PDA

View Full Version : Edinson Volquez

5TimeWSChamps
05-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I've been of the mindset that we should shelve Volquez no matter what until 2011. However, I feel like if he's ready in August that we should put him in the bullpen to shore it up if we are still in contention. I would prefer not rushing him back into the rotation and giving him a legitimate 18 months to recover from TJ Surgery and get ready for 2011.

sivman17
05-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Cowboy thinks Volquez could pitch now and says that he will be more than ready by August. And they might need him to step in the rotation if they are trying to limit Leake's innings. Who knows if Chapman will be ready by then either? He's not exactly lighting it up in AAA.

And what if they trade Harang? Then they are really hurting for arms.

But, if we are not in contention, then I would agree with not risking his arm. But, it sounds like he should be fine by then anyways.

RedsATOfreak
05-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I think that shutting him down for the season might not be the best decision, rather adding him to the bullpen to strengthen his arm and get him back to par. It all depends on the current pitchers come august.

nemesis
05-22-2010, 04:34 PM
And what if they trade Harang?

Not a snowballs chance.

He has a $12.5 million dollar option that automatically kicks in next year and ups to $14 mil if he's traded. With his production, or lack there of in the rotation, We'd have to eat half of his contract this year and probably 12.5 next. Plus include a good prospect to get something of marginal value in return. Ala Zack Stewart to rid the Reds of EE.

Better off to suffer though the season hope for a .500 record, hand him a $2 Million goodbye and save a prospect...

Volquez shoulhd start in the bullpen without a question. We have guys like Maloney, Wood and Chapman to pick up Leake's workload if it and when becomes and issue. I don't like the idea of putting to much stress on his arm right away. More so than overworking Leake...

Quite honestly I am thinking more and more Klinker is going to be better than a #5 starter in the majors. His Value has rocketed to me.

PlugALeake
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Volquez should begin his work in the Pen no doubt.. Unless one of our starters goes down, or gets hurt.. But we still have Chapman, Wood, and even Maloney to come up aswell.

Griffey012
05-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Not a snowballs chance.

He has a $12.5 million dollar option that automatically kicks in next year and ups to $14 mil if he's traded. With his production, or lack there of in the rotation, We'd have to eat half of his contract this year and probably 12.5 next. Plus include a good prospect to get something of marginal value in return. Ala Zack Stewart to rid the Reds of EE.

Better off to suffer though the season hope for a .500 record, hand him a $2 Million goodbye and save a prospect...

Volquez shoulhd start in the bullpen without a question. We have guys like Maloney, Wood and Chapman to pick up Leake's workload if it and when becomes and issue. I don't like the idea of putting to much stress on his arm right away. More so than overworking Leake...

Quite honestly I am thinking more and more Klinker is going to be better than a #5 starter in the majors. His Value has rocketed to me.

If Harang is traded his option becomes a 14 million dollar mutual option with a 2.5 million buyout. Not an automatic 14 million dollar option.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/cincinnati-reds_24.html

Kingspoint
05-23-2010, 05:04 AM
I've been of the mindset that we should shelve Volquez no matter what until 2011.

He's too valuable to think about any other way to me. We're loaded with Starters. No need to be anything but cautious on the side of too cautious.

Kingspoint
05-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Cowboy thinks Volquez could pitch now and says that he will be more than ready by August. And they might need him to step in the rotation if they are trying to limit Leake's innings.

Though, that's always a scenario if that's acceptable by all of Management.

Vottomatic
05-23-2010, 11:41 AM
If Harang is traded his option becomes a 14 million dollar mutual option with a 2.5 million buyout. Not an automatic 14 million dollar option.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/cincinnati-reds_24.html

So he could be traded, and the team he is traded to could still decline his option next year? Correct?

Astros are on the hook for Oswalt's $16M for 2 more seasons after this. They could save money by taking on Harang's remaining contract this year and then get him off the books. It really depends on what prospects we throw in to seal the deal.

The only 2 positions this team needs to trade for right now are bullpen help and a legit #1 starter (Cliff Lee, Greinke, Oswalt, etc.) if they can get one. They will need one for the postseason if they make it.

Vottomatic
05-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Cowboy thinks Volquez could pitch now and says that he will be more than ready by August. And they might need him to step in the rotation if they are trying to limit Leake's innings. Who knows if Chapman will be ready by then either? He's not exactly lighting it up in AAA.

And what if they trade Harang? Then they are really hurting for arms.

But, if we are not in contention, then I would agree with not risking his arm. But, it sounds like he should be fine by then anyways.

Hadn't heard this from Cowboy. Interesting.

sivman17
05-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Hadn't heard this from Cowboy. Interesting.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2010/05/20/the-morning-line-520/

Vottomatic
05-23-2010, 12:05 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2010/05/20/the-morning-line-520/

Thanks.

Griffey012
05-23-2010, 12:54 PM
So he could be traded, and the team he is traded to could still decline his option next year? Correct?

Astros are on the hook for Oswalt's $16M for 2 more seasons after this. They could save money by taking on Harang's remaining contract this year and then get him off the books. It really depends on what prospects we throw in to seal the deal.

The only 2 positions this team needs to trade for right now are bullpen help and a legit #1 starter (Cliff Lee, Greinke, Oswalt, etc.) if they can get one. They will need one for the postseason if they make it.

Yes, from what I understand he can be traded and the option declined. It would just cost the other team 2.5 million instead of 2 million to decline it.

Orodle
05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I dont think shutting him down early will be necessary. They just need to really control his pitches and time between appearances. Coming back from TJ is really about getting the "feel" back, not able to do that if you completely shut him down.

scott91575
05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, from what I understand he can be traded and the option declined. It would just cost the other team 2.5 million instead of 2 million to decline it.

Then why involve Harang at all? Houston doesn't want him for the rest of the season. No one wants him at his salary. All it would be is a money deal, so why not tell Houston pick up part of Oswalt's salary (equivalent to what Houston would spend if they got Harang)? Then waive Harang. Same thing. Yet Houston won't want to do that and doesn't need to do that.

No one wants Harang. Any team in their right mind would buy him out if traded (so he is essentially only under contract the rest of this year), no contender would want him because of his poor production, and no bottom feeder wants a pitcher for just 2 or 3 months in a season they have given up on.

gilpdawg
05-24-2010, 05:12 AM
Then why involve Harang at all? Houston doesn't want him for the rest of the season. No one wants him at his salary. All it would be is a money deal, so why not tell Houston pick up part of Oswalt's salary (equivalent to what Houston would spend if they got Harang)? Then waive Harang. Same thing. Yet Houston won't want to do that and doesn't need to do that.

No one wants Harang. Any team in their right mind would buy him out if traded (so he is essentially only under contract the rest of this year), no contender would want him because of his poor production, and no bottom feeder wants a pitcher for just 2 or 3 months in a season they have given up on.
You'd be surprised just how desperate teams can be at the deadline if they need pitching. I've seen worse pitchers than Harang be moved at the deadline. Not for much, mind you, but they could find a taker if they wanted to just take back a bag of balls.

Vottomatic
05-29-2010, 04:57 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/05/28/volquez-on-schedule-for-july-return/

Barring any setbacks, Volquez set for a late July return according to Jocketty.

nemesis
05-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Why not move him to Seattle for Lee? His pitching style would be much better suited to Safeco... Include Francisco, Alonso and Maloney... Ask for one decent prospect back since Lee will walk.