PDA

View Full Version : Dickerson: headed to DL Heisey gets the call

OnBaseMachine
04-29-2010, 11:50 PM
From John Fay's blog:

Chris Dickerson left the game after striking out to end the second. He has a sprained right wrist.

If it’s a DL type injury — and it probably is – my guess is Chris Heisey gets the call. He started slow, but he’s hitting .295 over his last 10 games

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/04/29/dickerson-sprained-right-wrist/

And from Fay's twitter:

Baker says #Reds will probably make a move before tomorrow's game. Jocketty says they know won't tonite. My guess? Heisey's on plane by 6 am

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 12:02 AM
At least the Uncle Carl days of playing a weak with a 24 man roster are gone.

Chip R
04-30-2010, 12:04 AM
At least the Uncle Carl days of playing a weak with a 24 man roster are gone.

We'll see about that.

kaldaniels
04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
I love you Chris, but you gotta stay healthy.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
We'll see about that.

Just quoting Dusty from Fay's later blog on the subject.

Dusty Baker said the Reds will probably make a move. They won’t play short today in St. Louis.

“Oh, no, no, we surely won’t,” Baker said.

Although some might argue that the Reds have been playing one man short these past two years since DRH has been on the roster. ;)

Or...

The haven't played short all year since they signed OCab. ;)

Or...

Some might argue that the Reds have been playing with a 24 man roster this year since Cairo has been on the roster. ;)

I'm here all week, try the veal.

VR
04-30-2010, 12:15 AM
I hope it's minor.

May be a blessing in disguise....as the guy is scuffling in a big way.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 12:16 AM
BTW Chip,

I think this was your 30,000 post.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2068772&postcount=544

Re: The Office

I forgot it was on.

Awesome milestone post. Congrats! :thumbup: :beerme:

Tom Servo
04-30-2010, 12:16 AM
For those who unaware, Heisey is the only OF on the 40 man not currently on the 25-man.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
I'd call up Dorn, just to give them an excuse to DFA Cairo. :cool:

mdccclxix
04-30-2010, 12:33 AM
This might be Dorn's best shot, I hope he gets it and proves himself.

Nix can play CF pretty well, don't forget.

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2010, 12:51 AM
If Heisey is going to sit on the bench, which I gather he probably will, don't even bother calling him up. He needs playing time.

Ghosts of 1990
04-30-2010, 01:21 AM
I hope its Dorn

Ron Madden
04-30-2010, 02:55 AM
I'd call up Dorn, just to give them an excuse to DFA Cairo. :cool:

So would I. Heisey is probably more deserving but he needs to play everyday. If I was the GM I'd add Dorn to the roster in a heartbeat if for no other reason than to cut ties with Cairo.

mth123
04-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Heisey for Dickerson leaves the team with only Nix, Votto and Bruce from the left side. I'm wondering if Cairo goes anyway and Sutton or Castillo (both Switch Hitters) may get recalled to add some balance.

The way its been going, maybe a 13th pitcher would be a good idea.

klw
04-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Francisco has experience up here and is on the 40 man. I am guessing they go his way even though his AAA performance so far has been less than dominating.

Roy Tucker
04-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Every time I see the name Dorn, I think Roger Dorn.

Dickerson is one of those guys that seems to have a hard time staying healthy.

Strikes Out Looking
04-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Hasn't Sutton played some OF?

nate
04-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Dickerson is one of those guys that seems to have a hard time staying healthy.

I think of Michael Dorn.

The CHiPs version of Michael Dorn, not the Star Trek Michael Dorn.

Raisor can elaborate on the latter.

:cool:

edabbs44
04-30-2010, 08:33 AM
I think of the guy who was left exposed in the Rule V draft this season that no one drafted. Which means the odds of him being a true contributor are on the low side. Not impossible, but low enough that his potential arrival won't really excite me too much.

Redsfan320
04-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Hasn't Sutton played some OF?

Yeah, he played some Left last September.

Chip R
04-30-2010, 08:53 AM
BTW Chip,

I think this was your 30,000 post.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2068772&postcount=544

Awesome milestone post. Congrats! :thumbup: :beerme:

I was planning on posting something wise and pithy for 30K but then I figured, why start now? ;)

Me too.

lollipopcurve
04-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Sutton is very versatile and switch hits. I think he's the best option. But Baker has never shown much confidence in him, unfortunately.

My guess is that the wrist problem is the reason Dickerson has looked so bad at the plate lately. Not like himself at all. Except for the fact that, well, he's injured a lot.

Sea Ray
04-30-2010, 09:17 AM
And the beat goes on for Chris Dickerson. Only injury prone dudes hurt themselves so badly when swinging the bat that they go on the DL. We can't count on him for anything more than a 4th OF spot and I don't care what his OPS is. Those who are promoting him as a starter and leadoff hitter: forget it. Consider this injury exhibit F or whatever...

JaxRed
04-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I want to see either Heisey or Dorn, just to see what they can do at this level.

_Sir_Charles_
04-30-2010, 09:21 AM
DFA Cairo still leaves us a man short, right? They'd have to call up 2 players. I don't see them doing that.

Sutton & Castillo...yes, they can switch hit. But can they do it WELL from either side?

Dorn...how much experience does he have in the OF. He's been at first an awful lot lately it seems.

I'd say it's almost a sure thing it'll be Heisey. They'll want the outfielder and they'll want a substitute leadoff man for when Drew can't. (Not that Heisey should be LEADING OFF)

Big Klu
04-30-2010, 09:26 AM
I think it is doubtful that the Reds call up anyone who isn't currently on the 40-man roster. First, there isn't anyone who isn't on the 40-man who is tearing it up. Second, somebody would have to be designated for assignment to make room for such a player, and then he would likely also be designated as soon as Dickerson is able to return to active duty. So the Reds could potentially lose two players from their organization in a short period of time. So that narrows it down to the five position players in the minors who are on the 40-man:

Juan Francisco, 3B/OF, Louisville: .123/.150/.246/.396, 1 HR, 3 RBI. Lefty-hitting slugger made Reds Opening Day roster, but was overmatched. Appears to be overmatched/struggling at AAA, too. Needs to work out problems, and play on a regular basis for the Bats.

Drew Sutton, INF, Louisville: .210/.254/.339/.592, 1 HR, 3 RBI. Versatile switch-hitter can play all four infield spots and corner OF positions too. Not exactly setting things on fire in Louisville, but could be suited to the bench role in which he would find himself in Cincinnati.

Chris Valaika, INF, Louisville: .333/.384/.470/.853, 0 HR, 6 RBI. Far and away the top hitter in AAA in the first month. Offensively he would be the obvious choice, but he is a 2B/SS who may not fit the current configuration of the bench, as the call-up likely needs to play a passable OF.

Chris Heisey, OF, Louisville: .241/.307/.430/.737, 4 HR, 13 RBI. Along with Daniel Dorn, the top home run threat at AAA. Right-handed hitting OF might be redundant with Drew Stubbs. Probably should play regularly at Louisville, unless the Reds intend to play him at least semi-regularly in LF (and as a backup to Stubbs in CF).

