PDA

View Full Version : One Half Game Out: Cardinals come to town with first place on the line

Kingspoint
05-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Cards lose to the Astros 6-3!

Showdown this weekend.

Civil Rights Game on Saturday.

GIDP
05-12-2010, 12:00 AM
big weekend for sure

mattfeet
05-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Wow, I CANNOT wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These next 4 games are going to tell us a lot about this ball club.

-Matt

bgwilly31
05-12-2010, 12:21 AM
hopefully we step up.

My attitude really hasnt changed since we last went into a series vs the cards. Im still hoping for not a sweep. :(

Griffey012
05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I think we have a good shot at winning each of the 3 games...so I am hoping for 2-1. We just need solid starts or better from our pitching.

Garcia vs. Harang
Wainwright vs. Leake
Penny vs. Arroyo

Vottomatic
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
I think we have a good shot at winning each of the 3 games...so I am hoping for 2-1. We just need solid starts or better from our pitching.

Garcia vs. Harang
Wainwright vs. Leake
Penny vs. Arroyo

We miss Carpenter. That's a blessing.

arkimadee
05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
The Cards aren't hitting as well as they were when we last saw them. We are tearing the cover off the ball. I think we have a GREAT chance of winning 2 out of 3

goreds2
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow, I CANNOT wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These next 4 games are going to tell us a lot about this ball club.

-Matt

If we lose 3 of 4 etc, please, no one request a Fire Sale. It is a long season folks. ;)

arkimadee
05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
If we lose 3 of 4 etc, please, no one request a Fire Sale. It is a long season folks. ;)
amen, we wanted a firesale whenever we were 4 under .500

redsfan_12
05-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Lets go 3-1 in that 4 game stretch. Win today, and take 2 of 3 vs STL and I will be very happy ;)

Vottomatic
05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Well........you have to realize that Dusty has tinkered with the batting order and it's working better now.

defender
05-12-2010, 01:54 PM
hopefully we step up.

My attitude really hasnt changed since we last went into a series vs the cards. I'm still hoping for not a sweep. :(

Last time I agreed with you, this time I am much more optimistic

bgwilly31
05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Last time I agreed with you, this time I am much more optimistic

I wish i could get this sour gut feeling out like you have. But being a reds fan its hard to.

However all the signs point to us firing on all cylinders right now. :thumbup:

Mr Larkin
05-12-2010, 04:20 PM
hopefully we step up.

My attitude really hasnt changed since we last went into a series vs the cards. Im still hoping for not a sweep. :(

If, as a fan, I don't hope for better, how can I expect the team to play better. The stinking Cubs fans continue to believe. We need to as well. We can win the series and I would love to see a Reds sweep and I think it could happen.:thumbup:

ILoveWilly
05-12-2010, 05:08 PM
And FINALLY do something meaningful by taking a major series from St Louis? The ERA of their starters this weekend is 1.18, 2.08, and 1.70. We really gotta come out swinging the bats and get great starts all three days.

Third time is the charm though right? We opened the year losing two out of three to St. Louis. Then lost two of three to them just about two weeks ago. Time for our boys to grow a pair and put their foot down on this crap if we ever want to be taken seriously as a contender. Now is the chance. :beerme:

1990REDS
05-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Its nice going into a cardinals series knowing that were not gonna see carpenter.

bounty37h
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Gotta go in with the loose attitude they have had, go in knowing your going to win, instead of just hoping not to lose the series. They have looked more lately like they truly feel that way, and are picking each other up.

1990REDS
05-12-2010, 05:42 PM
If, as a fan, I don't hope for better, how can I expect the team to play better. The stinking Cubs fans continue to believe. We need to as well. We can win the series and I would love to see a Reds sweep and I think it could happen.:thumbup:

I think cubs fans deep down inside like losing. The only fan base i know that can proudly tell you how many years its been since they won a pennant.

