PDA

View Full Version : More changes to All-Star game

Brutus
04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Some changes have been made to the All-Star game starting this season.

First, rosters have been expanded to 34 players each. Further, the DH will be used for both teams every season, so the pinch-hitting for the pitcher will no longer be necessary.

Another rule that was added is that pitchers going on Sunday during the regular season before the game will be ineligible to pitch and replaced on the roster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5145694

BearcatShane
04-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Another rule that was added is that pitchers going on Sunday during the regular season before the game will be ineligible to pitch and replaced on the roster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5145694

Even relievers?

Brutus
04-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Even relievers?

EDIT: My bad. It did specify that it applies to pitchers who start a game on Sunday.

TheNext44
04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Wow, those actually make sense. Was Selig on vacation when these were made?

KronoRed
04-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Abolish this nonsense.

reds1869
04-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Abolish this nonsense.

This. The All-star game jumped the shark long ago and needs to simply go away. Why can't we just pick teams and leave it at that? The game has been irrelevant and boring for quite some time now.

Roy Tucker
04-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Sometimes I wonder if people like baseball.

Caveat Emperor
04-29-2010, 08:04 AM
This. The All-star game jumped the shark long ago and needs to simply go away. Why can't we just pick teams and leave it at that? The game has been irrelevant and boring for quite some time now.

"Abolish the Baseball All-Star Game! It's boring and fans don't care."
"Abolish the Pro Bowl! It's boring, the players always opt-out and fans don't care."
"Abolish the NBA All-Star Game! It's boring, nobody plays defense, and fans don't care!"
"Abolish the NHL All-Star Game! Players get hurt and the fans don't care."

I'm noticing a trend, yet not noticing a lot of movement on the subject. :)

cumberlandreds
04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I still like the ASG. It's the one ASG that seems good and fits into the season well. I always thought not having a DH every year was not right. If ever a game screams for a DH it's the ASG. No reason not to have re-entry in case of injury either. It would be stupid to put a pitcher in the outfield because all the outfielders had been used and someone got hurt.

RANDY IN INDY
04-29-2010, 08:22 AM

Really.:beerme:

bucksfan2
04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Abolish the home field advantage in the WS rule and all the above make sense. The worst thing that can happen in an AS game is some player get injured. While I am opposed to the DH rule, I think its fake baseball, it makes sense not to have pitchers hit in the all star game.

I do like a re-entry rule if a game due to injury or due to an extra innings game.

macro
04-29-2010, 08:50 AM
I used to like the All Star Game, back when the NL team had Reds players on it and the teams took it seriously. I haven't watched one in years. The Reds have had more than their one guaranteed selection only three times in the past 15 years. There's just not much thrill in watching a four-hour game on the off-chance that the Reds lone representative gets to pitch to a batter.

I got spoiled by the 70s and 80s, especially the 70s (which likely proves that the claims made by some here are valid).

flyer85
04-29-2010, 08:52 AM
I no longer care much about the all star. the intensity of the 70s and early 80s is missing from the games.

westofyou
04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
All Star games are for kids and press releases.

oneupper
04-29-2010, 09:16 AM

and contract bonus clauses.

GOYA
04-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Until the players take the AS game seriously again, it will remain a media event. It really lost me when that batter kept bailing on Randy Johnson. (Was that Kruk?)

Johnny Footstool
04-29-2010, 09:34 AM

You're saying that like there's something wrong with it.

Yeah, it's a showcase. What's wrong with a showcase?

westofyou
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Hey I went to one as a kid, best game of my life...nothing wrong with it at all, except for the 3 days that they aren't playing real games.

I just don't care if they make decisions about the game, whilst I do care about the decisions that are made because who won the game.

Chip R
04-29-2010, 09:47 AM

If it's a showcase, call it a showcase and not a real game. Don't tie home field advantage to it because there was a tie one year.

People want to bag on the ASG but they fail to take into account that it's the only pro ASG game where the players are giving full effort. The hitters are trying to hit. They aren't swinging and missing at easy pitches to make the pitcher look good and they hit as hard as they can. The pitchers are trying to make the best pitches possible. No one's serving up BP fastballs to Pujols to make him look good. And no one's just throwing fastballs either because the rules say you can't throw breaking pitches. The fielders are doing their part to look good out there. No one's letting a ball fall in front of them that they could catch easily if they ran hard. These guys are taking this game as seriously as one can take an exhibition game.

Sea Ray
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Until the players take the AS game seriously again, it will remain a media event. It really lost me when that batter kept bailing on Randy Johnson. (Was that Kruk?)

For me it was another event that showed me once and for all that they aren't playing it to win. A couple years ago LaRussa was managing and the NL was down 1 run, 9th inning, two outs and the bases loaded. Albert Pujols is sitting on the bench and LaRussa does not send him up to pinch hit. If that's the 7th game of the World Series, no way does Pujols stay on the bench in that instance. I lost respect for the game at that point.

That said, perhaps the AL is taking the game seriously and the NL is not...

Sea Ray
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
These guys are taking this game as seriously as one can take an exhibition game.

OK, if they are taking it seriously why didn't a healthy Pujols hit in the situation I described above?

westofyou
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
The Pujols incident has some of the weakest logic in AS Game history

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bird-land/postcards/2007/07/pcd-wednesday-the-pujols-kerfuffle/

Chip R
04-29-2010, 10:10 AM
OK, if they are taking it seriously why didn't a healthy Pujols hit in the situation I described above?

