PDA

View Full Version : So, you have 48 hours to spend in Boston...

LawFive
05-23-2010, 11:41 PM
...what do you do? Or, more directly, what do you suggest I do?

I likely will have to attend to some business in Manchester, NH a few Mondays from now. Since work is paying for the plane ride, I'm thinking about flying up to Boston on the Friday before and spending a couple of days being a tourist, then driving the ~60 miles to Manchester on Monday morning.

The Sox are in town that weekend, so I will no doubt try to scalp a ticket. I figure I owe it to myself as a baseball fan to see a game in Fenway...even if it does cost a bit!

Anyone who has ever been there, exactly HOW bad is the traffic, anyway? If my business concludes in Manchester by 4:00 or so, do I have any reasonable chance of getting back to Logan for a 7:00-ish flight back??

Any and all tips/advice appreciated!

reds1869
05-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Take the Fenway tour. It is well worth the price of admission.

OldRightHander
05-24-2010, 01:13 AM
U.S.S Constitution.

RedsBaron
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Anyone who has ever been there, exactly HOW bad is the traffic, anyway? If my business concludes in Manchester by 4:00 or so, do I have any reasonable chance of getting back to Logan for a 7:00-ish flight back??

I have been in Boston several times and I never found the traffic to be much of a problem. As in any city, a good GPS is useful, but I've made it around the Boston area without major difficulties.
I love the Freedom Trail. You can follow a red line on the sidewalks for a walking tour covering much of the historical sites, including the U.S.S. Constitution, Bunker Hill, Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, and then on to Quincy Market and Long Wharf. It's just a good town to walk around and sight see.
People who live in the area could give you better dining tips than I can, but way back in about 1983 or so, a cabbie recommended The Olde Union Oyster House to another lawyer and me. It's located in a building around 300 years old and past customers included JFK. I've eaten there several times.

bucksfan2
05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I have been in Boston several times and I never found the traffic to be much of a problem. As in any city, a good GPS is useful, but I've made it around the Boston area without major difficulties.
I love the Freedom Trail. You can follow a red line on the sidewalks for a walking tour covering much of the historical sites, including the U.S.S. Constitution, Bunker Hill, Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, and then on to Quincy Market and Long Wharf. It's just a good town to walk around and sight see.
People who live in the area could give you better dining tips than I can, but way back in about 1983 or so, a cabbie recommended The Olde Union Oyster House to another lawyer and me. It's located in a building around 300 years old and past customers included JFK. I've eaten there several times.

Freedom Trail was great. We did a Freedom Trail tour that started in the big public park in Boston I just can't remember the name. The tour probably lasted about an hour or two then we were sent on our way to finish the freedom tour. We didn't make it all the way to Bunker Hill, rather we stopped at the USS Constitution and then took a boat back.

I would catch a game at Fenway. Probably my favorite stadium I have ever been to. The atmosphere before the game is fantastic. I am sure tickets are a little steep but its well worth it to do it once.

Chip R
05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Traffic is horrible there.

westofyou
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Logan from Manchester?

Good luck!!!

PM Chili or M2 they can help you, M2 lives there Chili used to.

There is lot's to do, if you just like history follow the Freedom path

OldRightHander
05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm with RedsBaron on the traffic. I get through there quite a bit and I usually don't have much trouble. It just depends on the time of day and your tolerance for traffic circles. The Freedom Trail is a must and there are quite a few decent seafood places around if that's your thing. I always make sure to get some whole fried clams whenever I'm up there.

Spazzrico
05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Make sure to grab some Cannoli in the North End. Modern Pastry, Maria's, Bova Bakery and Mike's are all good choices.

I concur on the U.S.S Constitution.

Roy Tucker
05-24-2010, 01:54 PM
One more vote for the Freedom Trail (which starts in Boston Common) and eating some Italian in the North End. Museum of Science is great too. A walk around Harvard and MIT is cool. Fenway is a must.

Manchester to Logan? At least you're going opposite of main traffic at that time of day. Odds are somewhere between dicey and should be OK.

I mostly flew out of Manchester and Providence when going to Boston.

15fan
05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Count the number of street corners with a Dunkin Donuts.

Actually, it's probably easier to count the number of street corners w/o a Dunkin Donuts.

pedro
05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
One more vote for the Freedom Trail (which starts in Boston Common) and eating some Italian in the North End. Museum of Science is great too. A walk around Harvard and MIT is cool. Fenway is a must.