Griffey012
05-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Not trying to be a pessimist, but I feel like the Cards will probably shut us down once again. Seems like every time we get some good momentum going we face the Cards and are lucky to come away with 1/3. Now, I will be at all 3 games this weekend and will be going crazy if we take 2/3 or pull a sweep.

Here is our chance to turn the corner..lets do it!

brm7675
05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
It's great we lit up the Pirates and beat up on the Cubs, but lets remember who they are. It's great we are over .500 but lets see us win the series this weekend then get a bit giddy...:cool:

bgwilly31
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
ehhh you know ive had this attitude for years.

But hell you mine as well get excited and be happy to be a reds fan while we can. :beerme:

arkimadee
05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I know this weekend will be well attended but the performance the Reds give this weekend in my opinion will affect attendance the rest of the season. Last year they had a chance to do this when Stormy Weathers gave up the Grand Slam to Pujols. Lets take 2-3 and get the media talking about this team which increases attendance, which increases payroll and leads to contending teams every year.

davereds24
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I agree 100%. It seems like in years past whenever they have a chance to make a statement with a big crowd they lose. They should draw 90k+ this weekend and if they leave happy attendance should really pick up.

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Last season, the Reds went on their first road trip of the season to Milwaukee, Houston, and Chicago. They took 2 of 3 in Milwaukee, 3 of 4 in Houston, and 2 of 3 in Chicago. They came home with a record of 9-6 and there was quite a buzz about the team.

They returned home on Friday, April 24 to a crowd of 30,060 against Atlanta. Saturday had 33,015, and Sunday had 29,327.

At the game on Friday I was completely shocked as to how many people were in the park. The weather was gorgeous which probably helped.

The same is likely to happen this weekend. The Cardinals are a bigger draw than last year's Braves team, but this is still a really good comparison.

If the weather is great this weekend, look for a really well-attended Spring weekend series.

Griffey012
05-12-2010, 10:21 PM
The Cardinals imploded in the 7th inning last night with poor defense, and pitching that couldn't overcome the adversity. Penny was throwing a great game until an error by Brendan Ryan, then gave up 4 or 5 straight hits/walks/hbp.

Tonight in the 4th, another Ryan error on the fielding, then on the throw, and Lohse implodes immediately after and gives up 5 runs in the innings.

It's nice to see us playing great all around team baseball, and the Cards making the dumb mistakes, imploding, not playing through adversity, etc.

The Cards are slumping, playing terrible, let's kick em while their down and not let them get up!

Vottomatic
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
6-1 Houston after a Keppinger 3 run double and then a Berkman 2 run home run. Nice.

OesterPoster
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Now it's 9-1, and the Cards still only have 1 hit.

OesterPoster
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Now it's 9-1, and the Cards still only have 1 hit.

Vottomatic
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Now it's 9-5, and the Cards still only have 6 hits.

Vottomatic
05-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Now it's 9-5, and the Cards still only have 6 hits.

GIDP
05-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Im hoping this weekend is a blood bath and one in our favor.

HalMorrisRules
05-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Holliday was actually at bat representing the tying run in the 9th with 2 outs but lined out to right. Reds one game back.

FlyerFanatic
05-13-2010, 12:12 AM
it was probably just the baseballs, they werent rubbed down properly....

kfm
05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
I was just looking at a Cardinals forum and one of the threads is on whether or not not people think the Cardinals will be in second place by this weekend. Here is one post that I found very interesting. Take out the names and it sounds almost like a Redzone post about the reds with even some subtle shots at the manager.

"I can see it, and as is I believe many overrated this team, to run away this division. A lot of holes, a few minor leaguers that somehow keep getting thrown out there night in and night out. Not scoring runs puts a lot of pressure on the pitching staff. And you're not going to score a lot of runs with Shu leading off, Yadi who should be you're eighth hitter hitting 5th and 6th. Automatic outs from 6 thru 1, puts too much pressure on 3 thru 5, and they are obviously not coming through. Gotta get a real lead off hitter and a real short stop, wouldn't Izturiz look right nice now!"