That's on the manager, not the player. You'll have to ask Mr. Tony why he didn't pinch hit Pujols.

My point is that in the MLB ASG you don't see the teams not play defense like in the NBA and NHL ASGs. Nobody checks in the NHL game and you end up with 12-10 scores. In the NBA ASG, they don't play defense like they should and that's why you end up with 130-120 games. In the Pro Bowl, they don't allow blitzing.

Sea Ray
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
That's on the manager, not the player. You'll have to ask Mr. Tony why he didn't pinch hit Pujols.

My point is that in the MLB ASG you don't see the teams not play defense like in the NBA and NHL ASGs. Nobody checks in the NHL game and you end up with 12-10 scores. In the NBA ASG, they don't play defense like they should and that's why you end up with 130-120 games. In the Pro Bowl, they don't allow blitzing.

I won't quibble with the effort of the players but if the manager isn't playing to win there's still a big problem.

Chip R
04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I won't quibble with the effort of the players but if the manager isn't playing to win there's still a big problem.

Can't argue with that but the main criticism that comes from fans and the media seems to be that the players don't care as much about winning the game as their predecessors do. Maybe they do or maybe they don't. There's not really a way that you can find out for sure unless you use anectdotal evidence.

_Sir_Charles_
04-29-2010, 10:26 AM

And that alone is reason enough to continue it. For us older fans, we've "seen that, done that". But for the kids, it's a HUGE treat. No way they should dump it. If a player's concerned he may get injured...guess what, same thing could happen in ANY game. Yes, it may suck for his team if he gets injured, but there's a bigger picture here. This game (baseball in general) is played for the FANS...all of them, big AND small.

Johnny Footstool
04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
If it's a showcase, call it a showcase and not a real game. Don't tie home field advantage to it because there was a tie one year.

I think everyone who watches even a single baseball game would agree that home field advantage should be based on regular season won/lost record.

There are some other things MLB could do to attach some form of meaning to the All-Star game without interfering with the actual season.

Chip R
04-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I think everyone who watches even a single baseball game would agree that home field advantage should be based on regular season won/lost record.

There are some other things MLB could do to attach some form of meaning to the All-Star game without interfering with the actual season.

Why add more meaning to it? It is what it is: A glorified exhibition. It doesn't have any more meaning now than it did in 1933.

OnBaseMachine
04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I guess I'm one of the few that still enjoys watching the All-Star game? I also enjoy watching Home Run Derby and I LOVE the Futures Game. The Celebrity Softball Game is a lot of fun too.

Johnny Footstool
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Why add more meaning to it? It is what it is: A glorified exhibition. It doesn't have any more meaning now than it did in 1933.

If you don't, then the chorus of "why bother playing this game at all?" gets louder and louder.

The idea is to make it important, but not have it affect the regular season.

westofyou
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
The idea is to make it important, but not have it affect the regular season.

Some ideas:

Play game on giant trampoline.

Play game with fat guy suits on

Play 2 games (whoops done that)

Play game with a ball made from every era

Caveat Emperor
04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Some ideas:

Play the entire game with a wiffle ball.

pedro
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm for playing the AS game on the moon with all the players dressed in leiderhosen.

Chip R
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Some ideas:

How about everyone from the losing team loses his head. That would make winning pretty significant. Or is it too Mayan?

pedro
04-29-2010, 01:07 PM
How about everyone from the losing team loses his head. That would make winning pretty significant. Or is it too Mayan?

I think they should play an old timers softball game using the heads of the losing team for balls.

Or better yet, let them use Bud Selig's head.

_Sir_Charles_
04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Play the entire game with a wiffle ball.

LOL. I think that would be a BLAST to watch. :O)

Chip R
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure why it needs to be more important. Like WOY said, the game is for kids and press releases. When I was a kid it was very important to me. I'd have my own homemade scorecard and score the entire game while watching it on TV. But a lot of things were important to me then that aren't quite as important to me now. When I was in college, the NBA Slam Dunk Contest and 3 point shot contest they had on Saturday night were must-see TV. Now, not so much. I don't necessarily believe it's because Michael Jordan and Larry Bird aren't doing that anymore but more along the lines of the novelty wore off.

I'll still watch the ASG when I get the opportunity to do so but I don't care about the HR hitting contest because I don't care to hear Chris Berman bleat, "Back, back, back, back, Gone!" on every home run. Personally, I think they should go with juiced balls and corked bats for the contest but that's another story.

I think MLB has done a good job of making it "an event" with the HR derby and the celebrity game and the fan fest and the Futures game. I'm not sure how much more of a spectacle they want it to be. If there is a problem with effort - which I don't see - give the winning team and manager $1M each and the losers get nothing.

GOYA
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
It was John Kruk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeWbt9RTgVI

Watch that and then watch Pete bowl Fosse over.

KronoRed
04-29-2010, 03:40 PM

The All Star game is not a real baseball game though, it's like watching a bunch of drunk guys play with their friends.

Pfft.

Chip R
04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
The All Star game is not a real baseball game though, it's like watching a bunch of drunk guys play with their friends.

Pfft.

You may be on to something here. Have the all stars play drunk and see what happens.

mth123
04-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Fantasy Baseball ruined the All Star game, IMO. It used to be a mid-summer treat, now a large group of baseball's most dedicated fans view it as a three day distraction from their teams and not only couldn't care about it, but resent the three days away from their fantasy game.

Brutus
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
You may be on to something here. Have the all stars play drunk and see what happens.

That's already been done. It's called pros versus joe's.

:thumbup: