PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Reds Games on TV - WHY?

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 01:08 AM
There will be no Reds TV for today's game in Pittsburgh.

In fact, only 6 of the next 10 Reds Games will be broadcast locally.

What gives?? Why would you fly your entire TV crew to Atlanta and televise only ONE game??

UPCOMING REDS GAMES NOT ON TV:
Wed. May 12, 12:35 PM @ Pittsburgh
Tues. May 18, 12:35 PM vs. Milwaukee
Thurs. May 20, 1:05 PM vs. Atlanta
Sat. May 22 7:05 PM vs. Cleveland

I guess I will have to pull up an illegal internet video feed of the other team's broadcast or crank up WLW.

With the Reds on such a roll, I wish I could see these boys in action!

brachial pleXUs
05-12-2010, 01:15 AM
I guess I'll have to turn on 1450 here in Louisville and hope they don't decide to air Colin Cowherd (:rolleyes:) instead

gilpdawg
05-12-2010, 01:18 AM
They never air weekday day games, except for opening day. We're getting 145 games. Methinks some people are spoiled. Remember when Channel 5 did around 60 games a year and that was it? The Cleveland game is because there's a Fox National TV game going off at the same time and they have exclusivity.

davereds24
05-12-2010, 01:19 AM
I understand not showing the day games, but that Indians one is odd.

gilpdawg
05-12-2010, 01:21 AM
I understand not showing the day games, but that Indians one is odd.

Well, you've gotta pay the piper. The piper being Fox.

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 01:34 AM
They never air weekday day games, except for opening day.Really?

Explain these games on TV:
Mon. May 31, 4:15 PM, @ St. Louis
Thurs. July 1, 2:20 PM, @ Chicago Cubs
Fri. July 2, 2:20 PM, @ Chicago Cubs
Fri. Aug. 6, 2:20 PM, @ Chicago Cubs
Wed. Aug. 25, 3:45 PM, @ San Francisco
Mon. Sept. 6, 3:10 PM, @ Colorado

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 01:36 AM
We're getting 145 games. Methinks some people are spoiled. Remember when Channel 5 did around 60 games a year and that was it?It's not the stone age anymore. Every game possible should be on television.

davereds24
05-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Really?

these are late afternoon games that end once many are home from work. way different than a start before 2pm.

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 02:33 AM
these are late afternoon games that end once many are home from work. way different than a start before 2pm.2:20 PM is "way different" from a start before 2 PM?

Okay, using that logic, why are these games not televised either?

Wed. June 23, 3:35 PM, @ Oakland
Wed. July 28, 2:10 PM, @ Milwaukee
Thurs. Sept. 9, 3:10 PM, @ Colorado

gilpdawg
05-12-2010, 07:31 AM
You're just being difficult. You know the point I was trying to make.

Ok, fine, they ALMOST never show afternoon games. Better?

Sometimes I hate this place.

FlyerFanatic
05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
prob just looking for a way to boost radio audiences. i'm sure talk radio stations are struggling, this is just a way to get more people to listen. i dont mind it, i think its nice to listen to games on the radio every once in awhile

Girevik
05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Really?

I remeber the days when you were lucky to get a few games a year....ony when they were the network game of the week.

I think they tend to broacast the day games on Holidays (May 31 is Memorial day, lots of people take a long weekend around the 4th of July, Sept 6 is probably Labor day). Other than that it's pretty darn rare to see an afternoon game on TV.

mroby85
05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Does anyone know if the game is being streamed live online today anywhere? I know often times a Bengals game isn't on tv, and they come up with a link from somewhere that shows the game...

mattfeet
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know if the game is being streamed live online today anywhere? I know often times a Bengals game isn't on tv, and they come up with a link from somewhere that shows the game...

In for an answer...

-Matt

mroby85
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I asked on go-bengals too, and checked out channelsurfing.net, not having any luck thus far. I checked the Pirates web site, and it says its on FSN there, so hopefully we can get a stream from the pittsburgh broadcast.