Yonder Alonso, 1B/OF, Carolina: .261/.386/.406/.791, 2 HR, 8 RBI. Needs to continue to play regularly, either at AA or AAA. Still learning how to play LF. Left-handed bat will eventually play well in Cincinnati.

My opinion: Since this is hopefully going to be a short-term move, I would bring up Drew Sutton, and use him as a PH (mostly from the left side), and as a fifth OF if necessary. Laynce Nix and Jonny Gomes can split time in LF, though not necessarily in a strict platoon. Nix would also be the defensive replacement for Gomes, and he could fill in as the backup CF. If Dickerson remains out of action longer than expected, the Reds can always make another move to call up Heisey.

Of course, this whole situation only reinforces the perception that Chris Dickerson is made of glass.

flyer85
04-30-2010, 09:36 AM
if they bring up Heisey they need to play him. I like the idea of him and Stubbs out there together.

TRF
04-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Well this means the quasi platoon in CF is over, likely for a long time.

So that means Stubbs really has to step up. Last night was a great game for him. Over the last week it seems like he's starting to turn a corner, but that SLG is till plenty weak. His approach still isn't generating the power he could have. But 3-1 over his last 7 games in the SB dept, 7-1 overall is pretty good. (ok it's very good.)

.385 OBP over his last 7. If his SLG was that high, and .385 is still pretty weak, he'd have a .770 OPS and I'd keep my mouth shut, but with the SLG at .300 over his last 7, and .288 overall, I'll probably point it out.

I think this is the straw that breaks CD's back with Dusty and the Reds. I like his talent, but if he can't stay healthy, move on.

flyer85
04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Stubbs is what he is. It would be nice to have Stubbs and Heisey bat at the top of the order (the Reds don't really have anyone else to bat 1/2).

Kc61
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Stubbs is what he is. It would be nice to have Stubbs and Heisey bat at the top of the order (the Reds don't really have anyone else to bat 1/2).

Before we insert Heisey as the number 2 hitter, let's see him have a measure of success off the bench. He hasn't dominated at AAA, he probably could use more AAA time.

I expect Heisey to be the callup since the Reds are now short in the outfield.

But with Dickerson out, I expect that the guy who will get the most additional playing time will be Laynce Nix, a left handed batter, who can play CF when Stubbs isn't.

BTW, the Stubbs we saw last night is potentially quite a player. I hope he keeps progressing, he's got a lot of talent, speed, base stealing ability, power. Just needs to make more contact.

westofyou
04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
TRF, Stubb's already has stepped up... he didn't get injured, and that's a skill set that Dickerson has not conquered.

Degenerate39
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Has Frazier been playing any Left Field?

Redsfan320
04-30-2010, 10:27 AM

More than anywhere else. According to BR, this year he's played 8 in Left, 4 at 3rd, 3 at 1st, and 1 DHing. But he's also battin .173.

flyer85
04-30-2010, 10:28 AM
more Nix and Gomes, that will solve LF. :rolleyes:

Cyclone792
04-30-2010, 10:33 AM

Frazier has struggled badly so far this year. He needs daily reps down in Louisville right now to get back on track.

Degenerate39
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I wasn't aware that he was doing so atrious. Nevermind

TRF
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
TRF, Stubb's already has stepped up... he didn't get injured, and that's a skill set that Dickerson has not conquered.

True. Dickerson is quickly becoming Kearns-like, minus the overall talent.

Not good.

TRF
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM
BTW, I hope its Heisey too. And I hope he steals the LF job from Gomes. I just read that over his last 10 games, Heisey is hitting .295 .304 .477 .782 The OBP is still dreadfully low, but he has some pop and is an excellent defender. Digging deeper in his stats that he has for this short season anyway, thrived under pressure. Excellent numbers with 2 outs, runners on and RISP. In fact, that's where he really has been successful his entire career.

Here is the odd thing, it wouldn't surprise me to see Valaika get the nod either. He's been killing the ball all year.

lollipopcurve
04-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Heisey would be interesting, but I just don't see how they don't replace Dickerson with another LH bat. If Nix were to start, they'd have no lefties on the bench.

I'm predicting Castillo. He's hit righties pretty hard so far this year, and he can play almost anywhere.

Kc61
04-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Heisey would be interesting, but I just don't see how they don't replace Dickerson with another LH bat. If Nix were to start, they'd have no lefties on the bench.

I'm predicting Castillo. He's hit righties pretty hard so far this year, and he can play almost anywhere.

Yeah, it could be Castillo. Good thought there.

Heisey is more of a direct replacement because of his ability to play CF. Castillo provides the lefty bat. Nix would play some center, Castillo some LF.

Danny Serafini
04-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Castillo isn't on the 40 man though. I'd bet they try and do something more convenient.

lollipopcurve
04-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Castillo isn't on the 40 man though. I'd bet they try and do something more convenient.

Ahhh --- good point. You're probably right.

Might they throw Burton on the 60 day? I haven't heard a thing about him lately.

Mario-Rijo
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
And the beat goes on for Chris Dickerson. Only injury prone dudes hurt themselves so badly when swinging the bat that they go on the DL. We can't count on him for anything more than a 4th OF spot and I don't care what his OPS is. Those who are promoting him as a starter and leadoff hitter: forget it. Consider this injury exhibit F or whatever...

He was playing with an already hurt wrist. I'm expecting Sutton BTW.

edabbs44
04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Heisey in the house?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2069009#post2069009

Chip R
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Heisey in the house?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2069009#post2069009

Yep.

http://www.wgal.com/sports/23318940/detail.html

Mario-Rijo
04-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Yep.

http://www.wgal.com/sports/23318940/detail.html

Nice, now let's hope he gets to actually play a little.

11larkin11
04-30-2010, 01:44 PM
As for the earlier speculation on Castillo, I don't think Castillo will be up while Chapman is in AAA.

flyer85
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
there is real upside with Heisey and Stubbs. There is none with guys like Nix and Gomes. Reds need to find out about those two guys as well as Frazier.

membengal
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Man, has Frazier had a disappointing start to 2010. I really thought he could have found a spot on the roster with a good spring, and instead he didn't hit a thing. And then, he carried over the frigid hitting into April, making him a non-factor for a potential call-up at this spot. I hope his bat de-ices soon so he gives the Reds additional options as the summer gets here.

Razor Shines
04-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Nice, now let's hope he gets to actually play a little.

I think if they'd have lost 2 out of 3 in Houston Heisey would have probably gotten a start or two in STL, but I think now that they're back to .500 Nix and Gomes will get most of the PT and Heisey might get an AB here and there. It's unfortunate, but that's what I fear.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I really hope Heisey gets most of the starts in LF. Dusty will probably ease him in there, but after a few games he really should be playing everyday.