HalMorrisRules
05-13-2010, 12:14 AM
How many times over the past 10 years have you heard "the reds arent beating the teams that they should be beating"? So when they actually do beat those teams, people belittle it?

BE HAPPY! :party:

gedred69
05-13-2010, 12:21 AM
My signature statement this time of year no matter up or down, has always been, "C'mon, it's early". The way this team has been playing, the influence of 2 veterans who have played for winners, I've got to say, if this team wins at least 2 games in the series against the Cards, then I believe there is a changing of the guard in the NL West....

NeilHamburger
05-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Pitching match-ups and predictions:

Friday
Jaime Garcia vs. Aaron Harang

Saturday
Wainwright vs. Leake

Sunday
Penny vs. Arroyo

However, and this is a big however, tomorrows forecast looks terrible for St. Louis, with heavy rain and T-Storms all day. If that game gets rained out you know what that means... Carpenter.

My prediction is if the Reds get Garcia, Wainwright and Penny they win 2 of 3. However, if they get Carp I think they lose 2 of 3.

GIDP
05-13-2010, 12:28 AM
link to the forum

GIDP
05-13-2010, 12:29 AM
im going to listen to their post game. I think its on http://lightningstream.surfernetwork.com/Media/player/scripts/player.aspx?call=ktrs

davereds24
05-13-2010, 12:35 AM
well, none of these look like wins on paper, but who knows.

kfm
05-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Oops, forgot to do that.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=721119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=12

foxfire123
05-13-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm afraid to hope. taking 2 of 3 from the Cardinals this weekend would be icing on the cake.

redsfan_12
05-13-2010, 12:45 AM
St Louis is liable to score about 6 runs in the 1st inning after we had that good series on Pittsburgh

Griffey012
05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
well, none of these look like wins on paper, but who knows.

None of them look like wins on paper for us or the Cards, they all look like toss-ups to me. Harang is throwing better, and Arroyo will be alright. I look for Harang and Arroyo to both go 6-7 innigns with 3 ER. We can score that more than 3 runs against the Cards. It is going to come down to a battle of the bullpens and timely hitting.

Now for Wainwright vs. Leake...it's Ace vs. Ace...could it be Leake's busting onto the scene party in a pitcher's duel? He hasn't had that defining performance quite yet. Some good ones yes...but nothing like Homer and Cueto's.

gedred69
05-13-2010, 12:58 AM
And, on weekend series, the Cards fans show up as well. I don't mind them or the Brewer fans for that matter, they both are good baseball people, and several steps up the ladder from Cub Fans. I expect big crowds, of which I will be part of.

davereds24
05-13-2010, 01:05 AM
None of them look like wins on paper for us or the Cards, they all look like toss-ups to me. Harang is throwing better, and Arroyo will be alright. I look for Harang and Arroyo to both go 6-7 innigns with 3 ER. We can score that more than 3 runs against the Cards. It is going to come down to a battle of the bullpens and timely hitting.

Now for Wainwright vs. Leake...it's Ace vs. Ace...could it be Leake's busting onto the scene party in a pitcher's duel? He hasn't had that defining performance quite yet. Some good ones yes...but nothing like Homer and Cueto's.

Garcia vs Harang is hardly a tossup on paper. Garcia is a lights out lefty, Harang always struggles with the Cards.

Any time Wainwright is going against a reds pitcher he's a favorite unless it's against Cueto when he is on.

Penny is a Dave Duncan special. Although he's been hittable he's also been dominant. Arroyo hasn't had back to back quality starts yet and he doesn't like day games.

Cards will be favorites all 3 games but that's why they play them.

gedred69
05-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Not trying to be a pessimist, but I feel like the Cards will probably shut us down once again. Seems like every time we get some good momentum going we face the Cards and are lucky to come away with 1/3. Now, I will be at all 3 games this weekend and will be going crazy if we take 2/3 or pull a sweep.

