PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 05/16/10 Minor League Updates

muddie
05-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Carolina has now won nine of their last eleven games and will look to continue their red hot play in game two of the five game series with the Suns today at 2:00 when the Mudcats will send Daryl Thompson to the hill and the Suns (24-11) will counter with Tom Koehler.

Three guys that have been instrumental in the recent resurgence for Carolina are, Eric Eymann at 3B, Jake Kahaulelio at 2B, and Kris Negron at SS.

I've got the Reds/Cards on Extra Innings but am seriously considering going to the Mudcats game today. Rain is a good possibilty here so we'll see how that works out.

mth123
05-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Negron, with a .770 OPS and a .384 OBP while playing well at SS, may be an overlooked sleeper in the Reds system.

Good pick-up.

Orenda
05-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Negron, with a .770 OPS and a .384 OBP while playing well at SS, may be an overlooked sleeper in the Reds system.

Good pick-up.

The OBP and speed is an interesting combination for the SS position.

GOYA
05-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Bats @ Rochester - 1:05

Burke DH .243
Cozart SS .279
Alonso LF .385
Balentien RF .200
Terrero CF .366
Sutton 1B .222
Valaika 2B .325
Frazier 3B .200
Castillo C .247

Maloney P 3.14

muddie
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Decision made, heading out to the Mudcats game. The sun is in and out and that's good enough for a game.

Edd Roush
05-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Alonso on fire again today. 1-1 with a BB and a SB

Bats up 2-0 in the bottom of the 4th.

GOYA
05-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Maloney - 5IP - 3H - 2BB - 5K

Pitches-strikes: Maloney 85-44

Bats up 3-0 in the 6th

Scrap Irony
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Maloney is probably ready to help the big league club right now, but who's place would he take? Each pitcher in the rotation has pitched well over his last start, and four start averages are also really decent.

Great to have depth.

GOYA
05-16-2010, 03:31 PM
The Bats' bullpen is failing them.

Bats down 4-3 in the 7th, Redwings still batting

Edd Roush
05-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Maloney is probably ready to help the big league club right now, but who's place would he take? Each pitcher in the rotation has pitched well over his last start, and four start averages are also really decent.

Great to have depth.

I think I would like to see Maloney take over for Leake some time in early August. Leake is likely to hit his innings quota around then. I know some will say that Leake can go more innings because he is a finesse guy, but I really want to handle him with kid gloves. Maloney has gone 146 innings at least in each of the past 4 years, topping out at 170.2 innings in 2007. I think he is a good candidate to go 180 innings this year and might be a good starter for August and September.

Edd Roush
05-16-2010, 03:39 PM
I guess Leake may be more prepared for 150+ IP than I thought originally. Apparently, Leake threw 142 innings for AZ St. last year and then 19.2 innings in the AFL. He may be a candidate to throw 175 innings this year.

LoganBuck
05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I guess Leake may be more prepared for 150+ IP than I thought originally. Apparently, Leake threw 142 innings for AZ St. last year and then 19.2 innings in the AFL. He may be a candidate to throw 175 innings this year.

Just keep in mind that Leake was dealing with tendinitis towards the end of the college season last year. Remember Edinson Volquez is due back sometime in late July as well.

HokieRed
05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
I suspect we'll need at least Maloney and, if he's ready to go, Volquez, before it's over.

HokieRed
05-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Alonso 2 for 3 with a walk.

dougdirt
05-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Daryl Thompson left the game pointing at his shoulder while he talked to the trainer, from Ben Badler's twitter page.

aubashbrother
05-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Daryl Thompson left the game pointing at his shoulder while he talked to the trainer, from Ben Badler's twitter page.

When is the Daryl Thompson as a starter plan gonna end ? Stick him in the pen where his stuff should play up

Will M
05-16-2010, 04:07 PM

Great to have depth.

I would call up Maloney to replace Fisher. use Maloney as the long man out of the pen.

LoganBuck
05-16-2010, 04:11 PM

The poor guy, there is only so much duct tape, baling twine, and super glue.

GIDP
05-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Maybe its Thompson thats insisting on starting. I dont know if they would let him make that choice but he might be trying to force their hands.

RedsManRick
05-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I think I would like to see Maloney take over for Leake some time in early August. Leake is likely to hit his innings quota around then. I know some will say that Leake can go more innings because he is a finesse guy, but I really want to handle him with kid gloves. Maloney has gone 146 innings at least in each of the past 4 years, topping out at 170.2 innings in 2007. I think he is a good candidate to go 180 innings this year and might be a good starter for August and September.

Do we know that Leake has an innings quota? I think he threw more innings last year than Maloney and he's exactly a high stress thrower.

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I would call up Maloney to replace Fisher. use Maloney as the long man out of the pen.

The way the Reds starters are rolling right now, I don't think Matt would get enough work in. Leave him in Louisville to keep him on a regular schedule.

But that being said...I'd still consider sending Fisher back to Louisville and bring up an extra bat instead. 1 too many bullpen arms for my taste right now.

reds44
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
The Reds already have a long man, his name is Micah Owings and he hardly ever pitches. Why would we need another one?

Caveat Emperor
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
The Reds already have a long man, his name is Micah Owings and he hardly ever pitches. Why would we need another one?

Because it would also free Baker to use Micah Owings as a pinch hitter in higher-leverage situations late in the game without fearing that he might need him if the game goes to extras.

reds44
05-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Because it would also free Baker to use Micah Owings as a pinch hitter in higher-leverage situations late in the game without fearing that he might need him if the game goes to extras.
The days of Owings giving you anything useful with his bat are done now that he's a reliever.

mace
05-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Dave Sappelt singled in two runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to give Carolina an 8-7 victory. The Mudcats had led early, 6-1, but the bullpen squandered the lead in the late innings.

Also today, the Lynchburg and Louisville bullpens squandered leads in the seventh inning. This comes after Dayton's bullpen squandered a lead last night in the 14th. It's an epidemic.

muddie
05-16-2010, 07:31 PM

This is what I saw while at the game...

Thompson took a hard hit grounder off, what appeared to be, his right foot during the top of the fifth inning with one out. The ball was deflected to the shortstop who played the ball and threw the runner out at first. Thompson threw one pitch after that and stepped off the back of the mound toward second base. After a brief discussion with Negron, Bell and Mattocks (manager and trainer), rush out to the mound. After some discussion Thompson and company head for the dugout. I believe this is a foot injury rather than an arm issue. I'll look into this.

It is a shame in that Thompson was really in control and was very sharp. He was one out from being eligible for a win. His pitch speeds were 59-95 during his time on the mound today. He had a very good off speed pitch that was a beautiful compliment to his fast ball. He was using his fastball to set up the off speed pitch, and done a really good job of it.

He handled the bat extrememly well also. He was two for two with two RBI. He punched an outside pitch right over the first baseman's mitt to drive in two runs. I told my wife that he could not have thrown the ball in a better spot if he had wanted to. He waited on the pitch and just punched it into right field.

I'm planning on getting out to tomorrow's game although the forecast is ugly. It is Tom Cochran versus the fading Andrew Miller.

Benihana
05-16-2010, 07:37 PM

Thompson took a hard hit grounder off, what appeared to be, his right foot during the top of the fifth inning with one out. The ball was deflected to the shortstop who played the ball and threw the runner out at first. Thompson threw one pitch after that and stepped off the back of the mound toward second base. After a brief discussion with Negron, Bell and Mattocks (manager and trainer), rush out to the mound. After some discussion Thompson and company head for the dugout. I believe this is a foot injury rather than an arm issue. I'll look into this.

It is a shame in that Thompson was really in control and was very sharp. He was one out from being eligible for a win. His pitch speeds were 59-95 during his time on the mound today. He had a very good off speed pitch that was a beautiful compliment to his fast ball. He was using his fastball to set up the off speed pitch, and done a really good job of it.

He handled the bat extrememly well also. He was two for two with two RBI. He punched an outside pitch right over the first baseman's mitt to drive in two runs. I told my wife that he could not have thrown the ball in a better spot if he had wanted to. He waited on the pitch and just punched it into right field.

I'm planning on getting out to tomorrow's game although the forecast is ugly. It is Tom Cochran versus the fading Andrew Miller.

Andrew Miller is in AA now? Wow. I'd try to buy low if I could, although the Marlins aren't fools.

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2010, 07:47 PM
From Conner Glassey of Baseball America:

#Reds LHP Philippe Valiquette sitting 94-96 mph, touched 98 with armside run for Mudcats. Highlight of the day, for me.

http://twitter.com/conorglassey

nemesis
05-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe its Thompson thats insisting on starting. I dont know if they would let him make that choice but he might be trying to force their hands.

I would say a switch between him and Jordan Smith might be in both their best interests. Smith has been horrible out of the pen. Switch Smith back to the rotation and Thompson down to closer.

nemesis
05-16-2010, 08:00 PM
From Conner Glassey of Baseball America:

#Reds LHP Philippe Valiquette sitting 94-96 mph, touched 98 with armside run for Mudcats. Highlight of the day, for me.

http://twitter.com/conorglassey

I say it's time to push the guy up a notch in the system. Let Power work with him nad his control. Adkins has become ineffective and a non factor to the big league club. Valiquette could be a legitimate candidate in taking Rhodes role over next season if Bray is still having arm, elbow and shoulder complications.

muddie
05-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Andrew Miller is in AA now? Wow. I'd try to buy low if I could, although the Marlins aren't fools.

I'm guessing this is a rehab start for him, don't know for sure. I would hope he is not viewed as a AA player at this point...but I don't know.

The irony in this for me is that I saw him pitch a rehab start here for the Mudcats two years ago when the Mudcats were a Florida AA affiliate. While with Detroit, Miller was traded for one of the most successful Mudcats of all time, Miguel Cabrera. The guy is back but sitting in the 'other' dugout this time. I'm thinking Miller may not be the guy he was projected to be back when.

mth123
05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Dave Sappelt singled in two runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to give Carolina an 8-7 victory. The Mudcats had led early, 6-1, but the bullpen squandered the lead in the late innings.

Also today, the Lynchburg and Louisville bullpens squandered leads in the seventh inning. This comes after Dayton's bullpen squandered a lead last night in the 14th. It's an epidemic.

These bullpen meltdowns have me wondering about a health update on some guys who could help. Bill Bray, Jared Burton and Mace Thurman. Particularly interested in what the deal is with Thurman. I missed the details on his injury.

JaxRed
05-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I say it's time to push the guy up a notch in the system. Let Power work with him nad his control. Adkins has become ineffective and a non factor to the big league club. Valiquette could be a legitimate candidate in taking Rhodes role over next season if Bray is still having arm, elbow and shoulder complications.

Guy has a 4.76 ERA, he doesn't need a promtion yet. Valiquette has huge guns. Just doesn't look "pitcher-like". Anyone else see that? Muddie?

Edd Roush
05-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Do we know that Leake has an innings quota? I think he threw more innings last year than Maloney and he's exactly a high stress thrower.

I have no idea about whether or not Leake has a set season innings quota. I just sort of hope so. Maloney threw more innings in their regular seasons, but Leake did pitch after a long layoff for 19 and 2/3 in the Arizona Fall League.

Edd Roush
05-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Just keep in mind that Leake was dealing with tendinitis towards the end of the college season last year. Remember Edinson Volquez is due back sometime in late July as well.

Volquez would be a nice replacement for Leake's spot in the rotation, too. I guess with the discussion of Maloney being put in the Reds' rotation, I was thinking of the best candidate to be replaced rather than who would be the best candidate to take an opening. I hope the starters recent run of success keeps up and we don't have any quality related issues and we can be talking about innings quotas.

Kingspoint
05-17-2010, 03:51 AM
The OBP and speed is an interesting combination for the SS position.

It is if you've been a REDS' fan the last few years.

:D

Kingspoint
05-17-2010, 03:53 AM

hmmm

Kingspoint
05-17-2010, 03:55 AM

Thompson took a hard hit grounder off, what appeared to be, his right foot during the top of the fifth inning with one out. The ball was deflected to the shortstop who played the ball and threw the runner out at first. Thompson threw one pitch after that and stepped off the back of the mound toward second base. After a brief discussion with Negron, Bell and Mattocks (manager and trainer), rush out to the mound. After some discussion Thompson and company head for the dugout. I believe this is a foot injury rather than an arm issue.

That's a relief.

Kingspoint
05-17-2010, 03:57 AM
When is the Daryl Thompson as a starter plan gonna end ?

Probably not for at least another year and a half or another major injury, whichever comes first.

GIDP
05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Thompson isnt on the 40 man so its not like they are exactly in a rush to make that choice also. Hes also still only 24 which honestly is pretty young all things considered.