PDA

View Full Version : Lee or Crystal

Brutus
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
So American Idol is down to the season finale coming on Tuesday. As expected, the two favorites - Lee and Crystal - both made it into the final show.

Who do you expect to win?

At this point, I would be rather surprised if it's not Lee. But then again, I expected Adam Lambert, David Archuleta and Kat McPhee back in season 5. So what do I know? At least I did call Jordin Sparks as the winner way early in the top 24 before she was getting much pub, so maybe a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.

I do expect big things from Lee. I think Crystal will be a crossover indie artist. Aaron will probably have some success singing country. Siobhan, Mike or Casey will probably at least land record deals. But I do think Lee is far and away the most cut out for top-40 success.

Looking forward to this final. I think it's the best they've had, though I didn't think the top-10 was as strong as past seasons.

KoryMac5
05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Based on the performances from the other night and how Simon set up Lee with a great judges pick song I would say the American Idol crown will go to Lee. With Casey gone the ladies will be pulling for him. The only way it doesn't happen is if the final night turns into a Lee love fest like last season with Adam Lambert.

Brutus
05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Based on the performances from the other night and how Simon set up Lee with a great judges pick song I would say the American Idol crown will go to Lee. With Casey gone the ladies will be pulling for him. The only way it doesn't happen is if the final night turns into a Lee love fest like last season with Adam Lambert.

I could see that. I definitely think it's clear the producers/judges have been trying to set Lee up as the winner for a few weeks. I agree with Casey gone, the logic would be many women (girls) will vote for Lee.

WMR
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
AI Fan?

please remove 'pimp' from your name immediately. :D

Brutus
05-20-2010, 01:06 PM
AI Fan?

please remove 'pimp' from your name immediately. :D

I'm just cultured, LOL

WMR
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I actually have a question for you...

I myself do not watch AI but I listen to HS and he talks about AI quite often, more specifically the Judges... he thinks Ellen is HAAARIBLE on AI... Do you agree?

Roy Tucker
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
AI is a pop star show. I've thought for quite a while that Lee has a pop star voice born for the radio. His voice plugs into the AI formula. Crystal will be a good indie with maybe a crossover hit or 2.

I have been surprised at how much emotion Crystal has shown.

Brutus
05-20-2010, 01:34 PM

I myself do not watch AI but I listen to HS and he talks about AI quite often, more specifically the Judges... he thinks Ellen is HAAARIBLE on AI... Do you agree?

I personally think she has exceeded expectations. She's been very funny to listen to, which of course is not surprising as she used to be a comedian, but she has made many very insightful comments. I'm sure the producers and other judges have worked hard on educating her more about the industry, but I actually think she's been a good addition.

KoryMac5
05-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Kara has been by far the worst judge on AI this season. Ellen after a shaky start has eased into a nice zone.

Red in Chicago
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM

As a fellow HS fan, you already know that Howard invented AI ;)

Ellen really brings nothing to the show.

WMR
05-20-2010, 02:55 PM
As a fellow HS fan, you already know that Howard invented AI ;)

Howard invented inventing things. :D

Yachtzee
05-21-2010, 03:05 PM

My sentiments as well. I think some of the guest judges during auditions were better, especially Neil Patrick Harris, who could easily take over for Simon. And there is Kara, who has become tiresome. Paula Abdul could be incomprehensible at times, but at least she didn't constantly repeat herself. "I was really looking for you to have a 'moment,'" or "We've been waiting for someone to have a 'moment' and you just did."

Crystal or Lee? I'll go with Crystal. Lee may sound more like something you hear on the radio because there are already dozens of singers on the radio who sound just like him, only better.

