PDA

View Full Version : Reds ranked #10 in ESPN Power Rankings

mattfeet
05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
I dont put much weight into these rankings, but it's still nice to see some love from ESPN!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

"The Reds' ERA over the first 18 games was 6.14. Over their last 19 games, it's 3.35 as the Reds have gone from last to first in the NL Central"

-Matt

nemesis
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
The coaching staff (Baker, Price) as well as the front office (Jocketty) mismanaged the way the starters got their work in during spring training. Painfully obvious. Hopefully going into next year it will be managed a who lot better.

GIDP
05-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey at least we are above the cards

lol wait.

sabometrics
05-17-2010, 04:31 PM
ESPN is running the Reds out on just about every show as the leadoff MLB story today. It's interesting to get these windows every few years to see what the layman's perception of this team is, as well as the few people I would actually consider MLB "experts" on that network.

Just got done listening to Scott Van Pelt put the Reds in the same boat as the Royals, Orioles, Pirates, etc. and sell them as a nice feel-good story but not much else. Right now the majority of the national sports media is voicing its surprise (or saying I-told-you-so if they took a flier in the preseason and called this team a sleeper), and if our pitching continues like this, going into June most of them will still be surprised at what this team can do.

GIDP
05-17-2010, 04:35 PM
ESPN really misses the chances of making that network great when they all dismiss things going on. They really dont fight the lable of being the Yankees and Redsox channel. Its a shame because its good for baseball and I have to imagine that its good for them if they at least touch on everyone a few times a month.

1990REDS
05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
ESPN really misses the chances of making that network great when they all dismiss things going on. They really dont fight the lable of being the Yankees and Redsox channel. Its a shame because its good for baseball and I have to imagine that its good for them if they at least touch on everyone a few times a month.

Exactly. ESPN kills baseball by only talking abouyt 2 teams. Why is the NFL so huge, because everyone is relavent. A team from a tiny market like Grren Bay can be relavent if they win. Now im not debating if its espns fault or baseballs fault but they need to find ways of making a series between smaller market teams more interesting. I would think that u would do that by talking about them. Hopefully thier baseball coverage in general picks up once the NBA playoffs are over with.

Zimmers
05-17-2010, 07:20 PM
The coaching staff (Baker, Price) as well as the front office (Jocketty) mismanaged the way the starters got their work in during spring training. Painfully obvious. Hopefully going into next year it will be managed a who lot better.

Interesting that you feel the starters were mismanaged in ST. I thought the same thing when the season got underway. During ST iidnt think they had enough work but then again I never really pay attention to that kind of stuff. Definently a slow start by the staff but damn do they look good now. The reds are on fire and I am loving and enjoying the moment.

scott91575
05-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Some of that is not having a 5th starter. They needed to give multiple guys a lot of looks to determine who the 5th starter would be. Another issue is Cueto had a much different offseason (very little work compared to the past where he had a lot of work), and I am not sure they knew how to handle him. Finally, Bailey was an unkown also. It should improve next year if there is a set rotation and some more knowledge into how the pitchers react to Spring Training.

ian_madden
05-18-2010, 01:22 AM
How set is our rotation next year? Harang? Bronson? Chapman? Volquez? Wood? That is a nice rotation (if the old guys keep up the good work), but those guys aren't the solid guys for next year. Leake, Cueto, Bailey are the Locks for next year. The others have ??? either injuries, contracts, or simply unproven.

ian_madden
05-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Some of that is not having a 5th starter. They needed to give multiple guys a lot of looks to determine who the 5th starter would be. Another issue is Cueto had a much different offseason (very little work compared to the past where he had a lot of work), and I am not sure they knew how to handle him. Finally, Bailey was an unkown also. It should improve next year if there is a set rotation and some more knowledge into how the pitchers react to Spring Training.

How set is our rotation next year? Harang? Bronson? Chapman? Volquez? Wood? That is a nice rotation (if the old guys keep up the good work), but those guys aren't the solid guys for next year. Leake, Cueto, Bailey are the Locks for next year. The others have ??? either injuries, contracts, or simply unproven.

Hanover
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I agree with the comments on ESPN. I totally get having the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Mets, etc. as the teams you show most when they have a game. There is no question the ratings are better for those teams. What I don't get is the disparity in coverage on Sportscenter and especially Baseball Tonight.