Stubbs/Heisey 1/2 in the order is nice, takes some pressure off of Heisey, since Baker likes to put a lot of plays on with the #2 hitter, and he'll be hitting in front of Votto, so good pitches to hit.

And that moves Gomes to the bench as the RH power off the bench. The teams needs that. Right now it's Cairo and Janish.

Falls City Beer
04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Heisey definitely had a nice 2009. Glad he's getting the call.

Kc61
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I really hope Heisey gets most of the starts in LF. Dusty will probably ease him in there, but after a few games he really should be playing everyday.

Stubbs/Heisey 1/2 in the order is nice, takes some pressure off of Heisey, since Baker likes to put a lot of plays on with the #2 hitter, and he'll be hitting in front of Votto, so good pitches to hit.

And that moves Gomes to the bench as the RH power off the bench. The teams needs that. Right now it's Cairo and Janish.

I think Gomes/Nix will continue to play left field. Heisey will get a few starts, probably to spell Stubbs. I don't see this as a trial for Heisey to start - unless he gets hot and forces his way into the lineup.

Most likely, he's an injury replacement who will use this stint to get his feet wet in the major leagues.

Hope he does well, but he isn't being brought up because he was particularly hot at AAA and has forced his way to the major leagues. He's an injury replacement.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I think Gomes/Nix will continue to play left field. Heisey will get a few starts, probably to spell Stubbs. I don't see this as a trial for Heisey to start - unless he gets hot and forces his way into the lineup.

Most likely, he's an injury replacement who will use this stint to get his feet wet in the major leagues.

Hope he does well, but he isn't being brought up because he was particularly hot at AAA and has forced his way to the major leagues. He's an injury replacement.

You're probably right. But if this team was serious about rebuilding, they would start Heisey and have Gomes/Nix as the lefty/righty tandem off the bench.

Hoosier Red
04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Man, has Frazier had a disappointing start to 2010. I really thought he could have found a spot on the roster with a good spring, and instead he didn't hit a thing. And then, he carried over the frigid hitting into April, making him a non-factor for a potential call-up at this spot. I hope his bat de-ices soon so he gives the Reds additional options as the summer gets here.

I have no data to back this up, but I'm guessing most guys who were hoping if not expecting to make the major league roster probably struggle when they're sent to AAA.

Now obviously, how long or short they struggle is part of the make up that will determine how they handle success and failure in the big leagues, but I'd give him a bit of a pass.

That said, he needs to start hitting.

Kc61
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
You're probably right. But if this team was serious about rebuilding, they would start Heisey and have Gomes/Nix as the lefty/righty tandem off the bench.

Right now I think the team is serious about one thing - having a winning season.

I don't think the Reds - about to play the Cards and Mets -are worrying right now about preparing Chris Heisey for the years to come. Right now, I think they want to win games and are more likely to go with veterans.

Obviously, if Heisey does well as a reserve, or if Gomes/Nix are faltering, it improves Chris' chances to play more.

lollipopcurve
04-30-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't see Heisey getting many ABs ahead of Gomes. He might spell Stubbs once in a while or Bruce vs a tough lefty. Would love to see him out there in LF, though. It would make for a very nice defensive OF.

TRF
04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I think if they'd have lost 2 out of 3 in Houston Heisey would have probably gotten a start or two in STL, but I think now that they're back to .500 Nix and Gomes will get most of the PT and Heisey might get an AB here and there. It's unfortunate, but that's what I fear.

I agree with this. And you can bet he's certainly not starting tonight. That'd be disrespectful to Gomes. If it's a RH starter, then it'll be Nix again.

I don't like it, but I get it.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I think Gomes/Nix will continue to play left field.

A Gomes/Nix platoon in LF is kinda like starting a band called Garfunkel and Oates. :cool:

Will M
04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I think of Michael Dorn.

The CHiPs version of Michael Dorn, not the Star Trek Michael Dorn.

Raisor can elaborate on the latter.

Worf is just what this team needs. A little fire in the belly. Plus he can hit with his Bat'leth instead of a regular bat. Pretty cool.

Will M
04-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I agree with those who state that we will see Nix/Gomes getting most of the playing time in LF.

As many have pointed out our hitting 'prospects' have amounted to a big pile of nothing this year. No one deserves the call. Add to this the fact that Cairo is already a wasted roster space (no offense Miguel) and the Reds are in a bit of a bad situation IMO. I doubt that any deal to improve the team could be swung this early in the year. I guess we are going to have to hunker down & hope a couple of guys in AAA get on track.

Ghosts of 1990
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Congrats Heisey. Make the most of it kid

TRF
04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree with those who state that we will see Nix/Gomes getting most of the playing time in LF.

As many have pointed out our hitting 'prospects' have amounted to a big pile of nothing this year. No one deserves the call. Add to this the fact that Cairo is already a wasted roster space (no offense Miguel) and the Reds are in a bit of a bad situation IMO. I doubt that any deal to improve the team could be swung this early in the year. I guess we are going to have to hunker down & hope a couple of guys in AAA get on track.

Chris Valaika says hello.

Dorn has cooled, and Cozart has been consistent. No real highs, no real lows.

But Frazier, JF, Wlad et al, pretty meh so far. Heisey was turning a corner a bit.

Will M
04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Chris Valaika says hello.

Dorn has cooled, and Cozart has been consistent. No real highs, no real lows.

But Frazier, JF, Wlad et al, pretty meh so far. Heisey was turning a corner a bit.

IMO Valaika has no business coming to Cincinnati. 3 hot weeks at AAA does not a major league career make. He struggled mightily last year. He needs more time in AAA before I would consider a callup. 1/2 a season would do.

IMO Cozart has no business coming to Cincinnati. He needs a year in AAA.

The guys i am referrring to are mainly the four who had a chance to make the team this year: Alonso, Frazier, Heisey & Francisco. We are playing Lance Nix in LF. Lance Nix! Why? Reason #1: Bob C is cheap. Reason #2: Walt's immense creativity this offseason let us with Gomes/Nix. Reason #3: Alonso, Frazier, Heisey & Francisco all had a chance to win that LF job this spring/April & haven't performed.

Tom Servo
04-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Count me on board as wanting to see Heisey get the lion's share of starts in LF.

OnBaseMachine
04-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm glad to see Heisey get the call. I'd like to see him get some starts in left field but as others have said, Gomes/Nix will probably get the majority of the playing time.

Homer Bailey
04-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Count me in the group that is not that intrigued with Heisey yet. Aside from a hot run in the first half of last year, I've been underwhelmed with his performance (numbers) in AAA. Will obviously be rooting for the kid though.

TRF
04-30-2010, 03:54 PM
IMO Valaika has no business coming to Cincinnati. 3 hot weeks at AAA does not a major league career make. He struggled mightily last year. He needs more time in AAA before I would consider a callup. 1/2 a season would do.

IMO Cozart has no business coming to Cincinnati. He needs a year in AAA.