NeilHamburger
05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
check justin.tv and ustream for possible streams.

mroby85
05-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I just posted on a bengals message board asking, they're usually good about coming up with streams. Hopefully it works, I don't like missing games when they're playing like this, lol.

arkimadee
05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/37198-Streaming-MLB-Today-Wed-May-12

If you have a stream torrnet this link will work.. Watching it right now, it has mlb network on.

mattfeet
05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.justin.tv/mlb_reds#r=Hol5O7Q~

That SHOULD work once the game begins.

-Matt

arkimadee
05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I also don't mind listening to the radio for a game or two. Takes me back to the old days where I caught most of the games. Tim Kelch and Mary is doing the games today. To me that is the reds best radio combo right now.

lidspinner
05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I actually like it when they are not on TV...lets me listen to the game and actually get something done around the house....but now its pouring rain so I cannot do anything outside and I wish it were on TV....I cant win

mroby85
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice work! it usually works pretty well during football season, hopefully it will with this game too!

1990REDS
05-12-2010, 04:30 PM

hahahaha I know what ya mean:)

brachial pleXUs
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM

I kinda know what you mean. Every now and then, I get the feeling that if I ever publicly admitted I didn't have a clue what UZR, WPA, wOBA, PDQ etc. were, or that I agreed with the Orlando Cabrera signing or the Dunn trade, I would be immediately and unceremoniously booted from the site.

Not that I would ever say any of those things. ;)

jhc2010
05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
prob just looking for a way to boost radio audiences. i'm sure talk radio stations are struggling, this is just a way to get more people to listen.Not likely. WLW is enjoying the best ratings it has ever had. It has FAR better ratings than any other station in Cincinnati.

http://www.radio-info.com/site/markets/grid/cincinnati

gilpdawg
05-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I kinda know what you mean. Every now and then, I get the feeling that if I ever publicly admitted I didn't have a clue what UZR, WPA, wOBA, PDQ etc. were, or that I agreed with the Orlando Cabrera signing or the Dunn trade, I would be immediately and unceremoniously booted from the site.

Not that I would ever say any of those things. ;)
Well, see, I am one of those saber nerds, and I didn't agree with either one of those things you mentioned. Now, Cabrera before he lost his range, sure.:D

jhc2010
05-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Crank up your radio - after tomorrow's game, only 2 of the next 5 games are televised.

arkimadee
05-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't understand the whole Saturday night situation.. It will not be on STO in Cleveland either. I understand that Fox is doing some national broadcasts on that night but say nothing about doing the Reds-Indians game. The game that makes no sense of not being on TV is the Thursday 2:20 game against the Braves. There is no excuse with all the Braves fans in the surrounding region and the lack of TBS Braves games anymore on not to have that game on locally.

jhc2010
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Did everyone do okay with just their radios today.

It's really annoying when you hear Marty talk about seeing the replay from the Milwaukee TV broadcast.

One of the best games of the year and no one in Reds country saw it except for the ~17,000 in the park today.

Do the Reds expect us to travel to Atlanta to see Thursday's 1:05 PM game? Is that why it is not on local television?? :confused:

Moonlite Graham
05-18-2010, 09:29 PM

It's really annoying when you hear Marty talk about seeing the replay from the Milwaukee TV broadcast.

One of the best games of the year and no one in Reds country saw it except for the ~17,000 in the park today.

Do the Reds expect us to travel to Atlanta to see Thursday's 1:05 PM game? Is that why it is not on local television?? :confused:

I watched the whole game on MLB TV today. And yes Iam traveling to Atlanta to be at the 1:05 game on Thursday .:thumbup:

Jones1
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Thursdays game vs the braves will be on the mlb network. You'll have the channel whether you have satellite or cable. For direct tv customers the channel is 213.

HalMorrisRules
05-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Really?

You really have to question May 31st and Sept 6th? They are holidays, people are off of work to watch the game.

Cubs day games are games that they have traditionally broadcast. I have always felt they did it because for years we could watch the games on WGN and they didn't want us watching WGN so they broadcast also. Either that or, since WGN/CSN broadcast every game, they knew they would have a broadcast of the game to piggy back on.

The SF game in August, I am only guessing because, since it is such a late start, most people would be able to catch at least half of it after work unlike a 12:35 game.

gilpdawg
05-19-2010, 01:19 AM

I don't believe it's the Reds....it's FSN Ohio. I always heard that they didn't believe the ratings would be high enough for those afternoon games. Now, with the monster ratings they pulled for Monday night's game, they may have to rethink that.

