PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone really think we would win the rest of our games and it would be easy?

Kingspoint
05-21-2010, 03:56 AM
While that was a collapse of monumental proportions, the entire team contributed to the loss (except Janish, I guess, and those who stayed on the bench).

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger....if you had the fortitude to begin with to be a winner.

From everything I've seen from this club, they will get stronger because of this loss.

They'll start putting teams away now instead of trying to do everything with their last at-bat.

I think we'll start seeing more wins now where we lead from the 1st inning on through the 9th.

No better person pitching Friday to make this happen than the Veteran Arroyo.

Maybe Dusty will even start paying attention to his defensive replacements in the latter innings of the games. It's unlikely that old dog learns a new trick, but he might. That was one humbling experience on Thursday.

will5979
05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I think we'll start seeing more wins now where we lead from the 1st inning on through the 9th.

Speaking of yesterday why wasn't Leake allowed to just pitch a complete game?

Vottomatic
05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I think Dusty was trying to get the bullpen some work. But it exposed a huge weakness with this team.

Need to bolster the bullpen somehow.

will5979
05-21-2010, 08:34 AM
I think Dusty was trying to get the bullpen some work. But it exposed a huge weakness with this team.

Need to bolster the bullpen somehow.

Ironic, I thought we had a STRONG bullpen, boy was I wrong.

Girevik
05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger....

Maybe true, but this is the kind of loss that can kill a team. I think they'll be able to bounce back, but if they get into a losing streak things could get ugly.

ian_madden
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I felt like being up 9 to 3 in the 9th is pretty close to putting a team away.

DaytonFlyer
05-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Of course we're going to have some losses, but losing a game that you were ahead in 8-0 is inexcusable.

bgwilly31
05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
sheesh guys a lot of denial in this thread.

Yes it was a terrible game.

Blame it on the pitching and dusty baker.

Sucks because i was sitting in the diamond seats in 2005 when we did this with the St.louis cardinals. That game was even worse. I know the feeling all too well. And its basically associated with the same old reds feeling.

Our bullpen is fine. I cant believe vottomatic even mentioned that. We have one of the best bullpens in the mlb. Dusty just needs to use it correctly.

BigPoppa
05-21-2010, 11:18 AM
yes, yesterday sucked and I am still shaking my head over it BUT we have all seen quite a few games where the Reds were the team making an improbable comeback to win when the other team started pitching batting practice, making throwing errors, etc.

I think we've won a lot more of these types of games than we have lost, so it was our turn to collapse one. What (long-run) could hurt us more ? 4 errors in one game or 4 (critical) errors spread out over 4 games ?

As Kingspoint said, we weren't going to win every game from here on out. Sure, this one is especially painful but it's going to be okay.

Red in Atl
05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
yes, yesterday sucked and I am still shaking my head over it BUT we have all seen quite a few games where the Reds were the team making an improbable comeback to win when the other team started pitching batting practice, making throwing errors, etc.

Yes. And I believe Tuesday night was one of those. The Reds have always had issues in Atlanta. Believe me. I've been watching them here for 17 years.

I think there were some important things learned in that games Wed and Thurdsay, and I hope we have enough "mental toughness" to move on and take that knowledge and grow.

Don't give up after the second and an 8 run lead. It's the major leagues. :thumbdown
Bruce had a bad series and left lots of guys on base.:thumbdown
Stubbs really might need a triple A tune up.:thumbdown
Heisey should play center, but bat 7th.:thumbup:
Lincoln can't pitch more than 2.:thumbdown
Nix isn't the glove man he's reported to be.:thumbdown
Leake is the man.:thumbup:
Rolen is very important to this teams success. :thumbup::thumbdown

Dusty should leave the pitching decisions to Price. I thought that was his way of doing things. And this team has some holes that need plugging if we are going to make the playoffs.

mlh1981
05-21-2010, 12:19 PM
The Indians are a pretty good antidote for a strugglign team, but Jake Westbrook has been pitching better for them lately.

Jack Burton
05-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Never said it would be easy, but we're fighting an uphill battle every game w/ this moron as our manager.

markymark69
05-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Because he would throw too many pitches and Dusty would be crucified for ruining another pitcher. :D

Hanover
05-21-2010, 01:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago, it was said often that Lincoln couldn't pitch more than 1 inning. Now he can't pitch more than 2.

One missed play on what would have been a GREAT game saving catch and Nix isn't a gold glove outfielder? I'm not saying he is, but I don't think yesterday's game swung the pendulum one way or the other.

There is no way Leake should have been allowed to pitch a complete game. He was taken out at the exact right time.

Kingspoint
05-21-2010, 08:02 PM

I would have taken him out, too. He was around 98 pitches. Any amount of stretching his season into September would be helpful. With a 9-3 lead, it shouldn't have been a problem.

Kingspoint
05-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Maybe true, but this is the kind of loss that can kill a team. I think they'll be able to bounce back, but if they get into a losing streak things could get ugly.

Thus, the "what doesn't kill you..." part.

I've seen a loss like that put a team into a month-long slump. At the minimum, most teams would take at least a week to get out of this (in other words, go 4-4 over the next 8 games for the REDS, even though the games are against bad teams). But, I think we'll go 6-2. I think we've got just too great of a starting rotation (except for Harang, who himself has even more pressure than just this loss to turn things around for himself....I hope he does it, but I only give him a 50-50 chance of doing it. To me, Harang's got only 2 starts left to turn it around or it's never going to happen. In other words, he can screw up just two more times before he's got to be pitching decently from then on to prove to me that he's humbled himself and changed his approach.)

Kingspoint
05-21-2010, 08:07 PM
sheesh guys a lot of denial in this thread.

Yes it was a terrible game.

Blame it on the pitching and dusty baker.

Sucks because i was sitting in the diamond seats in 2005 when we did this with the St.louis cardinals. That game was even worse. I know the feeling all too well. And its basically associated with the same old reds feeling.

Our bullpen is fine. I cant believe vottomatic even mentioned that. We have one of the best bullpens in the mlb. Dusty just needs to use it correctly.

We do have a very good bullpen, and I thin when Del Rosario gets here it will be even better.

Kingspoint
05-21-2010, 08:08 PM
How 'bout dem REDS?

Double, Homer, Double, Single.....4-1 Cincy!

BigPoppa
05-21-2010, 10:10 PM
This one belongs to the Reds............nothing like a next day win to help ease the sting. Get right back up in the saddle, boys !!

Kingspoint
05-30-2010, 12:28 AM
While that was a collapse of monumental proportions, the entire team contributed to the loss (except Janish, I guess, and those who stayed on the bench).

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger....if you had the fortitude to begin with to be a winner.

From everything I've seen from this club, they will get stronger because of this loss.

They'll start putting teams away now instead of trying to do everything with their last at-bat.

Maybe Dusty will even start paying attention to his defensive replacements in the latter innings of the games. It's unlikely that old dog learns a new trick, but he might. That was one humbling experience on Thursday.

Jeff Brantley just said the exact same thing about the REDS during tonight's broadcast.