The whole "Hallelujah" set up was ridiculous. Simon picks Lee's song and has him sing "Hallelujah," which of course Simon now owns the rights to, so he gets paid every time someone performs the song. AI producers give Lee the pimp slot and have him backed with an orchestra, a choir, and angelic lighting. On top of that this is a song that Tim Urban knocked out of the park earlier in the season, and lesser AI talents have gotten great responses for singing it in prior seasons. So I'm going to guess that this is a great song that can make just about anyone with a shred of vocal talent can sound good.

redsfandan
05-21-2010, 04:02 PM
My sentiments as well. I think some of the guest judges during auditions were better, especially Neil Patrick Harris, who could easily take over for Simon. And there is Kara, who has become tiresome. Paula Abdul could be incomprehensible at times, but at least she didn't constantly repeat herself. "I was really looking for you to have a 'moment,'" or "We've been waiting for someone to have a 'moment' and you just did."
Then you'd have two judges without a background in the music industry. Not sure that would be a good idea.

The whole "Hallelujah" set up was ridiculous. Simon picks Lee's song and has him sing "Hallelujah," which of course Simon now owns the rights to, so he gets paid every time someone performs the song. AI producers give Lee the pimp slot and have him backed with an orchestra, a choir, and angelic lighting. On top of that this is a song that Tim Urban knocked out of the park earlier in the season, and lesser AI talents have gotten great responses for singing it in prior seasons. So I'm going to guess that this is a great song that can make just about anyone with a shred of vocal talent can sound good.
I think that's a rumor that isn't true. He just likes the song.

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Kara has been by far the worst judge on AI this season. Ellen after a shaky start has eased into a nice zone.

I couldn't disagree more, if one likes Simon (and I do as well as most) as a judge they would almost assuredly have to like Kara (for her judging). She may express herself a bit differently (which can at times be a smidge annoying) but Simon tends to agree with her on most everything and he's usually spot on. Ellen has yet to say one insightful thing pertaining to singing and/or artistry. She has one thing that she can comment on with some degree of insight and that is just overall stage performance and really who couldn't do that. When Simon leaves it's gonna go way downhill, especially if they keep Ellen. BTW the reason she was so bad early on was because she was set up to comment first and then the rest of the panel often disagreed with her. Since she started following Randy she's had him to work off of.

BTW I like both artists and I picked Crystal to win a long time ago (before I ever seen Lee) but Lee is definitely as deserving if not moreso, in fact I'd say yeah he's definitely the favorite at this point. I say Lee probably wins it.

Brutus
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Then you'd have two judges without a background in the music industry. Not sure that would be a good idea.

Yep.

This (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/20/simon-cowell-leonard-cohens-hallelujah/) Entertainment Weekly article states that Sony/ATV, not Simon Cowell, owns the rights to the song.

And while I agree with the above poster that said it's a song that is great when done properly, and that the judges do want to see Lee succeed, I disagree that it's an easy song to sing. It's a high-risk, high-reward song.

I did like Tim Urban's rendition, and I recall a very good rendition done by Jason Castro two years ago. However, it's still a very hard song to sing and you really have to be able to stay on tune in your lower register and sing the melody well to pull that song off.

KoryMac5
05-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I couldn't disagree more, if one likes Simon (and I do as well as most) as a judge they would almost assuredly have to like Kara (for her judging). She may express herself a bit differently (which can at times be a smidge annoying) but Simon tends to agree with her on most everything and he's usually spot on. Ellen has yet to say one insightful thing pertaining to singing and/or artistry. She has one thing that she can comment on with some degree of insight and that is just overall stage performance and really who couldn't do that. When Simon leaves it's gonna go way downhill, especially if they keep Ellen. BTW the reason she was so bad early on was because she was set up to comment first and then the rest of the panel often disagreed with her. Since she started following Randy she's had him to work off of.

BTW I like both artists and I picked Crystal to win a long time ago (before I ever seen Lee) but Lee is definitely as deserving if not moreso, in fact I'd say yeah he's definitely the favorite at this point. I say Lee probably wins it.

I agree Kara has a ton of knowledge and a great songwriting resume. My problem with her this season is she has been soooo annoying since they moved her next to Simon. If it isn't her lusting after Casey than it is her child like banter back and forth with Simon to the point that the show is more about the judges than it is the contestants. A point Simon recently made in an interview with Oprah.