The guys i am referrring to are mainly the four who had a chance to make the team this year: Alonso, Frazier, Heisey & Francisco. We are playing Lance Nix in LF. Lance Nix! Why? Reason #1: Bob C is cheap. Reason #2: Walt's immense creativity this offseason let us with Gomes/Nix. Reason #3: Alonso, Frazier, Heisey & Francisco all had a chance to win that LF job this spring/April & haven't performed.

All Valaika has ever done at any level is hit. last year he go stupid, and took out some frustration on an inanimate object. He rebounded towards the end of the year. He's legit IMO.

Redsfan320
04-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Heisey not in lineup tonight, says Fay:

No rain here yet. It’s cloudy and windy.

Drew Stubbs 8

Brandon Phillips 4

Joey Votto 3

Scott Rolen 5

Jay Bruce 9

Orlando Cabrera 6

Jonny Gomes 7

Ramon Hernandez 2

Johnny Cueto RHP

No move has been announced. If Stubbs hadn’t had his big night last night, I was expecting to see Chris Heisey in the lineup.

RedsManRick
04-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm a little surprised they didn't go with the lefty, Dorn, but I assume it was Heisey in part because they wanted a backup CF and didn't want to put Nix out there.

So long as Nix is here, I guess there's no role for Dorn. Would love to see him step in to that power bat on the bench who can backup LF/1B next year. That would free up another IF spot for somebody who actually brings something to the table.

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm a little surprised they didn't go with the lefty, Dorn, but I assume it was Heisey in part because they wanted a backup CF and didn't want to put Nix out there.

So long as Nix is here, I guess there's no role for Dorn. Would love to see him step in to that power bat on the bench who can backup LF/1B next year. That would free up another IF spot for somebody who actually brings something to the table.

Dorn is not on the 40 man roster and Heisey was. I'm pretty sure that's why the choice was easy.

RedsManRick
04-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Dorn is not on the 40 man roster and Heisey was. I'm pretty sure that's why the choice was easy.

I did not know that. I still think my logic (in part) explains why Heisey is on the 40 man and Dorn isn't, but I'm sure that sealed the deal.

_Sir_Charles_
04-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Nobody called for Wlad? :p: j/k

Raisor
04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Worf is just what this team needs. A little fire in the belly. Plus he can hit with his Bat'leth instead of a regular bat. Pretty cool.

http://www.coolscifi.com/gallery/files/1/6/BBstar.jpg

Death to the Opposition!

TRF
04-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Best Worf scene ever: he breaks Geordi's Mandolin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGuzse9GpEg

I'd pay money to see Danny Dorn do that.

Will M
04-30-2010, 05:51 PM
All Valaika has ever done at any level is hit. last year he go stupid, and took out some frustration on an inanimate object. He rebounded towards the end of the year. He's legit IMO.

I actually like Valaika. He looks like a guy who could be a decent starting second baseman in a couple of years. Its just that I think with his poor 2009 i would like to see 1/2 a season of strong performance at AAA prior to a callup. plus i wouldn't bring him to Cinci just to take Cairo's place. I'd rather he got some regular playing time once he gets here.

_Sir_Charles_
04-30-2010, 06:00 PM

Belushi did it better.

redsfandan
04-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Belushi did it better.
MUCH better.

OnBaseMachine
04-30-2010, 07:15 PM
From the Reds twitter page:

MRI of Dickerson’s right wrist revealed broken hook of the hamate bone. Will be examined again tomorrow and a prognosis made at that time.

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

OnBaseMachine
04-30-2010, 07:19 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

"I was actually in the car with my brother and we just pulled up to the restaurant and were sitting in the car. That's when I got the phone call," Heisey said. "I told Rick [Sweet] I was going home after the game. He said keep your cell phone on just in case. He had no idea either. It was the furthest thing from my mind. I was planning on spending the night at my house and eating breakfast in the morning and leave around 1 p.m. the next day to get there for a 7p.m. game."

Heisey's wife, brother and best friend are with him in St. Louis. The rest of his family has another engagement.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/04/heiseys_interesting_promotion.html

klw
04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
From the Reds twitter page:

MRI of Dickerson’s right wrist revealed broken hook of the hamate bone. Will be examined again tomorrow and a prognosis made at that time.

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

Well that is not good for Dickerson. See Wily Mo.

Ron Madden
04-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Heisey made it to St Louis his equipment didn't. He had to borrow shoes from Scott Rolen.

TheNext44
04-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Heisey made it to St Louis his equipment didn't. He had to borrow shoes from Scott Rolen.

And probably gym shorts as well. ;)

VR
04-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Didn't Griff break the hamate hook in his early years in Seattle?

RedsManRick
04-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Well that is not good for Dickerson. See Wily Mo.

He's probably done through the ASB. Luckily power wasn't a huge part of his game -- wrist injuries are notorious in their sapping of power. Heisey should prepare for an extended stay.

fearofpopvol1
05-01-2010, 02:50 AM
He's probably done through the ASB. Luckily power wasn't a huge part of his game -- wrist injuries are notorious in their sapping of power. Heisey should prepare for an extended stay.

Yep. It's very concerning. It usually zaps power for a year. As you say, not a big part of his game, but it still makes him less sexy.

What concerns me most though is that Heisey is probably going to stay with the club, but mostly sit on the bench for a couple months. The guy needs PAs.

reds44
05-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Honestly, Dickerson might be done. I've been one of his biggest supporters, but he's had two gigantic chances the last two years, and hasn't taken advantage of it (even if a major reason why is injury). With him being out for an extended period of time, and when you consider he is 28, I'm not sure how much of a future there is for him.

pahster
05-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Honestly, Dickerson might be done. I've been one of his biggest supporters, but he's had two gigantic chances the last two years, and hasn't taken advantage of it (even if a major reason why is injury). With him being out for an extended period of time, and when you consider he is 28, I'm not sure how much of a future there is for him.

Teams always have space for a guy who can play above average center field and get on base more than 36% of the time. If he's out for a year, he'll be 29 when he returns, not 39. He's not done.

corkedbat
05-01-2010, 11:38 AM

A buddie I used to work with had a mother-in-law that was always calling him to do things for her. She had her own ringtone on his cell: Worf saying, "Captain, we are being hailed by the enemy vessel." :D

I think of that everytime I see Worf or Dorn.

mth123
05-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Dickerson with Surgery next week. Seems like the Reds could add anyone they want from the system (or the scrap heap.. paging Mr. Dye) with CD to the 60 Day DL. Heisey may not be up for the long haul.

fearofpopvol1
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Dickerson with Surgery next week. Seems like the Reds could add anyone they want from the system (or the scrap heap.. paging Mr. Dye) with CD to the 60 Day DL. Heisey may not be up for the long haul.

I would love to see the Reds put Dye in LF. Will they pony up the cash though? I have this feeling that the Reds are content as/is though. :(

mth123
05-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I would love to see the Reds put Dye in LF. Will they pony up the cash though? I have this feeling that the Reds are content as/is though. :(

They need a lefty bat, but they may be waiting for Francisco or Alonso.

pedro
05-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Teams always have space for a guy who can play above average center field and get on base more than 36% of the time. If he's out for a year, he'll be 29 when he returns, not 39. He's not done.

