PDA

View Full Version : Regional cuisine

OldRightHander
05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
I get around quite a bit and as those who have met me can probably attest to, I'm a person who likes to eat. For those who have been around the country, what are your favorite regional foods that you have to get whenever you're in a particular part of the country? I'm pretty much a steak and seafood person, so those are my main things. When I'm in New England I always find the little clam shacks that are all over the place. I'm a real sucker for whole fried clams, not the strips but the whole bellies. If I get to the deep south it's catfish and shrimp and grouper whenever I get into Florida. I always bring home bratwurst and cheese from Wisconsin and eat my fill of Walleye up there and in Minnesota. Texas has more good steakhouses than you can shake a stick at. I'm fond of a chain down there called Texas Land & Cattle. I haven't done the west coast as much, but there is a seafood chain with locations in Portland and Vancouver that I went to a couple times when I was up there. I think it was called McGrath's or something like that.

SunDeck
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
I haven't been out west much, but if I'm in Seattle, I make sure to have a plate full of sauteed oysters.

As far as my mid Atlantic second home goes, I'll pick:

Baltimore: Crab Cakes
Charleston, SC: Shrimp and Grits, Benne Wafers
Wilmington, NC: Carolina Bucket (soft shell crab, potatoes, sausage, clams, oysters, green beans, steamed in a galvanized bucket), Bogue Sound Chowder
Mid-North Carolina to Western NC: Pulled Pork BBQ (vinegar based)

reds1869
05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
I love the regional variations of mexican cooking in the southwest. Happiness is a warm enchilada, especially prepared with a heaping helping of onions and peppers the way they make cheese enchiladas in New Mexico.

As a non-native, I also have a real appreciation for Cincinnati cuisine. Cincinnati chili in particular is incredible. I went from never having had it to loving the stuff instantly.

westofyou
05-24-2010, 12:32 PM
For mexican food I prefer California over the southwest, as a non meat eater I find that the coast give me the best of fresh vegtables, but the real key is the fusion of asian influences into menus, at least for me.

reds1869
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
For mexican food I prefer California over the southwest, as a non meat eater I find that the coast give me the best of fresh vegtables, but the real key is the fusion of asian influences into menus, at least for me.

Yes, I love California mexican cuisine as well. I pretty much love all mexican cuisine but the fresh ingredients in California are unbeatable.

As for California food, I'm a big fan of San Francisco. So many great things to enjoy there. My first trip to China Town was a real eye opener and set me on a life long journey with asian cooking.

westofyou
05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Yes, I love California mexican cuisine as well. I pretty much love all mexican cuisine but the fresh ingredients in California are unbeatable.

As for California food, I'm a big fan of San Francisco. So many great things to enjoy there. My first trip to China Town was a real eye opener and set me on a life long journey with asian cooking.
One of my last trips I saw a guy with an immense goiter, that will open your eyes too...

reds1869
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
One of my last trips I saw a guy with an immense goiter, that will open your eyes too...
:laugh:

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
KC - BBQ. I prefer brisket, no sauce. I'm also a sucker for the high-end stuff at Fiorella's Jack's Stack as opposed to the Wonder Bread at Arthur Bryant's.

TRF
05-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I haven't been to California since I was a kid, but I love Tex-Mex. So many little authentic Mexican restaurants between Amarillo and El Paso.

Also strangely enough, a lot of Asian restaurants here in Amarillo, with the opposite of what woy stated, a little mexican flavor thrown in.

pedro
05-24-2010, 06:12 PM
KC - BBQ. I prefer brisket, no sauce. I'm also a sucker for the high-end stuff at Fiorella's Jack's Stack as opposed to the Wonder Bread at Arthur Bryant's.

I'm with you on the brisket. yum.

I'm going to Austin on October and some brisket I'll be having for sure.

pedro
05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Some of the best food I've ever had was the pan-asian cuisine in hawaii.

Rojo
05-24-2010, 06:48 PM

San Diego, LA and SF Mexican are all different. The best is SD although it may be the least like the food eaten in Mexico.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Along Interstate-1, I love to stop at Italian places and go for the different noodles and tomato sauces.

SunDeck
05-25-2010, 06:59 AM

I don't know anything about BBQ out your way, Johnny. What is a brisket (I thought that was beef)? Is that more common than ribs with the red sauce?

And does BBQ in KC differ from what you would get in, say, Texas?

TRF
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't know anything about BBQ out your way, Johnny. What is a brisket (I thought that was beef)? Is that more common than ribs with the red sauce?

god yes. Huge difference in KC, Memphis and TX bbq. all good, just different. Plus, Texas being the size that it is, BBQ is different in the panhandle from what is served in Dallas and other parts.

westofyou
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I like North Carolina BBQ myself.

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Brisked is indeed smoked beef, sliced fairly thin and usually served on a bun. It's quicker and less messy than a slab of ribs.

KC BBQ tends to be sweeter and less spicy than what you'd find in Texas or California. I've also heard that KC BBQ is smokier and a bit drier than Texas BBQ.

