PDA

View Full Version : BP to Lead Off

Red in Atl
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Thank you Dusty for finally tinkering with our anemic lineup. Getting BP out of the #4 hole is a move I've been begging to happen for weeks. But here's what I'd like to really see...BP leading off.

Brandon hasn't been the same hitter since he was "forced" into the cleanup spot. Since then he seems to think the spot defines the hitter. Well yes Brandon you had a 30/30 year, great, but that doesn't make you a home run bopper.

BP is at his best when going to the opposite field, driving through the ball and making things happen on base. Think of him as Deion Sanders with a bat, and he has the same type of personality. Plus we could get him away from thinking he's a home run hitter, and maybe he might remember what got him his contract in the first place.

If he really wants to be a leader, then lead by example. Leading off is the best way for him. No one else on this team can do it. The last time the Reds didn't have a lead off hitter what did we do? Barry Larkin. BP could do this, and it makes the whole lineup better.

Phillips 2nd
Cabrera SS
Voto 1st
Rolen 3rd
Bruce RF
Gomes/Nix LF
Stubbs/Dickerson CF
Hernandez/Hanigan C

This puts Cabrera back where he wants and has had success. Rolen is perfect at cleanup, and it takes the pressure off Stubbs and Dickerson. I think it's the only place BP should bat, and if he doesn't pick it up there...he should be traded by the trading deadline. He's too expensive for a 2nd baseman hitting .220.

Griffey012
04-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Thank you Dusty for finally tinkering with our anemic lineup. Getting BP out of the #4 hole is a move I've been begging to happen for weeks. But here's what I'd like to really see...BP leading off.

Brandon hasn't been the same hitter since he was "forced" into the cleanup spot. Since then he seems to think the spot defines the hitter. Well yes Brandon you had a 30/30 year, great, but that doesn't make you a home run bopper.

BP is at his best when going to the opposite field, driving through the ball and making things happen on base. Think of him as Deion Sanders with a bat, and he has the same type of personality. Plus we could get him away from thinking he's a home run hitter, and maybe he might remember what got him his contract in the first place.

If he really wants to be a leader, then lead by example. Leading off is the best way for him. No one else on this team can do it. The last time the Reds didn't have a lead off hitter what did we do? Barry Larkin. BP could do this, and it makes the whole lineup better.

Phillips 2nd
Cabrera SS
Voto 1st
Rolen 3rd
Bruce RF
Gomes/Nix LF
Stubbs/Dickerson CF
Hernandez/Hanigan C

This puts Cabrera back where he wants and has had success. Rolen is perfect at cleanup, and it takes the pressure off Stubbs and Dickerson. I think it's the only place BP should bat, and if he doesn't pick it up there...he should be traded by the trading deadline. He's too expensive for a 2nd baseman hitting .220.

I wouldn't mind seeing BP take a stab at the leadoff spot, but I like the move of Cabrera down to 6. He has a pretty good track record at driving in runs, so why not put him in a position to do it a lot more often than the 2 spot. He doesn't get on base, but drives in runs. Seems like the perfect guy for the 6 hole, but not so much the 2 hole.

Red in Atl
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
As long as they win, I wouldn't change a thing...

ian_madden
04-30-2010, 12:59 AM
I wasn't for BP hitting 2nd, I really liked him in a rbi role, not necessarily 4th, but maybe 3rd or 5th. But I'm not going to argue with what is working right now. I was scared he might hit into to many double plays (knock on wood). But he will see some pitches in that spot. You don't want to walk him with Votto and Rolen coming up.

redsfan_12
04-30-2010, 01:51 AM
As long as they win, I wouldn't change a thing...

Ditto.

Red in Atl
05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm bumping this back up, because I saw a post today on the ORG that brings me right back to this argument. Stubbs has worse numbers than Patterson or Willy T, up to this point, leading off.

Who's a better option than Brandon?

BLEEDS
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
We have no lead-off hitter options.

Our best bet is to hope Stubbs rebounds, and gets his OBP up to his MiLB numbers.

BP has years of MLB experience that says he's a crappy Leadoff candidate, similar to WillyT and Patterson.

Stubbs is still in the small sample size region. Patience young grasshopper.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

muddie
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
When speaking of 'BP' and 'clean up' you may think of more than baseball these days.

Griffey012
05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm bumping this back up, because I saw a post today on the ORG that brings me right back to this argument. Stubbs has worse numbers than Patterson or Willy T, up to this point, leading off.

Who's a better option than Brandon?

Going into yesterday's game he was hitting .350 since moving to the 2 hole. Don't change a thing if he keeps hitting.

Red in Atl
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Fay today mentioned giving Heisey a shot. I'm cool with that. Dusty mentioned he has a hard time finding a spot for Cabrera, but I really don't think he's the guy.

I know that Phillips has the history of not being the guy to lead off. But we can't continue to have an 0 for 5 at the top of the order.

I'd start Heisey in Center and leading off Friday and see what happens. But for the long haul of the year, I still think BP is the only option to balance out the order and let other guys be in the right spot, Cabrera needs to bat 2nd and Rolen needs to bat 4th.

GIDP
05-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Cabrera's career OBP isnt much higher than Stubbs is right now. That would be a major mistake.