He's not done but he's likely going to bounce back and forth between AAA and MLB and he'll be lucky to get a chance to be a starter again. Teams don't like to depend on guys made of glass who are pushing 30 and haven't yet established themselves.

fearofpopvol1
05-01-2010, 02:09 PM
They need a lefty bat, but they may be waiting for Francisco or Alonso.

They'll be waiting a long time for Francisco. He can't even hit at AAA. And Alonso left the game last night...I'm not sure how severe the injury was or what happen.

See if you can get Dye to sign on for the rest of this season and then maybe he can try to fetch that last contract elsewhere.

pahster
05-01-2010, 03:28 PM
He's not done but he's likely going to bounce back and forth between AAA and MLB and he'll be lucky to get a chance to be a starter again. Teams don't like to depend on guys made of glass who are pushing 30 and haven't yet established themselves.

I'd say he's established himself as a pretty good spare OF. Nothing wrong with that.

bucksfan2
05-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I'd say he's established himself as a pretty good spare OF. Nothing wrong with that.

Yep. I see Dickerson spending all his arb eligable years in Cincy. No reason to move him. He has proved in the past that he is a valuable 4th outfielder. He has nice OBP skills but just can't stay healthy. Hopefuly this wrist injury doesn't effect his whole year.

TRF
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM

You know why, David? Because of the kids. They called me Mr Glass.

I now see Dickerson's name and Samuel L. Jackson's face.

edabbs44
05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Yep. I see Dickerson spending all his arb eligable years in Cincy. No reason to move him. He has proved in the past that he is a valuable 4th outfielder. He has nice OBP skills but just can't stay healthy. Hopefuly this wrist injury doesn't effect his whole year.

That's what he is. He's a spot starter/defensive replacement/pinch runner who should get 35-40 starts per year and lots of playing time in the roles set out above.

That player has value, especially in the NL. But he really never was a starter.

membengal
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Now that he's been up a few days, Dusty, how about Heisey in LF and leading off, and Stubbs dropped down to 7th or 8th?

Worth a shot.

lollipopcurve
05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Now that he's been up a few days, Dusty, how about Heisey in LF and leading off, and Stubbs dropped down to 7th or 8th?

Worth a shot.

You know how it is on Dusty's team -- everybody plays!

Except him. And him.... and him.

TRF
05-03-2010, 01:27 PM
At this point can someone justify Orlando Cabrera? I mean really?

BRM
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM

He's won multiple Gold Gloves...

Chip R
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM

He's a winner. And the RBI man on the team. Isn't that enough?

cumberlandreds
05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Any word on when Heisey is expected to play? I beginning to think an APB needs to be issued.

KronoRed
05-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Any word on when Heisey is expected to play? I beginning to think an APB needs to be issued.

Someone has to clean the bathrooms.

If he's going to be up here you may as well throw him out in LF and see what happens, at least for a few weeks, could it be wose then the auto out in CF right now?

BrooklynRedz
05-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Starting tonight in right field. Batting 7th.

Check out the advanced lineups available several hours before first pitch on the club homepages (below the pitching matchup): http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cin

RichRed
05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Heisey makes his debut tonight, starting for Bruce against a lefty. Per Mark Sheldon.

EDIT: Brooklyn beat me by a nose.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Someone has to clean the bathrooms.

If he's going to be up here you may as well throw him out in LF and see what happens, at least for a few weeks, could it be wose then the auto out in CF right now?

First time up, good for the man to sit in the day or two and get his legs, it's a different beast in the bigs

Caveat Emperor
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
With Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix OPS'ing .611 & .508 respectively, I'm of the mind that Heisey should get a long look in LF while Dickerson remains on the DL.

Raisor
05-03-2010, 03:42 PM
With Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix OPS'ing .611 & .508 respectively, .

that's a 1.119 combined OPS!

woo!

edabbs44
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
With Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix OPS'ing .611 & .508 respectively, I'm of the mind that Heisey should get a long look in LF while Dickerson remains on the DL.

I have a feeling that Heisey will fit right in.

lollipopcurve
05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a feeling that Heisey will fit right in.

One thing's for sure, he'll be a defensive upgrade over Gomes.

Chip R
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM

So is the Venus di Milo.

edabbs44
05-03-2010, 03:57 PM

I hope so.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Eric Byrnes got cut.... be afraid

CTA513
05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Eric Byrnes got cut.... be afraid

You don't want to see him do his stupid flip/roll when trying to throw out a runner?

:D

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:15 PM
You don't want to see him do his stupid flip/roll when trying to throw out a runner?

:D
Ughhh he's the floppiest man ever in the field ain't he?

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Yes, take him away and you have Janish, take him away and who do the Reds have?

Incredibly thin at the position the Reds weren't exactly flush with choices, though I'm sure this post will elicit a plethora of supposed ones.

Sea Ray
05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
The Mariners are making moves to improve their offense. How long 'till we see our front office do the same?

OnBaseMachine
05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Jay Bruce isn't starting tonight? He's been the Reds best hitter since the second week of the season. The team is coming off a series in which they scored a total of six runs in three games. Lefty or not, Bruce needs to be playing, IMO. Heisey should be in left field.

_Sir_Charles_
05-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Incredibly thin at the position the Reds weren't exactly flush with choices, though I'm sure this post will elicit a plethora of supposed ones.

Having Cabrera is a good thing. I'm not upset at that signing at all. The only thing irritating me is the lack of playing time Paul's getting. When he's only getting 1 ab a week, he's never going to hit. He's not even getting late game defensive replacement duty very often...couple times a week it seems.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Having Cabrera is a good thing. I'm not upset at that signing at all. The only thing irritating me is the lack of playing time Paul's getting. When he's only getting 1 ab a week, he's never going to hit. He's not even getting late game defensive replacement duty very often...couple times a week it seems.

He's a backup, that much has been confirmed, what that means as far as playing time that is still in the process of being studied.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Seriously, Jay Bruce isn't starting tonight? He's been the Reds best hitter since the second week of the season. The team is coming off a series in which they scored a total of six runs in three games. Lefty or not, Bruce needs to be playing, IMO. Heisey should be in left field.

Perez has been death to LH's for quite some time, no matter what trying to keep Bruce in a groove shoudl be a main thrust of keeping the offense ticking, including Bruce. So ask yourself, will facing a LH at this juncture help Bruce? Or does avoiding him help keep him from messing up his groove and at the same time get a RH bat in the lineup?

I vote for the later, one bad day against a LH can screw a guys head up and this team needs for that to not happen and they need to see what they got in teh rookie.

nate
05-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Ughhh he's the floppiest man ever in the field ain't he?