SunDeck
05-25-2010, 06:08 PM
god yes. Huge difference in KC, Memphis and TX bbq. all good, just different. Plus, Texas being the size that it is, BBQ is different in the panhandle from what is served in Dallas and other parts.

Thought maybe that was the case. There is both eastern and western Carolina BBQ, and the stuff they serve in South Carolina is yellow, with a mustardy flavor, which I do not like very much. I know in Eastern Tennessee they serve vinegar based BBQ, like in N. Carolina, but I don't know how far west it extends. Possibly, no further than Ott's in Knoxville...

SunDeck
05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Brisked is indeed smoked beef, sliced fairly thin and usually served on a bun. It's quicker and less messy than a slab of ribs.

KC BBQ tends to be sweeter and less spicy than what you'd find in Texas or California. I've also heard that KC BBQ is smokier and a bit drier than Texas BBQ.

Smoked Beef- I'm hooked already. And I like the less mess. It's one of the reasons I don't eat the red stuff too much. Or blue crabs.

pedro
05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.stephthegrillinggourmet.com/Smoked%20Brisket%201.jpg

OldRightHander
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM

That looks quite edible.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
While we're on the subject, I haven't found any "good" BBQ places in the Portland/Vancouver Metro area. Is there one worth trying? I've tried several, but haven't gone back to any of them.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 07:08 PM
I like North Carolina BBQ myself.

Just curious. What does a vegetarian barbecue?

SunDeck
05-25-2010, 08:00 PM
What is that Pedro?

westofyou
05-25-2010, 08:04 PM
That's brisket

westofyou
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Just curious. What does a vegetarian barbecue?
Not much, but I do seiten kabobs time to time.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Thank you.

Rojo
05-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Boy, you really know how to live.

westofyou
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Boy, you really know how to live.

If eating meat equals "high living" then I prefer to live low.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 09:40 PM
If eating meat equals "high living" then I prefer to live low.

Which is your favorite place to eat in Portland?

westofyou
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Which is your favorite place to eat in Portland?

http://www.elenisrestaurant.com/

pedro
05-26-2010, 12:12 AM
While we're on the subject, I haven't found any "good" BBQ places in the Portland/Vancouver Metro area. Is there one worth trying? I've tried several, but haven't gone back to any of them.

Podnah's at NE Prescott and 15th is very good IMO and after living in Georgia for 10 years I'm a bit of a BBQ snob. The brisket there is incredible.

Russell Street BBQ is pretty good too. Better sides and dining experience than Podnahs but the meat isn't quite as good.

Johnny Footstool
05-26-2010, 12:53 AM

Nice bark, decent smoke ring. A little too much fat cap, but it still makes my mouth water.

SunDeck
05-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Bark. Smoke Ring. Fat Cap.
This is real food.

BoydsOfSummer
05-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Christ...that brisket flung a craving on me! Might hit the joint here in Hamiltucky later and score some.

RBA
05-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Santa Maria Style BBQ: Tri-Tip

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
With all the love of Barbecuing, has anyone built their own pit (or did their father when it was so popular to do so in the 1950's)?

westofyou
05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
With all the love of Barbecuing, has anyone built their own pit (or did their father when it was so popular to do so in the 1950's)?

My father built one in the 60's, of course he couldn't cook a frozen dinner with a microwave but he built one anyway.

RBA
05-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Bought a stainless steel at Costco several years ago. Best BBQ, I have ever own.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.elenisrestaurant.com/

Is that Sellwood location next to the old Sellwood Theater? I've driven by there and noticed a new restaurant in that spot (about 5 years ago, though).

Thanks, again, for the info.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:21 PM
My father built one in the 60's, of course he couldn't cook a frozen dinner with a microwave but he built one anyway.

I love those homemade barbecues. Never made one myself...just dreamed about it many times and read a 1000 different plans.

pedro
05-26-2010, 07:23 PM

The idea of him building anything is kind of comical honestly.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Podnah's at NE Prescott and 15th is very good IMO and after living in Georgia for 10 years I'm a bit of a BBQ snob. The brisket there is incredible.

Russell Street BBQ is pretty good too. Better sides and dining experience than Podnahs but the meat isn't quite as good.

I lived on 14th and Ainsworth from 2003-2008. I can't believe I missed that place....walking distance.

I'll go check it out.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:27 PM

I don't like Russell Street's, though. Tried it 4-5 times just to be sure. I know it's considered good (for around Portland), so I know it's just me and my "barbecue" tastes. I also don't have a "fine cuisine" pallet, so that needs to be taken into consideration. I like "sweet and smoky" barbecue sauce, but then that's probably not a good description of barbecue in the barbecue world.

westofyou
05-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Is that Sellwood location next to the old Sellwood Theater? I've driven by there and noticed a new restaurant in that spot (about 5 years ago, though).

Thanks, again, for the info.

More in Sellwood proper, the theater is in what's called Westmoreland (and is about 5 blocks from my house)

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Bought a stainless steel at Costco several years ago. Best BBQ, I have ever own.

