PDA

View Full Version : How awesome are the Tampa Bay Rays?

OnBaseMachine
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Seriously, that team is flat out loaded with talent, and to top it off they have one of the best farm systems in baseball. With an 11-1 win over the Royals tonight, the Rays are now 17-5 and have a 2.5 game lead in the AL East over the Yankees. They're not getting by with smoke and mirrors either, as they've outscored their opponents 142 to 73. The Rays have a legit chance at winning 100 games this season, IMO, and are a serious World Series contender too.

It's gotta be exciting to be a Rays fan right now. That team can pitch, play defense, hit, and run the bases. Evan Longoria is establishing himself as arguably the best player in the American League and David Price appears to be on his way to developing into a Cy Young caliber pitcher.

I won't be surprised at all if the Rays win the World Series this season.

Tom Servo
04-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I was just looking at their rotation and their stats the other day and became extremely jealous. A rotation filled with elite young starters.

REDblooded
04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Love me some Jeff Niemann.

jojo
04-30-2010, 12:03 AM
It's gotta be exciting to be a Rays fan right now.

It is.

Ghosts of 1990
04-30-2010, 12:21 AM
I picked them preseason to win the world series. I don't want to offend any reds fans here, but they're gonna do it.

Caveat Emperor
04-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Rays Fever: Catch it. (And when you do, would you mind calling 10 friends? Please?)

KronoRed
04-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Can't wait for the sell off in a few years, should be a buyers market.

Tom Servo
04-30-2010, 12:25 AM
i picked them preseason to win the world series. I don't want to offend any reds fans here, but they're gonna do it.
I am COMPLETELY offended.

Homer Bailey
04-30-2010, 12:41 AM
I've been a Rays fan since I wagered on them to win it at (8 to 1). Feeling quite good about it.

Chip R
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
You know, they show the Yankees an awful lot on TV. I'm thinking this could be a good thing because they might show the Rays-Yankees games.

RFS62
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
They're a lot of fun to watch.

bucksfan2
04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
They're a lot of fun to watch.

They are on TV? Thats news to me.

I think Philly is the best team in baseball but the Rays may the second best. I would temper the excitement level a little. They still play a large number of games against the Red Sox and Yankees. The Rays may be better but those still are tough games.

hebroncougar
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Liked the Rays ever since I used to work in St. Pete in the summertime. They were a bad team then. Not so much now. I watch them on my satellite. Joe Maddon is a great manager, especially for the type of team they have.

nate
04-30-2010, 09:49 AM
They're pretty awesome. Using the time-tested combination of great offense and defense. The pitching is good but their offense and defense is better. Easily the best team in the league right now.

buckeyenut
04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I was just looking at their rotation and their stats the other day and became extremely jealous. A rotation filled with elite young starters.
Give it two years and I think other teams will be jealous of our elite young pitchers.
Leake, Chapman, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Wood, others? That is going to stack up with what they have in Tampa Bay if it plays out like I think it will.

jojo
04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I bought a Rays jersey before they changed their name and color's etc. I'm not even bitter.

jojo
04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Here's the thing about the Rays pitching (and to a lesser degree the Reds' group mentioned above).

Pitching prospects are like a house of cards along a fault line.

The reason to be optimistic about the Rays pitching is that they have about a gazillion arms with potential so attrition isn't the deadly caveat.

Concerning the Reds list, i'd be surprised if they have a set rotation of Leake, Chapman, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Wood over a consistent period just because that's a lot of things going right for just about every major hope in their org (it's not commentary on whether they're legit hopes it's just a nod to the gauntlet)....

jmcclain19
04-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Scary part is in the high minors they have some seriously talented players.

Hellickson might be the best pitcher not named Chapman or Strasburg in the minors right now and Desmond Jennings could be a scary, scary good player.

They could trade Crawford for some useful parts and not even miss him.

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Part of the Rays success though has to be attributed to getting top picks or nearly top picks for the better part of a decade.

That's not to take away from their scouting, their development or their drafting...but how many top 5 players were they able to draft the last decade? And they obviously have drafted early in the 2nd round each year as well.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Part of the Rays success though has to be attributed to getting top picks or nearly top picks for the better part of a decade.

That's not to take away from their scouting, their development or their drafting...but how many top 5 players were they able to draft the last decade? And they obviously have drafted early in the 2nd round each year as well.

That helped, but it hasn't helped the Pirates or Royals. And a large part of the Rays team comes from smart pickups and non-first round picks:

Navarro
Pena
Brignac
Crawford
Bartlett
Zobrist
Aybar
Shields
Garza
Davis
Soriano
Sonnanstine

Granted Bartlett and Garza came from trading one of those high picks (Young), but it still shows that it takes more than just drafting high to build a winner.

Hopefully this is something the Reds can learn from.

jojo
04-30-2010, 08:26 PM

Here's a few posts that shed light on how the Rays became the team that went to the world series

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1792870&postcount=869

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1793384&postcount=913

RBA
04-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Looking forward to their move to Portland, Oregon.

fearofpopvol1
05-01-2010, 02:37 AM
That helped, but it hasn't helped the Pirates or Royals. And a large part of the Rays team comes from smart pickups and non-first round picks:

Navarro
Pena
Brignac
Crawford
Bartlett
Zobrist
Aybar
Shields
Garza
Davis
Soriano
Sonnanstine

Granted Bartlett and Garza came from trading one of those high picks (Young), but it still shows that it takes more than just drafting high to build a winner.

Hopefully this is something the Reds can learn from.

Part of the issue with the Pirates and the Royals is a refusal to pony up for the BEST picks. They've gotten better since, but there was a while where they refused...or the players would reenter the draft the next year.

No doubt the Rays have made some great trades, but it should be noted that their younger core that came up through their farm system were almost entirely first round and second round picks where the Rays were picking very high each year for a decade. I think every single one of the young core that wasn't traded for that is currently at the show was a 1st or 2nd round pick other than Wade Davis who was a 3rd rounder. I'm not 100% sure of that stat, but pretty sure.

Sure, other teams passed on the second and third round guys in the 1st and 2nd rounds, but when you're picking at the top of every round, it helps immensely. Again, I'm not discrediting the Rays trades or their development or even picks. They are extremely good at what they do. I'm just saying that when you have access to a lot of top 5 picks for nearly a decade and you pick at the top of the 2nd and 3rd rounds too, that's an enormous advantage that is likely to pay dividends.

kpresidente
05-01-2010, 10:38 AM
They're pretty awesome. Using the time-tested combination of great offense and defense. The pitching is good but their offense and defense is better. Easily the best team in the league right now.

Interesting that you downplay pitching, when it's the improvement in their staff that most distinctly marks the Rays turnaround this season:

2009 Rays
OPS: 5th
xFIP: 17th
UZR: 3rd

2010 Rays
xFIP: 10th
UZR: 2nd

VR
05-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I bought a Rays jersey before they changed their name and color's etc. I'm not even bitter.

1 of 7 in existence....you'll be a rich man

nate
05-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Interesting that you downplay pitching, when it's the improvement in their staff that most distinctly marks the Rays turnaround this season:

2009 Rays
xFIP: 17th
UZR: 3rd

2010 Rays
xFIP: 10th
UZR: 2nd

I'm not downplaying it, I just said the offense and defense is really good.