He's basically Vlade Divac.

lollipopcurve
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm fine with Bruce sitting out this one. Like WOY said, Perez has been far better vs lefties. I'm hoping Heisey gives someone else a rest either tomorrow night or the next. Really, he's been groomed as a 4th OF -- he plays all 3 spots -- so that's how he should be used until it's clear there's a regular who should be replaced.

Brutus
05-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Perez has been death to LH's for quite some time, no matter what trying to keep Bruce in a groove shoudl be a main thrust of keeping the offense ticking, including Bruce. So ask yourself, will facing a LH at this juncture help Bruce? Or does avoiding him help keep him from messing up his groove and at the same time get a RH bat in the lineup?

I vote for the later, one bad day against a LH can screw a guys head up and this team needs for that to not happen and they need to see what they got in teh rookie.

Agreed.

Career OPS vs. LHP:

Gomes (.884)
Bruce (.622)

I wouldn't advocate sitting Bruce against every lefty, but statistically speaking, this move gives the Reds a better chance of winning.

TRF

Cozart probably does need more time at AAA. Everyone else in the Reds employ that is interesting is in the lower minors.

My gues is, how did they think he was going to suddenly get younger, regain steps and be what he was in the field at age 35? Is it that GM's haven't adjusted to the now new notion that 35 is the new 40? Used to be a time when 35 didn't mean slowing down, but better living through chemistry is harder to do nowadays.

But really, is there no one in all of baseball that the Reds could reasonably target for the position? At this point, I'd rather see Janish everyday for the glove alone.

Hoosier Red

I don't have anything in front of me, but I've been under the impression that his hitting has been adequate. He's led the team in RBI at least going into the weekend.

His fielding on the other hand.

In any case, Janish should play some.

Ghosts of 1990
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm fine with Bruce sitting out this one. Like WOY said, Perez has been far better vs lefties. I'm hoping Heisey gives someone else a rest either tomorrow night or the next. Really, he's been groomed as a 4th OF -- he plays all 3 spots -- so that's how he should be used until it's clear there's a regular who should be replaced.

as bad as Stubbs or Gomes have been.... why sit Bruce?

Let him get ab's against the LH Perez. Perez throws a lot of balls. He isn't anything special, certainly not a top-tier lefty.

Bruce has been swinging it well. He's looked good against lefties so far on a number of occasions.

Just another head scratching small move that follows up a shutout. I wouldn't be surprised if this meager group got 1 or two tonight.

If you're going to sit Bruce against a Santana, against a Jonathan Sanchez, even a Zito or a Wandy Rodriguez then so be it. Otherwise, he needs to be out there.

Brutus
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't have anything in front of me, but I've been under the impression that his hitting has been adequate. He's led the team in RBI at least going into the weekend.

edit: .600 OPS for Cabrera this year

OnBaseMachine
05-03-2010, 04:42 PM

FWIW, Cabrera has a .600 OPS. .236/.263/.337 - .600.

TRF
05-03-2010, 04:43 PM
.705 OPS right now

Cabrera? no, his OPS is .600, .477 over the last week.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
And Janishes in 377 ab's for his career is .605, hardly head turning either.

OnBaseMachine
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
And Janishes in 377 ab's for his career is .605, hardly head turning either.

True, but at least Janish can play defense. Neither Cabrera nor Janish are starters, but if given the choice between an awful hitter and awful fielder or an awful hitter and good defender, give me the latter.

But again, neither one should be starting. The Reds desperately need a shortstop.

Brutus
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
as bad as Stubbs or Gomes have been.... why sit Bruce?

Let him get ab's against the LH Perez. Perez throws a lot of balls. He isn't anything special, certainly not a top-tier lefty.

Bruce has been swinging it well. He's looked good against lefties so far on a number of occasions.

Just another head scratching small move that follows up a shutout. I wouldn't be surprised if this meager group got 1 or two tonight.

If you're going to sit Bruce against a Santana, against a Jonathan Sanchez, even a Zito or a Wandy Rodriguez then so be it. Otherwise, he needs to be out there.

Perez has a 30% strikeout rate against left-handed hitters for his career. They have just a .310 OBP against him. He's not a top-tier pitcher, but he does very, very well against LHB.

Brutus
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Cabrera? no, his OPS is .600, .477 over the last week.

Already had edited. Was looking at 2009.

RichRed
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
The O-Cab's got a .235 BABIP with LD of 20% so maybe he's been a bit unlucky. Not that I'm expecting much above a .700 OPS anyway, but still...

OnBaseMachine
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
From Fay's blog - Heisey pumped for first start

“I’m pumped up,” Heisey said. “First getting called up here, and now getting a chance to start. No one wants to sit and watch. Everybody wants to prove himself and play.”

Heisey, 25, said his wife and a few other family members will be here tonight. Heisey was called up Friday but did not play in the St. Louis series over the weekend. Tonight, right-handed hitting Heisey starts and lefty Jay Bruce will sit, with Mets lefty Oliver Perez on the hill.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/05/03/heisey-pumped-for-1st-start/

TRF
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
The O-Cab's got a .235 BABIP with LD of 20% so maybe he's been a bit unlucky. Not that I'm expecting much above a .700 OPS anyway, but still...

HIs career babip is .285, and while it's possible he's been unlucky for 14 years, i'd guess he's just not a very good hitter.

And he's 35, and clearly he's slowing down in the field. I'd bet his bat is slowing too. He was a bad signing and while Janish hasn't really shown much, he has shown the leather. And for now at least, he's hitting. flop their roles and see if it adds anything to the team's overall production.

_Sir_Charles_
05-03-2010, 04:55 PM
He's a backup, that much has been confirmed, what that means as far as playing time that is still in the process of being studied.

Janish is confirmed to be a backup? You referring to this season, or in general. Because I'm seeing significant improvement in his hitting. He had solid stretches last year, a tremendous spring, and thus far this season he's hit very well when he's gotten playing time. Some guys develop later than others and some guys don't develop until they get to the majors. I guess I'm in the minority when I still see room for improvement from Janish's bat.

But for the sake of argument, even if his bat doesn't improve...he's still shown solid plate discipline and the ability to take a walk. Even without improvement, when offense & defense are taken as a whole he's still at least a league average shortstop IMO.

The only time that I can recall that he got regular playing time in the majors was late last year. Every player can slump...he may have picked a bad time for one. Who knows. But I think the kid deserves more of a shot than what he's gotten.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:56 PM
True, but at least Janish can play defense. Neither Cabrera nor Janish are starters, but if given the choice between an awful hitter and awful fielder or an awful hitter and good defender, give me the latter.

But again, neither one should be starting. The Reds desperately need a shortstop.

Sure he can play defense, that's a known... I'll give everyone that, but using OC's bat as an argument to use Janish is just weak.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Janish is confirmed to be a backup? You referring to this season, or in general. Because I'm seeing significant improvement in his hitting. He had solid stretches last year, a tremendous spring, and thus far this season he's hit very well when he's gotten playing time. Some guys develop later than others and some guys don't develop until they get to the majors. I guess I'm in the minority when I still see room for improvement from Janish's bat.