Yachtzee
05-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Actually, Neil Patrick Harris has a background in musical theater. Granted, it's not record producing, but I think he knows a bit more about music than Ellen, who is clearly just a fan. Based on his comments during auditions, he definitely seems to have a better ear and more nuanced understanding of music than Ellen does. I think where he is similar to Simon is that he actually tries to give people real criticisms instead of just falling back on overused cliches like "Yo dawg, that was hot/pitchy" or "You had/didn't have a moment." I think my biggest gripe about Randy and Kara is that they have a tendency to give the contestants silly advice one week and then criticize the contestants for following that advice the next.

According to this MailOnline (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1097666/Cowellelujah-Simon-rides-waves-earns--250-000-day-doing---thanks-Hallelujah-rights.html)article, Cowell does own the rights to certain versions of the song, even if he doesn't own the publishing rights. I was mistaken in believing he owned the publishing rights, but it's an important distinction to make that there are different rights involved. Cowell doesn't necessarily make money off the song whenever it's performed by anyone, but it does appear that he owns the rights to the Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley versions, as well as the rights to any versions performed by artists on his label. So if I understand it correctly, he makes money when someone plays the Cohen/Buckley versions and any versions by his artists. So Lee DeWyze's performance, in the very least, amounts to free advertising that generates interest in the versions to which he owns the rights. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if Cowell gets money when it's performed on Idol through his dealings with Simon Fuller and 19 Entertainment. So he could well be making money off the song whenever someone purchases the Lee DeWyze/Tim Urban/Jason Castro versions off iTunes. I have a feeling that, when Cowell gets his XFactor show running, where his production company will have the full rights (other than Sony/ATV's publishing rights), we'll be hearing more versions of this song.

Brutus
05-22-2010, 01:43 AM
Actually, Neil Patrick Harris has a background in musical theater. Granted, it's not record producing, but I think he knows a bit more about music than Ellen, who is clearly just a fan. Based on his comments during auditions, he definitely seems to have a better ear and more nuanced understanding of music than Ellen does. I think where he is similar to Simon is that he actually tries to give people real criticisms instead of just falling back on overused cliches like "Yo dawg, that was hot/pitchy" or "You had/didn't have a moment." I think my biggest gripe about Randy and Kara is that they have a tendency to give the contestants silly advice one week and then criticize the contestants for following that advice the next.

According to this MailOnline (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1097666/Cowellelujah-Simon-rides-waves-earns--250-000-day-doing---thanks-Hallelujah-rights.html)article, Cowell does own the rights to certain versions of the song, even if he doesn't own the publishing rights. I was mistaken in believing he owned the publishing rights, but it's an important distinction to make that there are different rights involved. Cowell doesn't necessarily make money off the song whenever it's performed by anyone, but it does appear that he owns the rights to the Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley versions, as well as the rights to any versions performed by artists on his label. So if I understand it correctly, he makes money when someone plays the Cohen/Buckley versions and any versions by his artists. So Lee DeWyze's performance, in the very least, amounts to free advertising that generates interest in the versions to which he owns the rights. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if Cowell gets money when it's performed on Idol through his dealings with Simon Fuller and 19 Entertainment. So he could well be making money off the song whenever someone purchases the Lee DeWyze/Tim Urban/Jason Castro versions off iTunes. I have a feeling that, when Cowell gets his XFactor show running, where his production company will have the full rights (other than Sony/ATV's publishing rights), we'll be hearing more versions of this song.

I will have to look for the link that explains it, but that Daily Mail article was mistaken. Sony/ATV owns both the publishing rights as well as master rights for both the Cohen and Buckley versions. Cowell's company only owns the third masters version.

It's possible Cowell is profiting in some form or another off the song, but his company does not own the publishing rights or rights to either of the two popular versions.

EDIT: Here's a good link that explains the situation from a year and a half ago...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article5375715.ece

Brutus
05-22-2010, 02:40 AM
I found additional confirmation.

I searched the U.S. Copyright database for Hallelujah (boy are there are a lot of copyright claims on that title - ha ha).

After some searching, I hit the jackpot.

The Leonard Cohen version is registered to his publishing company, Bad Monk Publishing.