Here is our chance to turn the corner..lets do it!

As an eternal optimist, I'll go against my usual mantra this time of year, "hey, it's early", if the Reds take at least 2, there will be a changing of the guard in the NL west.

mroby85
05-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Who cares who they're beating right now, I realize they probably aren't as good as the cardinals, but since when have the Reds been so good that it's not exciting to take 2/3 from the Mets, and Cubs, and sweep anyone? I'm excited about this team right now, and am going to be excited until i can't be, because as reds fans, odds are this is the high point of the season, lol.

Jr's Boy
05-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Either way we're all fired up for a HUGE series this weekend.When all the smoke clear's,and the gloves come off,I'll be crunk if we are in first.However I just hope we stick around all season and be a pain in the Cards butt.Could be a fun race this summer if all goes well.

mroby85
05-13-2010, 01:22 AM
I know this weekend will be well attended but the performance the Reds give this weekend in my opinion will affect attendance the rest of the season. Last year they had a chance to do this when Stormy Weathers gave up the Grand Slam to Pujols. Lets take 2-3 and get the media talking about this team which increases attendance, which increases payroll and leads to contending teams every year.

I was on the party deck in CF at the Pujols grand slam game, Homer pitched a heck of a game, and it seemed like they had it in hand. Hopefully they'll learn from that incident this time around and at least not let Pujols be the one to beat them, although they've already shown that they haven't learned that yet this year. I would assume there will be very large crowds with the ball they're playing right now, along with it being civil rights weekend, and st. louis the team they're chasing coming to town. It's the perfect storm for sellouts.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 01:26 AM
If we had taken two of three instead of losing two of three the last time we played the Cardinals (and we went into that one on a winning streak, too), we'd be 1 game ahead right now instead of 1 game behind.

It is imperative that we win this series this weekend. Can't let them put the thumbs down on us twice in two attempts.

Everything these guys have done this season says that they'll do it.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 01:28 AM
1 GAME BEHIND!!!

jhc2010
05-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Attendance for weekend series vs. Cardinals in 2009:

Reds were 15-13, 4 games back entering this series...
Fri. May 8 - 18,016
Sat. May 9 - 40,651
Sun. May 10 - 27,664

Reds were 39-38, 3 games back entering this series...
Fri. July 3 - 41,349 (Pujols GS night)
Sat. July 4 - 37,371
Sun. July 5 - 24,017

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 01:45 AM
im going to listen to their post game. I think its on http://lightningstream.surfernetwork.com/Media/player/scripts/player.aspx?call=ktrs

Any synopsis would be great.

They should be worried.

I think the whole National League is now aware of what's going on with the REDS' starting staff after today. Leake is rock solid. Harang and Arroyo are starting to return to their better selves. And, then Cueto and Bailey deliver a line of: 18IP, 5H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 14K.

That's had to wake up the entire National League. If we end up in 1st Place this Weekend, be become front-runners, not "chance to win 82 games" as Peter Gammons so "optimistically" put it last night.

If we take two of three from the Cardinals, the sports writers from around the United States are going to all try writing articles about the REDS.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm afraid to hope. taking 2 of 3 from the Cardinals this weekend would be icing on the cake.

When the light's this turned on, which it is from the REDS, they're "expecting" (as am I) to win this series in Cincinnati in front of the home crowd on Civil Rights Weekend.

We have our "leader" and ACE of the staff, opening up the series on Friday, followed by our most consistent, solid pitcher going Saturday, followed by our most savvy Veteran going on Sunday.

jhc2010
05-13-2010, 01:51 AM
...AND the Cardinals have to play on Thursday. Our bullpen will be as well rested as they are coming off the All-Star Break!!

