PDA

View Full Version : Congressman to Selig "Pull All Star Game from Phoenix"

Redlegs_87
04-30-2010, 02:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5151030

Protests about Arizona's recently passed immigration law continue as U.S. Rep. Jose Serrano (D-N.Y.) said he will ask baseball commissioner Bud Selig to pull the 2011 All-Star Game from Phoenix.
The World Boxing Council on Thursday said it will not schedule Mexican fighters in the state, and 40 immigration rights supporters protested outside Wrigley Field, where the Arizona Diamondbacks are playing the Chicago Cubs this week.
Serrano, who represents the Bronx, said he asked Selig to move the game in a letter he sent Thursday.
"This anti-immigrant law is unjust, wrongheaded, mean-spirited and unconstitutional," Serrano said in a statement released late Wednesday. "It is important that everyone who believes in justice and our national spirit of decency speak out against this measure. "MLB has a very loud megaphone, and their rejection of Arizona's action would be an important demonstration to Arizona that we do not tolerate such displays of intolerance in our nation."
Critics say the law will lead to racial profiling by police.
The Mexico City-based WBC called Arizona's law, which makes it a crime to be in the state illegally, "shameful, inhuman and discriminatory."
WBC president Jose Sulaiman said in a statement that the ban on Arizona fights involving Mexican fighters also has been approved by the Federation of Boxing Commissions of Mexico.
The boxing ban will start Saturday.

Boston Red
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I think this is stupid.....unless they move the game to Cincinnati instead. Then it's brilliant.

Redlegs_87
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I think this is stupid.....unless they move the game to Cincinnati instead. Then it's brilliant.

It won't happen but they should say they are "considering it" needs to show how dumb that immigration law is. I mean the MLB has a large number of Hispanic/Latino players. Think they'd be sensitive to the matter.

Jack Burton
04-30-2010, 02:58 PM
So what's the law? No illegals in AZ?

Redlegs_87
04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
So what's the law? No illegals in AZ?

It is a law that basically allows cops to racially profile Hispanics. If a cop decides to pull you over cause he thinks you are illegal he can. You have to show him proof that you are a citizen on the spot. To do that you need like your SS, Birth certificate and what not a Drivers license isn't enough. If you can't they can take you to jail and if you can provide the documents you still have to pay for being in jail.

redsfan_12
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Bring it to Cincinnati!!

Boston Red
04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't think it's baseball's place to get involved in politics.....unless they want to move the game to Cincinnati.

Jefferson24
04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5151030

which makes it a crime to be in the state illegally

It is already a crime to be in the US without permission that is why they are called illegal aliens or illegal immigrants. Not sure what the big deal is. It's kind of like making it a crime to commit a crime.

Pulling the All Star game is senseless, MLB didn't pass the law. The Diamondbacks didn't speak on the floor of the house in favor of it. Why punish them, they aren't responsible? You want to send a message just run your mouth off on a cable news show.

Redlegs_87
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
It is already a crime to be in the US without permission that is why they are called illegal aliens or illegal immigrants. Not sure what the big deal is. It's kind of like making it a crime to commit a crime.

Pulling the All Star game is senseless, MLB didn't pass the law. The Diamondbacks didn't get speak on the floor of the house in favor of it. Why punish them, they aren't responsible? You want to send a message just run your mouth off on a cable news show.

Don't see the big deal? It allows cops to pull over anyone they suspect to be a illegal. Which is basically racial profiling and that isn't constitutional.

Don't mean to start a political debate. My bad. Last post about it. :p

sivman17
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Pulling the All Star game is senseless, MLB didn't pass the law. The Diamondbacks didn't get speak on the floor of the house in favor of it. Why punish them, they aren't responsible? You want to send a message just run your mouth off on a cable news show.

I agree with this completely.

Jefferson24
04-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Don't see the big deal? It allows cops to pull over anyone they suspect to be a illegal. Which is basically racial profiling and that isn't constitutional.

Don't mean to start a political debate. My bad. Last post about it. :p

The law allows officers to question individuals if they have a reasonable suspicion.

I have a cousin and a friend who are both officers in AZ. They can't go off pulling anyone over just because they are Hispanic. Being Hispanic doesn't meet the reasonable suspicion test.

This is just a boarder state's way of fighting back against an issue that the federal government refuses to address.

Jack Burton
04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
It is a law that basically allows cops to racially profile Hispanics. If a cop decides to pull you over cause he thinks you are illegal he can. You have to show him proof that you are a citizen on the spot. To do that you need like your SS, Birth certificate and what not a Drivers license isn't enough. If you can't they can take you to jail and if you can provide the documents you still have to pay for being in jail.
I'd have to do more research before forming a solid stance, but I highly doubt any state would pass a "racial profiling" law. Also, if citizens are "legal" they would have nothing to worry about.

Jefferson24
04-30-2010, 03:33 PM

This is not consistent with what my friends have told me, they are both law enforcement officers in Arizona.

macro
04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry to end the discussion, but we've already turned down a private request from someone in ORG to discuss this topic, in accordance with the policy explained in this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719). Feel free to resume the discussion at the Peanut Gallery site (http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php).