire, sometimes that's all they have.

How about a smart manager over one who thinks he can intimidate guys making more money in a year than said manager has probably made in his whole life.

KronoRed
04-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Lou's fire didn't do much for Tampa Bay.

This Reds team needs a guy who can nurture young guys, no not the AAA guy, maybe a player Development guru.

Captain Hook
04-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Win or go to the playoffs? I think some guys could win (83-84 wins). Don't think anyone is taking the team as constructed today to the playoffs though.

I agree with this.A good manager could get this team over .500.It would take some luck or a major addition to the roster to get to 90 wins and the playoffs.

Slyder
04-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Lou's fire didn't do much for Tampa Bay.

This Reds team needs a guy who can nurture young guys, no not the AAA guy, maybe a player Development guru.

I agree with Krono in this. :thumbup:

Tom Servo
04-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Does Bob Boone have fire?

dougdirt
04-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Does Bob Boone have fire?

He has been fired.... is that the same thing?

VR
04-27-2010, 01:54 AM
C'mon now, Dusty is as animated and fired up as an manager since Sparky.

Topcat
04-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Rick Sweet?:confused:

Ron Madden
04-27-2010, 04:28 AM
I'd rather have a guy with brains in his head than a guy with fire in his belly.

;)

Ltlabner
04-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Fire in the belly? What the hell does that even mean?

Try talent on the field and proper talent evaluation in the FO first. Then worry about whether the manager beats up sinks or not.

Roy Tucker
04-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Piniella isn't having such great luck with the Cubs.

I'd rather have intensity and intelligence and consistency instead of an occasional overturned buffet table and red face.

mbgrayson
04-27-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd rather have a guy with brains in his head than a guy with fire in his belly.

;)

Me too.

Besides, I think that they have cured the 'fire in the belly' thing.
So many good, new drugs for heartburn....

klw
04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Well Larry Bowa won like ten straight manager of the year awards so the the fire in the belly approach works well. Meanwhile all those docile Minnesota managers just stink.

Let's give Dusty time but change his diet. For breakfast, an orange and a breakfast burrito (extra spicy), with refried beans on the side. For lunch, Cabbage soup, baked beans, a V-8 enriched with Fiber, an early dinner of spicy Saag Paneer and lentils on the side with milk two days past expiration. Dusty will have a serious case of fire in the belly. No one will want to come into the dugout and greater plate patience and baseclogging will result.

nate
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
No amount of fire (or belly) is going to make the 2010 Reds win more games.

The Reds need players with some TALENT in their BODIES!

flyer85
04-27-2010, 09:40 AM
:thumbup::thumbup:

Redsfan320
04-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Jim Tracy? He's emotional, and seems to know how to win. The Rox are a mix of young and old, really.

reds1869
04-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Jim Tracy? He's emotional, and seems to know how to win. The Rox are a mix of young and old, really.

He's also a local (and my wife's cousin, coincidentally). A move back to Cincinnati might be really appealing.

dfs
04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Jack M was a fire pistol, Reds win, Johnson was hard nosed with fire and the Reds won, LOU well we know how he is and the Reds won it all. Sparky Anderson was fire and guts and the Reds won all the time. Even Johnny Mac had fire in his eyes in 79 and the Reds were winning.

Really?

I don't remember Jack M as being a fire pistol. He seemed to come across as a clowning old grandfather to me.

Davey Johnson was all smiles.

Lou, I'll give you Lou.

Johnny Mac was 34-58 in 82. Vern Rapp was known for his fire and 51-70 doesn't sound good to me. Heck Ray Knight was a noted red a** who got in fights with his players and with the exception of Bob Boone, Knight was the worst manager ...well pretty much ever.

We must just have different memories.

westofyou
04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Ray Knight and Mike Morgan provided fire, John McNamera was a quiet guy who in the end of his career was lauded by Bill James as one of the most over rated skippers out there.
ones memory is a funny thing.

TRF
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
How is yelling going to get Cabrera to regain the steps he's lost?

Will fire suddenly make Stubbs and Dickerson hit?

Will intimidation make Harang into his 2006 self?

Will it make Bailey into an ace, return Cueto to his 2009 first half form?

Will it make BP understand the value of a walk, will it make him hit RH's?

Will staring down Gomes make him less of a butcher in the field? will it get his bat going?

notice a trend here?

reds44
04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Let me be the first one to suggest Ozzie Guillen is he gets fired in Chicago.

Oh yeah, I said it.

Ron Madden
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Oh yeah, I said it.

God I hope not.

KronoRed
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Oh yeah, I said it.

Hmm, only if he and Marty have a battle to the death.

Raisor
04-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Why do baseball fans seem to want people managing the team that they wouldn't put up with in their own lives?

nate
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Why do baseball fans seem to want people managing the team that they wouldn't put up with in their own lives?

I don't want my crazy ex-girlfriend managing the Reds.

:cool:

dougdirt
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Because they think someone yelling at you will change your talent level?

reds44
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Hmm, only if he and Marty have a battle to the death.
I like Ozzie's odds.

WVPacman
04-28-2010, 12:38 AM

Oh yeah, I said it.

Man I was thinking the same thing and would love to see him managing the reds.:thumbup:

RBA
04-28-2010, 12:47 AM
This guy has a California wildfire in his belly.

http://lgo.mit.edu/blog/drewhill/files/fat-bastard.jpg

RBA
04-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Jack McKeon had fire? The only fire he had was when he was taking a nap in the dugout and Dmitri Young lit his foot on fire and he still didn't wake up.