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 01:51 AM
It's great we lit up the Pirates and beat up on the Cubs, but lets remember who they are. It's great we are over .500 but lets see us win the series this weekend then get a bit giddy...:cool:

That's fine if it was just three games, but our Starters have been pitching well for 15 games now. This is a 15 game stretch with only one bad outing among them. That's just unbelievable. I've never seen it from the REDS in the last 41 years of watching their boxscores every day. Add a solid bullpen to the equation and some pretty decent defense, and that's a formula for long-term success, not just a 3-game run at the worst team in baseball. This formula can beat the Cardinals, the Giants, the Phillies,... anybody.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 02:00 AM
The Weekend forecast for Cincinnati, Ohio:

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USOH0188

Friday:
Morning showers, possibly a rumble of thunder. Highs in the low-70's. Precipitation 60% (in the morning).

Saturday:
Partly cloudy. Highs in the low-70's. Precipitation 0%.

Sunday:
Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper-60's. Precipitation 20%.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 02:02 AM

And, Walt himself has said in the past that attendance determines how much money they are willing/able to spend, even inferring that early season attendance can effect how they spend in July.

GIDP
05-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Tied for Wild Card.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Tied for Wild Card.

I was just going to look that up after seeing that the Giants lost. (Phillies lost, too.)

nouseforaname
05-13-2010, 02:12 AM
I try not to get too excited this early (because it hasn't ended well in years), but just can't help myself this year! The team really looks like they are coming together. Huge series this weekend...sure hope the starters can keep it up.

arkimadee
05-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Attendance for weekend series vs. Cardinals in 2009:

Reds were 15-13, 4 games back entering this series...
Fri. May 8 - 18,016
Sat. May 9 - 40,651
Sun. May 10 - 27,664

Reds were 39-38, 3 games back entering this series...
Fri. July 3 - 41,349 (Pujols GS night)
Sat. July 4 - 37,371
Sun. July 5 - 24,017
I didn't realize the Pujols game was so late in the year but it was the DEATH of the Reds last year. It wasn't the loss, it was the way they lost. It drained the team for the next month. Lets hope something like that doesn't happen again.

Griffey012
05-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Garcia vs Harang is hardly a tossup on paper. Garcia is a lights out lefty, Harang always struggles with the Cards.

Any time Wainwright is going against a reds pitcher he's a favorite unless it's against Cueto when he is on.

Penny is a Dave Duncan special. Although he's been hittable he's also been dominant. Arroyo hasn't had back to back quality starts yet and he doesn't like day games.

Cards will be favorites all 3 games but that's why they play them.

Harang had a 3.00 ERA in 2 starts against the Cards last season, 5.79 in 08, and 3.48 in 07. Opening day he went 5IP with 3er, and 5/2 he went 6IP with 3ER. He usually "struggles" because he goes up against Carpenter nearly everytime...and doesn't get much help from the pen.

Garcia is far from a "lights out" lefty. He is off to a fantastic start, but with absolutely unsustainable GB%. He has yet to give up a home run this season, don't think for a second he leaves GABP without someone going yard on him.

The Cards are obviously the favorite in the Wainwright game, I am just saying Leake may have his dominant coming out party moment in a big game like that. I can see him being up to the task of keeping us in the ballgame till we get to the bullpens.

As for Arroyo...the last time I read about him "not liking day games" he went out and threw 8 innings of 1 run ball...against the Cards in the 3rd game of the season opening series. I also believe Arroyo led the league in quality starts last season, or between some long spanning range of dates, no reason to follow the gambler's fallacy and assume he can't have back to back good outings.

I honestly think the first and last games are pretty evenly matched, and the Cards are the favorite on Saturday.

Caveman Techie
05-13-2010, 08:41 AM
I hear this all the time about "well it's just the Astros", or "It's just the Pirates". Does that mean that the W doesn't count the same as a W against a better team? The Cardinals get to play the Astro's and Pirates too, they aren't just playing other first place teams and in the last week the mighty Cards lost 3 out of 5 games to those two bottom dwelling teams.

topsyt
05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
It is time-Walt has made his moves and the youngsters have been youngsters long enough-I am expecting 2 of 3 from the Cards and we move from pretenders to contenders.