HalMorrisRules
05-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Actually Thursdays game is on the MLB Network. And Gilpdawg is right. FSN bought the rights to show the Reds and it is their "right" to show or not show particular games.

huber14
05-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Crank up your radio - after tomorrow's game, only 2 of the next 5 games are televised.

for those who get it the Thursday day game @Atlanta will be on the MLB network

edit: sorry didn't read the post above

sivman17
05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
i love me some mlb.tv

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 02:26 AM
One more day of suffering with no television. Today will be the worst because it's a primetime game against the in-state rival. I guess FOX thinks we will enjoy Yankees/Mets better than our hometown teams.

arkimadee
05-22-2010, 02:28 AM
One more day of suffering with no television. Today will be the worst because it's a primetime game against the in-state rival. I guess FOX thinks we will enjoy Yankees/Mets better than our hometown teams.
The game isn't on sportstime ohio in Cleveland either I don't think.. What a shame. Why can't they just move the game to a day game so it won't compete against Fox and be able to show the game on air.

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 02:37 AM
The game isn't on sportstime ohio in Cleveland either I don't think.. What a shame. Why can't they just move the game to a day game so it won't compete against Fox and be able to show the game on air.Good question. If they started at 4 PM it could be televised. Since it's at 7, STO is not allowed to show it either.

Maybe someone should tell the Reds so the same thing does not happen in a month when Cleveland visits Cincinnati.

These games today will not be televised anywhere in the USA:
Cincinnati @ Cleveland
Tampa Bay @ Houston
Atlanta @ Pittsburgh
Toronto @ Arizona

The Cardinals, White Sox, Nationals, Royals, and Twins all have figured it out and scheduled games beginning before 4:15 PM ET.

arkimadee
05-22-2010, 02:45 AM
Good question. If they started at 4 PM it could be televised. Since it's at 7, STO is not allowed to show it either.

Maybe someone should tell the Reds so the same thing does not happen in a month when Cleveland visits Cincinnati.

These games today will not be televised anywhere in the USA:
Cincinnati @ Cleveland
Tampa Bay @ Houston
Atlanta @ Pittsburgh
Toronto @ Arizona

The Cardinals, White Sox, Nationals, Royals, and Twins all have figured it out and scheduled games beginning before 4:15 PM ET.
This is by far the dumbest thing Major League baseball has tried in a while. Why would you put a very little meaning game in prime time against the NBA playoffs and expect it to do anything but poor ratings for FOX. I understand the Yankees and the nationwide popularity but it's not like it's an every Saturday happening so the casual fan isn't going to know a national baseball game is on Saturday night. They are just going to be mad because the local team isn't on and will probably watch something else.

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 02:55 AM
It's regional coverage. Most of the country will receive NYM/NYY.

Percentages for 5/22/10 MLB on Fox:

NY Yankees @ NY Mets 54%
Chicago Cubs @ Texas 22%
Detroit @ LA Dodgers 13%
Boston @ Philadelphia 11%

http://www.the506.com/sports/MLB10/may-22.html

It looks like from the link above that Reds country will get different games.

Cincinnati gets the Cubs/Rangers game. Columbus gets Yankees/Mets. Dayton will see Boston/Philadelphia.

arkimadee
05-22-2010, 03:01 AM
The best game in that whole bunch is the Phillies and the Red Sox

goreds2
05-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Anyone with XM Satellite radio, they will be on channel 178 tonight. It will be the Indians broadcast though. XM only air's the home broadcast teams.

http://www.xmradio.com/schedule/sport/get_mlb_schedule.jsp

1990REDS
05-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Its a joke that 2 ohio teams playing cannot be seen on tv in ohio. I thought the whole point of interleague play was to get attendance a tv ratings up with matchups you dont usually see.

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Well MLB and FOX killed that dream when they scheduled these primetime games during the same weekend as Reds/Indians.

ian_madden
05-22-2010, 12:57 PM
I say end inter league play since they won't show the games. This is a joke. Anything Bud Selig touches tarnishes.

jhc2010
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
At least after tonight, we have TV for every game during the next week and a half.