PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce's offense is a joke

will5979
05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
How many more game are we going to have to witness this scrub come to bat with runners in scoring position and whiff like he has never seen a high fastball in his life?

I blame the last 2 losses on him. Harang could have won his last 2 starts if not for the so called Bruce Almighty. Everyone else is doing their job on offense, its about time this kid has a gut check and starts doing his!

bgwilly31
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM
jay bruce has some terrible swings thats for sure.

ian_madden
05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
How old is he? He has improved vastly over the past few weeks. He will be fine.

will5979
05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
How old is he? He has improved vastly over the past few weeks. He will be fine.

How old is Jason HEyward?

I don't care how old he is, he is in the gosh darned Major Leagues and needs to start acting like it!

CySeymour
05-20-2010, 12:24 PM
He has a .365 obp and a 113 ops+. Yep, that just screams of ineptitude.

will5979
05-20-2010, 12:34 PM
He has a .365 obp and a 113 ops+. Yep, that just screams of ineptitude.

He is costing us wins, I'm frustrated.

CySeymour
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
THen why not ship out Masset as well...he gave up the winning runs.

Since May 11, Bruce is only hitting .345 with a .441 obp. Yeah, bench him!

will5979
05-20-2010, 12:47 PM
THen why not ship out Masset as well...he gave up the winning runs.

Since May 11, Bruce is only hitting .345 with a .441 obp. Yeah, bench him!

Masset should not even be in the picture. The point is that if Bruce would have delievered (like the younger Heyward did) then Coco Cordero would have nailed the save. 3-2 mount with 2 outs and runners on, get a base hit and possibly 2 score, hit a hr and you've broken the game wide open. He ONLY has 4 HRs this year, its almost June.

CySeymour
05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Because Cordero has been such lights out, huh?

The Reds lost by one run...all it all, it was a team loss. For the most part, Bruce has been fine. SUre he needs to improve, but hardly worth a benching.

GIDP
05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Bruce has been on base in every game this month outside of this game and may 2nd.

lol What a scrub.

Since April 12th hes been on base in every game hes played in other than 4 rofl. Guy is a total waste of space.

jredmo2
How many more game are we going to have to witness this scrub come to bat with runners in scoring position and whiff like he has never seen a high fastball in his life?

I blame the last 2 losses on him. Harang could have won his last 2 starts if not for the so called Bruce Almighty. Everyone else is doing their job on offense, its about time this kid has a gut check and starts doing his!

what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

stevekun
Bruce may be struggling but he still is one of the best defensive right fielders in the game. This thread just proves that some people need to complain...even when their team is in first.

I know you hope bruce gets out of this little funk he is in but we do need to chil.

Hanover
05-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Oh my goodness! Two bad games! Trade him for a bag of balls!

Give me a break.

I am hoping that you are being sarcastic.

will5979
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Bruce may be struggling but he still is one of the best defensive right fielders in the game. This thread just proves that some people need to complain...even when their team is in first.

I know you hope bruce gets out of this little funk he is in but we do need to chil.

Yes I do hope he gets out of it!

And you're right, I'm just bitter over the loss and looking to blame someone, I'll admit it. Call me greedy or spoiled but I'm enjoying the winning and I don't want it to stop!

krm1580
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Yeah being in last place tends to have that effect....oh wait a minute, I was looking at that upside down. You need to relax, even the 1975 Reds lost 54 games.

Jay Bruce will be fine. He is vastly improved over last year and as long as he continues trending in that direction he will be a very good player.

By the way Jason Heyward is a generational talent its not really fair for anyone to be compared with him. Its like saying Joey Votto sucks because he does not hit as well as Albert Pujols.

Alpha Zero
05-20-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't agree with what the OP said, but it is definitely true that Bruce has struggled to hit with RISP this year (.222 BA). It's also true that his power has fallen off quite a bit. Perhaps that will change as he continues to recover from his wrist injury, but he hasn't shown the HR power so far in 2010.

Given that information combined with the fact that Bruce's OBP is .365 right now, would it be a good idea to bat Bruce in the lead off spot until he gets more comfortable and his power starts to come back? To date, Bruce's slash line when leading off an inning is a robust .289/.386/.579. He's also quick on the basepaths, and his K's won't hurt so much at the top of the order.

I don't know if that's a good answer to the problem, but I think that it's an interesting idea.

brm7675
05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
And your clueless, how is he costing us wins? Do you even watch the games? Does he have bad swings, sure he does, most young players do, but to state he is costing us wins is just wrong.:thumbdown:thumbdown

Quatitos
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't agree with what the OP said, but it is definitely true that Bruce has struggled to hit with RISP this year (.222 BA). It's also true that his power has fallen off quite a bit. Perhaps that will change as he continues to recover from his wrist injury, but he hasn't shown the HR power so far in 2010.

Given that information combined with the fact that Bruce's OBP is .365 right now, would it be a good idea to bat Bruce in the lead off spot until he gets more comfortable and his power starts to come back? To date, Bruce's slash line when leading off an inning is a robust .289/.386/.579. He's also quick on the basepaths, and his K's won't hurt so much at the top of the order.

I don't know if that's a good answer to the problem, but I think that it's an interesting idea.

His BA with RISP may be low, but his OBP with RISP (.383) is pretty high, meaning that he is not making a lot of outs in these situations. Whats even better, with RISP and 2 outs, his OBP is .464 (.211 avg though). Could he bring up his average with RISP? Sure he could, but he is far from hurting scoring opportunities.