If not the free fall begins.

Vottomatic
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Gonna be tough. Cards lead all of mlb in pitching e.r.a.

bounty37h
05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
My signature statement this time of year no matter up or down, has always been, "C'mon, it's early". The way this team has been playing, the influence of 2 veterans who have played for winners, I've got to say, if this team wins at least 2 games in the series against the Cards, then I believe there is a changing of the guard in the NL West....

Central?

texasdave
05-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Houston needs to 'nail' Carpenter today. :)

ian_madden
05-13-2010, 12:06 PM

The St Louis Cardinals were in the NL East, we (Cincinnati Reds) were in the west. Now we both are in the Central. Isn't that funny?

Go Reds!!!!

texasdave
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Houston is up 4-0 on the Cardinals so there is a good chance the Reds will be only one half game out when the showdown starts. Of course if we were over in the ORG it would be because the Central Division is so weak and have nothing at all to do with how well the Reds are currently playing. :D I kid! I kid!

mroby85
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Cardinals are down 4-0 in the 3rd, Reds could possibly overtake 1st place tomorrow night! :D

GIDP
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
St. Louis announcers call Bud Norris "Cy Norris".

Even their announcers are whiney little children.

GIDP
05-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Apparently Chris Carpenter threw a fit about Carlos Lee doing something like slamming a bat.

OesterPoster
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Apparently Chris Carpenter threw a fit about Carlos Lee doing something like slamming a bat.

You mean it's not slick balls this time? :D

GIDP
05-13-2010, 03:51 PM
You mean it's not slick balls this time? :D

Not yet, but im sure its coming,.

OesterPoster
05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Carpenter is probably done for the day. He's due up 3rd in the 6th. Kind of hoping they burn through a couple bullpen guys.

GIDP
05-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Now Bud Norris hit Yadier Molina and the Cardinals annoucners are saying Carpenter should hit Bud Norris next inning.

OesterPoster
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Hmm, they let him hit. Cards might only get Pujols one more AB.

mroby85
05-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Ive been watching it streamed, and Lee slammed his bat after popping out, and Carpenter said something to him, Lee wasn't happy, and both bullpens emptied, but nothing really happened, Just typical St. Louis whining.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Whoever changed the title of this thread, thanks.

Would you also change it to 1/2 game after the Cards go down to the Astros this afternoon?

4-1 bottom of the 8th in St. Louis.

OesterPoster
05-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Cool. 2 on, 1 out and Schumaker hit into a DP with Ludwick on-deck and Pujols next.

HalMorrisRules
05-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Beware Cards: The Reds are coming (http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/round-two/round-two/2010/05/beware-cards-the-reds-are-coming/)

Interesting read.

GIDP
05-13-2010, 04:52 PM
.5 game out now.

Hope we take it to them tomorrow.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Sweet!

UPRedsFan
05-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Almost wish the Cards would have won today. Can't see them losing 6 straight. On the other hand maybe they'll be so down in the mouth about getting swept by the Astros it'll carry over for the weekend

redsfan_12
05-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I dont think Ive been this excited in a long time. This weekend is going to be special

Griffey012
05-13-2010, 06:32 PM
This weekend is going to be amazing! We had better take over first place on Friday so I can just go Reds crazy in Cincy bars after the game!

Jones1
05-13-2010, 07:30 PM
With the Cards loss to the Stros today the Reds and Cards go into the weekend series tied for 1st. This will be a great and competitive series with sold out crowds and the back drop of the civil rights game. Do the Reds finally win a series over the Cards? The pitching match ups look favorable, so i'd say yes!

Baseball may be relevant again in Cincinnati, well at least it will this weekend..

FlyerFanatic
05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
pretty sure we're .5 game back

sivman17
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
pretty sure we're .5 game back

yes

GIDP
05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
we do have a half game lead in the Wild Card though.

FlyerFanatic
05-13-2010, 07:34 PM
we do have a half game lead in the Wild Card though.

oh sweet! didnt know that

Cant Touch This
05-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, at least we can say whichever team wins the first game of the series will hold sole possession of first place going into game 2. The Reds will emerge from this weekend anywhere from 2.5 ahead of the Cards or 3.5 behind. You could say this series is Yuge with a capital Y.

Mark T
05-13-2010, 10:51 PM
If you are going to be the best, you have to beat the best. I want two out of three. I really want all three. If it's only one, it will be weak sauce. If they get swept, then I will know that we have miles to go before we sleep. Just like last year, and the year before and the year before ...

The Voice of IH
05-13-2010, 11:23 PM
pitch around Pujols and the Reds should be fine. Cards hitting has STUNK lately. don't let the Machine beat you and a sweep just may be possible!

1990REDS
05-13-2010, 11:41 PM
pitch around Pujols and the Reds should be fine. Cards hitting has STUNK lately. don't let the Machine beat you and a sweep just may be possible!

I agree. Dont let him beat ya this weekend.

Griffey012
05-14-2010, 12:22 AM
I agree. Dont let him beat ya this weekend.

Naw man, he always beats us, so that means he is due to fail!

Griffey012
05-14-2010, 12:59 PM
I have not been this giddy for a Reds game/series in a loooong time. Probably not since the 1 game playoff.

We have had some series of similar importance, but with teams that were just a mirage. I felt this team could make some noise before the season, and I think most everyone here did. Too see them actually make some noise will be a fantastic feeling.

bgwilly31
05-14-2010, 02:12 PM
I have not been this giddy for a Reds game/series in a loooong time. Probably not since the 1 game playoff.

I cant agree more.

Its been awhile since ive been sitting at work counting down the hours till i can get home crack one open and watch an intense Reds game. :beerme:

Maybe im over doing it. But this feels like playoffs!

arkimadee
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Just remember this. No division is won or lost in the second week of May. If you recall the Reds have been in first place in May on numerous ocassions the last 10 years. If we get swept or do the sweeping, nothing will be decided. I'm just as excited as everyone else about this roll but I don't want to get my hopes to high or low on this series alone.

Griffey012
05-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Just remember this. No division is won or lost in the second week of May. If you recall the Reds have been in first place in May on numerous ocassions the last 10 years. If we get swept or do the sweeping, nothing will be decided. I'm just as excited as everyone else about this roll but I don't want to get my hopes to high or low on this series alone.

C'mon Arkimadee, don't burst our fun! I completely agree with what your saying. The difference this year as to years past was there was a decent consensus that was relatively high on our squad here on RZ. In the past year's we have been in first in early May we have been playing way over our heads. Up until recently we had been playing way worse than we should have.

And I promise you that if things don't go as planned this weekend, you will not see me here saying the whole team needs to be blown up like some people will be. And if we sweep, I won't be here saying playoffs, but I will be thrilled.

Off to Cincy I go...

Reds
05-14-2010, 04:55 PM
this is my first post, nice to find an active reds forum.

May 27 last year we were 26-20 by my records. I'm usually optimistic about our chances to compete, and I will continue to be as long as we put competent youth on the field. I think we have a team this year that has the ability to win 82-92 games.

As for tonight's game, we'll see if Harang (who's been OK lately) gets a jolt from seeing the young guys pitch. If he does this rotation could really turn nasty (with continued consistency of course).

1990REDS
05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
So pshyced for tonights game. Since i couldnt watch wednesdays game (not on TV) or listen (not allowed to listen to radio at work) and an off day yesterday, its seems like forever since ive seen them play!!:eek:

The Voice of IH
05-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I have started writing for a website that covers all of Major League Baseball. It is a site that lets young writers (I just got out of high School) get their feet wet. I am going to post my per series report, I would like any feed back (helpful please) that you can give.

