PDA

View Full Version : Should Dusty Tried To Steal Stubbs in the 9th?

redsfan_12
05-15-2010, 09:53 AM
When there was one out with Hanigan up. It's easy to second guess yourself when you don't win, but I was thinking about it. Stubbs is one of the fastest guys in the major leagues, and Molina is probably one of the best catchers. If Stubbs makes it, then we tie it up on Hanigans single. However, if he gets thrown out, we pretty much don't have a chance. I thought he would atleast try a hit and run with Hanigan who makes good contact. Just my thoughts...

goreds2
05-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I think they said during the inning that the Cards are the toughest team to steal on.

mroby85
05-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I mentioned this in another thread, assuming that you send Ramon up, I would try the double steal, because it would automatically take away the double play, and you would still have a guy in scoring position, that's assuming he throws someone out. Having your best base stealer on 2nd, I think thats a risk that would've been worth taking, when you have a major DP risk at the plate anyway, and it gives you the possibility of getting someone to 3rd with 1 out, and eliminating the double play.

redsfan_12
05-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I mentioned this in another thread, assuming that you send Ramon up, I would try the double steal, because it would automatically take away the double play, and you would still have a guy in scoring position, that's assuming he throws someone out. Having your best base stealer on 2nd, I think thats a risk that would've been worth taking, when you have a major DP risk at the plate anyway, and it gives you the possibility of getting someone to 3rd with 1 out, and eliminating the double play.

Im talking about before we had two men on

bgwilly31
05-15-2010, 11:26 AM

i commented on your post in the other thread. However now i see what your talking about.

I agree a double steal in that situation might have worked.

But really the chances of stubbs getting to 3rd are very slim. But still worth the shot.

Let me rephrase> Worth the shot if your rustydusty and you insist on sending slowpoke hernandez up there.

GIDP
05-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Stubbs is an exceptional base stealer but there is something inside me that says no in that situation.

I do think they should have double stolen once they put Heisey on base though. Ramon didnt give them that chance.

bgwilly31
05-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Did anybody else notice ehrnandez Complete lack of effort on the play. He didnt hussle out of the box. Instead watched the ball. And also didnt finish the play. He was still 10ft off the bag when they got him at first. Im not even sure if he ever touched first.

Completely unacceptable and he should ride the pine for that.