The copyright claim can be found here (http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=135&ti=26,135&SEQ=20100522020115&Search_Arg=hallelujah&Search_Code=TALL&SL=Submit%26TYPE%3Dcm|3&CNT=25&PID=ox2g6bK21HNBVN0ohOqyU3Txl&SID=3).

That can also be seen on Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man, the soundtrack, where the publishers are listed as Bad Monk and Sony/ATV. See that here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478197/soundtrack).

I couldn't find the Jeff Buckley version, though it appears it's still originally a Columbia Records title, as is Cohen's version, that is now owned by Sony/ATV.

In any event, I would hope that's enough evidence that Cowell owning the titles to those versions is not accurate. As I did say earlier, I do believe he wants Lee to win, and it wouldn't shock me if he has some sort of financial gain in the matter, but I don't really think that's the driving force for his selection.

Yachtzee
05-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I found additional confirmation.

I searched the U.S. Copyright database for Hallelujah (boy are there are a lot of copyright claims on that title - ha ha).

After some searching, I hit the jackpot.

The Leonard Cohen version is registered to his publishing company, Bad Monk Publishing.

The copyright claim can be found here (http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=135&ti=26,135&SEQ=20100522020115&Search_Arg=hallelujah&Search_Code=TALL&SL=Submit%26TYPE%3Dcm|3&CNT=25&PID=ox2g6bK21HNBVN0ohOqyU3Txl&SID=3).

That can also be seen on Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man, the soundtrack, where the publishers are listed as Bad Monk and Sony/ATV. See that here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478197/soundtrack).

I couldn't find the Jeff Buckley version, though it appears it's still originally a Columbia Records title, as is Cohen's version, that is now owned by Sony/ATV.

In any event, I would hope that's enough evidence that Cowell owning the titles to those versions is not accurate. As I did say earlier, I do believe he wants Lee to win, and it wouldn't shock me if he has some sort of financial gain in the matter, but I don't really think that's the driving force for his selection.

Well, the MailOnline article may have been off, but I think you should note that Cowell's SyCo record label is a division of Sony BMG, which is the official owner of the Buckley and Cohen versions. Without knowing when and how Sony acquired the rights and what kind of contracts and relationships exist between SyCo and Sony BMG, we can't really say what interest Cowell has in the song. He could be making money off those versions, he might not. But he does have very strong ties with the publicly known rights holders.

Edit: Looking at the copyright office stuff, Sony probably got them through mergers and acquisitions. Still, it seems fishy that this song keeps popping up on Idol over and over, Cowell has been actively promoting the song on his other ventures, and Cowell has strong ties to Sony BMG. Of course fishy is nothing new for Idol. There have been all kinds of ties between contestants, judges and producers for the show over time (e.g. Carly Smithson).

Brutus
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Well, the MailOnline article may have been off, but I think you should note that Cowell's SyCo record label is a division of Sony BMG, which is the official owner of the Buckley and Cohen versions. Without knowing when and how Sony acquired the rights and what kind of contracts and relationships exist between SyCo and Sony BMG, we can't really say what interest Cowell has in the song. He could be making money off those versions, he might not. But he does have very strong ties with the publicly known rights holders.

Edit: Looking at the copyright office stuff, Sony probably got them through mergers and acquisitions. Still, it seems fishy that this song keeps popping up on Idol over and over, Cowell has been actively promoting the song on his other ventures, and Cowell has strong ties to Sony BMG. Of course fishy is nothing new for Idol. There have been all kinds of ties between contestants, judges and producers for the show over time (e.g. Carly Smithson).

Technically the versions are owned by Columbia Records (with a join claim by Bad Monk for Cohen's version), but Columbia is simply a subsidiary of the Sony Music / Sony ATV brand.

There's no question that a lot of what American Idol does has financial motives. It's possible Simon Cowell has acquired some sort of 'referrers fee' for when contestants play song titles owned to Sony, including Hallelujah. That would not at all surprise me.

Brutus
05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
As a big Lee fan (though I've always loved Crystal from the very beginning), I must say Crystal deserves to win based on this week. She was awesome tonight where Lee kind of got swallowed up a bit by nerves. He wasn't bad, but just was a little off.