Take this into account with the fact Gomes is normally batting behind him, and look at his RISP splits so far. 444/.441/.741 with RISP, .600/.667/1.000 with RISP and 2 outs. With Bruce batting in front of Gomes while he is hot, all I personally would want out of him would be to get on base and give Gomes one more person to knock in. Hopefully Bruce can start to hit a bit better with RISP before Gomes cools off, but with Gomes as hot as he is, Bruce is definitely doing a good job with his opportunities with RISP.

nemesis
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
His power is down because he shortened his swing up a bit to increase contact. Increased contact has occurred in the form of hard low liners. He got robbed of a hit by McClouth in his second AB. How is that his fault. He is finally starting to break through as a hitter. Give him another month. By July once he has his swing down he should start elevating some of those liners and still hit 25 to 35 HR's this season.

I was opening this thread expecting to see this as some post started in April... Wow. Guess I was wron. Is there someway I can get ORG privliges? Please? Take me, goreds2, GIDP, Kingspoint, bgwilly31, mroby35 among others? Please? LMAO...

mattfeet
05-20-2010, 01:51 PM
This is the dumbest post I think Ive ever seen........

will5979
05-20-2010, 02:00 PM
This is the dumbest post I think Ive ever seen........

And you can kiss my big hairy butt! I have 1st Amendment rights and will speak my mind.

Ænima
05-20-2010, 03:51 PM
You can't win every game. I was livid at Hernandez when he grounded into the DP last friday. The next night he was the hero at home plate.

Ups and downs. That's baseball.

Caveat Emperor
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
And you can kiss my big hairy butt! I have 1st Amendment rights and will speak my mind.

The Frst Amendment prevents the federal governement (and, by extension, state and local governments) from passing laws that infringe upon your freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.

Unless you're planning on alleging that anyone involved in this thread is a state actor or that the website RedsZone is run by state actors, you're going to have a hard time proving that your First Amendment rights are being impacted by anything anyone has said.

While you're running that by your in-house counsel, I'd suggest you knock off these types of posts.

nemesis
05-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Seriously. Come on. This is a forum with mostly intelligent conversation and generally good natured posting among fellow Reds fans. If you ever want anyone to take you serious or even respond to your posts, be civil. Alot of people will put you on the ignore list or even have you banned if you keep this up. So lets have a decent conversation. Ok?

kyred14
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Jay Bruce treats old people like crap. And he stole my lunch money.

Jerk

Ænima
05-20-2010, 05:51 PM
You can't win every game. I was livid at Hernandez when he grounded into the DP last friday. The next night he was the hero at home plate.

Ups and downs. That's baseball.

Two hours later I'm struggling to embrace my own statement. :(

wojo1025
05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't mean to pile on, but of all the people to be frustrated with over the last two loses I'm not sure Bruce ranks in the top 10. This topic is a stretch to say the least.

1990REDS
05-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I thought this was a sarcastic thread when i read the title. imagine my surprise when i saw it was real. gimme a break.

ian_madden
05-22-2010, 02:12 AM
BRUUUUCCCEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very encouraged by his offense as of late. I'm happy to see so many come to his defense. I don't think batting him leadoff is a bad idea, but I like our lineup as it is. Lets not over think and mess up what is going good right now.

RedsIn07
05-22-2010, 02:19 AM
I saw this thread and thought... "oh must be some kind of joke."

Apparently not and I'm just dumbfounded by this.

Vottomatic
05-22-2010, 12:26 PM
He's in a mini-slump right now. But overall, I see improvement from him this year.

sivman17
05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
I saw this thread and thought... "oh must be some kind of joke."

Apparently not and I'm just dumbfounded by this.

Yeah I think this thread is nitpicking if you ask me. If we are complaining about Bruce's offense as of late, then I think the Reds are in pretty good shape.

BLEEDS
05-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Let's just all hope that the Reds win 81 games this year.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

The Voice of IH
05-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Bruce has had three straight bad games, I wold like nothing better to see him pick it up tonight and kill this before it becomes an elephant.

nemesis
05-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Bruce has had three straight bad games, I wold like nothing better to see him pick it up tonight and kill this before it becomes an elephant.

He needs a night off. Put Heisey over there, Nix in LF, cause he deserves another start and DH Gomes again.

Griffey012
05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
What'd ya know, an RBI base knock for Bruce in the 1st. Can we all just let the players play and realize they aren't going to hit .400 and knock in 200 men.

kentjett
05-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Jason Heyward was batting .234 at the end of April after going through a 1-20 slump after starting off hot similiar to Bruce's start in the majors. Justin Upton is currently batting around .260 w/ a lower OBP. There is only a handful of major league players that are 23 or below and performing at a higher level than Bruce, defense included.

tbball10
05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
4-4 with a walk and 2 ribbies! It was nice to see all of his hits were to center or left too.

NeilHamburger
05-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Good to see, I'm just waiting for Bruce to show some pop along with this. It actually kind of reminds me of Votto's first year, where he ends with around 20 home runs. Then the next year he knows when to take a big cut for a HR, and when to lay back.

Kingspoint
05-23-2010, 12:15 AM
The joke's on you.

jimbo
05-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Can we all just let the players play and realize they aren't going to hit .400 and knock in 200 men.

:clap: