PDA

View Full Version : Unrecognized Reds prospects

flash
05-24-2010, 08:55 AM
CF David Sappelt Don't know why this guy doesn't get some mention. He has been solid throughout his short career. Now he is hitting .300 at Carolina. he also has yet to make an error. Does anyone know the story on him? I know he is short 5' 9".

Carlos Mendez is hitting .300 again, this time at Lynchburg. I know he has been considered a possible utility infielder in the future, but the batting stats are real and steady. the guy can hit.

Also, what is the story on the former Bearcat, now Dragon Cameroon Satterwhite. Is he any good? His stat sheets says he is a hometown boy.

What happened to Trey Manz? He tore up the rookie leagues last year. Yet I can't find him in the Reds system.

mace
05-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Although lacking a bit in power, Sappelt has tools. No doubt about that. He has put up some good numbers, has plenty of speed, and by all accounts is a terrific outfielder. But those who have seen him play describe him as kind of a loose cannon. A lot of confidence, but not a real heady player. Of course, that's the kind of thing that experience can improve.

Mendez came on last year as a high-average hitter. Don't know much about his defense, but he appears to be a corner infielder with very modest power, which isn't a great combination unless you're Wade Boggs. But he's definitely a guy to track.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Another solid looking prospect that doesn't seem to get much notice is Cody Puckett.

GOYA
05-24-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't know if I'd put him on any top lists but Chase Ware has done a great job eating up innings in long relief for Dayton. Of course, he could blow up at any moment.

JayBruceFan
05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Mendez came on last year as a high-average hitter. Don't know much about his defense, but he appears to be a corner infielder with very modest power, which isn't a great combination unless you're Wade Boggs. But he's definitely a guy to track.

Todd Benzinger said last season that Mendez reminded him of a young Wade Boggs.

Just something to think about.

mace
05-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Jordan Hotchkiss (Lynchburg) is another who has pitched very well in relief this year. Toward the end of last season, he got a chance to start at Dayton and excelled. Not sure why he hasn't been afforded the same opportunity this year . . . The Reds seem to give a lot of their relievers about five or six starts, then return them to the bullpen regardless of the results. Maybe they just like to stretch their arms out and get them some innings.

HokieRed
05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm impressed by the numbers for Nick Christiani. Began year at Dayton 3.86 ERA/7 apps/14 innings/12 hits/2 W's/12 K's/1.80 GO to AO; then moved to Lynchburg and has pitched better: .77ERA/7 apps/11.2/10/0W's/7K's/2.38 GO/AO. Overall thats' 19K's to 2W's and ground ball tendencies nicely suited for GABP.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Kris Negron, the guy we got for Agon.

.250/.365/.375

13 for 15 in SB

23 BB to 33 K

7th in walks, 8th in triples, 3rd in runs scored in the southern league.

mace
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Negron has been a decent surprise, I think. Going into the season, I saw Carolina as the organization's only hole at shortstop. Above, there's Cozart. Below, there's Rojas (Lynchburg), Gregorius (Dayton) and the various rookie-leaguers--Hamilton, Arias and Valor. But Negron has held his own--at least offensively. Not sure how good his defense is, though. Muddie, do you know? Or anyone?

HokieRed
05-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Saw the Negron kid last year in the Carolina league. He really can run.

mth123
05-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Negron was the guy I was going to mention as well. He's really growing on me.

mace
05-24-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't know if I'd put him on any top lists but Chase Ware has done a great job eating up innings in long relief for Dayton. Of course, he could blow up at any moment.

Good timing, Goya. Ware delivered three more hitless innings tonight, with 4 K and 0 walks. His ERA is now at 1.78.

The Voice of IH
05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
geez. this farm is loaded with talent huh.

muddie
05-25-2010, 06:05 PM
But Negron has held his own--at least offensively. Not sure how good his defense is, though. Muddie, do you know? Or anyone?

Negron is pretty solid with the glove. He's commited five errors to date. He commited two errors in one game, both for throwing. The other three were fielding errors.

mdccclxix
05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Anybody heard of Mesoroco? He's pretty good....

Seriously, one I think is climbing, although not quite obscurely, is Josh Fellhauer.

.298 .344 .456 .800 in A+ right now, with 15 doubles and 4 HR while playing CF. Not the fastest, toolsiest guy I'd guess, but he's done nothing but hit. I can see him cracking the top 15 if he keeps it up and makes it to AA by the end of the year.

Benihana
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Anybody heard of Mesoroco? He's pretty good....

Seriously, one I think is climbing, although not quite obscurely, is Josh Fellhauer.

.298 .344 .456 .800 in A+ right now, with 15 doubles and 4 HR while playing CF. Not the fastest, toolsiest guy I'd guess, but he's done nothing but hit. I can see him cracking the top 15 if he keeps it up and makes it to AA by the end of the year.

Hopefully Fellhauer is more Chris Heisey than Chris Denorfia.

camisadelgolf
05-25-2010, 10:33 PM
The regulars on the board are very familiar with Matt Klinker (1.64 ERA), but just to iterate, I want to point out that he's doing extremely well in AA.

Also, for every mention of Kris Negron, I can't help but think of Jake Kahaulelio (.846 OPS in AA).

Pedro Villarreal has done a good job in Dayton.

Does Doug Salinas deserve to be considered a prospect? I doubt it, but you can't deny that he has been excellent since the start of 2009.

Joe Krebs had a rough start, but he has been pitching pretty well lately (i.e. has surrendered only one hit in the past 2+ weeks and hasn't given up a run during that tenure).

HokieRed
05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Jake K. is very worthy of recognition; wonder if he'll get a move to AAA soon. Puckett needs to get to AA too, as I assume will happen when Jake gets the call.

mth123
05-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Matt Fairel. Sulbaran got the late round starter pub, Fairel has the game.

mace
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't see the rush on Kahaulelio. He only has 230-something plate appearances at AA. In three years of A ball, he OPSed around .670, and never excelled. Meanwhile, there's nobody whose place he ought to take at Louisville. Certainly not Valaika's. Not Cozart's or Frazier's or Francisco's when he comes back. I'd say, let him have some sustained success at AA and move him up when a vacancy requires it.

GOYA
05-26-2010, 12:44 PM
In a couple of weeks Kahaulelio (now there's a guy that needs a nickname) will be 25 years old in AA. IMO, he's the kind of guy that should be dealt before the word journeyman is associated with him. There are a few guys in Carolina in the same boat.

lollipopcurve
05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
In a couple of weeks Kahaulelio (now there's a guy that needs a nickname) will be 25 years old in AA. IMO, he's the kind of guy that should be dealt before the word journeyman is associated with him. There are a few guys in Carolina in the same boat.

That kind of prospect has very little trade value. Throw in, only.

HokieRed
05-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Speaking of guys in this boat, there's much of the Louisville roster. This is part of why I advocate pushing K to AAA relatively soon to see if he can do it at all. I'm no doubt in the minority here, but I don't see that Chris Valaika, for instance, has shown anything more than a journeyman's ability at AAA, apart from his BA.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I may as well add Sean Henry.

Henry was given up on around here about 2 years ago...maybe a little less than that.

I've never given up on him even with the backwards step he took last season.

He's still young, and has plenty of potential to contribute in the Majors for four or five years, even if it may not be with the REDS.

The thing about Henry, is that he's hitting both lefties and righties this year. Most prospects are struggling with one or the other.