What Roy said.

muddie
05-24-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking it would be cool to get by Boston Beer Company's (Sam Adams) location there. Drink some beer and check out the shop.

OldRightHander
05-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Count the number of street corners with a Dunkin Donuts.

Actually, it's probably easier to count the number of street corners w/o a Dunkin Donuts.

That's all of New England, not just Boston.

SunDeck
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree, stand on the deck of a Frigate (http://www.history.navy.mil/ussconstitution/visitor_info.html). It is my favorite thing in Boston.

Roy Tucker
05-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm thinking it would be cool to get by Boston Beer Company's (Sam Adams) location there. Drink some beer and check out the shop.

I think a lot of Sam Adams is brewed in Cincinnati.

Hap
05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.bostonducktours.com/

Strikes Out Looking
05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Fly into Manchester, spend the weekend before your meeting in Boston and then leave from Manchester. Smaller airport, but it does have lots of Southwest flights.

Go to Concord to the National Battlefield if you get a chance, it's on the way to Manchester from Boston.

Benihana
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Take a stroll in the North End (Little Italy). Try Mike's Pastries.

bucksfan2
05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I think a lot of Sam Adams is brewed in Cincinnati.

I have been told by a Sam Adams employee that the Brewery in Cincinnati services everything west of Cincy. It only has three brewing locations, Boston, Cincy, and Pennsylvania. The Boston Brewery is used to brew mostly craft beers like the utopia and such.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
That's all of New England, not just Boston.

Can't go there without getting a morning coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

paintmered
05-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Logan from Manchester?

Good luck!!!

PM Chili or M2 they can help you, M2 lives there Chili used to.

There is lot's to do, if you just like history follow the Freedom path

A few years ago, I had a job interview in Tewksbury and had to catch a flight from Logan, about 25 miles away. I left 4.5 hours before my flight departed and barely made it. The Big Dig flows smoothly, but traffic is an absolute nightmare getting into the city.

I got the job offer but turned it down partially because of the traffic. No thanks to that.

As to the topic at hand, I've heard good things about the Sam Adams tour, even though the recipe is from Cincy, Koch is from Cincy, and they brew much of it in Cincy. The Boston stuff is all marketing.

LawFive
05-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll be safe and try for a Tuesday morning return (nothing leaves late enough from Manchester on Monday evening to make a connection back).

Of course, as I write this, I get an email from the boss saying I may not get to go after all. Such is my luck...

RBA
05-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Cheers bar

Caseyfan21
05-27-2010, 02:05 AM
From my experience the drive into the city was terrible. We ended up taking the train in on subsequent trips. Much more convenient to park outside the city and take the train in. And it also allows you to have a much more concrete schedule.

Things I have seen in Boston:

1) Fenway tour is definitely worth it. Various times during the day if I remember right.

2) If you're going to a Sox game, the atmosphere around the park is very cool and worth checking out. There's a good little brewery across the street from the park we hung out at too. The name escapes me right now though.

3) Cheers bar was a fun stop as mentioned.

4) Checking out the Harvard campus was alright as well. It's very historic and has some cool buildings. I was in town with a graduate which made the tour much more personal.

5) Newbury St. is worth checking out if you're into shopping and the tourist areas. Very upscale and lots of shopping/food options.

6) There's also a place at one of the squares that serves killer hot chocolate but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

Nothing else comes to my mind. I've visited Boston 2x so but never really visited any of the historical sites due to the crowd I was with each of the times.

Kingspoint
05-27-2010, 04:32 AM
For myself personally, I'd have to go to Braintree and also do the Freedom Trail. In other words, find an excuse to take an extra couple of vacation days (if you're solid enough at work to do something like that) and stay through the weekend.

Nugget
05-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Got to have a burger at Mr Bartleys in Harvard Square. Also try the Ice Cream at any one of JP Licks, Toscaninis or Herralds. Get to Fenway early and walk the streets - its easy to get to on the T, don't drive. On your way back you should be fine taking the 90, it will be once you get into the Logan Airport hubbub that you will be checking your watch. If you have a car and are taking a Tuesday flight back head out to Salem for the night.

Chip R
05-27-2010, 09:55 PM
If you do drive, do not, I repeat, do not get off the freeway unless you absolutely have to.