But for the sake of argument, even if his bat doesn't improve...he's still shown solid plate discipline and the ability to take a walk. Even without improvement, when offense & defense are taken as a whole he's still at least a league average shortstop IMO.

The only time that I can recall that he got regular playing time in the majors was late last year. Every player can slump...he may have picked a bad time for one. Who knows. But I think the kid deserves more of a shot than what he's gotten.

For the sake of an argument...Paul Janish will be lucky to retire with 1300 MLB ab's.

RichRed
05-03-2010, 05:00 PM
HIs career babip is .285, and while it's possible he's been unlucky for 14 years, i'd guess he's just not a very good hitter.

And he's 35, and clearly he's slowing down in the field. I'd bet his bat is slowing too. He was a bad signing and while Janish hasn't really shown much, he has shown the leather. And for now at least, he's hitting. flop their roles and see if it adds anything to the team's overall production.

Yeah, I'm aware he's not much of a hitter (and now not much of a fielder either), but .235's not the same as .285. Just hoping that, since he's already in the lineup tonight, we see a tiny regression to the ol' mean.

TRF
05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
For the sake of an argument...Paul Janish will be lucky to retire with 1300 MLB ab's.

You don't think he can get 1000 more AB's? Meanwhile Juan Castro is in his 15th season.

Sure he can.

nate
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Interestingly, he's had the second most PA with runners on base (41, Votto and Phillips have 47 each) and he's been successful batting in runners 21.1% of the time. Of players with 60 PAs or more, that's the best conversion rate on the Reds.

If you bump that down to 40 PAs, Ryan Hanigan has converted 28.1% of his opportunities into runs.

Go down to 20, and Paul "Babe" Janish leads the team with a whopping 28.6% of baserunners to runs.

Reds SS 2010, batting powerhouses!

_Sir_Charles_
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM

I agree with most of this. But I wouldn't say he was a bad signing. If the roles were flipped...much better signing IMO. We need the depth regardless. He's certainly below average in both facets of the game, but he's at least not a black hole at the plate. But in games Cabrera DOES start...he should be replaced defensively EVERY game.

TRF
05-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Sure he can play defense, that's a known... I'll give everyone that, but using OC's bat as an argument to use Janish is just weak.

no. its desperation. there is a difference.

What is also known is Cabrera is now a defensive liability. Like Jr. in CF was. sad to watch, but it happens to every player. And since he was never anyithing more than a light stick anyway, his value is what? I'm asking because i really don't know.

Janish at least has 1 skill. defense. He also has a knack for hitting doubles and getting walks. He just doesn't hit enough singles. Which is kinda odd.

TRF
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree with most of this. But I wouldn't say he was a bad signing. If the roles were flipped...much better signing IMO. We need the depth regardless. He's certainly below average in both facets of the game, but he's at least not a black hole at the plate. But in games Cabrera DOES start...he should be replaced defensively EVERY game.

a .600 OPS is a black hole of suck.

_Sir_Charles_
05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
a .600 OPS is a black hole of suck.

Yes, but oddly enough, he's still knocking in runs at a solid clip. He may be struggling, but he's far from hopeless with the bat. But we do agree Janish should be playing more.

I'm just shocked that at this point in the season, Nix has gotten more starts than Janish.

Nix starts 6
Janish starts 4 (only 2 at short...2 at third for some odd reason)

Ghosts of 1990
05-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Heisey at best will be Chris Denorfia II

TRF
05-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Heisey at best will be Chris Denorfia II

Maybe, but maybe he's Jeffrey Hammonds, minus the fragility.

westofyou
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM

Was he a superstar in college?

Get in MLB at age 22?

Be a top five pick?

Will he get 3000 PA's in MLB?

If he gets the last one he'll be just like Hammonds, so far he's missed the other stuff.

TRF
05-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Was he a superstar in college?

Get in MLB at age 22?

Be a top five pick?

Will he get 3000 PA's in MLB?

If he gets the last one he'll be just like Hammonds, so far he's missed the other stuff.

And he has to be all of those in order to have Hammonds career? That's silly and you know it.

_Sir_Charles_
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Btw, Dickerson had his surgeries today. 2 of them. Took the hook off the hamate bone and also cleaned out his wrist...whatever that means. Seems they went fine. Still saying 4-6 weeks.

Ghosts of 1990
05-03-2010, 07:13 PM

I hope you're right my friend :)

Topcat
05-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Has Redszone thrown Heisey under the bus yet ?

OnBaseMachine
05-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Lost in the gem thrown by Johnny Cueto tonight was the great night by Chris Heisey. Making his second major league start, Heisey went 3-for-4 with two singles, a 2-run HR, a walk, and 2 RBI. He picked up his first major league hit and first major league home run all in the same night. Congrats to Heisey on a great night. He deserves another start in CF tomorrow, IMO.

11larkin11
05-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Nice job Hizzy

Tom Servo
05-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Lost in the gem thrown by Johnny Cueto tonight was the great night by Chris Heisey. Making his second major league start, Heisey went 3-for-4 with two singles, a long 2-run HR, a walk, and 2 RBI. He picked up his first major league hit and first major league home run all in the same night. Congrats to Heisey on a great night. He deserves another start in CF tomorrow, IMO.
Agreed. Let him feast on Pirates pitching to get a grasp on things.

bucksfan2
05-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Lost in the gem thrown by Johnny Cueto tonight was the great night by Chris Heisey. Making his second major league start, Heisey went 3-for-4 with two singles, a 2-run HR, a walk, and 2 RBI. He picked up his first major league hit and first major league home run all in the same night. Congrats to Heisey on a great night. He deserves another start in CF tomorrow, IMO.

Id start him in LF.

Homer Bailey
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Heisey not in the lineup today. I'm a Stubbs supporter and even I would have put him in CF today (not benching Gomes for a lefty, that's why he's here).

johnfayman #Reds lineup: Cabrera 6, Phillips 4, Votto 3, Rolen 5, Gomes 7, Bruce 9, Stubbs 8, Hanigan 2, Bailey 1. vs. Zach Duke (2-3, 5.13)

OnBaseMachine
05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Agreed, HB. I'm a Stubbs supporter but there's simply no way I would've left Heisey out of the lineup today after the great game he had last night.

TRF
05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, if you want to get Stubbs going, Duke is the guy to do it against. LH's and RH's are just demolishing him. Even Bruce should have no problem. If Stubbs is going to have offensive value as a hitter lower in the order, he has to hit against guys like Duke. If he doesn't, he's the 4th OF I always claimed he is.

Heisey knows one game doesn't earn him the starting spot, even a great game like last night. Let him enjoy it. If the game is close, he'll likely be in at some point.

klw
05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I was hoping to see Stubbs and Heisey today. Stubbs has come around since the drop in the order. 4 for last 12 with 2 bb's and 4 rbi's. I was hoping to have the 3 young guys together in the of for defense too.

edabbs44
05-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I was hoping to see Stubbs and Heisey today. Stubbs has come around since the drop in the order. 4 for last 12 with 2 bb's and 4 rbi's. I was hoping to have the 3 young guys together in the of for defense too.