CARDINALS-REDS PLAY FOR FIRST PLACE

As many people thought in the beginning of the season, the Reds and Cardinals have been able to separate themselves from the rest of the NL Central. In fact, they are the only teams, in the 6 team division,
that have winning records. And this weekend, they will square off for first place.

Both teams have been heading in opposite directions lately. While the Reds swept their pervious foe the Pittsburgh Pirates (14-20) and won the series before, St. Louis has just come off of being swept by the Houston Astors (13-21).

The Reds have played well this season against everyone but the Cardinals. Their combined Non-Cardinals record is 17-11, but when playing the Red Birds, they are only 2-4. Obviously the club has been Cincinnatiís kryptonite. But unlike Superman, the Reds have a chance of overcoming it.

Cincinnati is lucky to miss St. Louisís number 1 starter Chris Carpenter (4-1), but they do have to face 3 pitchers whoís ERA is under 2.08. While non of the pitchers who the Reds send up, despite being the best of the rotation, has an ERA under 3.00 (2 of which, Harang and Arroyo, are above 5).

With the Reds behind the Cardinals by only a half a game, the team that is able to take 2 of 3 will hold first place at the end of the weekend.

Starting Pitching Matchups:

Jaime Garcia (3-2) ERA 1.18 vs. Aaron Harang (2-4) ERA 6.02
Adam Wainwright (5-1) ERA 2.08 vs. Mike Leake (3-0) ERA 3.10
Brad Penny (3-0) ERA 1.70 vs. Bronson Arroyo (2-2) ERA 5.36

Vottomatic
05-15-2010, 04:47 AM
The Reds did pretty well against the Cardinals last year, but struggled even against the rest of the league.

What's interesting is that we may struggle against the Cardinals this year, but possibly do well or hold our own against the rest of the league, and even then finish the best we have in a long while.

So screw the Cardinals. They may own us this year, but they're struggling against everyone else, and we're not so far.

Screw'em.

GIDP
05-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Last nights game was a frustrating game but this team seems to care about being on the field more than any other team since I can remember.

The Voice of IH
05-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Cards Homers Pushes Pass Reds

It was 2 homeruns, Pujols (8) and Ludwick (5) both barley got the ball over the right field fence to give the Birds a 4-3 win and took game one of this all important series. The homeruns, which both scored two runs, gave the Cardinals a 4-0 lead which lasted until Drew Stubbs of the Cincinnati Reds crushed one to deep left center field that pushed two across as well. Despite a rally in the 9th, the Reds where only able to push one across as a game ending double play was produced by closer Joe Mather to pick up his 8th save of the season.

The win snaps a three game losing streak for St. Louis, While it ends a 4 game win streak posted by the Reds. The Cardinals are now up one and a half games above the Reds with 2 more games to be played in Cincinnati.

Both Pitchers where excellent tonight, Garcia (4-2) pitched 7 innings of 2 run baseball, while losing pitcher Aaron Harang (2-5) also had a great outing, considering the two homers he gave up would have been simple outs in any other ball park.

On an off note, the scrape about code and ethics that the Cardinals where involved in yesterday vs. Houston did not translate to tonightís game. When Brendan Ryan struck out to end the top of the second, both helmet and Bat went flying. And when Joey Votto missed a pitch to hit, he two slammed his bat in angerÖno words where exchange for either incident.

The Cards and Reds go back at it tomorrow night at 7:10, but donít be surprised if the game is a little delayed due to ceremonyís, as it is the Gillette Civil Rights game where the Cincinnati Reds and Major League Baseball will be honoring past heroes who has helped create equality in baseball and in America.

:thumbdown

GIDP
05-15-2010, 04:01 PM
What idiot wrote that?

Joe Mather picked up a save? Jamie Garcia went 7 innings?

The Voice of IH
05-15-2010, 06:44 PM
What idiot wrote that?

Joe Mather picked up a save? Jamie Garcia went 7 innings?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wow I am an idiot