Redhook
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
As a big Lee fan (though I've always loved Crystal from the very beginning), I must say Crystal deserves to win based on this week. She was awesome tonight where Lee kind of got swallowed up a bit by nerves. He wasn't bad, but just was a little off.

I agree. Crystal blew him out of the water tonight. She was awesome. Lee was so-so. IMO, Lee is good, but he's a dime-a-dozen when it comes to singers. Decent, but nothing extraordinary, unlike Crystal who is original and just amazing to watch. Tonight, she showed how great she can be and how she'll produce quality records in the future. Pure domination tonight by Crystal.

Redhook
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Also, how funny is Ellen? "If you make a record, I'll buy it. If you go on tour, I'll follow. If you make a salad, I'll eat it."

RiverRat13
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree. Crystal blew him out of the water tonight. She was awesome. Lee was so-so. IMO, Lee is good, but he's a dime-a-dozen when it comes to singers. Decent, but nothing extraordinary, unlike Crystal who is original and just amazing to watch. Tonight, she showed how great she can be and how she'll produce quality records in the future. Pure domination tonight by Crystal.

+1

IslandRed
05-25-2010, 10:32 PM
And to add to it, her "winner's song" didn't suck. I didn't think that was allowed.

Roy Tucker
05-26-2010, 08:27 AM

Yep, I agree.

I haven't been the hugest Crystal fan all year, but she clearly blew Lee's doors off last night. I think she deserves to win.

BuckeyeRed27
05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Crystal was better last night, but Lee has been better down the stretch.

Lee still wins.

Brutus
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM

I still think Lee will have a more successful career. While he's not unique by any means, he has the top-40 voice. Crystal will crossover on the charts, but I'm not sure, if she continues to do the type of music it appears she will do, that she's going to be mainstream. Make no mistake - she will do well and there will be a niche for her, but I think Lee will really do well commercially.

No question though, based on the finale, Crystal would be very deserving of the win. I also agree with the post about her winner's song - it was very good for an original song.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Lee wins tonight, simply because he does have a large fan base. But if the swing votes go for Crystal based on performance, she will - and should - win.

RiverRat13
05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I still think Lee will have a more successful career. While he's not unique by any means, he has the top-40 voice. Crystal will crossover on the charts, but I'm not sure, if she continues to do the type of music it appears she will do, that she's going to be mainstream. Make no mistake - she will do well and there will be a niche for her, but I think Lee will really do well commercially.

No question though, based on the finale, Crystal would be very deserving of the win. I also agree with the post about her winner's song - it was very good for an original song.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Lee wins tonight, simply because he does have a large fan base. But if the swing votes go for Crystal based on performance, she will - and should - win.

Crystal's song was not an original. It is a Patty Griffin song.

I must not know what it takes to be a top-40 artist, because I don't think Lee is that talented. He consistently misses notes. He does pretty well in his range, but that range is limited IMO. Whoever picked "A Beautiful Day" for Lee must have been on crack because he had no shot at hitting the high notes in that song. Then again, some of the "stars" who were guests this season couldn't hit very many notes live, either.

Other than a three week stretch in April, he was nowhere near Crystal's league throughout this competition. If you vote based who was clearly the best all season long, Crystal is easily your winner. If you go by who had the best last month, you probably vote for Lee. If you go by who performed in the Final, then it is easily again Crystal.

I'm obviously in the Crystal camp, but it might actually be better if she loses tonight and can score a contract on her own terms.

Brutus
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Crystal's song was not an original. It is a Patty Griffin song.

I must not know what it takes to be a top-40 artist, because I don't think Lee is that talented. He consistently misses notes. He does pretty well in his range, but that range is limited IMO. Whoever picked "A Beautiful Day" for Lee must have been on crack because he had no shot at hitting the high notes in that song. Then again, some of the "stars" who were guests this season couldn't hit very many notes live, either.

Other than a three week stretch in April, he was nowhere near Crystal's league throughout this competition. If you vote based who was clearly the best all season long, Crystal is easily your winner. If you go by who had the best last month, you probably vote for Lee. If you go by who performed in the Final, then it is easily again Crystal.