Can't sit Gomes versus LHPs. Ever.

Homer Bailey
05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
In a SSS this year, Heisey has struggled against LHP (compared to RHP). Does anyone have his career splits? (And a link so I can find this on my own next time?)

OUReds
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
In a SSS this year, Heisey has struggled against LHP (compared to RHP). Does anyone have his career splits? (And a link so I can find this on my own next time?)

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=502317 (http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=502317)

Looks like just a small sample.

edabbs44
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Much better vs LHPs career-wise

.921 OPS vs .799 OPS

www.minorleaguesplits.com

paulrichjr
05-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Last night I was listening to XM-MLB and it sounded like it was broadcasting MLB Network's version of Baseball Tonight. Anyway someone (I think Casey) was talking about Heisey and saying that in Spring Training all the coaches would say things like Alonso, Francisco are both going to be good but have you seen Heisey play? He is really something to watch. Casey was really going on about him.

Homer Bailey
05-12-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=502317 (http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=502317)

Looks like just a small sample.

Thanks.

(Hey HB, you idiot, you want minor league splits and you couldn't find minorleaguesplits.com?)

So Heisey has a .921 OPS vs LHP in his career, and a .799 OPS vs. righties. I really think he should be in there today. Why not ride the hot bat?

edabbs44
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks.

(Hey HB, you idiot, you want minor league splits and you couldn't find minorleaguesplits.com?)

So Heisey has a .921 OPS vs LHP in his career, and a .799 OPS vs. righties. I really think he should be in there today. Why not ride the hot bat?

Not sure that one game = hotness.

Bruce is hot. Gomes kills lefties. Stubbs just sat last night.

I guess that's the reasoning.

Homer Bailey
05-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Not sure that one game = hotness.

Bruce is hot. Gomes kills lefties. Stubbs just sat last night.

I guess that's the reasoning.

While I agree that one game doesn't necessarily equal hot, I don't think Stubbs has really done anything to deserve to be back in there. I'm all for getting Stubbs PA's to bust out of his slump, because I don't think he's nearly as bad as he's been, but I think Heisey should at least get a bit of an extended look.

That being said, I'm almost always wrong on these things.

Absolutely in support of Gomes starting tonight.

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Update on Dickerson from Brian Giesenschlag:

Dickerson seems down about rehabbing wrist. Hit fungo and didn't feel right so he had another MRI. Tough injury to come back from.

http://twitter.com/FOX19Brian

BearcatShane
06-11-2010, 01:47 AM
I like Dickerson, but I like what Heisey brings to the team more. having said that I hope Chris can recover and we'll let the Reds figure out what to do from there.

Degenerate39
06-11-2010, 02:13 AM
I like Dickerson, but I like what Heisey brings to the team more. having said that I hope Chris can recover and we'll let the Reds figure out what to do from there.

I like Heisey better but I like Dickerson better than Nix

Will M
06-11-2010, 02:39 AM
I like Heisey better but I like Dickerson better than Nix

both Nix & Dickerson rated above replacement level in 2009 (Nix +1.0 & Dickerson +1.8).

this year Nix is (so far) +0.3 WAR. Dickerson was off to a slow start prior to getting hurt.

imo both of these guys are valuable bench players.

if/when Dickerson comes back healthy the Reds will have a decision to make. that assumes everyone is still playing well & is healthy.

i believe the Reds can add a decent reliever without trading away any real trading chips. however, if the opportunity to add a real difference maker came up Heisey could be part of a deal. why? lets assume Stubbs is the centerfielder the Reds decide to keep. With bruce in RF that leaves LF for Heisey. Yet Gomes has a reasonable option for 2011 & LF seems to me to be an easy spot to fill either internally (Alonso, Francisco,etc) or externally. Heisey could have more value to the team in trade (because he can play CF) than as a left fielder.

Ron Madden
06-11-2010, 02:42 AM
I like Nix but if push came to shove I'd rather keep Dickerson.

Ron Madden
06-11-2010, 02:46 AM
both Nix & Dickerson rated above replacement level in 2009 (Nix +1.0 & Dickerson +1.8).

this year Nix is (so far) +0.3 WAR. Dickerson was off to a slow start prior to getting hurt.

imo both of these guys are valuable bench players.

if/when Dickerson comes back healthy the Reds will have a decision to make. that assumes everyone is still playing well & is healthy.

i believe the Reds can add a decent reliever without trading away any real trading chips. however, if the opportunity to add a real difference maker came up Heisey could be part of a deal. why? lets assume Stubbs is the centerfielder the Reds decide to keep. With bruce in RF that leaves LF for Heisey. Yet Gomes has a reasonable option for 2011 & LF seems to me to be an easy spot to fill either internally (Alonso, Francisco,etc) or externally. Heisey could have more value to the team in trade (because he can play CF) than as a left fielder.

I have to agree. Despite his ability to stay healthy Dickerson is better in CF than Nix or Heisey

Scrap Irony
06-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I think I disagree. They are similarly valued players, IMO, given the same playing time (and the same positions on defense), or at least valued enough to make it very, very close. Dickerson is cheaper. Nix has more experience off the bench. Dickerson has better range in the OF. Nix has the better arm and actually graded out much, much higher than did the above average Dickerson overall in a similar number of games. Dickerson is the better option for leadoff or a number two hitter. Nix is the better pinch hitter with more power. Dickerson is younger, but about to enter arbitration.

The key, again IMO, is health. You can't count on Dickerson and, therefore, need someone in AAA or on the major league team that can play CF too. While the Reds have Heisey, they may not if Jocketty chooses to deal him. Too, because of Heisey, Dickerson's kind of superfluous.

Besides, Nix has that cool linebacke thing going for him.

Redsfan320
06-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Nix>>>Heisey>>>Dickerson. IMO

RedEye
06-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Nix>>>Heisey>>>Dickerson. IMO

Heisey > Dickerson > Nix... IMO.

Redsfan320
06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Heisey > Dickerson > Nix... IMO.

Quite honestly, it's hard to tell with Nix. I based what I put (him above Heisey and Dickerson) off of this year, but then I remember last year... :eek:. Heisey sure doesn't look bad though, particularly on D. Biggest thing with Dickerson is that all the argument about how good or bad he is is irrelevant if he's not playing due to injury.

pahster
06-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Quite honestly, it's hard to tell with Nix. I based what I put (him above Heisey and Dickerson) off of this year, but then I remember last year... :eek:. Heisey sure doesn't look bad though, particularly on D. Biggest thing with Dickerson is that all the argument about how good or bad he is is irrelevant if he's not playing due to injury.

I don't understand; Nix's line last year was nearly identical to his current slash line. He had an OPS+ of 98 last year. This year, he's at 99.