PDA

View Full Version : Great experience at the ballpark today

UKFlounder
05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I won a ticket to the Diamond Seats today and ended up sitting in the 2nd row behind home plate most of the game (before moving to the first row - it was only 1 row difference, but it sure felt much lower. I was basically on the same level as the dugouts.)

The weather was gorgeous - a bit warm, but I'm not going to pick that nit and complain. I would take this type of weather every day of the year if I could.

That was an incredible place from which to watch and listen to a game. The ball hitting the catcher's glove (Cueto hit 95 MPH per the stadium gun a couple of times, but one of Masset's pitches surprised me with how loud it was and the gun measured it at 97). The crack of ball meeting bat was great (literally several times - one bat was shattered & several others cracked during the game)

There was a play at the plate - Hernandez ran through a stop sign and was out by several feet, plus a couple other situations where a runner was on 2nd, the hitter got a base hit and I instinctively expected a play at the plate, only to have the runner hold at third (but even that brief spell of anticipation was a cool feeling.)

The Reds did okay - a bunch of hits, at least of the Met's starter. Takahashi (sp?) came in & basically dominated the Reds for three innings - but many of them were just scattered singles, including a couple infield hits. Finally the Phillips & Gomes HRs provided promise.

The pitching was mostly fine. Cueto had poor control, but 3 runs in 6 innings is not terrible - perhaps it's too generous to call it a "quality start" like it is defined, but it kept the team in the game and was not too bad.

Rhodes struggled, but gave up no runs. Masset did fine, including that surprising 97 MPH heater. Cordero stunk, but, oh well.

The defense did nothing special, but Razor Ramon threw out a couple of runners at 2nd. I think he was 2 for 3 on the day, the first on the back end of a "strike them out, throw them out" and the last to end the top of the 9th.

Of course, Cabrera's walk-off blast was incredible - the first I've ever seen in person. I admit I don't go to a lot of games, so the odds of seeing one aren't great, but I can't imagine being more excited at an early-season game. With our seats, we got to see the "pile on at the plate" celebration up close, which was also cool.

I cannot ever imagine having a better day at the ballpark than today. I don't know how or why I was so lucky to get that ticket, but I surely was blessed as hardly ever before today. It was simply an incredible experience, being that close to the games (Jeff Francouer is really big, and guys like Bruce & Votto aren't exactly small.)

Seeing the foul balls bounce off the screen a few feet in front of your face was cool, and another foul ball smacked below the net right behind the plate and sent some shrapnel through the netting. I guess it was just a couple of pieces of the warning track surface, but one landed on my shirt. I dropped it while trying to figure out what it was, but to be that close to see such small pieces come through the netting was, again, awesome.

I probably could go on forever yet never find the words to describe how much I enjoyed this. I hope some others out there get to have a similar experience some day. It's simply beyond belief, at least to this Reds fan.

UKFlounder
05-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah - I've never seen a scarier scenario than the bottom of the 9th- the lead off man was Cairo, batting .130, followed by Nix at like .178 and then Stubbs at .190 or so. It looked scary when it started and they proved that feeling to be accurate.

I wondered why Dusty did not use Rolen to pinch hit for Cairo, but I guess he wanted to do the double switch in the 10th so that Owings would not be due up soon. Of course, Rolen may have helped avoid the 10th, but all's well that ends well and the good guys won again, so it worked out.

_Sir_Charles_
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
It's amazing what a difference 2 simple things can make at the ballpark. Your seats and a win. :O) Had that same feeling on Weds of the Houston series. Glad you had a great time.

Redsfan320
05-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I was at this game also. Anyone know what was going on in maybe the 5th or 6th, when it seemed that a Met on the bases broke his belt, maybe, and a few member's of Mets' staff came out for a second before play continued?

mdccclxix
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Glad you had a great time. I loved the read and can't wait to get to my first game this year. It really is worth it to sit close. If you've got a date or want to make sure your date has a good time at the game, don't buy her some 5 dollar cheapies, get her near the action at least. The game is alive down there.

mdccclxix
05-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I was at this game also. Anyone know what was going on in maybe the 5th or 6th, when it seemed that a Met on the bases broke his belt, maybe, and a few member's of Mets' staff came out for a second before play continued?

The Mets broadcast said it was the 6th belt busted this year, no joke. :thumbup:

redsmetz
05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
The Mets broadcast said it was the 6th belt busted this year, no joke. :thumbup:

They're leading the leaqgue in that, aren't they?

VR
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share that Flounder, great stuff.

smith288
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Was there about three rows behind reds dugout and it's just so much better of an exp than in the nosebleeds. Nice post.