PDA

View Full Version : Phillies fan tasered after running onto field

Pages : 1 [2]

Ltlabner
05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
One more question, do you honestly think a single fan in the stands was scared of that kid?

What the folks in the stands felt is irrelevant.

What TRF is saying is that in today's world you just cant assume every kid being an idiot is just a kid being an idiot. Are they just an idiot kid, or drunk fan or general buffoon...yea probably. But assuming that because it's "always been this way" doesn't mean it always will be.

After the fact is it obvious this was yet another drunk idiot kid. But in the heat of the moment I wouldn't fault the cop for not taking it for granted.

Brutus
05-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Nobody was taking out the WTC when i was a kid.

Go back 10 more years and people were still wearing suits to the ballpark.

I don't think people should be afraid to go to the ballpark. I don't think players, coaches or umpires should fear for their safety.

Tasers can help with that. safely too. at least 99.7% of the time.

Israelis scoff at this.

They've been dealing with bombs and guns since the formation of Israel. And because of one terrorist attack on American soil, the world has suddenly changed? It's a narrow view of the world.

What happened in downtown Manhattan was obviously a tragic day and a reminder of the evil that exists. But the world hasn't changed, only how we as Americans view the world. That's a major difference.

TRF
05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
One more question, do you honestly think a single fan in the stands was scared of that kid?

Nope.

Do you think any of the players, coaches or umpires thought "I hope this idiot doesn't have a gun"?

Brutus
05-06-2010, 06:21 PM
What the folks in the stands felt is irrelevant.

What TRF is saying is that in today's world you just cant assume every kid being an idiot is just a kid being an idiot.

So even though a majority of people are harmless, or at most, idiots, we should assume every idiot is dangerous instead?

Treat the situation for what it actually is and not what it might be.

Brutus
05-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Nope.

Do you think any of the players, coaches or umpires thought "I hope this idiot doesn't have a gun"?

A couple of the players are seen holding the gloves to their face, as if to hide their laughing.

Ltlabner
05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Treat the situation for what it actually is and not what it might be.

Says BTP from the comfort of his computer and with the benefit of hindsight. (Unlike the police officer who made a decision, in the heat of the moment, as the situation was unfolding.) It's always easy to point fingers and appear brilliant when all the facts are already known.

TRF
05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Israelis scoff at this.

They've been dealing with bombs and guns since the formation of Israel. And because of one terrorist attack on American soil, the world has suddenly changed? It's a narrow view of the world.

What happened in downtown Manhattan was obviously a tragic day and a reminder of the evil that exists. But the world hasn't changed, only how we as Americans view the world. That's a major difference.

Sorry, but that's all that matters to me: how me and mine are affected. We didn't have to adjust to life in the gaza strip, because that didn't happen here. But then some local idiot blew up the Murrah building. That's when things changed for me. It was 252 miles from my home. They could have driven past me on the way there for all I know.

Fear shouldn't be a motivator, but it is. the guy broke the law, and evaded arrest. had he run out on the field and stopped, the taser doesn't come into play. He evaded arrest. Its really that simple.

pedro
05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Nope.

That's a different issue, but again, if the guy had a gun and intended to hurt people I seriously doubt he'd run out on the field waving a white towel around.

I just think a lot of folks have become a little more paranoid than is necessary.

Brutus
05-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Says BTP from the comfort of his computer and with the benefit of hindsight. (Unlike the police officer who made a decision, in the heat of the moment, as the situation was unfolding.) It's always easy to point fingers and appear brilliant when all the facts are already known.

It's not brilliance, it's common sense.

TRF
05-06-2010, 06:40 PM
It's not brilliance, it's common sense.

And somewhere Tom Gamboa is going "Hell yeah!"

TeamCasey
05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
As for the second part, not applicable as he was guilty.

By what jury?

RedEye
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Fear shouldn't be a motivator, but it is. the guy broke the law, and evaded arrest. had he run out on the field and stopped, the taser doesn't come into play. He evaded arrest. Its really that simple.

That simple? The last umpteen pages prove this far from an easy point. Calling this a black-and-white issue is the same line of thinking that has caused quite a few riots in recent years--people getting shot in the back "in the heat of the moment" when they are unarmed and posing no threat.

I'm not blaming the individual officer in question--who probably was only following protocol at the time he shot the kid. I'm saying those who set the protocol should take a long, hard look at what constitutes the type of action that calls for a taser.

fearofpopvol1
05-06-2010, 10:32 PM
The ironic part about this is that the Phils have said moving forward that law enforcement will not be involved in these incidents until after said person has been "caught." The kid is fine...he's not suffering any injuries. What good does it do to continue to beat a dead horse? The police department said the officer was within his rights to tase the kid anyway.

I am going to quote myself from last night.

Tony Cloninger
05-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Better a little paranoid than to regret what More could have been done.

IF this deters others from this (And in the TOR at CHI game another idiot ran on the field) ....then it might not be a bad thing. You know what you are doing is wrong.

Like the scene from Airplane!... "They bought their tickets...they knew what they were getting into...I say...Let 'em crash!"