I'm obviously in the Crystal camp, but it might actually be better if she loses tonight and can score a contract on her own terms.

Was not aware that song was not an original. I hadn't heard it before.

I completely agree on Lee's rendition of "Beautiful Day." That simply was not very good. He was struggling to carry the tune on the higher octives. I disagree on him overall, though. I think he's got a very good voice and when he stays within his range, he's usually on pitch.

I think Lee was the better performer for the last 5-6 weeks. That has to mean something. But since truly believe it should be based on the most recent week, I would have to say Crystal deserves to win. If it were close, I'd give the edge to Lee because of recent performance. But admittedly, last night wasn't close.

RiverRat13
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
But since truly believe it should be based on the most recent week, I would have to say Crystal deserves to win. If it were close, I'd give the edge to Lee because of recent performance. But admittedly, last night wasn't close.

This is my first season watching, so I was curious if you are "supposed" to vote based upon the most recent week or overall. Interesting.

Brutus
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
This is my first season watching, so I was curious if you are "supposed" to vote based upon the most recent week or overall. Interesting.

Well, that's the thing, there's no real standard put in place for voting. The concept is to vote based on performance, but there's no questioning it's been more of a popularity contest. Some people vote based on performance, some based on who they think is better and others just vote their favorites. I do think that toward the end, though, actual performance of that week starts being voted on the 'swing' voters that are undecided or truly want to vote based on merits.

Yachtzee
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Vote for the worst. (http://www.votefortheworst.com/) ;)

BuckeyeRed27
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Dial Idol has it as Lee and its actually not that close which is interesting.

kaldaniels
05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Dial Idol has it as Lee and its actually not that close which is interesting.

That did it for me, just put a few bucks on Lee (-250) on Sportsbook.

Brutus
05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Dial Idol is correct. Lee is your Season 9 winner.

LawFive
05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I lost interest this year, but apparently that is at least a mild upset.

Matt700wlw
05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I picked Crystal a while back, and I still think I'm a better judge than the voting majority :)

Redhook
05-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I picked Crystal a while back, and I still think I'm a better judge than the voting majority :)

You are! Crystal is much more talented than Lee and it's not even close. Listening to Lee sing "Beautiful Day" is painful at best. I do like Lee and really don't care that he won, but I can't comprehend the fascination with him or how people could vote for him over Crystal. It just baffles the mind.

Brutus
05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
You are! Crystal is much more talented than Lee and it's not even close. Listening to Lee sing "Beautiful Day" is painful at best. I do like Lee and really don't care that he won, but I can't comprehend the fascination with him or how people could vote for him over Crystal. It just baffles the mind.

Lee is very talented and it's probably a disservice to be too baffled by how he could win. He has been better than Crystal over the past month or so. Because of how consistent Lee had been, he built up a huge fan base. Based on Tuesday only, Crystal deserved to win. But Lee winning is not that baffling based on the entire season.

I liked Crystal from the very get-go. In fact, she was my favorite right through Hollywood week. But Lee won me over (finale aside).

macro
05-27-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree with the comments about "A Beautiful Day". Not only did I hate the song when it was on the charts, it was a downright awful choice for Lee. Anyone who was hearing Lee for the first time must've been thinking "This guy won?"

For all the criticisms the judges give the contestants about song choices every year, they (and the producers, in this case) usually pick complete clunkers. This year was no different.

Most of the time, the song the winner is to record is really cheesy. This year, not so much cheesy, but bad nevertheless.

Redhook
05-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Lee is very talented and it's probably a disservice to be too baffled by how he could win. He has been better than Crystal over the past month or so. Because of how consistent Lee had been, he built up a huge fan base. Based on Tuesday only, Crystal deserved to win. But Lee winning is not that baffling based on the entire season.

I liked Crystal from the very get-go. In fact, she was my favorite right through Hollywood week. But Lee won me over (finale aside).

I hear what you're saying, but after watching him in the finale, I came away very unimpressed. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he won because quite a few times the best singer hasn't won.