PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Moyer threw a two-hit shutout tonight

pedro
05-07-2010, 11:36 PM
His rookie year in the majors was 1986. A year BEFORE Jay Bruce was BORN (and also the year I graduated from high school)

Simply unbelievable.

So, where were YOU in 1986?

(I was a freshman at OU)

Will M
05-07-2010, 11:40 PM
i am 45 years old. I love rooting for the old guys in any sport. i was disappointed Randy Johnson retired. I thought he could have pitched as a LOOGY at age 50. that would have been something to see.

kbrake
05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Threw a two hit shut out tonight.

His rookie year in the majors was 1986. A year BEFORE Jay Bruce was BORN (and also the year I graduated from high school)

Simply unbelievable.

(I was a freshman at OU)

At the end of the 1986 season I was busy turning 1.

Tom Servo
05-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Three years away from being born.

Tornon
05-08-2010, 12:42 AM
I was 9 days old when he made his debut

Tony Cloninger
05-08-2010, 12:43 AM
I was watching the Reds go about 9-17 to start the year....they looked like the 1985 season was a mirage...they had old guys like Bell, Diaz and John Denny.
Eric Davis looked to be all hype....Kal Daniels was sent down for an "attitude adjustment" even though he was hitting about .300 with a good OBP.
Mario Soto could not get people out.....and Ted Power imploded as the closer.

Things turned around when Davis got hot....Parker got hotter and almost duplicated the '85 REAL MVP season..... Franco turned into a great closer.

I was in college trying to get by in Algebra and meet girls.

pedro
05-08-2010, 12:43 AM
So what you guys (other than Tony) are saying is you weren't drinking brain stoppers at Ed's Greenery and dancing to meat loaf songs with some girl from toledo named amy? ;)

HeatherC1212
05-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Well, in 1986 I was ten years old and highly enjoying my fifth grade year in elementary school (I loved my teacher that year). I guess I'm sort of in between the 'old' guys and the 'barely in existence' guys here age wise, LOL :laugh:

Congrats to Moyer on a great game. :)

05-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I was thinking george Thorogood was a really great bluesman.

KronoRed
05-08-2010, 01:57 AM
I was 5, the age when I first got in trouble for playing with matches.

nate
05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I was a Junior at Capistrano Valley High School.

Go Cougars!

:cool:

RFS62
05-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Moyer's shutout is historic. He's the oldest man in baseball history to toss a shutout.

Good job, kid.

Always Red
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I was ankle deep in bad beer at a total dive called Streeter's Tavern on Chicago Avenue in the Windy City, which is where I first learned to truly hate the Cubs.

redsmetz
05-08-2010, 08:57 AM

Go Cougars!

Now why on earth is your mascot not the Swallow? Really, someone missed the boat on that one.

redsmetz
05-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I had been married five years, had two of our three kids. I probably went to Opening Day to watch Mario Soto best Steve Carlton though.

BTW, for a nice contemporary look at Moyer and Maddux that early in their careers, read Lonnie Wheeler's book "Bleacher" recounting attending games at Wrigley Field during the subsequent season when both pitchers were in their second season with the Cubs. Wheeler guessed then that Moyer would have the better career. Instead Moyer has become to Maddux what The Dave Clark 5 were to The Beatles (although both bands became "Hall of Famers", I doubt Moyer makes that feat.

Brutus
05-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I was tolerating those stupid alphabet characters in kindergarten.

VR
05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Just finished my freshman year of college. I remember seeing Moyer/Maddux vividly that year. Two young guns that the Cubs were high on. WGN was about the only baseball I could consistently watch, so I did grow to like those teams of the late 70's and 80's.

How is it he can throw a 2 hit shutout and we have guys like Cueto and Bailey that are happy to get by with a shutout inning, yet possess twice the 'stuff'?

Redsfan320
05-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I wasn't born yet. My parents hadn't even met yet. I was -10 years old.

Degenerate39
05-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I was 4 years away from being born

RedEye
05-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I was 11 years old and just beginning to realize that I was a Reds fan.

BTW, Jamie Moyer is now 262-197 for his career (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/moyerja01-pitch.shtml). Anyone think he can manage to get the 38 wins he needs for 300? For so many years now, since he hit 40 and became more effective than ever, I've doubted his ability to do it. Now I'm starting to think he actually could. Still a long shot, but you have to think he's got a chance. Right?

oneupper
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I had just finished my MBA and about to get married. No Mullet.

Cyclone792
05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I was 4-years-old when Moyer debuted, but I don't have any baseball memories from that far back.

BTW, Jamie Moyer is now 262-197 for his career (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/moyerja01-pitch.shtml). Anyone think he can manage to get the 38 wins he needs for 300? For so many years now, since he hit 40 and became more effective than ever, I've doubted his ability to do it. Now I'm starting to think he actually could. Still a long shot, but you have to think he's got a chance. Right?

If his 2010-12 years are similar to his 2007-09 years, then he has a chance. He'd represent a really interesting Hall of Fame case if he did reach 300 wins, that's for sure. An above average pitcher with 300+ wins - Moyer has a lifetime 105 ERA+ - similar guys who put up 270-290 wins can't get in, but it'd be interesting if a guy like Moyer did hit 300 what the voters would do.

That much said, at Moyer's age chances are when he falls off the cliff it's going to be abrupt. I love watching him pitch, though, and it's amazing he can do what he's doing at his age. I just wish he played for a team I didn't despise.

By the way, how's this for an achievement:

Since turning 40-years-old, Moyer is 98-72 with a 101 ERA+ in 1,425 innings pitched.

wolfboy
05-08-2010, 12:21 PM
So what you guys (other than Tony) are saying is you weren't drinking brain stoppers at Ed's Greenery and dancing to meat loaf songs with some girl from toledo named amy? ;)

I was.....it was just a decade later, her name was Kelly, and I don't think it was a meat loaf song.

wolfboy
05-08-2010, 12:22 PM
By the way, how's this for an achievement:

Since turning 40-years-old, Moyer is 98-72 with a 101 ERA+ in 1,425 innings pitched.

Pretty darn impressive. It almost seems appropriate to change "Moyer" to "Chuck Norris".

westofyou
05-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I was 24, living in Berkeley, had hair past my shoulders and was spending more time chasing girls and music than baseball east of of the Bay Area, in short I was keeping an eye on the local teams until E.D. showed up. Oh and I met my wife that summer.

alloverjr
05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
How is it he can throw a 2 hit shutout and we have guys like Cueto and Bailey that are happy to get by with a shutout inning, yet possess twice the 'stuff'?

I was thinking this last night. I no longer want SP's that hit 95 on the gun. Gimme guys that top at 91 with better location and some movement, none of which either of the guys you mentioned have. I'm suprised Price/Jocketty don't push this more on the guys they have.

And I had a mullet.

Unassisted
05-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I was finishing up my first senior year in college and deciding not to go to any of the law schools I had applied to and been accepted at.

dougdirt
05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I was in the hospital at age 2 when Moyer debuted. I was probably doing something awesome at the time though.

Brutus
05-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I was 24, living in Berkeley, had hair past my shoulders and was spending more time chasing girls and music than baseball east of of the Bay Area, in short I was keeping an eye on the local teams until E.D. showed up. Oh and I met my wife that summer.

"I marched, I smoked some grass, I tried to like sitar music and I met Annie. The only thing Annie and I had in common is that she came from Iowa and I had once heard of Iowa."

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

RedsBaron
05-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I was 11 years old and just beginning to realize that I was a Reds fan.

I turned age 31 in 1986.
Moyer's score on the Hall of Fame Monitor is only 55, well short of the 100 score of the "average" member of the HOF. He has won 20 games twice, but has only made one all star team and about the only thing he has ever lead the league in is HRs allowed. Since Tommy John, Bert Blyleven and Jim Kaat have yet to make the HOF even though each one won more than 280 games, for Moyer to have a real shot he needs to get the additonal 38 wins. If he does reach 300 wins I expect he will eventually be inducted into the HOF.
I agree with Cyclone--when he does fade he probably will fall off a cliff.
All that said, it is still a remarkable accomplishment by him to pitch a shutout at his age. I hope he pitches another ten seasons.

westofyou
05-08-2010, 01:28 PM
"I marched, I smoked some grass, I tried to like sitar music and I met Annie. The only thing Annie and I had in common is that she came from Iowa and I had once heard of Iowa."

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

The kicker is my wife is also from Cincinnati and that enabled me to stay connected to the Reds.

I also can't stand sitar music.

Brutus
05-08-2010, 01:39 PM
The kicker is my wife is also from Cincinnati and that enabled me to stay connected to the Reds.

I also can't stand sitar music.

I'd say Berkeley worked out just fine for you!

Tom Servo
05-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I wasn't born yet. My parents hadn't even met yet. I was -10 years old.

Wow. This is the oldest I've ever felt on Redszone.

Brutus
05-08-2010, 04:10 PM

I also cringed when I read that.

Life is funny. You spend 18 years wishing you were grown up and then the next 50-70 wishing you weren't.

_Sir_Charles_
05-08-2010, 07:04 PM
What was I doing in 86 when Moyer debuted? Watching him pitch. I still recall that game. I was watching to see Steve Carlton pitch to be honest (I thought it might be the last time I might get to see him pitch...turned out it wasn't, but I'd only got to see him once more after this game). But Moyer was impressive I thought. Senior in HS at the time. Seems a lifetime ago though.

Raisor
05-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I was 13 and living in Seattle.

Redsfan320
05-08-2010, 08:26 PM

I also cringed when I read that.

Life is funny. You spend 18 years wishing you were grown up and then the next 50-70 wishing you weren't.

Heh. Sorry about that, guys. :p:

RedsManRick
05-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Simply unbelievable.

(I was a freshman at OU)

I was 4 years old and living in south Columbus.

RedEye
05-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I agree with Cyclone--when he does fade he probably will fall off a cliff.
All that said, it is still a remarkable accomplishment by him to pitch a shutout at his age. I hope he pitches another ten seasons.

I would agree with this, but here's the thing: he hasn't fallen off the cliff yet. Honestly, I've been expecting him to plummet for about five years now, and he just hasn't. I still think he's unlikely to reach 300, but I'm rooting for it.

macro
05-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I think I heard someone on ESPN say this morning that Don Sutton pitched against both Robin Roberts and Jamie Moyer.

As for what I was doing in '86, I was finishing up my junior year of college and hoping to impress girls with my 1978 Olds Cutlass with the Pioneer cassette deck, awesome collection of cassettes, and graphic equalizer in the dash. No mullet yet - I didn't develop mine until the summer of '87.

cumberlandreds
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
What was I doing in 86 when Moyer debuted? Watching him pitch. I still recall that game. I was watching to see Steve Carlton pitch to be honest (I thought it might be the last time I might get to see him pitch...turned out it wasn't, but I'd only got to see him once more after this game). But Moyer was impressive I thought. Senior in HS at the time. Seems a lifetime ago though.

In 1986 I was a senior in college and getting ready to graduate. Man,that's been a long time and this guy is still going strong. Amazing!
As I stated in another thread. Moyer is the last MLB player that is older than me. He was born in November 1962 and I was born in April 1963. I would have never thought at my age anyone would be older than me and still playing effectively in any major team sport.

cumberlandreds
05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Here's the box score of Moyer's first MLB game. He started against Steve Carlton. The date was June 16th. So I had graduated college. There's a good chance I watched this game on WGN. I would watch the Cubs and Braves nearly everyday back then. Also,IIRC,Moyer was a hard drinker back then. I think he may have even went into rehab to get himself straightened out. He was someone who you would have never thought to have lasted this long. Also,IIRC,he is Digger Phelps the son-in-law.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1986/B06160CHN1986.htm

Always Red
05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I wonder if Colby Rasmus would describe Moyer's stuff as “doo-doo” and “a bunch of slop” or if he has more respect for him (and the game) than that? :eek:

RichRed
05-17-2010, 10:26 AM

Go Cougars!

I was a junior at Frank W. Cox High School in Virginia Beach.

Go Falcons!

_Sir_Charles_
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
It's about Moyer, so I thought this would be a good place for this.

From Hal....

Speaking of throwbacks, Jonny Gomes got a colossal laugh out of watching pitcher Jamie Moyer of the Phillies wearing a throwback uniform against Milwaukee. For Moyer, who is 47, the throwback uniform was actually the same uniform he wore his first years in the majors.