Some of those (and they've got some good ones at Costco) are just out of this world gorgeous. Seems like you almost have to have a pool to go along with some of them.

pedro
05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't like Russell Street's, though. Tried it 4-5 times just to be sure. I know it's considered good (for around Portland), so I know it's just me and my "barbecue" tastes. I also don't have a "fine cuisine" pallet, so that needs to be taken into consideration. I like "sweet and smoky" barbecue sauce, but then that's probably not a good description of barbecue in the barbecue world.

I actually went to Russell Street the other day for the first time in a long time and had a brisket sandwich and it was pretty marginal. I just don't see any reason to chop brisket up like pulled pork, not if it's any good anyway. Podnah's is all about the meat. I think you'll like it.

http://podnahspit.com/?p=photos

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
More in Sellwood proper, the theater is in what's called Westmoreland (and is about 5 blocks from my house)

There's a "poet's house" down there, where visiting poets from around the country can stay for free whenever they're in town giving a reading. Probably about 15-20 blocks North of the old Theater I want to say, but it could be farther. They'll have readings there, too.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I actually went to Russell Street the other day for the first time in a long time and had a brisket sandwich and it was pretty marginal. I just don't see any reason to chop brisket up like pulled pork, not if it's any good anyway. Podnah's is all about the meat. I think you'll like it.

The outdoor one on 33rd and Killingsworth in the New Season's Parking lot has a great smell when you go by. Do you like that one?

pedro
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
The outdoor one on 33rd and Killingsworth in the New Season's Parking lot has a great smell when you go by. Do you like that one?

pretty good ribs, don't care for their brisket.

Johnny Footstool
05-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I like "sweet and smoky" barbecue sauce, but then that's probably not a good description of barbecue in the barbecue world.

It's a great description, actually. It sounds like you'd like KC-style BBQ. You might be able to find KC Masterpiece sauce at the grocery store. It's generally sweet and smokey.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
I had no idea there were this many "regional" BBQ sauces.

I hate the thought of BBQ sauce in a bottle, but I'm going to give the KC-Masterpiece a try.

Kingspoint
05-27-2010, 04:10 AM

Nice area. It was either Sellwood, Oregon City (close to downtown in one of their older homes), or where I chose (14th and Ainsworth) back in December of 2002 to live. My preference of "spot" would have been Sellwood, but the deal was better over at 14th and Ainsworth, and I couldn't turn it down. It was harder to find the right place in Sellwood, though you said you're in Westmoreland. I didn't go that far South.

TRF
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Chopped brisket is very Texas. well panhandle at least. I don't see it in Dallas when I'm there as much.

pedro
05-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Chopped brisket is very Texas. well panhandle at least. I don't see it in Dallas when I'm there as much.

I just don't get it. Destroys all the texture and makes it like a sloppy joe.

TRF
05-28-2010, 10:57 AM

chopped brisket here is a dry rubbed brisket. you can add sauce to it, but mostly served on a bun with onions and pickles.

Today my son graduates High School, and he chose BBQ for his dinner. smart kid.

SunDeck
05-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Loose meat. I went to Maid Rite (http://www.maid-rite.com/) once, because a friend from Iowa said I absolutely had to try the stuff. He'd come to Cincy once and was knocked over by Skyline and wanted me to experience his regional cuisine. Unfortunately, I found the loose meat sandwich to be something of a let down. Their root beer, however, was extraordinary.

Roy Tucker
05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
mmmmm....

the smoker is getting broken out this weekend. Brisket tomorrow night and pork shoulder on Memorial Day.

My neighbors get mad at me because it smells like good BBQ all weekend. I tell them if they buy the meat, I'll throw it in with mine.

Kingspoint
05-28-2010, 04:32 PM
My neighbors get mad at me because it smells like good BBQ all weekend. I tell them if they buy the meat, I'll throw it in with mine.

Like a good neighbor.

:thumbup:

SandyD
05-30-2010, 08:14 PM

Not all Texas brisket is chopped. Had some pretty good brisket from a Texas vendor (from Taylor Tx, don't remember them name) at the road food fest in March. Really good, and it wasn't chopped. Texas is such a big state, and I'm sure there's different styles. And I like different styles of BBQ. Different tastes for different times.

I had a seafood chowder from the Maine Diner at the same road food fest. Only chowder I've ever liked. But then, the only "real" chowder I've had was in Baltimore, in the winter, and likely not the best available. Still, the Maine Diner chowder was really good.

Red in Chicago
05-30-2010, 09:15 PM

Last week was my first trip to San Francisco. We went to China Town based on a couple of recommendations (House of Nanking and Great Hunan). These were easily the only bad food experiences that we had on the trip. Admittedly, I'm not fond of Chinese food, so I went in with very low expectations. However, my friend who loves Chinese food, was not very happy either.

Having said that, we did have some good experiences with a couple of Italian restaurants in Little Italy. For dessert, we found ourselves enjoying cupcakes from Kara's on more than one occasion.

OldRightHander
05-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Their root beer, however, was extraordinary.

There is a steak house in Salt Lake called Ruby River. Along with very good steaks, they brew their own root beer there and it is excellent.

Kingspoint
06-05-2010, 12:12 AM
"Secret's in the Sauce"